Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

[font=Arial, sans-serif]JJ Kavanagh & Sons Co. Senior Hurling Championship Group A[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]16/04/2017[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]14:00[/font] [font=Arial, sans-serif]De La Salle[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]-[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]vs[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Ballyduff Upper[/font] [font=Arial, sans-serif]Round 1[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]15:30[/font] [font=Arial, sans-serif]Tallow[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Ballygunner/Baile Gunnair[/font] [font=Arial, sans-serif]Round 1[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]19:00[/font] [font=Arial, sans-serif]Dungarvan[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Abbeyside[/font] [font=Arial, sans-serif]Round 1[/font]

15/4/2017

[font=Arial, sans-serif]14:00[/font] [font=Arial, sans-serif]Roanmore[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Portlaw[/font] [font=Arial, sans-serif]Round 1[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]18:00[/font] [font=Arial, sans-serif]Lismore[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Passage[/font] [font=Arial, sans-serif]Round 1[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]19:30[/font] [font=Arial, sans-serif]Mt. Sion[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Fourmilewater[/font] [font=Arial, sans-serif]Round 1[/font]

DLS
    Ballygunner
    Abbeyside
    Roanmore
    Passage
    Mount Sion

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Am I reading this correctly?

you think brick walsh should not be on the Waterford team?

:eek:

the longer I watch hurling matchs the more I realise that half the lads watching haven`t the faintest idea whats going on in front of them or how things happened. they just look from the program to the scoreboard and that's it
    of course i think Brick should not be in the team ,every dog has his day ,and he has consistently gone from being a phenomenal team player ,a great Waterford captain ,all star,many MOTM displays to being a good intercounty player ,BUT every dog has his day ,and sooner or later things have to change .but his influence on the game now is minimal ,he cant/wont score no matter what opportunity is in front of him, ,i loved watching the brick play, his simplistic view on the game was inspiring, dominate the field, win the ball and give it to someone better placed to take a score ,id say looking back in those years when we were winning more Munster titles than loosing the Brick and Molumphy were two of the strongest players in the country ,they dominated the field not just midfield carried the ball and generally passed it into a 5 or 6 man forward line ,unbelievable player in some very good Waterford teams ,yes he WAS one of the best ,but every dog has its day ,also Mc Graths brand of football/rugby/is not helping ,

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

of course i think Brick should not be in the team ,every dog has his day ,and he has consistently gone from being a phenomenal team player ,a great Waterford captain ,all star,many MOTM displays to being a good intercounty player ,BUT every dog has his day ,and sooner or later things have to change .but his influence on the game now is minimal ,he cant/wont score no matter what opportunity is in front of him, ,i loved watching the brick play, his simplistic view on the game was inspiring, dominate the field, win the ball and give it to someone better placed to take a score ,id say looking back in those years when we were winning more Munster titles than loosing the Brick and Molumphy were two of the strongest players in the country ,they dominated the field not just midfield carried the ball and generally passed it into a 5 or 6 man forward line ,unbelievable player in some very good Waterford teams ,yes he WAS one of the best ,but every dog has its day ,also Mc Graths brand of football/rugby/is not helping ,
    I can honestly say that every Waterford match that I have been at for the last few years including 2017 ( which is all of them) that Brick has probably been our most consistent player. Brilliant workrate, great vision and sets up more scores than any other player on the team. It defies belief some of the comments that you read on here. Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

cascade12 wrote: »
    I can honestly say that every Waterford match that I have been at for the last few years including 2017 ( which is all of them) that Brick has probably been our most consistent player. Brilliant workrate, great vision and sets up more scores than any other player on the team. It defies belief some of the comments that you read on here. Jesus wept!

If I'm not mistaken, didn't brick win MOTM in the drawn Kilkenny game last year? Even if he didn't, he was phenomenal that day, the dogs day hasn't come yet as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Deiseen wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't brick win MOTM in the drawn Kilkenny game last year? Even if he didn't, he was phenomenal that day, the dogs day hasn't come yet as far as I'm concerned.

Pauric Mahony was man of the match that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

Pauric Mahony was man of the match that day.

He was actually better in the replay - a braveheart-like performance. You just have to look at the stats of any game he plays as he is rarely not among the top three contributors in terms of possessions, which makes the argument that he shouldn't be on the team redundant. His fielding, cuteness and determination are what Waterford could do with a lot more of. Had my doubts about him during league last year but my jesus did he prove his doubters wrong come championship. An absolute legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

He was actually better in the replay - a braveheart-like performance. You just have to look at the stats of any game he plays as he is rarely not among the top three contributors in terms of possessions, which makes the argument that he shouldn't be on the team redundant. His fielding, cuteness and determination are what Waterford could do with a lot more of.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Agreed

Brick was outstanding against us in the replay i think he contributed to 1-5 and had buckley in trouble.people saying he should be dropped is madness

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

brookville wrote: »
    Brick was outstanding against us in the replay i think he contributed to 1-5 and had buckley in trouble.people saying he should be dropped is madness

Well said. Also just because he doesn't score, doesn't mean he should not be on a top intercounty side. Just look at Dan McCormack for Tipp. He's not noted for scoring and is part of possibly the most lethal forward unit ever to play the game. Plays a get down, dirty, holding role that sets up and supports the other forwards - just like Brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

So Patrick Curran is suspended, what of Maurice Shanahan? Anyone able to clear that one up?
    Think will probably see victories for Roanmore, Mt Sion (close call), Ballygunner, DLS and Abbeyside.
    Would give Lismore a chance against Passage they have some very good players but still have some doubts about mentality of a few if gotten on top of. Tentative vote to Passage from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭tommylad1212

DiscoStew wrote: »
    So Patrick Curran is suspended, what of Maurice Shanahan? Anyone able to clear that one up?
    Think will probably see victories for Roanmore, Mt Sion (close call), Ballygunner, DLS and Abbeyside.
    Would give Lismore a chance against Passage they have some very good players but still have some doubts about mentality of a few if gotten on top of. Tentative vote to Passage from me.

Maurice plays not suspended, as he was sent off in a different competition

Maurice plays not suspended, as he was sent off in a different competition

Strange rule when was in club championship but gives Lismore a real chance. Interesting to see how Kenny Moore is incorporated into the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Lismore have a strong team out, should be a good game. Kenny Moore gone wing back and Paudie Pendergast is in the wing forward line. 
    Jamie Barron named at midfield for FW, will he play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Passage 3-13 lismore 1-3 HT

Now mid way thru second half its 3-14 to 4-8. Hat trick for Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

5-10 to 3-14 now

KevIRL wrote: »
    Passage 3-13 lismore 1-3 HT

Now mid way thru second half its 3-14 to 4-8. Hat trick for Dan

Here was me thinking lismore were finished...

Bring Dan back onto the panel :P

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Bring Dan back onto the panel :P

Was just saying that to meself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lismore 6-13- Passage 3-18 62 mins

Result from earlier Roanmore 1-17- Portlaw 1-12

Full Time Lismore 6-13 Passage 3-19 Lismore were 16 points down at half time Shanahans scored 6-9 between them 2-8 for Maurice 4-1 for Dan

Tomas Mccarthy Twitter

• Advertisement

4-1 for Dan the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Half Time Fourmilewater 0-13 Mount Sion 0-5 Dylan Guiry 0-4 Conor Gleeson & Jamie Barron 0-3 each

Tomas mac twitter

Half Time Fourmilewater 0-13 Mount Sion 0-5 Dylan Guiry 0-4 Conor Gleeson & Jamie Barron 0-3 each

Tomas mac twitter

11mins 2nd Half
    Fourmilewater: 0-15(15)
    Mount Sion: 0-10(10)

11mins 2nd Half
    Fourmilewater: 0-15(15)
    Mount Sion: 0-10(10)

21mins 2nd Half
    Fourmilewater: 0-18(18)
    Mount Sion: 0-12(12)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Full Time Lismore 6-13 Passage 3-19 Lismore were 16 points down at half time Shanahans scored 6-9 between them 2-8 for Maurice 4-1 for Dan

Tomas Mccarthy Twitter

Some comeback. Was there a wind?

Full time
    Fourmilewater: 0-23(23)
    Mount Sion: 1-13(16)

debok wrote: »
    Some comeback. Was there a wind?

In Fraher Field? Hardly!

Some comeback from Lismore, looked dead and buried. Early goals in second half was just the tonic and my did they take advantage of some naive Passage defending.

Senior Hurling Championship
    Roanmore 1-17 (20)- Portlaw 1-12 (15)
    Lismore 6-13 (31)- Passage 3-19 (28)
    Fourmilewater 0-23- Mount Sion 1-13 (16)

Western Intermediate Hurling Championship
    Clashmore 2-14 (20)- Brickey Rangers 2-11 (17)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

In Fraher Field? Hardly!

Some comeback from Lismore, looked dead and buried. Early goals in second half was just the tonic and my did they take advantage of some naive Passage defending.

With the recent defections from the panel did anyone stand out in the two games apart from the present incumbents on the panel?

• Advertisement

Deise Gael wrote: »
    In Fraher Field? Hardly!

With the recent defections from the panel did anyone stand out in the two games apart from the present incumbents on the panel?

Actually 3 games today. Waiting on your mate to name the 4.

Not sure what your dig is about. Apologies if I hit a nerve.

I wasn't in Dungarvan this evening, but, according to reports the Passage v Lismore match especially, seemed to be a humdinger so I was genuinely wondering who played well, not alone in that match but the one after it.

I'll be there tomorrow to support my own team so I will not have to come on here to ask about the games or the players.

I was at the game in Walsh Park today. Awful day for Billy Nolan as he seemed to have a recurrence of his previous collar bone injury. I was impressed with Portlaw's resilience against the odds to bring it back to 5 points at the finish.

Apart from Gavin O'Brien - before his straight red - and DJ Foran I didn't see anyone else who put their hands up.

As a aside, your's is the type of childish and snide comment that begets much of the vitriol on here.

Pa Walsh was outstanding in the first half for Passage but like a lot of them missing in the second half. John Whitty was also impressive during the first period.
    The scorers reflect the Lismore story, it was Maurice and Dan really. Good assistance from Paudie & Jack Prendergast and Ray Barry had some good moments but left with what looked a hamstring injury near the end. Seanie Barry made two very good saves.
    Mt Sion were poor, FMW played very effectively from deep. Shane Walsh rolled back the years. Dylan Guiry had a very impressive first half. Tom Barron, Jamie's younger brother, had a fine senior debut for FMW. Shane Ryan decent playing as a sweeper again. Conor Gleeson played very well and Jamie Barron effective as ever.
    How many could be senior panelists that haven't previously or walked away from it, hard to say. Dylan Guiry and Tom Barron in a few years possibly. Seanie Barry could add extra competition to the keepers there now but may not fancy playing third choice. Jack Prendergast could make senior panel down the line too but not too many would expect to go straight on to panel that haven't been there previously.

Pa Walsh was outstanding in the first half for Passage but like a lot of them missing in the second half. John Whitty was also impressive during the first period.
    The scorers reflect the Lismore story, it was Maurice and Dan really. Good assistance from Paudie & Jack Prendergast and Ray Barry had some good moments but left with what looked a hamstring injury near the end. Seanie Barry made two very good saves.
    Mt Sion were poor, FMW played very effectively from deep. Shane Walsh rolled back the years. Dylan Guiry had a very impressive first half. Tom Barron, Jamie's younger brother, had a fine senior debut for FMW. Shane Ryan decent playing as a sweeper again. Conor Gleeson played very well and Jamie Barron effective as ever.
    How many could be senior panelists that haven't previously or walked away from it, hard to say. Dylan Guiry and Tom Barron in a few years possibly. Seanie Barry could add extra competition to the keepers there now but may not fancy playing third choice. Jack Prendergast could make senior panel down the line too but not too many would expect to go straight on to panel that haven't been there previously.

Sound man, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I thought Austin Gleeson played well also. In fairness Mt Sion are extremely limited but he did all he could.

I thought Austin Gleeson played well also. In fairness Mt Sion are extremely limited but he did all he could.

Ya he was pretty good. Conor Gleeson still got on a lot of ball however. Austin was moving well which was good to see, looks bigger than last year again. Hard to tell at this stage if it's a positive or negative but at least was moving well.
    Sion were very limited up top, Roche was well marshalled especially in the first half and was little of Fish O'Neill. This could probably be attributed to Fmw's system too which they utilised to great effect, sitting deep and springing forward.

• Advertisement

Anyone have a list of the management teams for senior Clubs this year ???

Anyone have a list of the management teams for senior Clubs this year ???

Waterford news and star had all that this week I think. Seen it been advertised.

De La Salle 0-21- Ballyduff Upper 1-13 (16)
    Tallow 0-5- Ballygunner 3-25 (34)

Current Score- Dungarvan 2-9- Abbeyside 0-5- 40 mins

full time Dungarvan 2-19- Abbeyside 0-8

not trying to start an argument but would Derek Mcgrath been better off watching the club games instead of being in Kilkenny for the League semi final ???

Tipp look very very good and what makes it worse is there going to improve by the time they could play us in June :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Hon the old boro ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Hslaw wrote: »
    Hon the old boro ðŸ˜

any idea why Patrick Curren wasant named in the Dungarvan squad ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Suspended for red card in last years semi against passage

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

As far as I know he was suspended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

PTH2009 wrote:
    not trying to start an argument but would Derek Mcgrath been better off watching the club games instead of being in Kilkenny for the League semi final ???

Maybe, because, as an inter county manager the best place in the world he could have been was in Kilkenny today?

Hslaw wrote: »
    As far as I know he was suspended

thanks worried for a min he finished up hurling

Ballygunner sound like the most impressive team this weekend but what a comeback from Lismore

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

full time Dungarvan 2-19- Abbeyside 0-8

Tipp look very very good and what makes it worse is there going to improve by the time they could play us in June :(:(:(
    He should have been at the club matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

culbaire wrote: »
    He should have been at the club matches.

Waterford management have to be focussed on who they have to beat between now and (hopefully) September so seeing Tipp and Wexford up front today is a lot more important than watching club matches. He'll see the players be needs to know about when they train next.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Waterford management have to be focussed on who they have to beat between now and (hopefully) September so seeing Tipp and Wexford up front today is a lot more important than watching club matches. He'll see the players be needs to know about when they train next.
    How will he "see players he needs to know about when they train next"? That does not make sense. The message from his non attendance is that he has a closed mind. He has no intension of altering the panel even if some more players come to the fore. He has contempt for the club scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

How will he see the possible opposition if he doesn't look at them at close quarters? There is no way the he can do good by you anyway, so I'm baffled why I'm bothering to type this. But it will take a great side to beat tipp this year.

Here's hoping!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

This used to be a good productive site for discussion despite the usual idiots but when people say that Derek should have been here or there and in two places at the one time it beggars belief. The serious posters are leaving in droves.

On another note I hope that Conor Gleeson will make it back in time after his injury on Saturday, we need him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement