Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Also, I was impressed by Darragh Lyons tonight. He looks the next best thing to Jamie Barron as a back up to do his job. Young Tom Barron was excellent Saturday as well and has a big future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

[/QUOTE]
    He should have been at the club matches.[/quote]

He was at a good few club matches over the weekend aswell. Given your obsession with him I'm surprised you didn't know. Given Tipp are our likely opponents in the championship I'd be worried if he wasn't watching them closely. If he was watching that Ballygunner-Tallow farse instead no doubt you'd be accusing him of glorifying his pets instead of doing his job properly

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

PTH2009 wrote: »
    full time Dungarvan 2-19- Abbeyside 0-8

not trying to start an argument but would Derek Mcgrath been better off watching the club games instead of being in Kilkenny for the League semi final ???

Tipp look very very good and what makes it worse is there going to improve by the time they could play us in June :(:(:(
    Mc Grath could watch club games alright ,but unfortunately he is where he is 4/5 years in the job and getting worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Anyone have the u17 team for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

This used to be a good productive site for discussion despite the usual idiots but when people say that Derek should have been here or there and in two places at the one time it beggars belief. The serious posters are leaving in droves.

On another note I hope that Conor Gleeson will make it back in time after his injury on Saturday, we need him.
    You have "distinguished" yourself by making ad hominem attacks on those who dare ask the hard questions. Not for the first time you have made personal remarks in relation to me. Really you need to grow up. I will continue to ask the hard questions whether you like it or not. We are not living in North Korea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

culbaire wrote: »
    He should have been at the club matches.

Indeed...heard the Lismore full forward is banging in goals, hopefully Derek has an eye on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

How will he "see players he needs to know about when they train next"? That does not make sense. The message from his non attendance is that he has a closed mind. He has no intension of altering the panel even if some more players come to the fore. He has contempt for the club scene.

The message from his non attendance is that he knows his squad and doesn't need to see them play in club matches at this time of year. Every other inter county manager does the same and attend interncounty matches watching potential opposition. You don't unearth new players from club matches this time of year. Managers learn about the form of their squad in training and challenge matches and not club matches.

The message from his non attendance is that he knows his squad and doesn't need to see them play in club matches at this time of year. Every other inter county manager does the same and attend interncounty matches watching potential opposition. You don't unearth new players from club matches this time of year. Managers learn about the form of their squad in training and challenge matches and not club matches.
    Typical mentality that has left Waterford where it is with no All Ireland Senior win, since 1959. So new players can't come to the fore in the club championships? You must be joking!

Deise Gael wrote: »
    Actually 3 games today. Waiting on your mate to name the 4.

Not sure what your dig is about. Apologies if I hit a nerve.

I wasn't in Dungarvan this evening, but, according to reports the Passage v Lismore match especially, seemed to be a humdinger so I was genuinely wondering who played well, not alone in that match but the one after it.

I'll be there tomorrow to support my own team so I will not have to come on here to ask about the games or the players.

I was at the game in Walsh Park today. Awful day for Billy Nolan as he seemed to have a recurrence of his previous collar bone injury. I was impressed with Portlaw's resilience against the odds to bring it back to 5 points at the finish.

Apart from Gavin O'Brien - before his straight red - and DJ Foran I didn't see anyone else who put their hands up.

As a aside, your's is the type of childish and snide comment that begets much of the vitriol on here.

You hit no nerve. I just don't like the constant bashing of Derek on here. Whether ur in the Derek camp or not , we are not going to change manager at this stage. So can we all get behind this team and be positive. Who knows we may fall at the first and second hurdle and then again we may get over the last. But to constantly have a go at Derek IMO is not right. Up The DEISE.

• Advertisement

Deise Gael wrote: »
    Actually 3 games today. Waiting on your mate to name the 4.

Not sure what your dig is about. Apologies if I hit a nerve.

I wasn't in Dungarvan this evening, but, according to reports the Passage v Lismore match especially, seemed to be a humdinger so I was genuinely wondering who played well, not alone in that match but the one after it.

I'll be there tomorrow to support my own team so I will not have to come on here to ask about the games or the players.

I was at the game in Walsh Park today. Awful day for Billy Nolan as he seemed to have a recurrence of his previous collar bone injury. I was impressed with Portlaw's resilience against the odds to bring it back to 5 points at the finish.

Apart from Gavin O'Brien - before his straight red - and DJ Foran I didn't see anyone else who put their hands up.

As a aside, your's is the type of childish and snide comment that begets much of the vitriol on here.

You hit no nerve. I just don't like the constant bashing of Derek on here. Whether ur in the Derek camp or not , we are not going to change manager at this stage. So can we all get behind this team and be positive. Who knows we may fall at the first and second hurdle and then again we may get over the last. But to constantly have a go at Derek IMO is not right. Up The DEISE.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Typical mentality that has left Waterford where it is with no All Ireland Senior win, since 1959. So new players can't come to the fore in the club championships? You must be joking!

Mother of God! There's another round of club games next weekend, where Derek can attend and analyse players. Dan was at a number of games this weekend. Derek watched our likely opponents and can watch club games next weekend. Surely that's getting the best of both!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

You are living in the dark ages, intercounty managers know their squads by now and have had winter cup competitions, the league, training sessions, Fitzgibbon to decide who they need. Focus now is in getting squads ready for championship. It's good that club matches are happening but inter county managers are not depending on club matches at this time of the year for players to "come into the fore". Applies in every county, football and hurling. Maybe back in the 60's and 70's when training only started a few weeks before championship that applied.

U 17 Hurling
    32mins 1st Half
    Clare: 0-8(8)
    Waterford: 1-11(14)

Taken from Munster gas

Gaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

He was at games Saturday and I think the chance to see Tipp going full pelt in a match makes him right to go see them on Sunday. Also if suddenly new fellas were brought straight into panel after having a good game in first round of championship you would on here saying it was a sign of desperation bringing new players in so close to championship. Of course new players can come to the fore and I'm sure with all the back room team they have,every game was watched but at this stage it would have to take an unbelievable performance in my opinion to get onto championship panel now. Last years club championship and 3rd level competitions at start of year are when fellas should be scouted for this year. Have good club championship this year and get your intercounty chance next year. I also feel your putting down alot of great players and managers by questioning there mentality since 1959.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

I would strongly recommend you apply to Waterford whispers for a job. you would fit right in.

this lad rambling on about going to club matchs must think its the 1950s.
    There isn't a player over 18 years of age in Waterford that Mcgrath doesn't know about

There isn't a player over 18 years of age in Waterford that Mcgrath doesn't know about

Derek is at the u17 match in Clare at present.

Derek is at the u17 match in Clare at present.

U 17 Hurling
    32mins 1st Half
    Clare: 0-8(8)
    Waterford: 1-11(14)

Taken from Munster gas

U 17 Hurling
    Full Time Clare: 0-14(14)
    Waterford: 2-16(22)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Good win for the under 17s . Munster final next Tuesday night in Waterford versus Tipp or Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

McGrath should not have been at it, he should have gone to the fourmilewater post match day debriefing!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Mulbert wrote: »
    McGrath should not have been at it, he should have gone to the fourmilewater post match day debriefing!

Look he should be in the two places at once - we will never win an all ireland until he masters the art of bi-location

The word is transmoglificatiin!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 PaddyJoeOil

Has Derek been given a 3 year contract extension? Heard it over the weekend!

Oh? I heard it was a 200 year contract with a 10billion buy out clause, but I could be wrong I suppose.

If Derek doesn't get it, he should go to the courts n drag culbaire with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

If Derek doesn't get it, he should go to the courts n drag culbaire with him.

Derek is gone after this season 100% he is not staying on.

Can i ask those of you, who will be delighted to see Derek gone to show your true colours and name WHO YOU BELIEVE should be his successor??
    No fairytales please remember the County boards financial difficulties when choosing please..

Derek is gone after this season 100% he is not staying on.

Nothing like absolutes it has to be said.

Nothing like absolutes it has to be said.

Do you disagree Mulbert Or are you just posting in cryptic clues?

• Advertisement

In my humble opinion, there is nothing worse!

The word is transmoglificatiin!

I like you :D

JesusRef wrote:
    I like you

Thanks, we should get a room. Is this tinder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sean Power has the job after Derek

Hope we don't go with the likes of Peter Quelly or Fergal Hartley

Dj Carey ??

Good, I'll tell Sean so. Thanks for that. With out u or culbaire I would be positively depressed!

I would strongly recommend you apply to Waterford whispers for a job. you would fit right in.

I dont know - WWN stories at least have to have some semblance of reality for them to work

Candidate for corny joke of the year!!!!!

It was nice to see the U17s get a positive result against Clare after the walloping the minors got..

Granted i do realise all the best U17s are playing minor this year anyway so not much can be read into it.

Derek knows all. He is God. Waterford won an All Ireland senior title in 1959 and contested the 1957 All Ireland Final, playing hurling as it should be played!

• Advertisement

JesusRef wrote: »
    Look he should be in the two places at once - we will never win an all ireland until he masters the art of bi-location
    Sarcasm: The refuge of the shallow mind! Apologists for Derek McGrath out in force in recent days. Face facts. He has no interest in the club championships. Showed that yesterday!

culbaire wrote:
    Derek knows all. He is God. Waterford won an All Ireland senior title in 1959 and contested the 1957 All Ireland Final, playing hurling as it should be played!

Good man culbaire, thanks for the history lesson. They won a minor in 48 too. And a junior in the 30's I think. But I'm not a historian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Sarcasm: The refuge of the shallow mind! Apologists for Derek McGrath out in force in recent days. Face facts. He has no interest in the club championships. Showed that yesterday!

God forbid that the manager of a senior intercounty team would go and watch their next opponents up close! Even by your high anti McGrath standards this criticism is pretty low.

By all accounts I've come across of the club games which he didn't attend on Sunday he wouldn't have missed much with three very one sided victories for teams we all know will be in the last 8. If he had attended those games no doubt your party line would be that he was only at games featuring his 'pets' and he would be better off watching Tipp!

Maybe he was at the Passage Lismore game and decided it wasnt worth his while going to the club championship for the remaining weekend.

I mean that seriously, the standard was so poor that Dan at 30 would have scored 10 goals

God forbid that the manager of a senior intercounty team would go and watch their next opponents up close! Even by your high anti McGrath standards this criticism is pretty low.

By all accounts I've come across of the club games which he didn't attend on Sunday he wouldn't have missed much with three very one sided victories for teams we all know will be in the last 8. If he had attended those games no doubt your party line would be that he was only at games featuring his 'pets' and he would be better off watching Tipp!
    You are a new poster whose raison d'etre is to try and squash criticism of Derek McGrath. In one sided games some players can shine in adversity. Not as simple as you imply!

Good man culbaire, thanks for the history lesson. They won a minor in 48 too. And a junior in the 30's I think. But I'm not a historian.

This was my response to the ABOVE post from @Twiceasnice97
    That is why I focused on the 50s

• Advertisement

were you at the games?

All Ireland gold on tg4 finished all that ould sh1te talk about hurling from the past.
    a huge amount of it was brutal both in terms of skill and dirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Lads this is the same rubbish talk that caused the thread to be closed last week.

Im after a report on the u17 game if anyone has one?

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Lads this is the same rubbish talk that caused the thread to be closed last week.

Im after a report on the u17 game if anyone has one?

I cant find one myself but i do know that it is a decent team. Young Iarlaith Daly (Lismore) is a fine young hurler.

were you at the games?

All Ireland gold on tg4 finished all that ould sh1te talk about hurling from the past.
    a huge amount of it was brutal both in terms of skill and dirt

I saw great players like Phil Grimes, Mick Flannelly, Seamus Power, Martin Og Morrissey, John Barron, Jackie Condon, Joe Condon, Johnnny Kiely, Martin Og Morrissey, Tom Cheasty. Mickie O'Connor, Mick Lacey, Duck Whelan, Austin Flynn and Ned Power at their best. Players such as Grimes, Flannelly, Power et al had superb skill levels. Mickie O'Connor had an incredible body swerve but sadly was struck down in his prime with TB.
    Their skill levels were superior to any player in the current Waterford team. Saw the great Christy Ring, Eddie Keher, the Rackards, Nick O'Donnell , Phil Flood, Ned Wheeler, Jimmy Doyle, Donie Nealon, Liam Devenney, Tony Wall, Mick Roche and many many more from Cork and Tipperary. Saw them all in the flesh.

Can remember Club senior matches in Waterford, late 50s and early 60s. The Mt Sion team of that time would beat the pick of the current senior clubs in Waterford as would Erins Own.

There was no television coverage of 1957 and 1959 All Irelands. You had one camera from the likes of Pathe News which could not give proper coverage of the games.

I saw great players like Phil Grimes, Mick Flannelly, Seamus Power, Martin Og Morrissey, John Barron, Jackie Condon, Joe Condon, Johnnny Kiely, Martin Og Morrissey, Tom Cheasty. Mickie O'Connor, Mick Lacey, Duck Whelan, Austin Flynn and Ned Power at their best. Players such as Grimes, Flannelly, Power et al had superb skill levels. Mickie O'Connor had an incredible body swerve but sadly was struck down in his prime with TB.
    Their skill levels were superior to any player in the current Waterford team. Saw the great Christy Ring, Eddie Keher, the Rackards, Nick O'Donnell , Phil Flood, Ned Wheeler, Jimmy Doyle, Donie Nealon, Liam Devenney, Tony Wall, Mick Roche and many many more from Cork and Tipperary. Saw them all in the flesh.

Can remember Club senior matches in Waterford, late 50s and early 60s. The Mt Sion team of that time would beat the pick of the current senior clubs in Waterford as would Erins Own.

There was no television coverage of 1957 and 1959 All Irelands. You had one camera from the likes of Pathe News which could not give proper coverage of the games.

you must have so many interesting things to post about when it comes to hurling, its a shame that you choose to constantly post so negatively

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement