Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Brilliant interview with Aussie on Newstalk this evening, well worth the listen, very open and honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Brilliant interview with Aussie on Newstalk this evening, well worth the listen, very open and honest.

https://youtu.be/MoMfL26yNzY

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Gardner wrote: »

Dublin: they had Anthony Cunningham written all over them. absolutely bullied Kilkenny off the field. if they took their chances in the first half they would have won. they may challenge 3rd spot.

Kilkenny: took the league seriously because they had to in terms of rebuilding(same with Cork and Myler). Dublin did show for a vast period of the game that if TJ Reid is taken out of the game Kilkenny look very average. with Fennelly and Hogan coming back in they should offer something more but I still think they are ranked about 5th or 6th in terms of winning an all-Ireland.

While you have to admire Kilkenny’s resilience and never-say-die spirit, if any of the leading hurling counties had the amount and quality of possession Dublin had, they would have blown Kilkenny away. Even then, Kilkenny only won because Diarmuid Kirwan missed a blatant foul on Dublin corner back Bill O’Carroll in the lead-up to Blanchfield’s winning goal.. This is the same Diarmuid Kirwan who gifted Kilkenny the 2009 All-Ireland final with several glaring errors against Tipperary. The following year he rode Waterford in the under-21 championship against Tipp. He shouldn’t be anywhere near senior intercounty hurling.

Like Gardner, I cannot see Kilkenny as serious championship contenders. They have too many young players who don’t have the strength or conditioning to survive a tough championship campaign. Brian Cody designed a short-passing game for them as they are not able to win their own ball up front like the great Kilkenny teams of the past. Last Sunday they couldn’t win a ball in the half forward line to save their lives. Strangely, they didn’t try to play the short-ball game from the back, even against a five-man forward line.

Dublin looked good at the back but, like Waterford, they hit too many blind long balls to an undermanned full forward line without looking up. Fergal Whiteley also had a nightmare game with his shooting (apart from his wonderful first-time strike for Dublin’s second goal). With David Treacy, Eamon Dillon and Donal Burke to come back they will be stronger up front, but getting a win away to either Wexford or Galway is a big ask. But they could be serious contenders in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

nlrkjos wrote: »
    The lesser counties! Ye won the Liam McCarthy in 1948 and 1959 !!!!!!!!!!!that's twice in 97 years
    Are you a Liverpool fan aswell by any chance? They make great history teachers too

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

The lesser counties! Ye won the Liam McCarthy in 1948 and 1959 !!!!!!!!!!!that's twice in 97 years
    or two All Ireland's since 1884

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Or twice in 11 years !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Gardner

Tramore84 wrote: »

are we really having this discussion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The footballers playing tipp in thurles tomorrow night. Can't hold out much hope for them but mcglinchey was pretty cutting in his comments yesterday.

Tramore84 wrote: »
    that's much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

KevIRL wrote: »
    The footballers playing tipp in thurles tomorrow night. Can't hold out much hope for them but mcglinchey was pretty cutting in his comments yesterday.

Very nearly and probably should have beaten Cork last year, if Tipp take their eye off the ball they could be easily caught.

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    Very nearly and probably should have beaten Cork last year, if Tipp take their eye off the ball they could be easily caught.

More of a chance of cork taking their eye off the ball than tipp tho. Especially in thurles, despite the tipp manager voicing concerns about games two weeks in a row despite having not won the first one.

More of a chance of cork taking their eye off the ball than tipp tho. Especially in thurles, despite the tipp manager voicing concerns about games two weeks in a row despite having not won the first one.

That's them Kerry lads for you, you wouldnt get a humble Tipp man making any such assumptions!!

To be fair to Kearns he was very consistent in referring to it as a ''potential'' issue.

danganabu wrote: »
    That's them Kerry lads for you, you wouldnt get a humble Tipp man making any such assumptions!!

To be fair to Kearns he was very consistent in referring to it as a ''potential'' issue.

Yeah he's right to highlight it. Games on consecutive weeks have never happened before in the GAA sure. What with the penalty shoot outs negating the need for replays and suchlike.

Yeah he's right to highlight it. Games on consecutive weeks have never happened before in the GAA sure. What with the penalty shoot outs negating the need for replays and suchlike.

It was easily avoidable in the circumstances but he was actually wrong in who he was blaming, when the Munster Council agreed to move thegame from its original date both county boards coudnt agree on a new date and this SAturday was pretty much the only option and I believe it was the Tipp County Board who were the guilty party so it was his own employers he should have been voicing his concerns with and not the Munster Council via the national press.

are we really having this discussion?

We don't have a tradition of winning All Ireland's like other counties.....what did Pat Fanning say 'it takes something special to get up off the ground when your beaten...' ,always liked that quote.

Best of luck to the footballers tonight against Tipp

Huge ask too win but ya never knw. It's Cork in the semi on the 3rd June or Round 1 of the qualifers on the 9th June

http://www.gilroymcmahon.com/project.../cusack-pk.htm

i guess were not going to this version of Cusack Park next sunday ???

Did they run out of funds or something

Tipp 0-7 Waterford 0-3 HT

Tipp 0-20 Waterford 0-9 full time

Clare into what is looking like a do or die situation for them next week against us.

Today showed just how important home advantage is.

• Advertisement

Clare into what is looking like a do or die situation for them next week against us.

Today showed just how important home advantage is.

And if we lose then we're in a do or die situation vs Tipp in our 'home' game the week after.

Clare are very hard to beat in Ennis, we need to be at our best to win it. Ok we won there in the league last year but this is a diffent kettle of fish

The Waterford camp have been quite since the end of the league and we won't knw il throw in next Sunday what way we will play etc. It's hard to see us changing styles so late in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Todays Cork-Clare result changes nothing for us next week, it was always going to be an equally tough game to start out with. Had Clare had won today the argument is that their tails would be up and confidence high after beating Cork on their home patch.

If anything its the Limerick win that blows the championship wide open. Everyone was saying Tipp were the one team cert to qualify in Munster and it was 2 from 4 for the remaining 2 places. From what I can see that's not a forgone conclusion at all. Don't seem have a settled defence and relying on a couple of big names to come back who haven't played much hurling at all this year. Don't think anyone will fear them now.

Todays Cork-Clare result changes nothing for us next week, it was always going to be an equally tough game to start out with. Had Clare had won today the argument is that their tails would be up and confidence high after beating Cork on their home patch.

If anything its the Limerick win that blows the championship wide open. Everyone was saying Tipp were the one team cert to qualify in Munster and it was 2 from 4 for the remaining 2 places. From what I can see that's not a forgone conclusion at all. Don't seem have a settled defence and relying on a couple of big names to come back who haven't played much hurling at all this year. Don't think anyone will fear them now.

It felt great last year finally beating Kilkenny in the championship and it would be a great feeling to beat Tipp this year. Amazing it's 10 years since we last beat them in the championship (the famous All Ireland Semi final win)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

News from the camp is the lads are flying. Chomping at the bit to get going and that they will hit the ground running next Sunday. Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

cul beag wrote: »
    News from the camp is the lads are flying. Chomping at the bit to get going and that they will hit the ground running next Sunday. Great news.

Here we go:rolleyes::D

Was at the game yesterday. Unusual atmosphere about the place. Felt more like a quarter/semi-final of the league. Anyway, was sitting behind the Clare dugout, the Clare management wouldn’t fulfil you with much confidence if you were a Clare supporter. Hands on hips, scratching their heads and basically just been static on the line. I said it to herself at half time that Clare have played the game Waterford played in last years all Ireland semi-final in the first half and if they continue they will win it handy. Under every puck out and static ball Clare were narrow as ****. Basically 5 players in a straight line down the field between the 14 and 65 and then exploding out and dragging defenders everywhere. I don’t know what was said to them at half time but not once did they do it in the second half. It was baffling.
    Other than that it was an average enough game. Conlon is the same as Horgan for Cork, take them out of the game and you will win. Simple as that.

After watching that yesterday, I’m very confident we will win on Sunday. Most teams this year have chopped and changed and still trying to find players for particular positions. We can pick 1-10 everyday with Mahoney and Gleeson another 2. We then have 3 positions between 7 or 8 players who all have championship experience and can do a job. BTW after watching all teams to date this is still Galway’s All Ireland to lose. If we get off the blocks nice and early we will have at big say. 10/1 this morning on PP….. I’m having some of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Anyone got any insight into parking in Ennis?

deiseach wrote: »
    Anyone got any insight into parking in Ennis?

yep......car parks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

yep......car parks

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Was at the game yesterday. Unusual atmosphere about the place. Felt more like a quarter/semi-final of the league. Anyway, was sitting behind the Clare dugout, the Clare management wouldn’t fulfil you with much confidence if you were a Clare supporter. Hands on hips, scratching their heads and basically just been static on the line. I said it to herself at half time that Clare have played the game Waterford played in last years all Ireland semi-final in the first half and if they continue they will win it handy. Under every puck out and static ball Clare were narrow as ****. Basically 5 players in a straight line down the field between the 14 and 65 and then exploding out and dragging defenders everywhere. I don’t know what was said to them at half time but not once did they do it in the second half. It was baffling.
    Other than that it was an average enough game. Conlon is the same as Horgan for Cork, take them out of the game and you will win. Simple as that.

After watching that yesterday, I’m very confident we will win on Sunday. Most teams this year have chopped and changed and still trying to find players for particular positions. We can pick 1-10 everyday with Mahoney and Gleeson another 2. We then have 3 positions between 7 or 8 players who all have championship experience and can do a job. BTW after watching all teams to date this is still Galway’s All Ireland to lose. If we get off the blocks nice and early we will have at big say. 10/1 this morning on PP….. I’m having some of that!

Hope you didn't back Clare too heavily at 6/5. What do you make of McGraths body language when he's sitting in the dugout doing nothing in games? If he did a few gigs and reels would we get extra points off the judges?

Ropaire wrote: »
    Hope you didn't back Clare too heavily at 6/5. What do you make of McGraths body language when he's sitting in the dugout doing nothing in games? If he did a few gigs and reels would we get extra points off the judges?

had a nice bet on the been honest as i expected a lot more from Clare. half time i was happy enough as i stated above but sh!t happens.

what do i make of Derek sitting in the dugout doing nothing? its the league. who cares.

what i was trying to convey was the Clare management looked perplexed and lost at times. there was no plan B. during 2 stoppages in the second half Conlon and Galvin came over to the dugout to talk to management and Conlon shrugged his shoulders and seemed he got very little answers in terms of what he was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

had a nice bet on the been honest as i expected a lot more from Clare. half time i was happy enough as i stated above but sh!t happens.

what do i make of Derek sitting in the dugout doing nothing? its the league. who cares.

what i was trying to convey was the Clare management looked perplexed and lost at times. there was no plan B. during 2 stoppages in the second half Conlon and Galvin came over to the dugout to talk to management and Conlon shrugged his shoulders and seemed he got very little answers in terms of what he was looking for.

To be fair, we’ve all seen McGrath sit motionless in the dugout enough times over the past couple of years. Against Kilkenny in 2015, Maurice had a free with a couple of minutes to go and got no direction from the bench about what to do.

Against Tipp in Limerick in 2016, we were getting embarrassed and McGrath didn’t get up off his seat in the second half. In terms of a Plan B - we didn’t see one of those in a lot of games the last few years so I wouldn’t use that as a stick to beat the Clare management. I think what happened Clare yesterday is a universal failure from the whole set up. They just can’t seem to put it all together when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

For the day that was in it I had a tenner on Celtic @ 4/9, Limerick @ 2/1 and Cork @ 4/6, got around 70 back off it.

I was talkin more about Derek in general, like when he sat in the dugout for the All Ireland final like a lost lickle lamb while Dan goes full WWF mode up the touchline. Still,doeant matter what they're at if the other bench are as bad. Tipp are all over the place as well as Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

I haven’t checked PP but there’s no way Galway are 10/1 for the AI ; maybe you’re looking at the Football odds. After your (off the mark) confident prediction for the Cork match yesterday, I would prefer if you tipped Clare for next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mick_ser

looking to buy tickets for game Sunday, are they available via Super Value or online?

• Advertisement

I haven’t checked PP but there’s no way Galway are 10/1 for the AI ; maybe you’re looking at the Football odds. After your (off the mark) confident prediction for the Cork match yesterday, I would prefer if you tipped Clare for next Sunday.

He meant Waterford @ 10/1

mick_ser wrote: »
    looking to buy tickets for game Sunday, are they available via Super Value or online?

Both I believe

we are 10/1 to win AI

we are 10/1 to win AI
    Basically that means if you put a tenner on Waterford at 10/1 ,you lose a tenner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

We really have been shafted this year big time, every other team has an advantage of home games which i guarantee will be a key factor. Yet we play all away games an in Limerick of all bloody places. Very hard on the lads. Be some going to make the top 2 or even 3 the way the cards have been dealt. Game against Clare is a must win simple as that, Don't fancy us beating Tipp and going 0-2 puts us virtually out.

• Advertisement

Any update on how kevin moran, pauric mahoney and gleeson are going re. Injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

IanVW wrote: »
    Any update on how kevin moran, pauric mahoney and gleeson are going re. Injuries?

All fit and reading to go.

Heard kevin moran pulled his hamstring in a match the weekend behind closed doors and pauric mahoney hasnt been training

IanVW wrote: »
    Heard kevin moran pulled his hamstring in a match the weekend behind closed doors and pauric mahoney hasnt been training

They would be big enough loses but one thing is love to see pauric do this year is get into the game a bit more and don't keep relying on scoring frees

This must be Bricks last year and possibly Moran too. The retirement age is lowering so unbelievably Noel Connors, Soky, Pauric, Coughlan, Shane Fives are nearing the end of there intercounty careers and are all late 20s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

We were unlucky that we drew Tipp at home. If we had them away then we'd probably have three games in Thurles and might even have made the situation advantageous.

Missing the first week also is testing as Clare have a game under their belt, and by the time we play Limerick there could be some broken bodies.

All that said though with expectations low it does take the pressure off. It'll be interesting if nothing else, here's hoping they can turn the league form on its head.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They would be big enough loses but one thing is love to see pauric do this year is get into the game a bit more and don't keep relying on scoring frees

This must be Bricks last year and possibly Moran too. The retirement age is lowering so unbelievably Noel Connors, Soky, Pauric, Coughlan, Shane Fives are nearing the end of there intercounty careers and are all late 20s

The only thing you love more than predicting Waterford will lose is retiring fellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Pauric Mahony is only gone 26, how is that retirement age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Mahony has at least 4 or 5 years left in him, retirement me bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Niallers87

Listen pal, it's this negative sh1t that u have been consistently harping on about and how nervous u are about games, that pisses me off. I think u actually get off on the abuse u get, sick bastard that u are. This is a good Waterford panel that we have, I'll always back them, so cut the sh1t and get in or get the **** out.

Jaysus if you dont like what he has to say "pal", just put him on ignore!!

Would u ever go and **** off, ohh I'm a season ticket holder and I bring sandwiches to every game with a flask of cold tea... I pal go to a hell of a lot of junior, intermediate and senior club games, I know who the players are and what their form is. I'm just sick of reading ur **** on this page just because ur entitled to say what u want. This Waterford team has huge potential, and it's ***** like u that breed this whole bollix of holding them back, play sweeper, play defensive, etc. There's only one statistic that matters at the end of the game and thst is the final score

I think there is something wrong with your key****d/smartph***.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement