Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

1121122123124125127»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

danganabu wrote: »
    Well I think we all know there is a poster here who thinks that Coughlan's **** doesn't smell and will defend him no matter what, so yes I found it amusing that someone would call Coughlan out for what he is and the reaction from the fanboy should be hilarious. My sincerest apologies if I somehow offended you ;)
    Do you realize that a few people on here know who you are. And none of them read the Munster Express. So if you are going to call out a person who has no problem with his username stand up and be counted. But I doubt you will. I Know who you are you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

PTH2009 wrote: »
    looking at this were effectively out of getting to the Munster final if we lose next weekend. Possibly out of contention all togehter
    I don't think we'd be fully out but you'd probably have to think we would be as it'd be a psychological mountain to climb. We'd be relying on other teams to do us favours while also having to then try beat Limerick and Cork. As another poster said, it wouldn't be a huge surprise to lose every game at both minor and senior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Didnt want to post this in the immediate aftermath of the match lest it be seen as sour grapes - which it is not. Cusack Park should not be allowed host Munster senior hurling championship matches for the same reasons Walsh Park was not, while it is better than Walsh Park it is still not suitable for these matches.
    The facilities are beyond awful, not even a light in the tiny toilets. The pitchside covered terrace is useless, the terrace steps are so small it means anyone slightly bigger than you blocks view and its awkward to see what is going on, children have no chance of seeing anything at all. Health and safety wise there is a worrying lack of exits from the pitchside covered terrace. The terraces behind the goal are dilapidated as well. Parking options around the ground are poor and I imagine residents arent too happy on matchday.
    If Limerick lose this weekend then the last game between them and Clare is likely to be a playoff for championship survival and draw a huge crowd. I wouldnt like to be there.

This isnt a dig at Clare, the GAA imo have made a mistake with this home/away situation. We have 3 suitable hurling grounds in Munster, just play the games as neutral matches - allow Limerick/Cork/Tipp to have home/away arrangements if they wish but the default should be neutral grounds.

Other issues with the new format - it is too condensed, too many games happening at the same time, could easily be two games on Saturday and 2 on Sunday each weekend. Also needs to be stretched out a bit so there are more rest weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

The moderators are not doing their job when small cowards like ''danganabu'' are allowed to attempt make personal comments about people which are obviously untrue and then go hiding. The classic example of a little 'keyboard warrior''.

I will always stand up for my team, my county and my management.

Danganabu, either be a man or a pathetic little excuse. Everyone know who I am but if the moderators do not do their job, I will do it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

any news on injuries? players meeting last night i believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Have not posted for a while but having reflected on last Sunday's game I am left bewildered as to what we were trying to achieve and where we are going. Yes the injuries during the game had a massive impact on the outcome and do not attribute blame to anyone for these, injuries happen unfortunately. I was concerned however by the set up and the initial team named.

Hate raking over "old coals" but

- yet again another silly petulant action leads to a sending off in an important game - our discipline continues to be a problem.
    - it was obvious we were in trouble in the air in our full back line in particular and rather than try and force the issue up front to stop the ball coming in we withdrew for their puck outs, allowed them take the ball short with our forwards running around like headless chickens as they worked it forward to their half back line where they had loads of time and space to pin-point deliveries into our full back line - shades of the Munster Final against Tipperary in 2016.
    - Our attempt to go direct was long balls from Socky straight down the middle with three men bunched under it - problem was Clare quickly identified this and their half backs dropped back in support and picked up endless breaking ball while our half forward line (or what was there of them) waited out the field once again allowing Clare to outnumber our forwards and break out from the back with any real pressure.

Moving on from the actual game, I am also left to ponder what exactly we have been working on in training, and also what the purpose of our league Campaign was:

- have great time for Colm Roche, think he has massive potential, but where did he come from to get a place last Sunday- had no league time at all, while Mikey Kearney who had a very good league is totally missing.
    - I know Seamus Keating got no league time because of his Ardmore commitments but surely he would have been the most natural to have as backup defensive cover - I believe Conor Prunty is yet again injured, other than that i am sure he would have been there as back up.

I fear for the coming games unless we can get a few injuries cleared up. With TDB and Darragh Fives likely to miss the next two games and possibly the entire campaign it is time o give youth its head and look to next year ;

A line up i would like to see chanced between now and end of championship assuming some of our lesser injuries can be cleared up, would be:

Socky
    Connors Prunty C. Gleeson
    Keating A Gleeson S Fives
    Barron, Moran
    Shanahan, Devine, Foran
    Curran, Bennett , Kearney

This would leave us with a bench of O'Halloran, Ryan, Dunford, Brick, Coughlan, Colm and Midget Roche

I still believe that there is enough talent in our panel with the right coaching, team selection and mindset to compete this year and to more importantly set down a marker for the coming years.

I am happy to listen to reasoned debate and discussion only

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Moran will miss the next game, so you'll have to rejig somewhat and it'll be difficult because who are you going to move out to midfield and who will repace them in the backs?

I really don't see a need to replace coughlan in fullback though.. but I can understand why people are apprehensive about him.

It's easy to criticise the fullback on a bad day, and I certainly take the point that TDB protects our full back line very effectively, but I remain unconvinced that any of the options being mentioned are ready to be thrown into the deep end at this stage. Coughlan has not only experience in the position, but experience defending against the players he is going to have to stop. That counts for a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

MfMan wrote: »
    As someone who has umpired I wholeheartedly disagree. Umpires are there to assist the referee; I've occasionally let out a shout at misbehaving players in front of me, warning them I'll get the referee on their case if they don't cop on.

Don't want to get into an argument with you, only recounting what I was advised to do by an intercounty referee who told me: don't engage the players at any time- consult me on any issue and I'll deal with it. Good advice in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

I know Moran is missing next game and quite likely Connors and Aussie also also - understand that Prunty is injured also, which is why i am talking about before the end of the campaign.

Personally i think Coughlan has eh ability to be a very full back if he would cut out the play acting and focus on his strengths as a hurler, he is very tall, very fast and very dogged - is not shy on hurling ability either when he hurls. The reasons i am suggesting looking at Prunty as a full back are:

- Barry has made himself a target for referees so he is not getting a fair crack of the whip - it is going to take time to change that.
    - Derek has never looked at a realistic alternative and that limits the pressure on Coughan to perform and that is not good for any player - you need competition to keep you edge.
    - Some of the players he has come up again know him too well and play on his weaknesses.

I know it is throwing in at the deep end but I fear that after Sunday with the potential injuries / suspensions we could realistically be out of the competition for this year so the pressure could realistically be off for the last two games, presenting a good opportunity for young lads to show what they can do on the big stage.

I am not focusing Coughlan either, I think there are quite a number of the current team who are way too comfortable as automatic selections on the team. Actually i believe that Coughlan did alright last Sunday considering the amount and quality of ball our set up allowed to be played in on top of him..

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

Coughlan is a good stopper who rarely let's the forward get the ball into his hand. I'd take that every time over some classy hurler who lets the forward catch 2 or 3 balls a game. Very rarely is Coughlan at fault for a goal we concede.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Taken for Dermot Keyes Twitter

Waterford GAA can confirm that in last weekend's game Tadhg de Burca suffered a broken collar bone and Barry Coughlan 3 broken bones in his hand. Both players will be out of action for months whilst Darragh Fives set to miss rest of Munster Series. #Deise #GAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford GAA can confirm that in last weekend's game Tadhg de Burca suffered a broken collar bone and Barry Coughlan 3 broken bones in his hand. Both players will be out of action for months whilst Darragh Fives set to miss rest of Munster Series. #Deise #GAA

Huge shame for the lads, wish them all the best and hope they will be back fit as ever in 2019 ??

Any news on Connors, Aussie, Pauric and Maurice ??

Game over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

So that leaves us if Connors and Aussie are available the following:

McNulty Fives Connors
    C Gleeson Austin Mahoney

nothing wrong with that. very solid half back line. all well capable of doing a job. i wouldn't be too disheartened yet. basically going with a 15 on 15 approach. unless DMG goes with Ian Kenny and moves Noelie out to sweeper. plays centre back for his club and has abundance of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Huge shame for the lads, wish them all the best and hope they will be back fit as ever in 2019 ??

Any news on Connors, Aussie, Pauric and Maurice ??

Taken from Damien Tiernan twitter

medical team currently assessing the situation regarding Noel Connors who had to leave field at half time with back injury & Maurice Shanahan who had to remain on field although suffering with a groin issue along with the serious injuries acquired to Austin Gleeson and Pauric M

never seen an injury list like ours in GAA before

I think on the one of the lions tours think it was 2009 for the third test half the squad was injured

Hopefully words were siad at this meeting last night (it worked for Clare after the cork game) and somewhat of a plan was made. Wins in the next few games are probly a step to far but hopefully we go out and give good accounts of ourselves to built towards the future

Its a huge shame were in this boat after the great year last year but this new calender came in at the wrong time for us and we just werent ready for 2018. Hopefully 2019 will be more organised and possibly with a new management team and some new players in (but who the hell is there ???)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Gardner wrote: »

McNulty Fives Connors
    C Gleeson Austin Mahoney

nothing wrong with that. very solid half back line. all well capable of doing a job. i wouldn't be too disheartened yet. basically going with a 15 on 15 approach. unless DMG goes with Ian Kenny and moves Noelie out to sweeper. plays centre back for his club and has abundance of experience.
    The personnel is one thing, I'd agree we can still be competitive with what we have available. But if we send teams out playing the same way we did against Clare we're going to ship a few more hidings.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Coughlan must be the first person to pick up 3 broken bones in a hand through "over-training" and not the swipe down on him.

Coughlan must be the first person to pick up 3 broken bones in a hand through "over-training" and not the swipe down on him.

Don't think Derek said every single injury was caused by over training. Back spasms and calf injuries definitely could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I’d play Keating wing back and drop Mcnulty. He isn’t good enough at this level.
    Conor Gleeson in the corner marking John McGrath then

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I’d play Keating wing back and drop Mcnulty. He isn’t good enough at this level.
    Conor Gleeson in the corner marking John McGrath then

Agreed on McNulty. Lacks the physical presence for inter county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

The moderators are not doing their job when small cowards like ''danganabu'' are allowed to attempt make personal comments about people which are obviously untrue and then go hiding. The classic example of a little 'keyboard warrior''.

I will always stand up for my team, my county and my management.

Danganabu, either be a man or a pathetic little excuse. Everyone know who I am but if the moderators do not do their job, I will do it for them.

Moderators are volunteers who work full time jobs. If you have an issue with a post use the report functionality to report it.

Making snide remarks that they cant do their job is stupid. Do you think they have time to read every post on every thread on the GAA forum?

Regards,
    Former disgruntled GAA forum mod

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Yeah the mods to a great job around here. Compare it to other fora that won't be named. Sure, every now and then a post gets through, but they are very responsive to reports.

Any word on Aussie, Pauric, Connors and Maurice

If we could have Aussie and Pauric on the bench Sunday it would be something positive at least but then again match sharpness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Any word on Aussie, Pauric, Connors and Maurice

If we could have Aussie and Pauric on the bench Sunday it would be something positive at least but then again match sharpness

Forget about Austin Gleeson lads, he isn’t going to rescue things. The chap hasn’t trained or played properly in months and it would be unfair to pitch him straight in even if he is fit.

Motivator wrote: »
    Forget about Austin Gleeson lads, he isn’t going to rescue things. The chap hasn’t trained or played properly in months and it would be unfair to pitch him straight in even if he is fit.

Might have no other choice but to use him

Sure didn't he play for Mount Sion in the club championship this year and could barley walk ??.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

cascade12 wrote: »
    Do you realize that a few people on here know who you are. And none of them read the Munster Express. So if you are going to call out a person who has no problem with his username stand up and be counted. But I doubt you will. I Know who you are you are.

:confused: you lost me cascade, and I guarantee you have no idea who I am and I didnt ''call out'' anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Gardner wrote: »

McNulty Fives Connors
    C Gleeson Austin Mahoney

That wouldn't be all that bad a back 6 to be honest considering the absentees, that would surely leave ye very stretched on the bench though? Has McGrath called in any new players to the panel as a result of the injury crisis?

Might have no other choice but to use him

Sure didn't he play for Mount Sion in the club championship this year and could barley walk ??.

What good is that to the team or to the young chap himself? In fairness to McGrath I don’t think he’d allow anyone play injured, he said it last week on WLR and he wouldn’t strike me as the type that would put a player in that situation.

I think if he sits down and goes through the players that he has at his disposal I’m sure he and the management team could muster up some sort of gameplan to make the best use of the resources available for Sunday’s game. If it’s just a case of patching up the team and playing the same way as Sunday gone then we’re in for a horrid time against Tipp. The hand Derek has been dealt is a desperate one and everything is stacked against him and the players but it could be the perfect opportunity to cut loose and try something different. If we get hammered then so be it but for god’s sake, show a bit of imagination and a pair of balls and try something different. There’s plenty of young forwards available. Put Brick in at the edge of the square and have young lads with loads of pace and more importantly no fear in the corners and on the wing and just go for it.

The worst that can happen is we get beaten but that’s all anyone is expecting of us anyway. Derek now has a chance to go and make a statement when his and the team’s backs are against the wall.

• Advertisement

What good is that to the team or to the young chap himself? In fairness to McGrath I don’t think he’d allow anyone play injured, he said it last week on WLR and he wouldn’t strike me as the type that would put a player in that situation.

I think if he sits down and goes through the players that he has at his disposal I’m sure he and the management team could muster up some sort of gameplan to make the best use of the resources available for Sunday’s game. If it’s just a case of patching up the team and playing the same way as Sunday gone then we’re in for a horrid time against Tipp. The hand Derek has been dealt is a desperate one and everything is stacked against him and the players but it could be the perfect opportunity to cut loose and try something different. If we get hammered then so be it but for god’s sake, show a bit of imagination and a pair of balls and try something different. There’s plenty of young forwards available. Put Brick in at the edge of the square and have young lads with loads of pace and more importantly no fear in the corners and on the wing and just go for it.

The worst that can happen is we get beaten but that’s all anyone is expecting of us anyway. Derek now has a chance to go and make a statement when his and the team’s backs are against the wall.

Hopefully the players Siad at the meeting they want to go all out and be let loose but McGrath could stick to his guns and play his way

The GG is a curse for us and 2 hammerings there will prove it even more. When was the last time a Waterford team of any kind won a game there ???

Wish Derek would go back to playing his way. Aimlessly lumping it up to 3 big lads in the full forward line and hoping for the best is not the way we've played over the last few years. If that was his new plan for the year he's lost it.

Hopefully the players Siad at the meeting they want to go all out and be let loose but McGrath could stick to his guns and play his way

The GG is a curse for us and 2 hammerings there will prove it even more. When was the last time a Waterford team of any kind won a game there ???

The Gaelic Grounds is a terrible venue.

2008 vs Clare - Justin McCarthy’s last game was there in the baking heat.

2013 - The Minor team blew an 6 or 7 point lead with about 5 minutes left against Limerick in the Munster Final and drew before losing the replay.

2016 - desperate Munster Final defeat in the spilling rain.

Can’t remember any league wins up there but I’m sure there is one or two in the last 20 years. It’s a venue that’s synonymous with bad games and results for Waterford unfortunately. Hopefully it changes on Sunday but we’ll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

2013 - The Minor team blew an 6 or 7 point lead with about 5 minutes left against Limerick in the Munster Final and drew before losing the replay.

Can’t remember any league wins up there but I’m sure there is one or two in the last 20 years. It’s a venue that’s synonymous with bad games and results for Waterford unfortunately. Hopefully it changes on Sunday but we’ll have to wait and see.

There was also the stinker of a performance there v Galway in the league final of 2004.

kind of worked in our favour a bit that year. If we won that day we would have played Galway in the AI semi final and then possibly Limerick in the AI final.

We actually had decent form (bar the 2008 AI Final) after defeats there in 2008/2016 (beat Wexford and brought Kilkenny to a Semi final replay)

in 2018 i dont thinks theres anyway back if we do get a hammering next sunday or the sunday after against the actual home side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

CMod note:

I want to firstly apologise to you all and explain a few things.

There was an inappropriate comment posted here yesterday which I looked at and a mod here also looked at, neither of us got the true meaning of it. The post was removed as it was offensive, however we did not realise it was a veiled direct insult at other members of this forum.
    It has caused many ripples behind the scenes and resulted in other users posting in anger and ending up being punished, maybe unfairly, for it.

Normally, moderation actions are not made public but there are times where it is appropriate and I feel this is one of them.

On foot of what was posted, I am taking two actions.

The member danganabu is banned from this forum for a month as the instigator of what transpired.

The member danganabu is further ordered to not post in this thread again or continuations of it permanently until a genuine apology is offered to those people mentioned in his post and approved by the moderation team.

The local mods are still doing some clear-up so I'm leaving it up to them as to when the thread re-opens.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement