Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Full Time Lismore 3-15 Fourmilewater 1-16

Fourmilewater without Conor Gleeson, Lismore without Ray Barry. Both injured.

Dan and Maurice must have scored about 2-10 between them.

Fourmilewater had at least 15 wides. They will be disappointed with that.

Young Prendergast (David?) at full back for Lismore had a great hour. Seanie Barry made a great save a vital time for them in the second half.

Tom Barron excellent for Fourmilewater.

Lismore will be happy with the start of their return to Senior ranks.

Ballygunner and Ballyduff Upper up next.

Half time Ballygunner 1-19 Ballyduff 0-7.

One way traffic.

Brian O'Sullivan has scored 1-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Ballygunnar shoukdnt really be in the same championship as Ballyduff and Tallow - need to look at the senior structure

JesusRef wrote: »
    Ballygunnar shoukdnt really be in the same championship as Ballyduff and Tallow - need to look at the senior structure

Full time, Ballygunner 1-26 Ballyduff Upper 0-13.

Barry Sullivan was good for Ballygunner at centre forward. Peter Hogan went off injured, hopefully it wasn't too serious but it looked bad enough.

tbf to Tallow and Ballyduff, over the last two weekends, they blooded a good few youngsters. These are hurling strongholds with proud traditions and I reckon Senior hurling means everything to them. They are struggling at the moment with numbers.

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, when the likes of Tallow, Ballyduff and Portlaw were winning senior county championships, we were in a similar position and one year barely escaped going down junior in a play off against the Shamrocks.

Ballygunner have huge numbers now because of the population on the Dunmore Road and beyond, but it's not always that black and white.

There are rumblings in other clubs in the city that there should be a new club formed in our area because of the sheer numbers that we have to deal with and the number of potential players that are falling through the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Deise Gael wrote: »
    Full time, Ballygunner 1-26 Ballyduff Upper 0-13.

Barry Sullivan was good for Ballygunner at centre forward. Peter Hogan went off injured, hopefully it wasn't too serious but it looked bad enough.

tbf to Tallow and Ballyduff, over the last two weekends, they blooded a good few youngsters. These are hurling strongholds with proud traditions and I reckon Senior hurling means everything to them. They are struggling at the moment with numbers.

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, when the likes of Tallow, Ballyduff and Portlaw were winning senior county championships, we were in a similar position and one year barely escaped going down junior in a play off against the Shamrocks.

Ballygunner have huge numbers now because of the population on the Dunmore Road and beyond, but it's not always that black and white.

There are rumblings in other clubs in the city that there should be a new club formed in our area because of the sheer numbers that we have to deal with and the number of potential players that are falling through the cracks.

Having seen Ballygunner tonight i find it hard to believe any team can catch them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Having seen Ballygunner tonight i find it hard to believe any team can catch them.
    I would have to agree with that statement although De La Salle were impressive on Friday night. Owen Dunphy seems to have got them motoring again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

DJ Foran going well 0-7 for him during the first half, 5 from play, passage ahead at half time though

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

DJ Foran impressed in the Passage/Portlaw game, especially in the first half. Passage switched Noel Connors on him and that kept him quieter. Good clear win for Passage. DJ has to be looked at more seriously for inter-county.
    Mount Sion were easy enough winners over Roanmore. 18pts to 8pts in an eventful, if not what you could call a 'good' game. 'Midget' once again put his hand up for a slot on the county side, showing his skill in general play and picking off scores.
    Two yellow cards issued before the ball was thrown in, one apiece, set the theme for this game with the referee producing the rest of the deck during the game. In fairness, so many yellows flashed early on stopped some more possible overheating.
    The Roanmore No 3 received a straight red for a foul on Austin Gleeson, who himself walked after he was shown two yellows in the second half. Ross O'Keeffe also saw two yellows.
    So the game finished with 14 players on the Roanmore side with Mount Sion down to 13.
    Still, Mount Sion well deserved their win over their neighbouring club.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Thanks for the club reports - keep them coming

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Lads what about Ken McGrath. Served as selector with Waterford and has managed Mt Sion, but his illness kind of stifled his coaching career.
    seriously ,GO AWAY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Hopefully Derek was at the league final today running the rule over Tipp. While I wouldn't be getting caught up in some of the hyperbole post game on the basis of one Tipp loss and poor performance, there should have been some clear learning points for us today.

One thing that was very clear was that Galway targeted the Tipp corner backs, playing low ball into space to try and drag the backs out wide and create space through the middle. This worked very well on a number of occasions with either space opening up through the middle for runners or the Galway forward having space to take on his man for pace. Tipp corner backs looked vulnerable to direct running and Micky Cahill in particular was skinned and ended up being taken off. This was in marked contrast to our current tactic of raining high balls down on top of players like Curran and Shane Bennett who are usually outnumbered 2-1 which they have little chance of winning. One can only imagine how effective these players could be with proper delivery low into hand or into space to allow them to use the considerable pace and the skills which they possess.

Tipp also seem a little uncertain on their midfield pairing. Forde is most certainly not a midfielder and won't be starting there come Championship, suspended or not. They may move Breen back in there but one would have thought they would have a settled pairing at this stage.

SOK has shipped some unwarranted criticism on here over past few months but i feel he definitely would have saved two of those goals that Galway scored today which went straight through the keeper. Gleeson didn't look mobile in goal, but we've never really tested him in recent games such has been our focus on defending.

At very least today will dispel the belief that seemed to have developed in some quarters that Tipp are unbeatable. Galway didn't employ any sweeper and played an attacking game and like most people here I feel this is the only way we could beat Tipp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭ThaiTanic

I Was up at the league final today, was told by several different Galway people that Maurice was instructed to miss the last free versus Galway from either Dereck or Dan (They said it was shouted in from the side line) , not too sure about this though and I didnt see or hear this myself, just saying what I was told today. Interesting all the same though. Anywhere to find footage of the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Lads what about Ken McGrath. Served as selector with Waterford and has managed Mt Sion, but his illness kind of stifled his coaching career.
    seriously ,GO AWAY
    No

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

ThaiTanic wrote: »
    I Was up at the league final today, was told by several different Galway people that Maurice was instructed to miss the last free versus Galway from either Dereck or Dan (They said it was shouted in from the side line) , not too sure about this though and I didnt see or hear this myself, just saying what I was told today. Interesting all the same though. Anywhere to find footage of the game?
    Yes, you will find the footage on Tales Of The Unexpected.....or Comedy Central. Jesus wept....

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

A very interesting start to the club championship but as other posters stated, Ballygunner look well ahead of the rest with De La Salle improving and probably their main challengers at the minute.

Ballygunner have blown away both Tallow and Ballyduff but they are probably 2 of the weaker sides in the group but they have been very impressive with 1-19 and only 1 wide in the 1st half against Ballyduff.
    De La Salle have produced 2 good performances with the win over Dungarvan being the highlight. Mullane is playing well and the youngsters from their recent under 21 county winning sides have stood up with Shane Ryan having a stormer against Dungarvan.
    Dungarvan were excellent against Abbeyside but I still feel they lack a physical edge and they will be disappointed on their performance against De La Salle. I always feel Dungarvan have lots of similar skillful hurlers with loads of ability but maybe don't have the physicality of teams such as Passage, Lismore and FMW which lets them down in games.
    Abbeyside were very poor last week but to get the win last night over Tallow was the most important thing in what was an extremely tight game. With the Hurneys retired and missing Prunty and a few more, it was important they got the win as a win over Ballyduff will set them up to reach a 1/4 final.
    I would expect Tallow to beat Ballyduff but to beat De La Salle or Dungarvan may prove a step too far. We all know Ballyduff can produce big displays when they need them like 2 years ago when they shocked everyone to reach a county semi but I fear for them this year. Their game against Tallow will be huge as will Ballygunner against De La Salle!

In Group 2, Lismore with 2 wins will be delighted with their return to senior. Very dependent on Maurice and Dan for scores but the way the 2 of them played, they were almost unplayable and Jack Prendergast has also been impressive, especially as he tracked Jamie Barron in the FMW game and was excellent.
    There are a group of teams who have been excellent in one game but poor in the other. Passage produced 30 minutes of great hurling against Lismore but were far from impressive against Portlaw and the second half collapse against Lismore was shocking. I do feel Queally is a loss for them but I still put them ahead of the likes of FMW, Abbeyside, Mount Sion and Dungarvan.
    FMW were good against Mount Sion but I feel Mount Sion aren't strong and are in transition. FMW battled as they typically do against Lismore but failing to curtail the influence of the Shanahans and hitting 15 wides really cost them in what was a close and tight game. Conor Gleeson was a big loss.
    Mount Sion will be delighted to get revenge on Roanmore after defeat to their rivals last year but I do feel they are a 1/4 final team at best but that was a big win and a disappointing result for Roanmore who now need at least a win in one of their last 3 games when I honestly expected them to be 2 wins from 2 at this stage. Their games against FMW, Passage and Lismore will be tight if not the most entertaining but I give them a chance in all 3.
    Portlaw are overly dependent on DJ Foran. When Noel Connors got to grips with him, Portlaw struggled and that could be a theme in their games. They do not lack for endeavour but I feel they will struggle to get a win in this group.

Just a word on what I believe is the most competitive and entertaining championship which is the west intermediate. 3 out of 4 games were draws. I wouldn't even try to analyse or pick a winner at this stage and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

Interesting to hear Shefflin mention talk of division in the Waterford camp last night on Allianz League Sunday when panellists were giving their predictions for AI. Maybe things not as happy-family like as some of our loyal supporters would like to have us believe.

Interesting to hear Shefflin mention talk of division in the Waterford camp last night on Allianz League Sunday when panellists were giving their predictions for AI. Maybe things not as happy-family like as some of our loyal supporters would like to have us believe.

Welcome back from the North Pole we had a selector and a panel player leave the Set up..

Tis hardly a secret now.

How do you know he was referring to those two specific incidents - Captain Scott? And whatever about the selector thing, are you suggesting that Devine issue has created division in the camp? Maybe you can enlighten us Oh Wise One?

By the way Blue Flame I'm well aware of the incidents you refer to and have posted on the latter. Whatever about the North Pole some of the MCGrath loyalists on here could do with getting their heads out of their a**** to realise what is going on at the moment.

By the way Blue Flame I'm well aware of the incidents you refer to and have posted on the latter. Whatever about the North Pole some of the MCGrath loyalists on here could do with getting their heads out of their a**** to realise what is going on at the moment.

We just had two rounds of club championship so what unrest can there be from within the county team

• Advertisement

Oh apologies, I didn't realise that for unrest to exist, the team had to be playing matches at the same time. What planet are you on man - seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

At very least today will dispel the belief that seemed to have developed in some quarters that Tipp are unbeatable. Galway didn't employ any sweeper and played an attacking game and like most people here I feel this is the only way we could beat Tipp.

The problem with playing a sweeper against Tipp is that it invariably means leaving on one or two of the Mahers free and they are far too good hurlers to be left free, Galway went man for man and intentionally kept the ball away from Padraic Maher, it worked a treat.

Shefflin must be reading too much boards.ie, maybe he means a divided county, whatever about a divided squad. He was being a bit of a ****-stirrer, from what Ive seen of him as a pundit I wouldn't take much of what he says at face value. Great players don't always make great pundits and It wouldn't be the first hes tried to make a snide remark about another county, and all he is interested in are his own pro-Kilkenny views. Og Cusack had to put him in his box one night a couple years ago he was trying to make smart comments about Cork hurling, rightly so just because he won everything in the game doesn't mean we should all sit there and be patronised

How do you know he was referring to those two specific incidents - Captain Scott? And whatever about the selector thing, are you suggesting that Devine issue has created division in the camp? Maybe you can enlighten us Oh Wise One?

Ok seen as your editing your posts after they've been answered by me i missed the Tom Devine comment.

I wasnt the one mentioned division in the camp so where did that comment come from???
    Seriously man you should be in Politics.

I can honestly say i have not heard of any division in the County team.
    Maybe Henry Shefflin has heard something but I'd argue the point that some of the posters who's identity is unknown including myself would surely pass it on here in the Waterford GAA forum after all there is a select few I'm sure are actually proper GAA people who know a thing or two about the county scene.

Typical Shefflin bull . Nothing but spite from him towards us all the time. He had no right whatsoever to make that comment. No time for him at all.

De La Salle were excellent with a half back line of Moran, Daniels and McNulty totally dominant. Mullane was unstoppable as usual. Jake Dillion completely owned the midfield area when he came on and remains a huge player for the county.

Fourmile could not cope with the loss of Connor Gleeson.

Ballygunner played hurling in the first half that was as exciting as one could ever wish to see. Their wrist work was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

How wasn't Jake Dillon starting? Is he carrying an injury?

Fourmile could not cope with the loss of Connor Gleeson.

I often wonder what the problem is with Fourmilewater. Every year they flatter to deceive.

Even without Conor Gleeson they would have been favourites to beat Lismore.

Also, Lismore were without Ray Barry, outside of Maurice and a rejuvenated Dan, probably their most influential player.

Having been at the game, Fourmilewater didn't seem to have enough self belief and Lismore were fully deserving of their win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Our under 17 hurlers are playing Cork in the Munster final 2morrow night in Dungarvan at 7pm

Cork have a very good team apparently

Anyone kmw anything about our lads??

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    How wasn't Jake Dillon starting? Is he carrying an injury?

He has been injured for the past month but ready now.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Deise Gael wrote: »
    I often wonder what the problem is with Fourmilewater. Every year they flatter to deceive.

Even without Conor Gleeson they would have been favourites to beat Lismore.

Also, Lismore were without Ray Barry, outside of Maurice and a rejuvenated Dan, probably their most influential player.

Having been at the game, Fourmilewater didn't seem to have enough self belief and Lismore were fully deserving of their win.

They have a small panel in the hurling out there so losing any player, never mind 3 or 4 and they're in big trouble. Hard to balance hurling and football as well.

Shefflin must be reading too much boards.ie, maybe he means a divided county, whatever about a divided squad. He was being a bit of a ****-stirrer, from what Ive seen of him as a pundit I wouldn't take much of what he says at face value. Great players don't always make great pundits and It wouldn't be the first hes tried to make a snide remark about another county, and all he is interested in are his own pro-Kilkenny views. Og Cusack had to put him in his box one night a couple years ago he was trying to make smart comments about Cork hurling, rightly so just because he won everything in the game doesn't mean we should all sit there and be patronised

Shefflin is an excellent and generally balanced pundit in fairness.

The one thing he is not is balanced when it comes to Waterford. Unless of course he has a chip on both shoulders which in fact would make your opinion correct because in that case he is balanced.

So, on reflection I am wrong and you are right, he is very well balanced indeed. !!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

I presume chookieourlaw your were referring to "The Blue Blaa" as opposed to Blueflame as i have no idea what incidents you are talking about

Any news of any challenge games for the senior hurlers ???

Afaik McGrath amd co have total control of the players now with the club championship games finished til were out of the championship

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Our under 17 hurlers are playing Cork in the Munster final 2morrow night in Dungarvan at 7pm

Cork have a very good team apparently

Anyone kmw anything about our lads??
    Cork are at a huge advantage in that their minors have not played yet so they get to call on any u17s from the minor panel that would be good enough to start on the minor team. And by all accounts they supposedly have some serious talent within that age group, one of their strongest groups in many years. Could be a tough outing for our lads.

his exact words; 'is their harmony in the camp? we don't know...' 
    All hail King Henry the genius. The McGrath apologists dumbfounded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Is there a plan for the next round of club games? I heard provisionally June but no date or venues. Surely there could be a plan a or b on this so people can plan things around them?

thesultan wrote: »
    Is there a plan for the next round of club games? I heard provisionally June but no date or venues. Surely there could be a plan a or b on this so people can plan things around them?

It were in the qualifiers round 1 takes place on sat 1st July and if were in round 2 its on sat 8th July. Munster final takes place on Sunday 9th July

Round 1 of football qualifiers take place on sat 17th June or Sat 24th June. We play Cork in the Munster qf on sat 27th May

So the debate has started about moving out of Walsh Park according to the front of this week's news and star

Agree that wit arena would be good (obv needs a bit of work) but we don't need a huge stadium as Munster has so many

No more shopping centres please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

So the debate has started about moving out of Walsh Park according to the front of this week's news and star

Agree that wit arena would be good (obv needs a bit of work) but we don't need a huge stadium as Munster has so many

No more shopping centres please

Where in Carriganore would they build it. I assume they wouldn't build it on the GAA grass pitches, that then leaves the area between the WIT campus and the motorway along the river. As that area has a hill on it and not that big, would they be able to fit a 20k stadium in there?

Where in Carriganore would they build it. I assume they wouldn't build it on the GAA grass pitches, that then leaves the area between the WIT campus and the motorway along the river. As that area has a hill on it and not that big, would they be able to fit a 20k stadium in there?

wit-arena-outdoor__small.jpg

they could knock that stand and build 2 big stands on each sideline

a lot of logistic problems will exist

why oh why didnt they agree to move there when they started building the campus and they could of build around it. good owl county board

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

wit-arena-outdoor__small.jpg

they could knock that stand and build 2 big stands on each sideline

a lot of logistic problems will exist

why oh why didnt they agree to move there when they started building the campus and they could of build around it. good owl county board

Pity to ruin 2 good gaa pitch's at either side. WIT sports campus is a fantastic facility at present, I'd rather they leave Carriganore alone if they were to try build a stadium in the middle of it.

It was that only someone suggested it. A fella was on wlr this morning about it but I thought he hadn't a great insight into it

It were in the qualifiers round 1 takes place on sat 1st July and if were in round 2 its on sat 8th July. Munster final takes place on Sunday 9th July

Round 1 of football qualifiers take place on sat 17th June or Sat 24th June. We play Cork in the Munster qf on sat 27th May
    Surely the county secretary envisaged this and planned around it? Could they not give a fixture or at least one date to clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Any news of any challenge games for the senior hurlers ???

Afaik McGrath amd co have total control of the players now with the club championship games finished til were out of the championship

And what of the 2 rounds of the football club championship that take place the 2 weekends after this? I can't imagine teams are playing without County players in those championship games.
    Clubs have a provisional fixture for the weekend after waterford play cork or Tipp, 2 months away. If they were to lose and be in action on Sat July 8 or win and be in action on Sun July 9, I couldn't envisage anything other than those club games being called off. Not doing so would leave Waterford with 2 weeks to prepare for their next game which will not be allowed by management imo. So asking clubs to prepare for that round of fixtures is an utterly pointless exercise! Of course their is the off chance of a draw, in which case the replay would be played the weekend after and club games called off.
    Absolutely pointless fixture the board made. May aswell have just told clubs to be on standby for when waterfords season ends which is the reality.

blueflame wrote: »
    I presume chookieourlaw your were referring to "The Blue Blaa" as opposed to Blueflame as i have no idea what incidents you are talking about

Alright Cuz... :D

Cork 1-8- Waterford 1-9- HT Munster Under 17 Final

Cork 1-8- Waterford 1-9- HT Munster Under 17 Final

Kyle Bennet going well. Great to see them younglads not giving up and fighting back.

damn it

its now Cork 2-12- Waterford 1-10- 51 mins

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement