Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Rare he names a Dummy team on Friday in terms of personnel. Would the Munster Final in 2015 when Barrett started be the only other occasion in Championship?

Pretty sure he did it against Clare in the Munster semi final last year as well. Dara Fives was named at least once against Kilkenny last year too, although he possibly failed a fitness test.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Rare he names a Dummy team on Friday in terms of personnel. Would the Munster Final in 2015 when Barrett started be the only other occasion in Championship?

Ya I don't recall too many occasions where he named dummy teams. Would be a change but maybe he's hoping Cork will think we are going defensive. Presume if the 2 are playing its in place of Darragh and Conor Gleeson. I'd expect Maurice for Darragh but not sure about the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

here we go 2017 championship time, feels like it took an age to come around. best to luck to both teams playing today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Think its fitting to appreciate the legend that is Brick Walsh equalling Tony Brownes record championship appearances for Waterford today. The last of his generation and an absolute collosus.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Kilkenny man here, will be cheering you on today against Cork

• Advertisement

Some sort of festival on in fethard 2 mile tail back

Edit seems to be moving smoothly in fethard now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

[quote=hurler on[/QUOTE]Divine went because he could not see himself getting a game before K,Moran or the Brick, he would have had to watch Moran catch the odd high ball and run 50 yards before loosing it ,or he might actually get a point ,or sit and watch the Brick whose best days are well and truely behind him ,id say two years past his best run around batting balls to lads that are in a bad field position when a two handed hurler would simply put it over the bar ,possibly throw pauric into that as well ,lucky to score a point from open play and generally just run around after lads ,but in all fairness that's more about that s##t system they play ,much better team with those three gone ,good players but every dog has his day,De Burca could easily be thrown into that group as well[/quote]

Good lord, You've been spouting pure scutter on here with 4 or 5 years now, but you've hit a whole new level today. Every dog has its day you say? time to take heed of your own advice I think sham

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Maurice in for Darragh Fives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Deiseen wrote: »
    I think we will start to see a more positive approach this year. I've probably been saying that for 3 years now but Stephen Bennett was the missing link. We were lacking that one player to make up a forward unit. Now we have Maurice, Stephen, Shane and Patrick Curran. You could throw Gleeson in there too. If Devine had of stuck around we would have had 6 decent forwards. If McGrath hasn't seen the benefits of a more attacking set up after the KK games then there's no hope.

A defensive set up might not be a bad idea for the first 10/15 mins as it's been a fair old time since our last game.
    Divine went because he could not see himself getting a game before K,Moran or the Brick, he would have had to watch Moran catch the odd high ball and run 50 yards before loosing it ,or he might actually get a point ,or sit and watch the Brick whose best days are well and truely behind him ,id say two years past his best run around batting balls to lads that are in a bad field position when a two handed hurler would simply put it over the bar ,possibly throw pauric into that as well ,lucky to score a point from open play and generally just run around after lads ,but in all fairness that's more about that s##t system they play ,much better team with those three gone ,good players but every dog has his day,De Burca could easily be thrown into that group as well

The brick showing his worth after only 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Shane Bennett and Maurice need to up it, Aussie is too quiet aswel. Some saves by SOK, him Tadhg and Paudie are keeping us in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Absolute farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

absolute joke McGrath out.

Have to say that was bad now

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

Poor alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Shocking Cork weren't even that great not near the level they played vs Tipp and were still miles ahead of us, no excuses Mgrath needs to go at the end of the year.

Shocking Cork weren't even that great not near the level they played vs Tipp and were still miles ahead of us, no excuses Mgrath needs to go at the end of the year.

Well we are not out yet but I agree. That was bad.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Most inept performance in years . Physically not up too it , mentally not up too it. Too many passengers on that team today . Cork an improving team and fully deserved to win but I don't think they are all Ireland winners . Were we over trained, under trained or is that as good as we are ? Too many players completely uninvolved and off the pace . As for management, they have taken this team as far as they can , time for a change of manager .

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Deserved win by Cork. Waterford were very ill disciplined and very poor decision making. Poor puckout strategy and there was players left on that were never in the game. Waterford forwards need to get their heads up and start passing the ball around like Cork were doing. All round poor performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Attack was a shambles in the second half. McGrath please please play 15v15 for the qualifiers. For your own sake but more importantly for the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

Can the Mcgrath apologists please now do the honourable thing, face the music and admit they were wrong? I'm not asking for a public display of contrition. Just admit it to yourselves - we cant go on like this - we are much better than that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Wtf was that? That was trash hurling played by us.

How is the qualifiers set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Say what you want about Mcgrath, the players let him down today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

first round will be munster v leinster

with westmeath v carlow/laois ...i think

for example

westmeath v carlow/laois

offaly v waterford

dublin v tipperary

kilkenny v limerick

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Say what you want about Mcgrath, the players let him down today

You Have some f****** nerve coming on here blaming players for what has been obvious to a lot of us on here since at least last year. There is no gameplan. Full stop. And that's not players fault. So stop talking ****e..

first round will be munster v leinster

with westmeath v carlow/laois ...i think

for example

westmeath v carlow/laois

offaly v waterford

dublin v tipperary

kilkenny v limerick

Or waterford v Kilkenny....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Or waterford v Kilkenny....

any way you like basically , it will be 3 leinster teams v 3 munster teams draw tomorrow morning at 8:30 on radio 1 , should be interesting

Disgrace of a performance and it's very very worrying. We looked so flat, McGrath didn't even get up off his seat all game, the 11 week break killed us and the way management approached the league was a bad decision and it's coming back to bite us. The tactics need changing fast or we will be out on July 1st.

Worst draws we can get is Kilkenny or Dublin (mullane wants us to get Kilkenny) even the likes of Laois, Offaly etc will fancy a go of us

Under 21s are in for a tough test too and may exit early

Cork were the better team and deserved too win. McGrath has a lot to answer for. **** me it's hot in Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

I'm hoping we get Kilkenny because for the team and management (and thats where the blame lies with both not one or the other) it's time to s**t or get off the pot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Absolute shambles today. No structure or plan of attack. All the forwards in the wrong positions I thought. Cork seemed to win most of the 50 50s.
    I don't want to blame managment but it's hard to look passed them when so much emphasis was put on how the league didn't matter and it was all about this game.
    Looks like we're actually as bad as we looked in the league!

McGrath just gave an Interview on wlr and talked a load of crap and 100% blamed the players. Think all is not well in the camp and his days in the job are numbered and maybe our championship campaign is too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Now I'm no expert but there seemed to be no gameplan that I could see, he's still playing 1 or 2 forwards up front (madness ain't coming close) and the players seemed very miffed and lost the heads with 25 minutes to go. On another day, two players would have walked as well!

Saying that 16 wides show you that they had the chances if they could play sensible hurling, which they've failed to do for the last couple of years.

Can't see a long summer of hurling after today's match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

McGrath has been a man without a plan now for about 2 years. Players have been winning games in spite of "the system" and saving his bacon. Thanks Derek you did your best but off you go now and lets get back to hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

From a neutral watching, McGrath got his tactics totally wrong today. The weakness of that Cork team was their full back line, yet all through the second half Waterford drove an endless amount of ball from midfield wide. Maurice and Stephen Bennett looked to have the beating of their men in the first half and linked up well, and more ball should have been played in. Its dissapointing to see a player with the talent of Curran get only 5 mins today. It reminds me of Shane O'Donnell for my county the last few years in which the manager's stubborness to play his system, instead of playing a style suited to his players, is holding ye back.

Ive a feeling ye have stagnated a bit the year and McGrath's term has come to a natural end, maybe. Best of luck in the qualifiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

The most disappointing thing about today was how inevitable it was. You can't keep using the same failed tactics and expecting different results. We all hoped it would change but McGrath illustrated today that he just doesn't have the courage or belief to bring this team on. Gleeson corner forward and Stephen Bennett out about 60 yards from goal, it was tactical ineptitude of the highest order. Bombing high balls down on players who were outnumbered. Half forwards retreating and allowing the Cork defence to run the ball out. Thank God this is the last year because we need to do what Cork did which is tear it all up and start again. Fair play to Cork, they took full advantage and could have won by more. Connors, O'Keeffe and Maurice were the only players who could come out of today with any credit, Pauric and both Gleesons disappeared in second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Tactically that was a mess, forwards had the beating of that cork back line but were left totally isolated. Not the first time Waterford have racked up the wides but when they're forced to shoot from the middle of the field due to lack of options up top that's to be expected.

They need to tweak things and quickly, given its been the same for the last few years I won't hold my breath. Hopefully the draw is kind tomorrow and buys Waterford another few weeks to get it right.

The most disappointing thing about today was how inevitable it was. You can't keep using the same failed tactics and expecting different results. We all hoped it would change but McGrath illustrated today that he just doesn't have the courage or belief to bring this team on. Gleeson corner forward and Stephen Bennett out about 60 yards from goal, it was tactical ineptitude of the highest order. Bombing high balls down on players who were outnumbered. Half forwards retreating and allowing the Cork defence to run the ball out. Thank God this is the last year because we need to do what Cork did which is tear it all up and start again. Fair play to Cork, they took full advantage and could have won by more. Connors, O'Keeffe and Maurice were the only players who could come out of today with any credit, Pauric and both Gleesons disappeared in second half.

Was there a Maurice on the half time schools team? Because the Maurice on the senior team had a nightmare and was behind his man losing 4 of our puck outs in a row in the second half!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 deggy66

today we lost to a team with a really disciplined and positive game plan. I can't recall one wasted ball from a Cork defender or midfielder to his forwards when the forward hadn't the clear advantage over our defenders. They trusted each other and played as a team unit where something had to be made out of every possession and it didn't matter who scored.
    We hit ball after ball into a crowded defence or down on top of one of our forwards where Cork had a player sweeping behind.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=271586

draw takes place Monday 26 June according to hoganstand

we play on Sat 1st July and if we get through the 2nd round is Sat 8th July

there will be 8 teams in it
    think there will be a sep draw beforehand to determine which side Westmeath and Carlow/Laois go into too ??

Munster- Waterford, Tipp, Limerick, Westmeath or Winners of Carlow/Laois
    Leinster- Kilkenny, Dublin, Offaly, Westmeath or Winners of Carlow/Laois

teams paired off (4x Munster vs 4x Leinster), first team out will have home advantage (teams who played each other already cant play each other again). Round 2 is an open draw (unless teams have previously meet in the championship this year). 2x Round 2 winners will face the prov final losers in the QFS

the place will be full to the rafters if its Waterford vs Kilkenny or Dublin in Walsh Park. Like everyone hope we get one of the weaker teams so we cant get the show back on the road but were still not guaranteed a win against them either and will have too fight for it. Michael Ryan or Kevin Ryan might have the last laugh and knock Waterford out of the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Neutral here... Austin gleeson appears from the outside to be a serious issue for management and team....

McGrath comes across as worse than Davy Fitz.... Stubborn as an ass.. Serious dose of small man syndrome with him.. He has destroyed the natural instincts of these Waterford hurlers... To watch these lads play at u21 wit such freedom... And then to see play like robots under McGrath... He must go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Firstly fair play to Cork who like serious contenders. Waterford were an absolute shambles. It looks like every bit of hurling has been coached out of them. I can't believe after McGrath basically threw the league that the ending product was that. The sooner we get rid of him and start trying to play some real hurling the better. Please God he stays away from the media this week so we don't have to be listening to his nonsense.

3 months ago

25/03/2017 10:00

Deise_2012

"Wait til June lads that's all I'm saying"

You know what you can do with your wait til June now don't you...

the dogs in the street know that Sean Power and co will get the job when Mcgrath goes. Who else is there really, the county board is broke and cant afford a big name ???. Really hope Peter Queally (who was only person up against Mcgrath for the job) doesnt get it as he will be a defensive manager too

only saw the last 10 mins of the under 25 game how did we play overall and any standouts ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

deggy66 wrote: »
    today we lost to a team with a really disciplined and positive game plan. I can't recall one wasted ball from a Cork defender or midfielder to his forwards when the forward hadn't the clear advantage over our defenders. They trusted each other and played as a team unit where something had to be made out of every possession and it didn't matter who scored.
    We hit ball after ball into a crowded defence or down on top of one of our forwards where Cork had a player sweeping behind.

Thanks deggy66.

I really wish that sometimes people could see they came up against a better team than just picking holes in their own team and management.

Being gracious in defeat has been lost along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

why wait ,fu%k him out now

why wait ,fu%k him out now

cant afford too. when Justin got the boot in 2008 we had about a month or so to get ready for the qualifers that year. We have less than 2 weeks to get ready for the qualifers this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

PTH2009 wrote: »
    cant afford too. when Justin got the boot in 2008 we had about a month or so to get ready for the qualifers that year. We have less than 2 weeks to get ready for the qualifers this year

I'd take two weeks being coached by Donald Duck over letting McGrath play a two man full forward line against Offaly.

magentis wrote: »
    Thanks deggy66.

I really wish that sometimes people could see they came up against a better team than just picking holes in their own team and management.

Being gracious in defeat has been lost along the way.

Funny then, how the Sunday game panel agree with most on here.

Cork were by far the better team today but 15 and 15 we should beat them. Therefore the blame lies with the players and management. Management in particular.

No game plan, no desire, no shape, no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

I've being saying it since he got the job ,anyone that comes in to a room with a three year plan ,fu&k him out straight away ,his record speaks for itself ,he got us relegated to div 1b and won a league ,that man has seriously over achieved ,get rid of him now ,and we might just get a run going. keep him and we are fuc&ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

Very confusing game today. I really think the old defensive swarming style would have been more suited to playing against Cork but we ended up going more conventional. No idea why after seeing how Tipp fared with it. We also tried it against them in the league and it didn't work.

Kinda miss the old pragmatic approach. Don't think our lads had the pace to go man on man against a team like Cork with such pacey forwards. I think Derek bowed to public pressure and tried to find a more attacking approach and come badly unstuck. Lot's of strange subs as well. Moran was as bad as I've seen from a Waterford hurler and spent most of the second half trying to stretch his calves out yet it was all the lads around him getting taken off.

Outside of that the intensity and work rate was missing. They used to forage for the ball in packs but today it just seemed like 15 individuals all losing their own personal battles. SOk, Barron and De Burca plus Stephen Bennet and Mahoney in the first half the only ones to do anything much in the game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement