Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 deiselad17

He was up against 3 defenders what do you expect and when he won a ball he had no support they were 40 yards away!! He was one of the only fellas put his hand up to win ball in that forward line yesterday. 2 Bennetts did nothing Pauric had a good first half,Brick had little or no impact. One v one he had the beating of his marker but was starved of any decent ball even when we had TWO spare men at times to pick out a pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Nope I don't accept that, he was up against Cahalane in the first half...not 3 defenders. Coleman beat him to the ball about 3 or 4 times in the 2nd

Nope I don't accept that, he was up against Cahalane in the first half...not 3 defenders. Coleman beat him to the ball about 3 or 4 times in the 2nd

Okay you name a forward better than him yesterday? Remember Cahalane marked Callinan the last time out hes a good marker. Shanahan when ball was down on top of him was causing problems in there. everyone knows if the ball is put to a corner he doesnt have that burst of speed to get it. Shouldve had a penalty and when he got the ball tried to bring players into play but lacked support.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

With shot after shot from 80 yards flying wide over his head why did we bother naming Maurice?

Exactly Ropaire!!

I'm not against Maurice, I think he's a great player but he didn't go well yesterday. Paudie scored 4 points in the first half yesterday and covered serious ground. So I would say he was better

I agreed that Paudie had a good first half and took up very good positions. I think he may have tired in the second half and missed easy enough frees but hell know that himself wont need people like use harping on about it! Moral of the story is we are tactically stupid and not playing a style that suits our talented players. Change is imminent and can only be a good thing. Seen that Justin Mc won Munsters and a league and was shafted. Mc Grath has won a league and what else? Spoofer in my opinion but look the players seem to be behind him and believe in him so i wont argue with them!

I know I know. I'm really depressed over what happened yesterday. I honestly thought they'd have given a performance. Maybe a run in the qualifiers would do them good cause there's way more in that team than what we saw yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Fair play to Ken for calling it as it was yesterday.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/we-were-leaderless-on-the-pitch-and-on-the-sideline-ken-mcgraths-damning-assessment-of-waterford-loss-35839261.html

None of this skirting around the issues that passes for analysis on WLR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

An absolute shambles yesterday. Incredibly disappointing performance from Waterford, Cork should have won by considerably more.

Its hard to know where to start. We looked flat and the players didn't seem to know what system they were playing. Has McGrath's master plan of switching systems mid-game now led to a meltdown whereby the players, and possibly the management, don't know which system they are playing? It certainly seemed that way yesterday.

Some really bizarre selections and really poor game management from McGrath again. Aussie Gleeson at corner forward? I'd love to know which of the league games where Gleeson in the full forward line was deemed the success as any time I saw the experiment it clearly didn't work yet we persisted with it for championship.

4 points down with 10 mins left against 14 men and chasing the game, yet we had 1 forward within 40 metres of the Cork goal? The management seem to have learned nothing over the last 4 years.

It really is a demoralising defeat, with the championship so open this year there is an All-Ireland there for the winning...and we appear to have gone backwards. Its very hard to see us turning around and beating any of Kilkenny/Tipp/Galway in the coming weeks to be contenders again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can we pick it up for the qualifers ???

Answer is possibly NO cause if management have given up and players have decided **** it im not doing this ****e anymore

The best thing is to have a 'biscuits and mi wadi meeting' sometime this week and sort out issues and give it a right go

We will play one of
    Dublin
    Kilkenny
    Offaly
    Westmeath
    (First team out gets home advantage, draw is next monday morning)

Match is down for Sat 1st July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Club games off again. It'll be a minimum 11 weeks between fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

I thought our performance as a team was dreadful yesterday and the performance from the line was even worse.
    I have always liked Derek and he is a lovely guy to know personally but he genuinely seemed like he had given up yesterday. I was sitting a few rows back from our dugout and he didn't move at all or try encourage the team at all.

On the field our big players (the likes of Moran, Aussie, Brick) did not turn up at all. Our forwards were dreadful and the tactics from the line have to play a big part in this.

I think like everyone else, I believed our team was better than it was but looking at it realistically we have not beaten KK or Tipp in the championship with this team and don't look like doing it this year either!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

malogin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

gavwaldo wrote: »
    malogin

Cat

Can anyone explain this gem from our glorious leader Derek in an interview on WLR when being questioned as to the reason for our defeat yesterday- "the translocation from unconventionality to conventionality".

Holy Mother of Devine....

Deise Gael wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this gem from our glorious leader Derek in an interview on WLR when being questioned as to the reason for our defeat yesterday- "the translocation from unconventionality to conventionality".

dont have a clue what hes on about half the time. according to the ads that new series starting on RTE tonight about how science in the GAA has changed will feature Derek Mcgrath and Waterford

https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford/on-the-ball-sunday-june-18th

PTH2009 wrote: »
    dont have a clue what hes on about half the time. according to the ads that new series starting on RTE tonight about how science in the GAA has changed will feature Derek Mcgrath and Waterford

https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford/on-the-ball-sunday-june-18th

Are they an example of what not to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

Gavlor wrote: »
    Club games off again. It'll be a minimum 11 weeks between fixtures.
    When will we know for certain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Look, none of these lads are professional speakers. Can imagine it's very hard to go on and speak to a radio after a bad defeat like what we had yesterday. Criticise the defeat but go easy on man. As difficult as that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fowlerDgrowler

Loads of nonsense written on these pages over the last 24 hours. Unfortunately in the heat of battle it is up to the players to turn up. The minute the whistle goes they are responsible

Ken McGrath is talking tripe in his article also. Pllay with flair like the team of his generation! A team that lacked any tactical nuance! If they did they would of won all irelands and that's a fact. On big occasions the good teams and managers knew how to beat them, proof is in the results unfortunately.

On the u21 management team taking over the senior team everyone needs to get a grip. They had won the minor and the key players had three years strength and conditioning at intercountly level. I could of won the all ireland with that team on the sideline with a box of fags and bag of cans.

On the match Austin was given a free role, nothing wrong with it and probably the best role for his style. It's KK do often with Richie hogan or TJ. This is a perfect role for him but he was poor yesterday and we need our big players in big games, otherwise the results is inevitable

Again missing frees can't be blamed on management, Paudi has been good for Waterford just an off day. However missing frees isn't just a one point swing it has a huge impact on momentum. The miss at half time was huge and again the one in front on the posts when corks player got sent off gave cork back the momentum.

Shanahan was poor yesterday and the analysts who say different want to stop throwing stones from rose tinted glasshouses. Outside his goal he didn't offer much.
    Stephen Bennett lost his head early and lucky not to get sent off, his brother Shane was good winning possession but was consistently wasteful.

On a management critique de Burca should of been switched off Lehane for puck outs, naive and left gapping holes which the full back line couldn't handle with diagonal ball feeding the FF line. A worry is the lack of speed in out backs, something cork forwards have in abundance.

Questions have to be asked if brick has championship games left, very poor yesterday. Conor Gleeson and Moran also poor and hopefully they will bounce back. Darragh fives will assist in improving the back line. I hope the soul searching brings this team together, lacked cohesion and siege mentality yesterday. These are needed if we want to win, while not wanting to blame management it has to be asked if this is a happy camp!

Overall it's a diificult to find any positives, it's worrying to think we may have KK in the next round. It could be a short year.

Thank you ^^^

On the next senior management team who else is there really other than Sean Power and Co ???

Do we really want to see Peter Quelly or Fergal Hartley take over ???. Outside options could be DJ Carey, former Cork, Ballygunner and current fourmilewater boss Denis Walsh, Liam Dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Good post there Fowler. Would agree with everything you say except I thought Conor Gleeson did a good job on Kingston holding him scoreless.

• Advertisement

Loads of nonsense written on these pages over the last 24 hours. Unfortunately in the heat of battle it is up to the players to turn up. The minute the whistle goes they are responsible

Ken McGrath is talking tripe in his article also. Pllay with flair like the team of his generation! A team that lacked any tactical nuance! If they did they would of won all irelands and that's a fact. On big occasions the good teams and managers knew how to beat them, proof is in the results unfortunately.

On the u21 management team taking over the senior team everyone needs to get a grip. They had won the minor and the key players had three years strength and conditioning at intercountly level. I could of won the all ireland with that team on the sideline with a box of fags and bag of cans.

On the match Austin was given a free role, nothing wrong with it and probably the best role for his style. It's KK do often with Richie hogan or TJ. This is a perfect role for him but he was poor yesterday and we need our big players in big games, otherwise the results is inevitable

Again missing frees can't be blamed on management, Paudi has been good for Waterford just an off day. However missing frees isn't just a one point swing it has a huge impact on momentum. The miss at half time was huge and again the one in front on the posts when corks player got sent off gave cork back the momentum.

Shanahan was poor yesterday and the analysts who say different want to stop throwing stones from rose tinted glasshouses. Outside his goal he didn't offer much.
    Stephen Bennett lost his head early and lucky not to get sent off, his brother Shane was good winning possession but was consistently wasteful.

On a management critique de Burca should of been switched off Lehane for puck outs, naive and left gapping holes which the full back line couldn't handle with diagonal ball feeding the FF line. A worry is the lack of speed in out backs, something cork forwards have in abundance.

Questions have to be asked if brick has championship games left, very poor yesterday. Conor Gleeson and Moran also poor and hopefully they will bounce back. Darragh fives will assist in improving the back line. I hope the soul searching brings this team together, lacked cohesion and siege mentality yesterday. These are needed if we want to win, while not wanting to blame management it has to be asked if this is a happy camp!

Overall it's a diificult to find any positives, it's worrying to think we may have KK in the next round. It could be a short year.

I agree with you regarding a lot of nonsense and that post is right up there with the worst of them.

Not managements fault BUT:

1: Austins role didn't work
    2: Moran was left on despite having a shocker and running out of juice
    3: de burca should have been switched
    4: Maurice had a stinker-stayed on
    5: exposing slow backs against fast forwards
    6: questions have to be asked if it's a happy camp.

Your post is one big contradiction.

Get a grip!

Happy camp howarya?

Darragh Fives was picked and told he was playing on Friday night. He knew no different officially until Sunday but seemingly the dogs on the street knew it in Lismore on Saturday night that Maurice was starting.

Dan has no say and has never had, his only interst is getting Maurice on.

In your piece, you never mentioned the two Mahoneys who along with Connors and Moran have the real influence in picking this team. Anyone who knows their hurling knows these are solid guys but don't have the pace for inter country hurling.

But even in my own club it's blasphemy to say this.

And btw Ken is bang on, he's walked the walk and recognises bulls*it when he sees and hears it.

Aussie should start centre back or centre forward and stay there.

Our best Waterford team at the moment if we had a real Manager, not just a sop to his ex pupils would be playing 15 against 15....

SOK
    Shane Fives
    Coughlan
    Connors
    Conor Glesson
    Darragh Fives
    Tadhg De Burca
    Jamie Barron
    Kevin Moran
    Shane Bennett
    Aussie
    Tommy Ryan
    Stephen Bennett
    Maurice
    Patrick Curran

Get a grip!

Happy camp howarya?

Darragh Fives was picked and told he was playing on Friday night. He knew no different officially until Sunday but seemingly the dogs on the street knew it in Lismore on Saturday night that Maurice was starting.

In your piece, you never mentioned the two Mahoneys who along with Connors and Moran have the real influence in picking this team. Anyone who knows their hurling knows these are solid guys but don't have the pace for inter country hurling.

And btw Ken is bang on, he's walked the walk and recognises bulls*it when he sees and hears it.

Our best Waterford team at the moment if we had a real Manager, not just a sop to his ex pupils would be playing 15 against 15....

SOK
    Shane Fives
    Coughlan
    Connors
    Conor Glesson
    Darragh Fives
    Tadhg De Burca
    Jamie Barron
    Conor Glesson
    Shane Bennett
    Aussie
    Tommy Ryan
    Stephen Bennett
    Maurice
    Patrick Curran

You have Connor Gleeson in there twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Mc Grath has resigned

Ropaire wrote: »
    You have Connor Gleeson in there twice.

Apologies, I meant Moran at centre field assuming his form improves as it usually does during the Summer when he gets more hurling into him.

That halfback back line would give us some go forward movement while the forwards would be placed in their most optimum positions where we would have some pace and ability to win possession.

At the moment we have neither of those.

• Advertisement

Get a grip!

Happy camp howarya?

SOK
    Shane Fives
    Coughlan
    Connors
    Conor Glesson
    Darragh Fives
    Tadhg De Burca
    Jamie Barron
    Conor Glesson
    Shane Bennett
    Aussie
    Tommy Ryan
    Stephen Bennett
    Maurice
    Patrick Curran

You'd better off getting a lend of six dwarves off Snow White and starting them in the forwards.

As a back I'd love that forward line, couldn't see them winning any ball of Ozzie is as poor as yesterday.

You'd better off getting a lend of six dwarves off Snow White and starting them in the forwards.

As a back I'd love that forward line, couldn't see them winning any ball of Ozzie is as poor as yesterday.

How much did we win up there yesterday with your pal Derek's pick?

Firstly, talk about the lack of pace with Paudie and Brick and the placement of Stephen Bennett in the half forward line.

Then talk about Paudie and the lack of pace and ability to win his own ball.

You telling me that Aussie at CF would be swanning over and back on the 40 like Paudie looking to pick up loose ball.

Anyone with a half hurling brain would never play Stephen Bennett outside the goal scoring zone.

Derek McGrath basically has no feel for hurling and has reduced our players to robots who have lost their basic intuition and flair for the game.

Hurling is not chess!

It pains me to say it but Cork won yesterday but hurling also won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Mc Grath has resigned

Any link to this?

Mc Grath has resigned

?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Mc Grath has resigned

You normally talk bollox so I'm guessing no different with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Regardless of whether you're pro or anti the management, the players play the style/formation that the manager decides.

So anyone saying its the players' fault is trying to have their cake and eat it.

Against Galway, we were told it was all part of a larger plan, taking off the fringe players who went 10 points up and bring on the established players and the team lost its balance and got run over in the last 20 minutes. Well its not looking like a master plan to my eyes now!

And I've no inside link to anyone on the team or management but to my eye, it looks like an unhappy camp with the attitude of the players and their lack of discipline yesterday.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/gaa-nua-30004731/10740688/

new GAA programme that looks into the science of todays setups.. A lot of insight into Waterfords stats team for this years league. Id imagine there very very busy today

i guess it was a BS about Mcgrath resigning ??

How much did we win up there yesterday with your pal Derek's pick?

Firstly, talk about the lack of pace with Paudie and Brick and the placement of Stephen Bennett in the half forward line.

Then talk about Paudie and the lack of pace and ability to win his own ball.

You telling me that Aussie at CF would be swanning over and back on the 40 like Paudie looking to pick up loose ball.

Anyone with a half hurling brain would never play Stephen Bennett outside the goal scoring zone.

Derek McGrath basically has no feel for hurling and has reduced our players to robots who have lost their basic intuition and flair for the game.

Hurling is not chess!

It pains me to say it but Cork won yesterday but hurling also won.

No pal, however in the opening half I thought mahony played well with runs across the 45 and into midfield, Is this not what centre forwards are suppose to do? Poor in second half though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

One further point that may have been lost along the way yesterday was the very small Waterford crowd that travelled to Thurles yesterday - got back to Dungarvan for half 7 and barely a Waterford car in sight from Cashel onwards. While I will be travelling wherever we end up on 1st July it is very apparent that many Waterford supporters that previously travelled to games have fallen out of love with this team and are staying at home. The experiment with negative defensive hurling has not worked and it's time to start again and get back to basics. The next managerial appointment is arguably the most important in over 50 years. We need someone from outside the county but can the county board afford one? John Allen or Donal O'Grady are the calibre of men we need to take this team forward

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    I agree with you regarding a lot of nonsense and that post is right up there with the worst of them.

Not managements fault BUT:

1: Austins role didn't work
    2: Moran was left on despite having a shocker and running out of juice
    3: de burca should have been switched
    4: Maurice had a stinker-stayed on
    5: exposing slow backs against fast forwards
    6: questions have to be asked if it's a happy camp.

Your post is one big contradiction.

Management have to take blame however players also need to accountable for their performance!

I suppose Brian Cody should be sacked for hogan being poor against Wexford?

De Burca had to stay for puckouts, he also should of called it, good centebacks know when to hold the line, I do agree also that management team should of bet this into them at half time

One further point that may have been lost along the way yesterday was the very small Waterford crowd that travelled to Thurles yesterday - got back to Dungarvan for half 7 and barely a Waterford car in sight from Cashel onwards. While I will be travelling wherever we end up on 1st July it is very apparent that many Waterford supporters that previously travelled to games have fallen out of love with this team and are staying at home. The experiment with negative defensive hurling has not worked and it's time to start again and get back to basics. The next managerial appointment is arguably the most important in over 50 years. We need someone from outside the county but can the county board afford one? John Allen or Donal O'Grady are the calibre of men we need to take this team forward

How would John Allen cycle to Walsh park?
    Donal o Grady hates Waterford, couldn't afford him either unless the sheikhs who bought the north quay develop an interest in hurling

didnt really work for Limerick other than a munster title with Allen and these lads methods may be a bit outdated for todays game. Id say the county board will not be able to afford a big outside name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

How would John Allen cycle to Walsh park?
    Donal o Grady hates Waterford, couldn't afford him either unless the sheikhs who bought the north quay develop an interest in hurling

That last comment is one of the best of last couple of days!

Not necessarily saying these are the exact men we should go for but if we are serious about moving forward we need to bring in someone with experience of actually winning something to replace the negative fear driven mindset that Davy and Derek brought with them. There is nobody within the county at this level and the board owe it to the players and the supporters to go the extra mile and get a decent manager given the talent that is at our disposal. There will be no shortage of interest this time around despite McGraths best efforts to beat any element of progressive hurling out of the panel. I wonder would Anthony Daly be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

That last comment is one of the best of last couple of days!

Not necessarily saying these are the exact men we should go for but if we are serious about moving forward we need to bring in someone with experience of actually winning something to replace the negative fear driven mindset that Davy and Derek brought with them. There is nobody within the county at this level and the board owe it to the players and the supporters to go the extra mile and get a decent manager given the talent that is at our disposal. There will be no shortage of interest this time around despite McGraths best efforts to beat any element of progressive hurling out of the panel. I wonder would Anthony Daly be interested?

Not Daly please - a good man but not a good manager

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Do we have the players? A lot of our hopes are based on the 2013 minors and 2016 U21s - Limerick 2013 minors were just as good as us, if not better, plus they also have an u21 under their belts, but they arent making any impact at all at senior level....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Not Daly please - a good man but not a good manager
    Hopeless on the sideline. No tactical nous. He literally ran that Dublin team into the ground aswell, overstayed his term by 2 or 3 years. Too many big games they fell short because they were over-worked, stuck to the ground and clueless on the sideline.  He wouldn't be a step-up from McGrath at all. From what I can gather he has a nice cushy number with Limerick Co Board now anyway, on McManus's payroll. So much so he didn't even bother running for the  senior job there.
    We could do worse than Sean Power. Interesting to see how he fairs with the u21s this year. Not as strong as last year but still enough quality to win it if they are managed in the right way. I know he had an exceptional side last year but you have to give credit as to how they were set up aswell. Everyone knew their job, who they were marking. Clear direct style of hurling. Big players utilised properly. Gleeson at centre back, Bennett in around the square. Basic stuff, but contrast to what we had to endure last Sunday. He has shown he can get the best out of these players and has the success on his CV to back up his credentials. Admittedly he would need a good coach and strong backroom team around him, but definitely deserves a shot at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

Agree that it is of severe importance who is next to manage the team just remember how many outside the county managers have won an All Ireland in either code. I believe there is people in the county who can bring the team up the steps of the Hogan stand.

JesusRef wrote: »
    Do we have the players? A lot of our hopes are based on the 2013 minors and 2016 U21s - Limerick 2013 minors were just as good as us, if not better, plus they also have an u21 under their belts, but they arent making any impact at all at senior level....

Limerick have a history of not realising their potential. Won 3 u21s in the noughties winning little. I think we have the players but they need to be trained and managed smarter. Players also need to deliver on their potential. My worry is that our current underage is not competing strongly.
    We need to keep working hard at underage. Would like to be proven wrong here if anyone can shed more light.

• Advertisement

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Hopeless on the sideline. No tactical nous. He literally ran that Dublin team into the ground aswell, overstayed his term by 2 or 3 years. Too many big games they fell short because they were over-worked, stuck to the ground and clueless on the sideline.  He wouldn't be a step-up from McGrath at all. From what I can gather he has a nice cushy number with Limerick Co Board now anyway, on McManus's payroll. So much so he didn't even bother running for the  senior job there.
    We could do worse than Sean Power. Interesting to see how he fairs with the u21s this year. Not as strong as last year but still enough quality to win it if they are managed in the right way. I know he had an exceptional side last year but you have to give credit as to how they were set up aswell. Everyone knew their job, who they were marking. Clear direct style of hurling. Big players utilised properly. Gleeson at centre back, Bennett in around the square. Basic stuff, but contrast to what we had to endure last Sunday. He has shown he can get the best out of these players and has the success on his CV to back up his credentials. Admittedly he would need a good coach and strong backroom team around him, but definitely deserves a shot at it.

I'm agree, I think he would be able to get a good bunch of backroom team around him too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement