Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I know Sunday was very bad, especially given how much was built towards it but teams have bounced back from defeat before. if we can get some momentum perhaps it will even turn out a good thing losing on Sunday.

It sounds like there'll be a new manager whenevee the season ends regardless, but it won't change before year end. Hopefully the team can bounce back, I'll be there until we do bow out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

robopaddy2 wrote: »

Not Daly please - a good man but not a good manager
    Hopeless on the sideline. No tactical nous. He literally ran that Dublin team into the ground aswell, overstayed his term by 2 or 3 years. Too many big games they fell short because they were over-worked, stuck to the ground and clueless on the sideline.  He wouldn't be a step-up from McGrath at all. From what I can gather he has a nice cushy number with Limerick Co Board now anyway, on McManus's payroll. So much so he didn't even bother running for the  senior job there.
    We could do worse than Sean Power. Interesting to see how he fairs with the u21s this year. Not as strong as last year but still enough quality to win it if they are managed in the right way. I know he had an exceptional side last year but you have to give credit as to how they were set up aswell. Everyone knew their job, who they were marking. Clear direct style of hurling. Big players utilised properly. Gleeson at centre back, Bennett in around the square. Basic stuff, but contrast to what we had to endure last Sunday. He has shown he can get the best out of these players and has the success on his CV to back up his credentials. Admittedly he would need a good coach and strong backroom team around him, but definitely deserves a shot at it.
    The man should be given a chance, he's proven himself capable. He will also know a lot of the players extremely well and what they can/cannot do. 
    Everyone saying that they could have won an all Ireland with that team. That is just absolute horse manure! If anything could be said about Waterford teams in the past then you would say their mentality hasn't been right, losing many games they probably should have won. He managed to tune their killer instinct and make sure they did not let up, ever. They literally took apart every team they came across, that takes serious preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

if Mount Sion don't even rate Sean Power, how could we give him the senior job. I like his backroom team but I don't think he'd be up to it for inter county, we need someone with proven experience ....for me if we go for Power then it's 2014 all over again. If Mcgrath does leave I would love to see Jimmy Barry in there...but how likely is that

Deiseen wrote: »
    robopaddy2 wrote: »

Not Daly please - a good man but not a good manager
    Hopeless on the sideline. No tactical nous. He literally ran that Dublin team into the ground aswell, overstayed his term by 2 or 3 years. Too many big games they fell short because they were over-worked, stuck to the ground and clueless on the sideline.  He wouldn't be a step-up from McGrath at all. From what I can gather he has a nice cushy number with Limerick Co Board now anyway, on McManus's payroll. So much so he didn't even bother running for the  senior job there.
    We could do worse than Sean Power. Interesting to see how he fairs with the u21s this year. Not as strong as last year but still enough quality to win it if they are managed in the right way. I know he had an exceptional side last year but you have to give credit as to how they were set up aswell. Everyone knew their job, who they were marking. Clear direct style of hurling. Big players utilised properly. Gleeson at centre back, Bennett in around the square. Basic stuff, but contrast to what we had to endure last Sunday. He has shown he can get the best out of these players and has the success on his CV to back up his credentials. Admittedly he would need a good coach and strong backroom team around him, but definitely deserves a shot at it.
    The man should be given a chance, he's proven himself capable. He will also know a lot of the players extremely well and what they can/cannot do. 
    Everyone saying that they could have won an all Ireland with that team. That is just absolute horse manure! If anything could be said about Waterford teams in the past then you would say their mentality hasn't been right, losing many games they probably should have won. He managed to tune their killer instinct and make sure they did not let up, ever. They literally took apart every team they came across, that takes serious preparation.
    Power got lucky in my opinion that both Limerick and Dublin were knocked out before any potential clash. Fair play they won the AI that's an unbelievable achievement...but they lost twice in 2013 and they had all home games in the Munster championship last year...I dunno, with that panel of players I could have been the manager

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

I know Sunday was very bad, especially given how much was built towards it but teams have bounced back from defeat before. if we can get some momentum perhaps it will even turn out a good thing losing on Sunday.

It sounds like there'll be a new manager whenevee the season ends regardless, but it won't change before year end. Hopefully the team can bounce back, I'll be there until we do bow out anyway.

The only chance we have of getting out of qualifiers this year is if the players take matters into their own hands play 15 on 15 and completely ignore management's instructions. Even at that it's highly unlikely that they will be able to resist reverting to the way they have been programmed to retreat for an entire game - although they weren't far off last year in the KK replay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

The only chance we have of getting out of qualifiers this year is if the players take matters into their own hands play 15 on 15 and completely ignore management's instructions. Even at that it's highly unlikely that they will be able to resist reverting to the way they have been programmed to retreat for an entire game - although they weren't far off last year in the KK replay.

You really believe it's that simple. 15 on 15, pull hard etc. Incredibly naive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Power got lucky in my opinion that both Limerick and Dublin were knocked out before any potential clash. Fair play they won the AI that's an unbelievable achievement...but they lost twice in 2013 and they had all home games in the Munster championship last year...I dunno, with that panel of players I could have been the manager
    We would have blown away either Limerick or Dublin, hands down. The teams that beat them never even got near us.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

As a long time supporter I can see the pattern here, I think we all can. When the pressure was on , we couldn't live with it. Expectation is a huge burden for our hurlers, we cldnt cope when the game turned against us and our hurling was not up to scratch, Cork were sharper, had a better touch and had much better awareness than us of where their team-mates were.

The players give up a lot to play for their county, I cldnt do it. Derek and management do so too. Have no strong views on whether Derek shld stay on or go - however as supporters are we not a little crazy to keep going to games when the same game is essentially played out in front of us?. Going to games means 6/7 hours away from family life , ticket/fuel costs etc. The hurling isn't attractive to watch. It was great to watch us in the 2000's expressing ourselves on the pitch, fantastic times. Am seriously considering not going to the qualifier games for the above reasons - I can only speak for myself but it is getting harder to get on the road to support this team. I will always support my county.

Tramore84 wrote: »
    As a long time supporter I can see the pattern here, I think we all can. When the pressure was on , we couldn't live with it. Expectation is a huge burden for our hurlers, we cldnt cope when the game turned against us and our hurling was not up to scratch, Cork were sharper, had a better touch and had much better awareness than us of where their team-mates were.

The players give up a lot to play for their county, I cldnt do it. Derek and management do so too. Have no strong views on whether Derek shld stay on or go - however as supporters are we not a little crazy to keep going to games when the same game is essentially played out in front of us?. Going to games means 6/7 hours away from family life , ticket/fuel costs etc. The hurling isn't attractive to watch. It was great to watch us in the 2000's expressing ourselves on the pitch, fantastic times. Am seriously considering not going to the qualifier games for the above reasons - I can only speak for myself but it is getting harder to get on the road to support this team. I will always support my county.

I wouldn't give up hope yet. It's a young group of players. A lot of these players have All Ireland medals at underage level. There's plenty of time for them to improve and develop and make the breakthrough.

I think the style of play stuff is overstated also. I've enjoyed most if the games over the past couple of years. Perhaps we feel different tactics might help us get better results but I don't think it's been bad entertainment at all. It's still a good day out in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Last Sunday's debacle doesn't reflect well either on Fergal Hartley and Eoin Murphy - Derek's eyes in the stand.

Either they saw nothing worth changing or were completely ignored by Derek if they suggested something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

SW1985 wrote: »
    I wouldn't give up hope yet. It's a young group of players. A lot of these players have All Ireland medals at underage level. There's plenty of time for them to improve and develop and make ghetto breakthrough.

I think the style of play stuff is overstated also. I've enjoyed most if the games over the past couple of years. Perhaps we feel different tactics might help us get better results but I don't think it's been bad entertainment at all. It's still a good day out in my opinion

True some of lads are still years off there peak. Brick and Moran are almost done, after them the end is near for Noel Connors and Shane Fives. It's not going to be instant success when the new guys take over and may take a year or 2 to get right and the championship scene will be a lot different eg new championahip structure, earlier dates etc

I'll go too wherever we play on July 1st and will never turn my back on the team cause of the way they play.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wouldn't give up hope yet. It's a young group of players. A lot of these players have All Ireland medals at underage level. There's plenty of time for them to improve and develop and make ghetto breakthrough.

True some of lads are still years off there peak. Brick and Moran are almost done, after them the end is near for Noel Connors and Shane Fives. It's not going to be instant success when the new guys take over and may take a year or 2 to get right and the championship scene will be a lot different eg new championahip structure, earlier dates etc

I'll go too wherever we play on July 1st and will never turn my back on the team cause of the way they play.
    Connors is 27 and Fives is 28....what are you talking about

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Connors is 27 and Fives is 28....what are you talking about

Guys are retiring younger these days (early 30's)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Deise boii

In relation to a new manager what would people think of Mattie Murphy the cula manager. Although he could be lined up for the Dublin job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Tramore84 wrote: »
    as supporters are we not a little crazy to keep going to games when the same game is essentially played out in front of us?. Going to games means 6/7 hours away from family life , ticket/fuel costs etc. The hurling isn't attractive to watch. It was great to watch us in the 2000's expressing ourselves on the pitch, fantastic times. Am seriously considering not going to the qualifier games for the above reasons - I can only speak for myself but it is getting harder to get on the road to support this team. I will always support my county.

That pretty much sums up my sentiments exactly. Even the games we've won over the last few years I haven't really enjoyed. We really play a horrible brand of hurling. I still keep going because that's the team I support but am starting to question it a bit now. I know deep down I'll still keep going but others are definitely voting with their feet. There was a poor enough crowd from Waterford on Sunday.

I don't understand why it's assumed that we need outside managers all the time? Most of them just bleed the county dry. Sean Power deserves a shot after what he's done at underage; it might work, it might not. It didn't work with Brian Kerr with Ireland I know. We have a wealth of retired top class guys that could help out with coaching etc. Pity we couldn't get someone else in now for the rest of the season because McGrath has shown he's just not capable or willing to change a proven failed formula. He's just wasting talented players time at this stage.

I'd actually like to see the same rule for managers as for players. You need to be from the county or registered with a club in the county etc to coach them. For the Liam McCarthy teams anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

has he resigned?

has he resigned?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1 topofthetown

I have been an occasional reader of this Board but never posted until now. The performance on Sunday was disappointing but that is sport. Mistakes were made on and off the pitch but none of them intentional. Cork had momentum coming into the game and sometimes that is very difficult to combat.
    Why I am really posting is to ask that we all get behind the team and management and stop the criticism of players being "too big for their boots" and management living in a bubble.
    In 57, Waterford nearly won the All Ireland with a very young team. Everyone expected them to push on in 58 but they were hammered by Tipp in the first round. After the game, the team were spat at by their own supporters walking back to the station in Thurles. In 59 they went on to win the All Ireland so its nothing new to rush to judgement. What was a good team with ambitions to win an All Ireland on Saturday is still a good team today and we must support them 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

I have been an occasional reader of this Board but never posted until now. The performance on Sunday was disappointing but that is sport. Mistakes were made on and off the pitch but none of them intentional. Cork had momentum coming into the game and sometimes that is very difficult to combat.
    Why I am really posting is to ask that we all get behind the team and management and stop the criticism of players being "too big for their boots" and management living in a bubble.
    In 57, Waterford nearly won the All Ireland with a very young team. Everyone expected them to push on in 58 but they were hammered by Tipp in the first round. After the game, the team were spat at by their own supporters walking back to the station in Thurles. In 59 they went on to win the All Ireland so its nothing new to rush to judgement. What was a good team with ambitions to win an All Ireland on Saturday is still a good team today and we must support them 100%

Couldn't agree more. We're a great county for over the top kneejerk reactions when we lose. The players and the management don't put in all the hours on and off the pitch to go out and intentionally lose a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Deise boii wrote: »
    In relation to a new manager what would people think of Mattie Murphy the cula manager. Although he could be lined up for the Dublin job

Mattie Murphy is the former Galway minor/senior manager. I think you mean Mattie Kenny. He has good experience being involved in 2 successful Galway u 21 winning teams and also part of the senior set up in 2012. He lives in Galway and works in Dublin. No way would he be able to take on Waterford - crazy amount of travel!! I think he will be a future Dublin manager though and will do a good job with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

People need to remember that there's no one more disappointed in that performance then all the players and management team. It's ok to be critical but people need to keep this in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

Couldn't agree more. We're a great county for over the top kneejerk reactions when we lose. The players and the management don't put in all the hours on and off the pitch to go out and intentionally lose a game.

I agree. Although I'm not a McGrath fan, I'll behind him and the team and hope he learns from his mistakes and we drive on.
    No doubt that we have the talent and personnel to challenge as shown last year, and they can recover and go far. Look at Tipp in '10 and Kilkenny in '12. Even look at ourselves from '08!
    A draw against the so called weaker counties would in no doubt help for the next round to get back on track and there's would be a possibility Tipp or Kilkenny could be gone by then and another favourable draw would be possible.
    Suddenly we have momentum and confidence as I remember in '08, we were at an all time low. Suddenly narrow wins over Offaly and Wexford and we built for Tipp in the semi final and shocked them.
    Don't give up on these lads. As was said they didn't underperform on purpose and gave their all. Still plenty of hurling to be played in 2017.

I agree. Although I'm not a McGrath fan, I'll behind him and the team and hope he learns from his mistakes and we drive on.
    No doubt that we have the talent and personnel to challenge as shown last year, and they can recover and go far. Look at Tipp in '10 and Kilkenny in '12. Even look at ourselves from '08!
    A draw against the so called weaker counties would in no doubt help for the next round to get back on track and there's would be a possibility Tipp or Kilkenny could be gone by then and another favourable draw would be possible.
    Suddenly we have momentum and confidence as I remember in '08, we were at an all time low. Suddenly narrow wins over Offaly and Wexford and we built for Tipp in the semi final and shocked them.
    Don't give up on these lads. As was said they didn't underperform on purpose and gave their all. Still plenty of hurling to be played in 2017.

We need a big big improvement on last Sunday if we want to do anything in the qualifiers

Worst draws we could get are Kilkenny (home or away), Dublin (home or away, Parnell park has been a nightmare for us in the past). We should be able too beat Offaly and Westmeath (although Kevin Ryan and Michael Ryan will have good insight on us) and if we can't beat them than we don't deserve to go any further.

Deise Gael wrote: »
    Last Sunday's debacle doesn't reflect well either on Fergal Hartley and Eoin Murphy - Derek's eyes in the stand.

Either they saw nothing worth changing or were completely ignored by Derek if they suggested something.

Your forgetting the famous Rua Cadhla aswell his number 1 statsman, he who never lifted a Hurley in his entire life. Looking at the Cork sideline the contrast in quality of personnel was stark, KIngston, The Rock, John Meyler, Pat Hartlett etc. we have got just Dan patrolling and Derek sitting there observing. When you witness the shambles we saw on Sunday you have to start questioning what's going on. I'm all for innovation and people having their own style and ideas, but I'm starting to think that this McGrath is just a dreamer. Whatever his philosophy is he doesn't seem to be able to pull it off, it's clear the players aren't doing it for him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Its all well and good to be saying how we can still come back from this and make our way through the qualifiers, and I will certainly go along to support the team, but it was the nature of the defeat that is so concerning. We were completely flat and rudderless for a game that we had been targetting since before Christmas. Something has gone seriously wrong, all does not seem right with the set up these days.

With an abject championship performance now added to an abject league campaign and defections of selectors and players mid season (Murphy, O'Brien and Devine), its getting harder to believe that all is well within the camp.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Its all well and good to be saying how we can still come back from this and make our way through the qualifiers, and I will certainly go along to support the team, but it was the nature of the defeat that is so concerning. We were completely flat and rudderless for a game that we had been targetting since before Christmas. Something has gone seriously wrong, all does not seem right with the set up these days.

With an abject championship performance now added to an abject league campaign and defections of selectors and players mid season (Murphy, O'Brien and Devine), its getting harder to believe that all is well within the camp.

if theres issues hopefully they get sorted this week or before the qualifers. Get eveyone in the one room and say there home truths and try and resolve them

A round 1 loss will be very very disapointing (if we lose to Kilkenny maybe not so, as its a very difficult draw) and thats when **** will hit the fan

On to another subject the under 21s may be in for a much tougher match on the 13th July against Cork in the munster semi final than we previously expected. Cork hurling at all ages is in a very good place atm and tbh Waterford hurling is at an all time low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

PTH2009 wrote: »
    tbh Waterford hurling is at an all time low

:D

Oh ye of short memories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I think Waterford thought all they had to do was to show up.I definitely think that Waterford took Cork for granted.Cork had way too much hurling for Waterford on the day.Billy Coopers shoulder on Kevin Moran was a massive statement of intent.I knew there and then that Cork would not be beaten.You can never write off a Cork team.Let that be a lesson to ye.Waterford are still a good team but they need to drop this blanket defense rubbish.Just go out there and take teams on man on man.The reality is that Waterford haven't won a senior all Ireland in nearly 60 years.Time patience and no kneejerk reactions are what's required here.The hurling talent is in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Gavlor wrote: »
    :D

Oh ye of short memories!!

Is it bad form to bring up the early 90s which included a championship defeat to Kerry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I'd agree with most of what Larkin says in this piece
    http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/elarkin/eoin-larkin-waterford-austin-gleeson/

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Ropaire wrote: »
    I'd agree with most of what Larkin says in this piece
    http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/elarkin/eoin-larkin-waterford-austin-gleeson/
    Not sure why Larkin would suggest that our centre back should have picked up Conor Lehane who was roaming all over the field. De Burca must hold the centre and let a midfielder or half forward cover Lehane.

I wonder what peoples definition of a sweeper is sometimes. If you take a man out of your full forward line, are you automatically playing a sweeper?

If thats the case then Larkin himself was a sweeper for Kilkenny the last few years, but of course its not. Bourke picked Lehane up anytime he went in centre forward, but he didn't stay in there much. A center back has to hold their position, we did not play with anyone sweeping in front of Coughlan on Sunday.

Larkin's articles are very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Just read on other social media that Fergal Hartley and Eoin Murphy have been added to the backroom team for the rest of the season. True?

Just read on other social media that Fergal Hartley and Eoin Murphy have been added to the backroom team for the rest of the season. True?

Hope so. Something needed to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

They were both together at the front of the Ui Riain stand last Sunday wearing official Waterford gear so they were i some way involved already

• Advertisement

They were both together at the front of the Ui Riain stand last Sunday wearing official Waterford gear so they were i some way involved already

There input last Sunday may or may not of worked ???

I wonder did the stats guy who was on RTE Monday night spot anything wrong Sunday and report it ??

I think Waterford thought all they had to do was to show up.I definitely think that Waterford took Cork for granted.Cork had way too much hurling for Waterford on the day.Billy Coopers shoulder on Kevin Moran was a massive statement of intent.I knew there and then that Cork would not be beaten.You can never write off a Cork team.Let that be a lesson to ye.Waterford are still a good team but they need to drop this blanket defense rubbish.Just go out there and take teams on man on man.The reality is that Waterford haven't won a senior all Ireland in nearly 60 years.Time patience and no kneejerk reactions are what's required here.The hurling talent is in the county.

Set up was pretty conventional on Sunday. There wasn't any blanket defence. That a big part of why most of our backs got roasted.

Do people watch matches or trot out the same pre-prepared narratives??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Set up was pretty conventional on Sunday. There wasn't any blanket defence. That a big part of why most of our backs got roasted.

Do people watch matches or trot out the same pre-prepared narratives??

Sick of hearing the same tripe too

While i'm not the biggest fan of always using a sweeper (with no plan B like last year) it was madness to abandon it for this game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

But not having that isn't killing its that we haven't our six forwards up close enough to their goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Eoin Murphy ratified as Senior Hurling Selector last night, had been acting in advisory capacity in recent weeks. Hope his input will be taken on board by McGrath as I've found him insightful anytime hes been on WLR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

I would have to question if Eoin Larkin even watched the game after that article - terrible stuff he must have wrote it before the game

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

thesultan wrote: »
    But not having that isn't killing its that we haven't our six forwards up close enough to their goal.

Yep - we arent giving ourselves a chance, it must be totally demoralising for the young lads up there...

I would bring Shane Bennet to midfield (not a provider or finisher, play to his strengths out the field)
    Half forward line of Omahony, gleeson and halloran/dunford.
    Full line of Curran, Brick and Stephen bennet and keep them in there....
    Brick the provider with two proven finishers

deisedude wrote: »
    Sick of hearing the same tripe too

While i'm not the biggest fan of always using a sweeper (with no plan B like last year) it was madness to abandon it for this game

Agreed. We went 15 on 15 in the league against them and got destroyed, then Tipp tried it with the same result. Sweeper would have been perfect for this game to nullify their pace and help deal with those diagonal balls to the forwards. I think he bowed to the pressure.

Amazingly then you come on here and everyone is moaning about how his sweeper system cost us the game and how we need to play 15 on 15 etc. More interested in their agenda than what actually happened

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

does anyone know if Mc Grath has done the decent thing and walked away yet ?

does anyone know if Mc Grath done the decent thing and walked away yet ?

Did you not confirm the news a couple of days ago?

JesusRef wrote: »
    Yep - we arent giving ourselves a chance, it must be totally demoralising for the young lads up there...

I would bring Shane Bennet to midfield (not a provider or finisher, play to his strengths out the field)
    Half forward line of Omahony, gleeson and halloran/dunford.
    Full line of Curran, Brick and Stephen bennet and keep them in there....
    Brick the provider with two proven finishers
    it gets worse

Did you not confirm the news a couple of days ago?
    unfortunately i was misled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

JesusRef wrote: »
    I would have to question if Eoin Larkin even watched the game after that article - terrible stuff he must have wrote it before the game

yeh , shur what would he know about the game ........ :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Deise Gael wrote: »
    Get a grip!

Happy camp howarya?

Darragh Fives was picked and told he was playing on Friday night. He knew no different officially until Sunday but seemingly the dogs on the street knew it in Lismore on Saturday night that Maurice was starting.

Dan has no say and has never had, his only interst is getting Maurice on.

In your piece, you never mentioned the two Mahoneys who along with Connors and Moran have the real influence in picking this team. Anyone who knows their hurling knows these are solid guys but don't have the pace for inter country hurling.

But even in my own club it's blasphemy to say this.

And btw Ken is bang on, he's walked the walk and recognises bulls*it when he sees and hears it.

Aussie should start centre back or centre forward and stay there.

Our best Waterford team at the moment if we had a real Manager, not just a sop to his ex pupils would be playing 15 against 15....

SOK
    Shane Fives
    Coughlan
    Connors
    Conor Glesson
    Darragh Fives
    Tadhg De Burca
    Jamie Barron
    Kevin Moran
    Shane Bennett
    Aussie
    Tommy Ryan
    Stephen Bennett
    Maurice
    Patrick Curran

The team you picked might not be the answer but it's certainly worth a try. KK in their pomp always picked players based on training not just reputation. This squad of 30 odd players go to Fota for a week training and not one of the fringe players impressed enough to win a place on the team. If that is the case then what is the point of these training camps if no matter what happens the same team will be picked on reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

One thing Derek surely must do is play Shane Bennett out the field where his work rate and team play will be put to use and Stephen in near the goal where he will do damage. I'm convinced he got their names mixed up last weekend when naming the team and nobody had the heart to tell him!

Agree on Tommy Ryan. Seems rejuvenated and deserves more game time. Fair play to him for the effort to get back in there as most players would have gone on the booze and enjoyed life after a few years on the panel without making an impression and then getting dropped. Shows he really wants it to fight his way back in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement