Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    So the draw is being made today and the games are going to take place this weekend?

Yes and this Saturday afaik. Round 2 the following Saturday if we progress

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

Cake Man wrote: »
    Eager to see who we get in the qualifier draw, we'd want to be fairly unlucky to draw KK (1 in 4 chance) but even more unlucky to draw them plus being away from home. If we did draw them at home, would they really have a game of that magnitude in Walsh park?
    Not sure I'd agree with the people who are hoping to draw them, might be best to get a handy draw against the likes of Offaly, Westmeath etc. and build from there. I'm coming from the point of view that if we were to draw KK, it'd take a huge energy sapping effort to get over them and if we somehow did, we'd then be facing into another game a week later (most definitely against the likes of Tipp/Limerick/Dublin). It would be AI semi final '07 all over again and even KK struggled with this in 2013 after two draining games against Tipp and ourselves when a week later Cork knocked them out at the AI quarter final stage.
    Just goes to show how difficult we've made things for ourselves after last Sunday.

100%. You'd have to be a complete moron or at least not understand the format to want Kilkenny in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

SW1985 wrote: »
    Eager to see who we get in the qualifier draw, we'd want to be fairly unlucky to draw KK (1 in 4 chance) but even more unlucky to draw them plus being away from home. If we did draw them at home, would they really have a game of that magnitude in Walsh park?
    Not sure I'd agree with the people who are hoping to draw them, might be best to get a handy draw against the likes of Offaly, Westmeath etc. and build from there. I'm coming from the point of view that if we were to draw KK, it'd take a huge energy sapping effort to get over them and if we somehow did, we'd then be facing into another game a week later (most definitely against the likes of Tipp/Limerick/Dublin). It would be AI semi final '07 all over again and even KK struggled with this in 2013 after two draining games against Tipp and ourselves when a week later Cork knocked them out at the AI quarter final stage.
    Just goes to show how difficult we've made things for ourselves after last Sunday.

100%. You'd have to be a complete moron or at least not understand the format to want Kilkenny in the first round.
    There is some merit in it. If we are good enough then we will beat them. If we are not then won't. It's championship now and there is no hiding.

Offaly away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tullamore it is

Balls of a draw really overall

Home Draw not yet made
    Offaly V Waterford
    Dublin V Laois
    Kilkenny V Limerick
    Tipp V Westmeath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tullamore it is

You kidding me???

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Tullamore it is

You kidding me???
    Best draw to be fair. Offaly are middle of the range there so good to get us back on track but also not complete walk over.

You kidding me???

Yeah 3 games a bit predictable and home advantage will prob win it for Kilkenny

Kevin Ryan will have Offaly ready no doubt and a shock could be on the cards if we take them lightly. We should be winning it well really and a loss would be embarrassing. Hopefully a good crowd will travel up prob be 5pm on Saturday 1st July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Deiseen wrote: »
    Tullamore it is

You kidding me???
    Best draw to be fair. Offaly are middle of the range there so good to get us back on track but also not complete walk over.

Look the way the draw has worked out it's going to be ourselves kk Tipp and Dublin in the following round more than likely anyway. So handy enough draw but the following weekend is going to be the make or break one. Just happy enough that we should be back within one game of getting to an AI qf after next weekend

• Advertisement

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Tullamore it is

You kidding me???

Look the way the draw has worked out it's going to be ourselves kk Tipp and Dublin in the following round more than likely anyway. So handy enough draw but the following weekend is going to be the make or break one. Just happy enough that we should be back within one game of getting to an AI qf after next weekend
    The next draw will be an absolute nightmare. 66% chance of getting Tipp or KK

Home Draw not yet made
    Offaly V Waterford
    Dublin V Laois
    Kilkenny V Limerick
    Tipp V Westmeath

Home draw was made first team in each of those at home

Tullamore it is

Only balls of it was that KK didn't draw Tipp

Is there any chance we will play them in walsh park ause we played Offaly in Tullamore in 2013 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Hopefully a good crowd will travel up prob be 5pm on Saturday 1st July

After the last game I can't see too many being compelled to drive to Tullamore.

Is there any chance we will play them in walsh park ause we played Offaly in Tullamore in 2013 ???

No. First team out has home advantage

There is some merit in it. If we are good enough then we will beat them. If we are not then won't. It's championship now and there is no hiding.

There's no merit in it. Well have a tough game the following week in the second round. I'll be happy to get there without coming through a huge battle in the first. Logic says it's easier to win one tough game than two

d
    The next draw will be an absolute nightmare. 66% chance of getting Tipp or KK[/quote]

Oh well so be it... we lost to Cork when it mattered so reap what you sow

SW1985 wrote: »
    There's no merit in it. Well have a tough game the following week in the second round. I'll be happy to get there without coming through a huge battle in the first. Logic says it's easier to win one tough game than two

one match at a time, we have too beat Offaly first

Paul Flynn and Kevin Ryan know a lot about Waterford and will use that to there advantage

Offaly beat Westmeath and stayed with Galway for large parts of the game ??

A big factor to tthe game will be what tactics will play and if the players will actually know what to do

• Advertisement

Offaly beat Westmeath and stayed with Galway for large parts of the game ??

Large parts of the game? You are some man PTH. Full time score galway 0-33 offaly 1-11. Half time score galway 0-16 offaly 1-6. Large parts of the game, my hairy hole. They got an early goal that's it.

We shouldn't take them for granted, especially away from home. But as always you are way overdoing it with pessimism, reading too much into Waterford people involved in offaly set up and a supposed performance v galway that in reality didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Happy enough with that, should hopefully have too much for them. Haven't really seen anything of Offaly the last few years but it would seem if anything they've regressed even further since we played them at the same stage in 2014. Get out of Tullamore with any sort of decent performance, victory and injury free and I'll be happy. Also good that Stephen Bennett would be back for the next round should we get through. The big one will be that next round though, 2 of us, KK and Tipp definitely going to meet you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Waterford will beat Offaly by at least a dozen points.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭deiseman17

Good draw and happy with that. Without taking Offaly for granted we should be putting up a score against them and get some sort of momentum going and have a rattle off whoever then the following week. Brick should should be rested for this game and give someone like Ryan or Halloran a run, and if they impress they should be given a shot the following week,how else can you judge players unless they play in big championship games?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

When do we find out time and dates for this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

carq wrote: »
    When do we find out time and dates for this ?

Confirmation of venues, times and dates for all fixtures will be confirmed following a meeting of the CCCC this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good draw, Offaly will put it up to waterford but we should have too much for them. It gives the set up an opportunity to get back on track.

The next round will be interesting, you'd have to fancy Kilkenny topp and Dublin to progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

KK struggled with this in 2013 after two draining games against Tipp and ourselves when a week later Cork knocked them out at the AI quarter final stage.

When Kilkenny beat us that year, it was their fourth week in a row playing but then they had a two-week gap before the game against Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Take no prisoners

3 o clock throw in on Saturday in tullamore. I wonder will the team head up on Friday evening or on the Saturday morning. Handy for me as live only a half hour away. Hope there's a decent following from Waterford. A bad start to the game and suddenly the home crowd could help cause a stir. Still expect us to win but don't think we justify the 1-50 odds with PP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

3 o clock throw in on Saturday in tullamore. I wonder will the team head up on Friday evening or on the Saturday morning. Handy for me as live only a half hour away. Hope there's a decent following from Waterford. A bad start to the game and suddenly the home crowd could help cause a stir. Still expect us to win but don't think we justify the 1-50 odds with PP.

Home crowd, are you having a laugh. We'll be lucky to have 2K supporting us. Could well be more Waterford than Offaly fans at that game.

Really can't see us living with ye, hope I'm wrong and we at least give ye a game. I bringing my young fella to his first Offaly hurling game so hopefully it won't scar him for life. Depressing times to be an Offaly fan in hurling or football

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

deiseman17 wrote: »
    Good draw and happy with that. Without taking Offaly for granted we should be putting up a score against them and get some sort of momentum going and have a rattle off whoever then the following week. Brick should should be rested for this game and give someone like Ryan or Halloran a run, and if they impress they should be given a shot the following week,how else can you judge players unless they play in big championship games?
    basically you're saying drop brick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Home crowd, are you having a laugh. We'll be lucky to have 2K supporting us. Could well be more Waterford than Offaly fans at that game.

Really can't see us living with ye, hope I'm wrong and we at least give ye a game. I bringing my young fella to his first Offaly hurling game so hopefully it won't scar him for life. Depressing times to be an Offaly fan in hurling or football
    it's fairly depressing being a Waterford supporter as well

Can't see many travelling up but it's an early throw in and we will all be home by 8pm. Ticket prices are ok too €15 Adults, €5 kids and €10 students/oaps

€10 for season ticket holders is good

No I'm clearly not having a laugh. We played ye in similar circumstances in 2013 and won by 4 points with our goalie making 2 late saves. We deserved the win but it was far closer than we wanted. I don't think our confidence is sky high either. My point was that a good start from ye, like ye got in 2013 and suddenly it becomes a tricky tie for Waterford. I expect us to win but I don't see us walking it to the extent the bookies are saying. Ye also had a decent crowd that day and outnumbered waterford fans by at least 3 to 1. I'd say only 2 thousand will travel from Waterford anyway.

Can't see many travelling up but it's an early throw in and we will all be home by 8pm. Ticket prices are ok too €15 Adults, €5 kids and €10 students/oaps

€10 for season ticket holders is good

Handy train journey for anyone based in the capital. The more that can make it the better.

As we all know in Waterford we don't do things easy and shocks do happen. Offaly have some very good players with the likes of Dooley and Bergin and will have there plans too adapt to our tactics. Paul Flynn and Kevin Ryan will of course have huge knowledge on the Waterford players

I'm nervous about this game and a loss for us will cause uproar and be heartbreaking

If we play too our ability we could win handy but we can't take this game lightly

2 of us plan on heading up anyway

As we all know in Waterford we don't do things easy and shocks do happen. Offaly have some very good players with the likes of Dooley and Bergin and will have there plans too adapt to our tactics. Paul Flynn and Kevin Ryan will of course have huge knowledge on the Waterford players

I'm nervous about this game and a loss for us will cause uproar and be heartbreaking

If we play too our ability we could win handy but we can't take this game lightly

2 of us plan on heading up anyway

We rarely seem to put teams to the sword the way Galway, Kilkenny and Tipp can. Hopefully they put the Cork game behind them and put in a performance and get the win. Managed to convince my wife to come and bringing the kids to their first game so hopefully it's a good game with a Déise win.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Offaly Exile

Lads, while ye might be low on confidence ye are light years away from Offaly in terms of fitness, s&c and skill levels and I say that sincerely as a proud Offaly man.

I never did forgive ye for the 1992 under 21 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

For us to get to QF.. If Carlsberg did draws;-)
    Hopefully get over Offaly.. Get Dublin in next round and let Kilkenny and Tipp at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

How come this isnt in walsh park??

I remember going to a qualifier match a few years ago in tullamore vs offaly

I wouldnt be suprised if limerick pull off a shock v kk.....imo that has makings of right battle

Delighted with the draw really. This nonsense that KK would be the ideal draw, ffs. What is Mullane smoking. Say we do beat them in a savage battle, and then what, get Tipp the following weekend and and up getting knocked out anyway?? The aim is to get back into the AI Quarters with a tie against possibly Wexford or Clare (cant meet Cork again). Handiest draw possible up until then required please.
    There is a big performance in this team, bigger than the one we seen against Cork anyway. Id rather we saw it later in the summer than a first round qualifier.

• Advertisement

How come this isnt in walsh park??

I remember going to a qualifier match a few years ago in tullamore vs offaly

I wouldnt be suprised if limerick pull off a shock v kk.....imo that has makings of right battle

On in tullamore as offaly won the draw for home advantage. No home/away arrangements in place outside the provincial championship

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Delighted with the draw really. This nonsense that KK would be the ideal draw, ffs. What is Mullane smoking. Say we do beat them in a savage battle, and then what, get Tipp the following weekend and and up getting knocked out anyway?? The aim is to get back into the AI Quarters with a tie against possibly Wexford or Clare (cant meet Cork again). Handiest draw possible up until then required please.
    There is a big performance in this team, bigger than the one we seen against Cork anyway. Id rather we saw it later in the summer than a first round qualifier.

Absolutely no idea how people don't get this. It's been absolutely baffling listening to half the county come out with this nonsense over the last week.

Galways Alan Kelly is the ref for Saturday

McGrath seems very wary of Offaly according to his interview on wlr last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

“A couple of years ago we did well to get past them in a tough league game, and going back further again, to the league in 2010, we beat them by just three points in a game in Dungarvan. Dan is going back a long way to talk up Offaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

With the greatest of respect to Offaly, if we don't win this game by double digits we have no business talking about being anywhere near the business end of the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tomm123

This thread is some dictatorship, Anyone that has spoken out about Derek McGrath since last September has been banned from this thread. All I can say about the current state of the Waterford Hurlers is We told you so. Where are all the Pro McGrath supporters now? Clueless Fools the whole lot of ye. He will be gone in the next few weeks thank god, however the damage he has done to Waterford hurling will last for years. Especially to the younger lads coming through in the past 3 years, they won All Irelands playing proper attacking hurling, Now they are after been ruined by this defensive bull the past few years that they wont be able to play either properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Is there a drought in Crottys Lake?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

tomm123 wrote:
    This thread is some dictatorship, Anyone that has spoken out about Derek McGrath since last September has been banned from this thread. All I can say about the current state of the Waterford Hurlers is We told you so. Where are all the Pro McGrath supporters now? Clueless Fools the whole lot of ye. He will be gone in the next few weeks thank god, however the damage he has done to Waterford hurling will last for years. Especially to the younger lads coming through in the past 3 years, they won All Irelands playing proper attacking hurling, Now they are after been ruined by this defensive bull the past few years that they wont be able to play either properly.

Good man culbaire, get your retaliation in early!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

cul beag wrote: »
    Is there a drought in Crottys Lake?

I see the bitter boys have returned !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

tomm123 wrote: »

Sure, can't they just come back with a new username and talk the usual bull**** like you are after doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement