Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Take no prisoners

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford 1-35 Offaly 0-14

This game ended up being dreadfully one-sided but this outcome did not look likely after 15 minutes, with Waterford playing listless and clueless hurling which was generating a lot of anger among the Déise supporters who made up the majority of the official attendance of 4,159. Offaly, by contrast, were working very hard, supporting each other and producing some good passing movements. Despite playing against the stiff wind, they were 0-5 to 0-4 ahead and we were all wondering why, with Waterford playing with the wind, against opposition of this quality who had two forwards playing deep in defence, Tadhg de Búrca was playing as a sweeper just in front of his own full back.

The cluelessness of the Waterford approach was reflected in Offaly’s puckout strategy, in which their goalkeeper repeatedly sent a short puckout to his left corner back who then played a ball infield to the Offaly No. 12, standing all alone 40 metres from his own goal, who had all the time in the world to play the ball out of defence. No one on the field had the wit to close down this simple ploy and no one on the sideline was doing anything about it either.

However, a series of Offaly defensive errors gave Waterford the openings to knock over a series of points and they moved on from there to completely take over the game. They upped their work rate while their far superior strength and conditioning gave them a major advantage in the physical exchanges. Austin Gleeson hit a goal chance straight at the goalkeeper but when a long ball in broke nicely for Shane Bennett in the 31st minute he finished expertly from close range. Despite eight wides, Waterford went in at half time ahead by 1-18 to 0-8 and the game was effectively over.

The second half was a cake walk for Waterford, as they dominated all over the field and, with plenty of space and time, played a lot of nice hurling, although it all had the feel of a training session. Offaly kept plugging away, but seven mostly bad second half wides did not help their cause.

Waterford brought on Stephen Daniels for Kevin Moran, with Darragh Fives moving to midfield (where he was mostly operating anyway), while up front Jake Dillon, Colin Dunford, Tommy Ryan and Patrick Curran replaced Maurice Shanahan, Brick Walsh, Pauric Mahony and Shane Bennett, with all the replacements getting on the score board. The injection of pace which these changes brought about was very noticeable and raises issues about the lack of pace in the starting line-up. At the death, Austin Gleeson was denied what would have been a brilliant goal by a magnificent save by Offaly goalie James Dempsey. Earlier, Dempsey had produced a good stop from Shane Bennett’s first-time pull following a good passing movement.

Ultimately, this game had little value in terms of preparation for the next qualifying game. Thirteen different players scored for Waterford, and we nearly had the experience of seeing what I am sure would have been Noel Connors’s first championship score when he found himself deep in the Offaly half late in the game but was fouled as he was about to pull the trigger.

Austin Gleeson saw a lot of ball and helped himself to six points from play, although he also produced some of the usual Hail Mary efforts. Pauric Mahony got his free-taking mojo back, putting over eight placed balls as well as three from play. However, I reckon Tadhg de Búrca was Waterford’s star player, repeatedly winning possession in defence and driving forward frequently in the second half to good effect. Darragh Fives also did very well, and it was great to see this lovely hurler completing a full 70 minutes. Patrick Curran looked sharp when he came on as a late substitute.

Waterford: Stephen O’Keeffe; Shane Fives; Barry Coughlan; Noel Connors; Darragh Fives (0-2); Tadhg de Búrca (0-1); Philip Mahony; Jamie Barron (0-2); Conor Gleeson; Kevin Moran (0-2); Paurice Mahony (0-11, 8 frees); Austin Gleeson (0-6); Michael Walsh (0-1); Shane Bennett (1-0); Maurice Shanahan (0-2).

Subs: Stephen Daniels; Jake Dillon (0-1); Colin Dunford (0-2); Tommy Ryan (0-1); Patrick Curran (0-4, 0-3 frees).

Excellent summation of the match. True that you can only beat what's in front of you as another poster said but good habits are important. Gleeson still went for a few speculative shots and then when Barron had the temerity to shoot from distance when in the midfield in a central position rather than passing to him, he bashed his hurl into the ground in disgust. This was shortly after he was played through and we had a 3 v 2 and rather than drawing the man and passing out to his right to a colleague, he decided to go for his own shot at goal- wrong option.
    I also agree with another poster who commented on the warm up and being professional in approach. That aside, we eventually got going and our shooting improved. Great to see the subs play so well when introduced. Would have liked to see Curran on earlier though. While we did put over a massive number of points, I don't think we went for goal often enough. I'm normally not one to like seeing teams slaughter and rub other teams noses in it when they're down but would have liked today to have seen us try and raise more green flags. As I said earlier, habits are important. If your instinct becomes that you take the easier option of going for your point, it'll eventually come back to bite you in a pressure game. On what was an awful day for Offaly, their keeper can hold his head high with the calibre of saves he made.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭tommylad1212

Will be a double header in Thurles no matter who's in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will be a double header in Thurles no matter who's in it

doubt it as Tipp will have home advantage then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

PTH2009 wrote: »
    doubt it as Tipp will have home advantage then

should they not have home advantage against kilkenny given the last time they played in championship was nolan park ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tomm123

should they not have home advantage against kilkenny given the last time they played in championship was nolan park ?

Tipp, Kilkenny have a Home/away agreement so if they were drawn to play each other they would toss for it. That's the only way a double header will happen

• Advertisement

tomm123 wrote: »
    Tipp, Kilkenny have a Home/away agreement so if they were drawn to play each other they would toss for it. That's the only way a double header will happen

yeah and Waterford vs Dublin will prob be the curtain raiser

few possibilites

Thurles
    if Waterford vs Kilkenny or Waterford vs Dublin

Netwatch Dr Cullen Park Carlow (Carlow are playing Leitrim in the football at 3pm Sat 8th July, hurling could throw in at 5pm)
    If Waterford vs Dublin or Waterford vs Tipp

Nowlan Park Kilkenny
    if Waterford vs Dublin or Waterford vs Tipp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

yeah and Waterford vs Dublin will prob be the curtain raiser

few possibilites

Thurles
    if Waterford vs Kilkenny or Waterford vs Dublin

Netwatch Dr Cullen Park Carlow (Carlow are playing Leitrim in the football at 3pm Sat 8th July, hurling could throw in at 5pm)
    If Waterford vs Dublin or Waterford vs Tipp

Nowlan Park Kilkenny
    if Waterford vs Dublin or Waterford vs Tipp

So in reality the match could be anywhere??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I would fancy our chances against Tipp or KK should we draw them. As Stevie Molumphey said in commentary, if we were to beat either of them it would give us a massive boost of confidence and going into the QF it's game on then really.

I would fancy our chances against Tipp or KK should we draw them. As Stevie Molumphey said in commentary, if we were to beat either of them it would give us a massive boost of confidence and going into the QF it's game on then really.
    It would give a massive massive boost but its easier said done. Its been a while since we beat any of those 2 in the championship (Tipp in 2008, Kilkenny in 1959 :eek: and its an obsticle we cant get over. One thing is for sure both of those teams will have a plan ready too beat us if were drawn together. Id prob take Kilkenny if i had a choice (Dublin is my first prefrence)
    So in reality the match could be anywhere??
    yeah in reality but not in Croke Park as Coldplay are playing there next saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

Ropaire, do we have the players to go to plan b?we might have one of our greatest crops of players but are they that good that if we get a "run" we will beat top teams. We might, but not always.

Do teams have off days?

Cork are not an inferior team to Waterford.

Waterford players are not slaves.

How would you switch things up, with tactical nous?

When have Waterford become superior to any other county.

And every team we play against will have their own plan!

• Advertisement

Tbh it would be all sorts of dreams come through to knock kk out of championship....to beat them just fukking once

And clare to win munster,assuming galway dispatch wexford in leinster

Giving if im predicting and understanding the rules correctly a potential waterford v wexford quarter finel and tipp v cork double header down in cork as a quarter finel??

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Mulbert wrote: »
    Ropaire, do we have the players to go to plan b?we might have one of our greatest crops of players but are they that good that if we get a "run" we will beat top teams. We might, but not always.
    So youre saying we will always win except when we don't?
    Do teams have off days?
    No, every team always plays brilliant and nothing ever goes wrong. That's why everyone always wins everything, right?
    Cork are not an inferior team to Waterford.
    That explains why we lost to them so, thanks for clearing that up. Why did we bother playing them if they're superior to us?
    Waterford players are not slaves.
    Really? I better call the U.N. and tell them that just in case they were wondering.
    How would you switch things up, with tactical nous?
    No, I'd just pick 15 names out of a hat and let them go out and enjoy their day out. Maybe take a few selfies with them for the laugh. How would you switch things up? Do we need to switch things up?
    When have Waterford become superior to any other county.
    According to half of this forum that automatically happened the second we made McGrath manager.
    And every team we play against will have their own plan!
    No way, for reals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

Ropaire wrote:
    No way, for reals?

For reals.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Fantastic technical assessments in all the previous posts ... In the last ten years I've seen every point made again ,again and again ... Why /how we won , why / how we lost...in my opinion we've been the emerging team in the last 3 years... But somehow cork and Wexford have come from nowhere and are even fancied!!! The discussion about technicalities is over ...we're technically as good as any other county.... The discussion is "cAn yee not just believe in how good you are and go and grab Liam McCarthy by the balls and shake off all that" nearly is good enough ****?" You're good enough just go and ****ing do it...... Don't look up to mullane ,McGrath ,Browne,Dan ...carve your own history 🇫🇮

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

danganabu wrote: »
    When did Colin Fennelly ever produce anything consistently???

Richie can barely walk and was substituted after been held scoreless for the second game in a row.

Past glories are clouding peoples views.
    just like Moran,Brick etc

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    Fantastic technical assessments in all the previous posts ... In the last ten years I've seen every point made again ,again and again ... Why /how we won , why / how we lost...in my opinion we've been the emerging team in the last 3 years... But somehow cork and Wexford have come from nowhere and are even fancied!!! The discussion about technicalities is over ...we're technically as good as any other county.... The discussion is "cAn yee not just believe in how good you are and go and grab Liam McCarthy by the balls and shake off all that" nearly is good enough ****?" You're good enough just go and ****ing do it...... Don't look up to mullane ,McGrath ,Browne,Dan ...carve your own history ����
    UTTER COCK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

I don't think we will beat Tipp. Derek seems afraid to change his approach. A sweeper with the wind against Offaly (cannon fodder now). He will not give a guy a go in training who is doing well. Dublin or Kilkenny could go anyway. Maurice all up on his own with Gleeson a bit away from him and this against a team with two sweepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fowlerDgrowler

thesultan wrote: »
    I don't think we will beat Tipp. Derek seems afraid to change his approach. A sweeper with the wind against Offaly (cannon fodder now). He will not give a guy a go in training who is doing well. Dublin or Kilkenny could go anyway. Maurice all up on his own with Gleeson a bit away from him and this against a team with two sweepers.

Would you not think a sweeper makes sense to play to ensure everyone knows what to do and shape to keep the following week?

this could be BS but ive heard if we draw Tipp we will have too play it in Limerick as all the stewards in Nowlan Park will be gone too the Dublin vs Kilkenny game in Thurles or Port Laoise

Limerick is one place we dont want too go

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Was in Ennis last night and 2 different people I got chatting to said McGrath is being lined up for the Dublin job? No clue where they're getting their info from but that's a bit of a stretch surely!

• Advertisement

Ropaire wrote: »
    Was in Ennis last night and 2 different people I got chatting to said McGrath is being lined up for the Dublin job? No clue where they're getting their info from but that's a bit of a stretch surely!

have heard a few whispers alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Heavily touted in Waterford for the past two weeks.

Heavily touted in Waterford for the past two weeks.

He could be good for them and there lots of €€€ in Dublin GAA. There minor team just lost too Kilkenny by 4 points in the Leinster final and they have upcoming talent in the ranks. There in 1b of the league

If he is too go than our CB have too pull the finger out and get the right men as this will be of the most important managerial appointments ever in Waterford. Please not Fergal Hartley or Peter Quelly. Anyway we will talk about that when the time comes

Would you not think a sweeper makes sense to play to ensure everyone knows what to do and shape to keep the following week?

Considering the way tipp completly and utterly dismantled and bypassed the sweeper in munster finel last year no

Think its height of maddness to repeat same thing over and over and expect different results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Butterflies ahead of the draw tomorrow. Dublin would be the one to get. Then Wexford in the quarter final. Wex showed today that they are limited, not All Ireland contenders. If we got to an AI semi I'd take Cork again before I'd take Galway I don't think we'd get near that Galway team today to be frank about it. They'd clean us out in the air and defensively they're a ferocious unit. best Galway side I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Considering the way tipp completly and utterly dismantled and bypassed the sweeper in munster finel last year no

Think its height of maddness to repeat same thing over and over and expect different results

Our sweeper system will not offer us enough in attack to win games against the best teams. We might have to beat 3 'top' teams to win an AI. At the moment , that does not look likely. We are repeating the same approach over and over again and it is likely that the same pattern will be repeated. When we meet a team again which matches us for work rate/intensity we will struggle as it seems that we need a preponderance of possession to put up decent scores. Moran and Brick are kept in the team as McGrath is worried that there are no other ball-winners to take the ball in when we are under pressure. Clearly one or both deserve to be dropped on form, however it is not a good sign when the manager will not do so - whatever the reasons are. Time for the conservative sweeper system to be dropped, start Forann, Curran and Keating and give them some big game experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

So Tomás Mulcahy thinks we'd have no qualms about playing in Thurles if we draw Tipp. What's everyone else think? Logistically it's the place we'd all prefer but would we want it against Tipp?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Take no prisoners

So Tomás Mulcahy thinks we'd have no qualms about playing in Thurles if we draw Tipp. What's everyone else think? Logistically it's the place we'd all prefer but would we want it against Tipp?

Why does it even have to be a double header. If we draw tipp, play it in nolan park. If kk get dubs, play it in portlaoise. Surprised the Sunday game panel kept mentioning Croke Park when it's been well flagged, and was even commented on by Marty Morrissey in commentary, that's it's not available due to the Coldplay concert.

Mixed opinions on this, players and supporters love Thurles but it would be a hard ask too beat a fired up Tipp team at home. I'd hate too play it in Limerick, Kilkenny or Portloaise would be ok

I reckon we will play either Dublin or Kilkenny in Thurles

Nervous enough about the draw but whoever we get you just have too prepare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

Nervous enough about the draw but whoever we get you just have too prepare

One things for sure, whoever we get you'll think they'll beat us ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Back in March I said (on Boards) that Galway would be involved at the business end this year. At the time, I had Waterford 4th in the "rankings" which, in hindsight, was not pessimistic.

I keep thinking this Waterford team will do better than turns out to be the case, e.g. before the Munster Final last year and most recently, the debacle in Semple Stadium where the team looked like they had met up for the first time ; I just hope that the constipated hurling they played that day is out of their system.

Yesterday was no more than than stretching the legs - it's now make or break time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Why does it even have to be a double header. If we draw tipp, play it in nolan park. If kk get dubs, play it in portlaoise. Surprised the Sunday game panel kept mentioning Croke Park when it's been well flagged, and was even commented on by Marty Morrissey in commentary, that's it's not available due to the Coldplay concert.

I think that was Mags D'Arcy talking out her cake hole, no chance of playing it there irregardles of any concert.

Good looking girl in fairness though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

If we were to draw Dublin, I doubt they'd be willing to come to Thurles as surely they'd know well it's basically a home ground to us. Portlaoise probably the compromise midway point I'd say.

If KK, Thurles.

If Tipp, most obvious choice would be Nowlan park.

Above would also be the order of preference. Dublin the obvious team everyone would be hoping to draw. Not that they'd be any pushovers but would fancy overcoming them (then again the exact same was said before the Cork game...)

KK or Tipp - basically choose between a kick in the face or kick in the balls. Would probably take KK, we've at least come somewhat closer to beating them in championship over the last few years whereas we haven't got close to Tipp. A few of KK's big guns generally a bit out of form this season too but would still be a big ask to come through. Will be filling the togs with nerves come 5.30 today, don't think we expected a potentially huge game this early in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Absolutely NO WAY we should give home advantage to Tipp if we get them. Co Board should reject any notion of this having to be a double header. If its Tipp we get, play them in Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Cake Man wrote: »
    If we were to draw Dublin, I doubt they'd be willing to come to Thurles as surely they'd know well it's basically a home ground to us. Portlaoise probably the compromise midway point I'd say.

If KK, Thurles.

Above would also be the order of preference. Dublin the obvious team everyone would be hoping to draw. Not that they'd be any pushovers but would fancy overcoming them (then again the exact same was said before the Cork game...)

KK or Tipp - basically choose between a kick in the face or kick in the balls. Would probably take KK, we've at least come somewhat closer to beating them in championship over the last few years whereas we haven't got close to Tipp. A few of KK's big guns generally a bit out of form this season too but would still be a big ask to come through. Will be filling the togs with nerves come 5.30 today, don't think we expected a potentially huge game this early in the season.
    You're on Sydney time too I take it? I'll be watching the phone on the commute home. Rarely have I been so anxious about a qualifier draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Cake Man wrote: »

If KK, Thurles.

You're on Sydney time too I take it? I'll be watching the phone on the commute home. Rarely have I been so anxious about a qualifier draw.
    Well that's 3 of us!
    I'll be tuned in to RTE radio 1 in the car on the way home.
    I don't want Tipp, but either Dublin or KK is preferable draw in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Ha I hadn't even noticed I put it down as Sydney time. Yeah it's intriguing as to who we're pitted against, this potentially defines our season. With the cannon fodder gone, the championship now effectively starts this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

What time is it on here?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    What time is it on here?

7.07 pm :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

8:35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KK it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Dublin V Tipp
    KK V Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Double header in thurles I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I'd fancy Waterford to beat Kilkenny

Gavlor wrote: »
    Double header in thurles I reckon

Hopefully and were on second

It's going be a hard game and this is our best chance of beating them but think Cody will pull a cat out of the hat and make up a game plan. He's going too remember what way we played them last year. Going to be an electric atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

And our lads will realise how close they came to beating them with barely anything between them both after two games.
    They won't want to let them get away with it a third time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Think KK will play their football team and still beat us by 15 points.

/PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tomm123

If we don't beat Kilkenny this year lads we are at nothing, it's the poorest Kilkenny team in a long long time. Double Header in Thurles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

**** or bust time !! Glad in a way we got them, it would be great to put them out of the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Bring it on..........**** or bust.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement