Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Waterford by 5

Now or literally never if we're to beat kk,realistically our best chance since 98

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭deiseman17

Buzzing we got the cats! Going to be a great battle in Thurles. Wont rule out KK as they are still a dangerous animal but as aforementioned we have the best opportunity in years to beat them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

3 things inevitable in life: death, taxes and getting knocked out of the championship by KK! :pac:
    Seriously though, if there's ever a good time to face them I think they'd be more beatable in a game like this than an AI semi final or final. Need to pull out all the stops though and everyone to be on form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Really looking forward to this game. Should be a great buzz in thurles next Saturday night with the Munster final on the Sunday. we need to make one or two changes from the Offaly game. After a sluggish start played some good stuff. Dunford and Curran showing management what they can do when they came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Really looking forward to this game. Should be a great buzz in thurles next Saturday night with the Munster final on the Sunday. we need to make one or two changes from the Offaly game. After a sluggish start played some good stuff. Dunford and Curran showing management what they can do when they came on.

3 changes for me.

C gleeson, Maurice and brick out
    St Bennett, dunford and dillon/Curran in.

Need more pace in the forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Massive game next Saturday, we really need to step up to the mark and finally beat Kilkenny. Its knockout hurling now so no excuses, cant wait for it now.

Was likely we would get a tough draw this time, but maybe its best to take on one of the big guns now and find out where we are really at. I'd imagine some of the older KK players would fancy a 2 week break after the battle with Limerick on Saturday so we need to take whatever advantage we can and get our season back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

We'll surely be on the 7pm television spot at least. Think Sky will have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

dub v tipp 5pm and wat v kk 7pm -Semple stadium??

the munster final is on the next day at thurlas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

HillFarmer wrote: »
    **** or bust time !! Glad in a way we got them, it would be great to put them out of the championship

...rather than aim for and win the All Ireland which is what the top teams actually do :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

road_high wrote: »
    ...rather than aim for and win the All Ireland which is what the top teams actually do :cool:

On the contrary, I would say the 'top teams' would not be looking beyond qualifier game with Kilkenny. That's more the 'top team' mentality I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

With all due respect to KK, I'm sure even the most ardent KK supporter would concede that this is probably Waterford's best chance to beat them.

It's all or nothing now and there's no more excuses. Would like to see some changes as even allowing for poor quality of Offaly, the injection of pace into the team really improved the style of hurling. We should definitely be looking at Dunford or Curran starting and bringing Stephen Bennett back in.

Thought Shane Fives was poor again at weekend and his place could be under threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

With all due respect to KK, I'm sure even the most ardent KK supporter would concede that this is probably Waterford's best chance to beat them.

It's all or nothing now and there's no more excuses. Would like to see some changes as even allowing for poor quality of Offaly, the injection of pace into the team really improved the style of hurling. We should definitely be looking at Dunford or Curran starting and bringing Stephen Bennett back in.

Thought Shane Fives was poor again at weekend and his place could be under threat.

Absolutely, Kilkenny couldn't be in a worse position to be beaten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Cake Man wrote: »
    We'll surely be on the 7pm television spot at least. Think Sky will have it.
    Early throw-in might suit us Sydney-siders though... 2am is more do-able than 4am, but so be it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Waterford by 5

Now or literally never if we're to beat kk,realistically our best chance since 98

And how did it work out for us in 98?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

No one's place is under threat from 1-9.

• Advertisement

Double header in thurles confirmed according to tipp thread. Our game at 7

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

KevIRL wrote: »
    Double header in thurles confirmed according to tipp thread. Our game at 7

Confirmed on the Waterford GAA twitter page too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

double header is best for business

I fear
    Kilkenny have a performance left in them and they will unleash it next sat
    There star players are underperforming and will want to get it right
    Brian Cody is a smart tatictian and will have a plan for us and will be aware of the way we played in the semi finals last year

Waterford
    Pressure could get too us and we could freezre
    The predicable tactics and approach
    the fact is that the starting 15 will be same as the last 2 previous days
    Kilkenny are that obsticle we cant get over and could be Mcgraths Downfall

looking forward too the game and it would be huge huge win for us but sadly cant see it as i think Kilkenny have our number no matter what form there in

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

3 changes for me.

C gleeson, Maurice and brick out
    St Bennett, dunford and dillon/Curran in.

Need more pace in the forwards

So who plays in the backs instead of Gleeson if you're bringing in 3 forwards?? Gleeson has been one of the best of the back line all year as Fives struggled in the last 2 games and Connors got a roasting against Cork and Coughlan gives away 4 scorable frees and booked in most matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

PTH2009 wrote: »
    double header is best for business

I fear
    Kilkenny have a performance left in them and they will unleash it next sat
    There star players are underperforming and will want to get it right
    Brian Cody is a smart tatictian and will have a plan for us and will be aware of the way we played in the semi finals last year

Waterford
    Pressure could get too us and we could freezre
    The predicable tactics and approach
    the fact is that the starting 15 will be same as the last 2 previous days
    Kilkenny are that obsticle we cant get over and could be Mcgraths Downfall

looking forward too the game and it would be huge huge win for us but sadly cant see it as i think Kilkenny have our number no matter what form there in

I just love your positive outlook on life man, you really are a breath of fresh air :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

I presume it's unreserved seating again so everyone will be in early. Horse and Jockey road in will be jammers.

I presume it's unreserved seating again so everyone will be in early. Horse and Jockey road in will be jammers.

No, designated seating for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

Kk are very very poor this year and yes this is waterfords best chance of beating kk. If McGrath can't beat this KK side, it's time to find a new manager.

This is watefords best chance to win an all-Ireland in a long time, both Tipp and Kk going badly, cork are average and the favourites are Galwayand Waterford have a very good side. Time for the Waterford boys to step up and take their chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

No, designated seating for this one

Will clubs get tickets at this short notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Dionysis wrote: »
    Kk are very very poor this year and yes this is waterfords best chance of beating kk. If McGrath can't beat this KK side, it's time to find a new manager.

This is watefords best chance to win an all-Ireland in a long time, both Tipp and Kk going badly, cork are average and the favourites are Galwayand Waterford have a very good side. Time for the Waterford boys to step up and take their chance.
    Cork are average , that was last year not this year.

Tickets now online

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Dilusional

Dilusional

dilusional? Ya must'nt watch much hurling. The All-Ireland is there for the taking. The least worst team will win it. Kk have not been as bad since 1996, Offaly beat them in the rain by double digits, and its the worse kk team ever under Cody.

Cork are average, and that's all they are. Waterford were useless against them in the Munster semi and still could have won it if the only played the Ball into the full forward line. Standard of hurling this year has dropped immensely, the same as in 2013. Waterford that played against Kk last year would hammer this years Kk, Cork and Tipp teams. Galway have their tails up, but Waterford have the hoodoo over Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

dilusional? Ya must'nt watch much hurling. The All-Ireland is there for the taking. The least worst team will win it. Kk have not been as bad since 1996, Offaly beat them in the rain by double digits, and its the worse kk team ever under Cody.

Cork are average, and that's all they are. Waterford were useless against them in the Munster semi and still could have won it if the only played the Ball into the full forward line. Standard of hurling this year has dropped immensely, the same as in 2013. Waterford that played against Kk last year would hammer this years Kk, Cork and Tipp teams. Galway have their tails up, but Waterford have the hoodoo over Galway.
    wow!.. i watch a load of hurling ,cork are average you say,but they beat the bollix out of us twice this year,"Waterford that played against Kk last year would hammer this years Kk, Cork and Tipp teams" cant believe you actually sat down and typed that ****e ."hoodoo ,thats laughable ,i usually dont engage with complete and utter ****e ,but this is a new to me ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Just looking for some advice on when to buy tickets. Having a look now and the seats available aren't great.

Should I hold off and wait, or will this sell out quickly?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

wow!.. i watch a load of hurling ,cork are average you say,but they beat the bollix out of us twice this year,"Waterford that played against Kk last year would hammer this years Kk, Cork and Tipp teams" cant believe you actually sat down and typed that ****e ."hoodoo ,thats laughable ,i usually dont engage with complete and utter ****e ,but this is a new to me ,

You haven't a clue about the game if ya think that Cork are good. There far from it, and they'd admit it. They beat a Tipp team that got 20+ Scores against them and are playing terrible. Your talking some drivel..... when was the last time that Galway beat waterford? If waterford can't win it this year they should give it up.

I usually don't engage..... you have an opinion and that has to be respected, but you are an ignorant a****le, and on that I'd say there's no doubt. It's best to respond to you the way you talk to others.

Ropaire wrote: »
    No one's place is under threat from 1-9.

To be fair a game like this is not the time to be ringing the changes. I'm a huge fan of Shane and he has arguably been a consistent 7 out of 10 in every game for the last two seasons but he has been poor in two games running. Conor Gleeson could possibly do a job in there though it's certainly not his best position.

Expecting following team to line out, though not the team I would pick;

SOK
    Shane Fives, Coughlan, Connors
    Conor Gleeson, De Búrca, Philip Mahony
    Darragh Fives
    Barron, Moran
    Pauric Mahony, Aussie, Brick
    Shane Bennett, Shanahan

Based on Offaly game we are only going with two men in inside line with Darragh Fives operating in or around centre back/midfield.

The KK back line is unsettled at best and susceptible to pace and direct running which is something we are well capable of but don't do enough. Would love to see Dunford or Curran starting but expect we will start with Hail Mary long balls to Maurice unless Derek has had an epiphany.

This is a fantastic chance to finally lay the KK hoodoo to rest but like many others I'm not sure if Derek can overcome his inner negativity and pick a team to go and take the game to KK. I really hope I am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fowlerDgrowler

Considering the way tipp completly and utterly dismantled and bypassed the sweeper in munster finel last year no

Think its height of maddness to repeat same thing over and over and expect different results

The sweeper is used my most teams, it counteracts the roaming centre forward tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Pity it's on in Thurles, you can end up with some awful seats there with a pole stuck in your face. That's the great thing about Croke Park, there's no bad seats there. Its a pity that its only used for 4 hurling games a year. I know Cork is a pain for parking and to get out of but it might not be the worst thing if they start playing more games there instead of Thurles as at least it will be a proper ground with modern facilities. Semple really is a kip when you think about it. Row numbers painted on the steps which causes utter confusion for every game there and the toilets there are disgustingly filthy too. I'm pretty sure they just don't bother cleaning them between games. It's really not good enough for the money they charge for games there.

I'm feeling very confident that we will beat Kilkenny this time provided that Derek doesn't try to come up with some stupid defensive masterplan. If we can't beat that Kilkenny team we have no right to be in the latter stages of the championship anyway. They are very average this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Even though Derek has 2 more years left in his contract I think he will call it a day if were beaten by Kilkenny this weekend

The whole of Waterford will go nuts if we win but it's still only a round 2 qualifier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

If McGrath can't beat this KK side, it's time to find a new manager.

This just about sums up the mentality in thread

When you hav e the better team, you must win, as they will be plenty times when you wont have the better team and winning will be by chance. This Waterford team are streets ahead of KK, and it's the manager that's holding them back, and moving cautiously for some reason. Waterford may not have progressed much from last year, but KK have gone massively backwards. Waterford are now the standout better team. 15 marking 15, and Waterford should and will win. It's down to McGrath now, KK will not be as bad next year. So yes, if he can't win now, he's gone as far as he can with this team and should leave someone else come in to go the last 5% to 10%. Since 1959, Waterford have never been this much better than KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

How did Maurice play v Offaly?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    How did Maurice play v Offaly?

There were high balls blasted in on top of him where he was totally outnumbered for first 20 mins with which he could do little in fairness. He showed a bit better once we started picking out men and clipped over a couple of scores but if I was in charge I wouldn't start him v KK though I have no doubt Derek will. He suits Derek's hit and hope approach as he is a decent target man but watching the way we played with the younger players was hopefully a glimpse into the future, albeit that the opposition was extremely weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

You haven't a clue about the game if ya think that Cork are good. There far from it, and they'd admit it. They beat a Tipp team that got 20+ Scores against them and are playing terrible. Your talking some drivel..... when was the last time that Galway beat waterford? If waterford can't win it this year they should give it up.

I usually don't engage..... you have an opinion and that has to be respected, but you are an ignorant a****le, and on that I'd say there's no doubt. It's best to respond to you the way you talk to others.
    How are you talking up Waterford to win an all Ireland when their form is poor. Very poor against Cork and Offaly are nearly at Christy Ring stage. Until we beat one of the big two (Kilkenny and Tipp) we can't be regarded as All Ireland contenders. Saturday night could be the occasion. On form at the moment Cork are the second best team in the country after Galway...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tomm123

This is the worst Kilkenny team since 1996. I expect nothing less than a win here from Waterford, Even if we do win we still wont win anything under McGrath. Were not making any progress and there is atleast 4 teams that have a better chance of winning the All Ireland this year, Namely Galway Cork Tipp & Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

And what have ye beaten in the last few years to think this is yeer best chance to win an all Ireland??
    Ye were beaten out the gate in last years Munster final and couldn't beat Kk when given every opportunity
    This year collapsed against Galway and the average [your words] Cork team beat ye in 3rd gear.
    Ye have to improve a lot to get to the final let alone win it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

thesultan wrote: »
    On form at the moment Cork are the second best team in the country after Galway...

This is thing I don't get. How are Cork only second best on form? They have beaten two championship contenders; Galway have beaten none. People are getting carried away with Galway as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

I'm surprised at the level of optimism here regarding Waterford's chances on Saturday. Tradition plays a significant role in the outcome of hurling matches due to the narrow field of contenders. This morning KK could have drawn Tipp, Dublin or W'ford. Tipp and Dublin have had more championship success against KK than Waterford in recent times. We have to go back 58 years for a win. Our biggest hurdle Is the black and amber jersey and KK know that. We probably need to be 10 pts better to win by a point. Not sure we have the confidence needed to get a win. I hope I am wrong.

Robson99 wrote: »
    And what have ye beaten in the last few years to think this is yeer best chance to win an all Ireland??
    Ye were beaten out the gate in last years Munster final and couldn't beat Kk when given every opportunity
    This year collapsed against Galway and the average [your words] Cork team beat ye in 3rd gear.
    Ye have to improve a lot to get to the final let alone win it

Dionysis is a KK man giving his point of view on Waterford. I suspect he got the memo from Cody to play up Waterfords chances and play down KKs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

I'm surprised at the level of optimism here regarding Waterford's chances on Saturday. Tradition plays a significant role in the outcome of hurling matches due to the narrow field of contenders. This morning KK could have drawn Tipp, Dublin or W'ford. Tipp and Dublin have had more championship success against KK than Waterford in recent times. We have to go back 58 years for a win. Our biggest hurdle Is the black and amber jersey and KK know that. We probably need to be 10 pts better to win by a point. Not sure we have the confidence needed to get a win. I hope I am wrong.
    I share your caution.  KK must be relieved to have avoided Tipp. 
    Waterford can win, if they raise their game ; they should be fresher than KK, having not really turned up against Cork, followed by a stroll in the park against Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I think Waterford will win on Saturday night, it's a fantastic opportunity for all of the players and one which I would hope they can raise their game. After what happened last August I'm sure they'll be itching to get the ball thrown in. The fear factor with Kilkenny has gone with teams like Wexford and totally disappeared with Tipperary so it's time for Waterford to get a win on the board.

My only concern ahead of Saturday (apart from McGrath) is the physical battle that lies ahead. Kilkenny have had two bruisers so far while Waterford against Cork was a mismatch in every department. Brick and Moran both got dropped with heavy shoulders but they were the only two examples of physicality in the match - Offaly was a non event and was a glorified training session. I fear that Waterford could be caught cold when the hits start flying. That being said, I think that if Gleeson starts well then it will set the tone for the rest of the game. It will go back to past years where teams had to live with Kilkenny on the scoreboard in the first 20 minutes but I think on Saturday evening it will be a case of Waterford trying to live with the hits, if we can match them physically early on then I think we'll win. It will be a tough ask though and I'm sure there will be some very sore bodies Sunday morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Motivator wrote: »
    My only concern ahead of Saturday (apart from McGrath) is the physical battle that lies ahead. Kilkenny have had two bruisers so far while Waterford against Cork was a mismatch in every department. Brick and Moran both got dropped with heavy shoulders but they were the only two examples of physicality in the match - Offaly was a non event and was a glorified training session. I fear that Waterford could be caught cold when the hits start flying. That being said, I think that if Gleeson starts well then it will set the tone for the rest of the game. It will go back to past years where teams had to live with Kilkenny on the scoreboard in the first 20 minutes but I think on Saturday evening it will be a case of Waterford trying to live with the hits, if we can match them physically early on then I think we'll win. It will be a tough ask though and I'm sure there will be some very sore bodies Sunday morning!

I don't think physicality should be a concern for Waterford to be honest. It's more of a worry for Kilkenny at the moment. We are not the physical, super strong team that was able to bully everyone like we used to be. We've regressed quite a lot even from the semi-final matches in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

As a Kilkenny man this is a pure 50/50 game as it stands and I feel the limerick match will bring us on a mile as there was 5/6 brilliant individual performances against them and it should bring on a few more.

Kilkenny wining really depends on our quality of ball into the forwards which has been terrible up to now and the lack of movement in the forwards too! if we don't do this then its anyone's game and Waterford should win..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

When you hav e the better team, you must win, as they will be plenty times when you wont have the better team and winning will be by chance. This Waterford team are streets ahead of KK.

And therein lies the problem with Waterford, please don't shoot the messenger, an over inflated perception of their teams ability and that is why McGrath gets do much crap from within, it has nothing to do with the tactics, which i admit I find tedious.

Where is the proof that Waterford are streets ahead of KK, is this based on an U21 team? Laughable to be honest.

ps I actually think Waterford will win on Saturday but some of the hyperbole over this teams talent is wearing a little thin.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement