Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Deiseland wrote: »
    Why wat was wrong with management team

They seemed unable to do anything to stem kk in last quarter of ordinary time??

Its not in conceivable if ordinary time lasted 5 mins longer,that kk would have eeked out a win

Took jamie barron grabbing the initative (spelling??) at start of extra time to set waterford onto winning

And a huge amount of naivity of kk backs for shanahans goal(took v.well btw) think it was 5 backs jumpes with 2 forwards....if 1 of those stood off for the breaking ball....would it have been a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Here lads. First win over KK in 58 years. Quit the moaning and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Congrats to ye lads, stayed on after the 1st game and was surrounded by Waterford fans
    Really meant a lot to them to finally get one back over Kilkenny, long overdue
    May see ye later in the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Lads I know we've only got to the QF. But F@%# me what feeling. If they we played like that in every game we'd take beating. Hon the Deise. Short summer in kilkenny this year 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 46 siobhan1983

Anyone know when the match will be repeated or streamed anywhere? Dying to watch it again!! Fantastic win tonight even if it did give us a heart attack in the middle of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

And a huge amount of naivity of kk backs for shanahans goal(took v.well btw) think it was 5 backs jumpes with 2 forwards....if 1 of those stood off for the breaking ball....would it have been a goal

It was a goal though. If we had made zero mistakes and played a perfect game I think we could have kept a clean sheet tonight.

But we won anyway, enjoy it will ye. There's at least two weeks to whinge and complain after tonight!

Not to be too pessimistic though. ....perform like that vs cork,clare or wexford and we won't win....big improvements needed for 2 weeks time

Is that not very pessimistic though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Mulbert wrote: »

Id call it realistic??

Ya,its great to win,espially a game they made hard work of.

But watch the munster final tomorrw and rewatch the match tonight and tell me then,if you think going asleep for long periods of the game will be good enough vs cork or clare

They are there on merit,but no point in letting beating a kk team in massive decline go to their head and we all sitting here in two weeks,wondering whats gone wrong.....going around in circles argueing about mcgrath and systems etc

Go out and score 4-20 or whatever the next day and we can realistically start to dream of winning all irelands...of the 6 teams left.....waterford would probably be ranked 5th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

it is but it is probably right , waterford were home and hosed with 10 minutes left , ye have serious talent lads but something that has been argued for years on this thread of no real direction , game plan and finishing games is still haunting ye

Gleason will get huge plaudits for a great game tonight , but what system is he playing , it worked tonight is it going to work the next day ,

who is the teams free take rand in what order ? too much reliance on noel connors at the back? , kevin moran (best player in the country without an all star) is it time to cut his game time ,

you dont wnt to be in mid championship with so many questions need answering

i dont think ye should panic just yet lads the team is young , but direction is something i see missing at the moment from the outside looking in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Delighted with the ET effort. We basically just reverted to how we had been playing for 50 mins of normal time and were comfortably the better team. In fairness Kilkenny were out on their feet from the effort of hauling themselves back.

While we made a mess of last 15 mins it took huge mental resolve to get back out there and put things right for which everyone deserves great credit. The players should take huge confidence from it and hopefully management will learn from mistakes made, albeit that we basically replicated last year's mistakes.

Great effort from all involved but De Búrca, Barron and Aussie were sensational. I was surprised by some of KK selections, particularly Lennon who had a torrid time and Farrell who was anonymous. Pádraig Walsh is not and never will be a full back.

Looking forward to not having to travel for next game, hopefully in Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Bed time in a happy place listening to the wlr replay of the match. A good day, more challenges to come

A win like this will give this team a hugh boost, what ever about croke park hoodoos or semi final hoodoos, they were mainly Kilkenny hoodoos and at least that will cease for a while now.

One small observation. It was good for us that no one was allowed on to the pitch after the match, as they try to preserve it for tomorrow's Munster final. Celebrations would have been understandable better not to have the sight of people going nuts on the pitch for what is ultimately only a qualifier win

A win like this will give this team a hugh boost, what ever about croke park hoodoos or semi final hoodoos, they were mainly Kilkenny hoodoos and at least that will cease for a while now.

Perhaps overcome our tipp hoodoo of recent years in the AI final? We can be allowed a dream tonight surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

PTH2009 wrote: »

to be fair its deserved , think of the effort for example in 2013 , players deserve a good weekend after a game like that tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I was unnervingly confident before extra-time. Waterford staged a similar comeback in 2013 and there was nothing left in the tank for 20 more minutes. Surely the same would apply here? And so we had something even less frequent than Championship wins over the Cats - I was right. Oh what a night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

The full match is already on youtube

Guys fair play on the win but how in gods name did ye manage a draw in normal time of that game? They were dead and buried and absolutely rudderless? Ye really should have went for the throat after the second goal and put it to bed. If say Justin McCarthys team met that particular Kilkenny team tonight they would have went for the kill and beat them handsomely.

This mindset your manager has is holding a very talented group of youngsters back. This is great from a Tipperary perspective.
    Waterford need to take inspiration from how our footballers approach the game. abandon, no fear, and enjoyment. belief in our system of playing.

There is real green shoots there though. Jamie Barron and Tadhg De Burca were fantastic tonight. Heroic performances. Young Bennett was absolutely brilliant the way he played the lone piper role for alot of that match. But honestly, a lad like this needs to be a part of a system that gets the best out of his potential and not limits him to this dredgery? i dont mean to be negative, i just really believe that ye were far better then Kilkenny tonight and should have closed this game out easily. When Kilkenny managed to draw that game i honestly thought ye must have had that Mayo priest stationed in Waterford somewhere at some point :P

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/OU5T-N5gcsc

Here we go, have too have a few cans watching

• Registered Users Posts: 2 conahycat

Kilkenny had a fantastic never say die attitude. I thought we were dead and buried with 20 minutes to go, yet the end of the normal game time was thrilling and im so proud of the team to fight back as they did. Im proud of them today and over the last 20 years! Look, the better team won on the day today and congrats to Waterford. We can have no complaints. It would have been smash and grab robbery had we managed to pull it off.

Jamie Barron is unreal. What a hurler. I have the utmost respect for him.

Good luck to Waterford going forward - my support is with ye i have to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

citykat wrote: »
    Congrats to the Deise. Better team won. It's been a long time coming. Hope ye can go all the way now.

Fairplay, KK players died with their boots on to be fair.

Fairplay, KK players died with their boots on to be fair.

I really admire their spirit to be honest but Waterford went into a shell and didnt score the last thirteen minutes. Cant get over the limitations KK have though considering they made the game look so simple for years. They'll come again though

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

A huge victory mentally for the team. We did everything in our power to throw it away having been 10 points the better team for 60 mins. Barron was a colossus again,his consistency is amazing and it's a continuation of where he left off last year.Aussie seems to be hitting form at the right time aswell which is a great thing to see. Kilkenny are a pale shadow of what they once were but it's great to have finally witnessed the curse being finally buried! No easy games left from here on in, but we can look forward to the draw on Monday morning and hopefully another shot at Wexford might come to be!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

who is the teams free take rand in what order ? too much reliance on noel connors at the back? , kevin moran (best player in the country without an all star) is it time to cut his game time ,

you dont wnt to be in mid championship with so many questions need answering

i dont think ye should panic just yet lads the team is young , but direction is something i see missing at the moment from the outside looking in

In fairness that's a load of nonsense.

Free taker is Mahoney without question. He went off injured last night.

Hardly over dependant on Noel when our most influential back is Tadgh de Burca (because of the "system")

System: everyone plays with a sweeper we just seek to drop our half line deeper than most.

Moran: depends on the pace of the game and the style of opposition. Today's game suited him the fast running of cork didn't.

You made one valid point though that the team really need to learn how to close a game out and finish teams off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I think people need to acknowledge what Derek McGrath has done last night.

I've been following Waterford since 2002 and in that time we have put 150% into some games against kilkenny and still ended up on the wrong side.

That man has undone 60 years of bad history. People can say that it is not the same outstanding kilkenny team of a few years ago but that has not stopped them in the past when arguably better Waterford teams have been put to the sword.

It wasn't pretty at all and not good for the nerves but McGrath needs to be applauded for what he did last night.

There'll be no fear of the black and amber for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Who will Waterford be drawn to play next?

Also lads it has to be noted that Curran is just not performing at Senior level. People are crying out for him to start but he hasn't lit the scene up yet. He's young and will come good eventually.

Also, the brick was immense and I think people owe him a personal apology for ever doubting the man! Dillon was good and Moran made a good account of himself too. People were losing their minds about the team selection but the right calls were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

A great night - special mention to Jake Dillon - delighted for the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

To be fair to Curran he chipped in with one or two good scores at vital times last night, although yes I think he left one or two drop short to Eoin Murphy. What I love about him is when he gets the ball anywhere near goal, he has one thing on his mind. He got a ball in the corner last night and ran towards goal down the end line, tried to one hand bat it at goal but was bottled up by 2 kk defenders. On another day he could've been given a penalty as it looked like he could've been fouled as he tried to get the strike away. IIRC, think commentary said it prob should've been given. He's still young too and will come good.

Still buzzing, looking back I really think that extra 20mins of ET isn't such a bad thing. It's 20mins extra championship experience in a pressure cooker situation especially for the younger lads and that should bring them all on. Also we prob played our best hurling of the game in the second period of ET. Only way it would've been detrimental is if we had to play again next weekend so we've at least a few weeks to prepare.

• Advertisement

JesusRef wrote: »
    A great night - special mention to Jake Dillon - delighted for the man

He's got some flak on here so he has

Cake Man wrote: »
    To be fair to Curran he chipped in with one or two good scores at vital times last night, although yes I think he left one or two drop short to Eoin Murphy. What I love about him is when he gets the ball anywhere near goal, he has one thing on his mind. He got a ball in the corner last night and ran towards goal down the end line, tried to one hand bat it at goal but was bottled up by 2 kk defenders. On another day he could've been given a penalty as it looked like he could've been fouled as he tried to get the strike away. IIRC, think commentary said it prob should've been given. He's still young too and will come good.

Still buzzing, looking back I really think that extra 20mins of ET isn't such a bad thing. It's 20mins extra championship experience in a pressure cooker situation especially for the younger lads and that should bring them all on. Also we prob played our best hurling of the game in the second period of ET. Only way it would've been detrimental is if we had to play again next weekend so we've at least a few weeks to prepare.

That extra 20 minutes is huge for them and the psychological boost of beating Kilkenny, hopefully they can drive on now!!

Curran only scored one point but I do like he way he goes for goal, maybe the set up is to blame. and it looked like a free for me!

Hard to pick between Barron and De Burca for man of the match, I'd probably just give it to Barron for his first half of extra time exhibition. We needed a someone to take the game to Kilkenny and Barron stood up.

Also, i think Shane Bennett is out of this world. I feel things haven't clicked for him 100% but I have a feeling this guy could be one of the best forwards we have ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Those of you who were previously very critical of young Shane Bennett can hang your heads in shame.

I know they shouldn't have blown the lead but for the moment, savour the victory.

Didn't have a good view of the KK 2nd goal but by all accounts, it should have been a free out ! Did have a good view of the KK penalty ; Hogan went down very easily (will look at that later).

Delighted for Maurice with his extra time contribution, after missing the last gasp free to win the match. While it was nerve wracking, better to have played extra time and blown KK away (otherwise, it would have been said that Waterford were poxed to stumble over the line in normal time).

Those of you who were previously very critical of young Shane Bennett can hang your heads in shame.

I know they shouldn't have blown the lead but for the moment, savour the victory.

Didn't have a good view of the KK 2nd goal but by all accounts, it should have been a free out ! Did have a good view of the KK penalty ; Hogan went down very easily (will look at that later).

Delighted for Maurice with his extra time contribution, after missing the last gasp free to win the match. While it was nerve wracking, better to have played extra time and blown KK away (otherwise, it would have been said that Waterford were poxed to stumble over the line in normal time).

And critical of the brick, and Dillon, and Moran, and McGrath!!

Great feeling waking up dis morning I can only imagine how happy the players and management feel. If we had of lost I think it would of killed everyone mentally going into the future and some fans might not be able too take it anymore. You have too hand it too Kilkenny they never have up and with a stroke of luck could of won the game in normal time. It's going too feel odd for them all too be finished this early in the summer

Anyone see John Mullane jumping around in celebration outside the stadium ??

Not sure who we want too win today's Munster final. There's a strong possibility of a rematch with Cork in the New Pairc. Davys Wexford and Clare will deff be no pushovers. Be good too see the new stadium in Cork but traffic around the area is going too be chaotic with 4 county's travelling

Hopefully a huge crowd turn up Thursday night for the under 21s vs Cork. What's the possible starting 15

Did someone say the whole game is on youtube and if so do they have a link?

Did someone say the whole game is on youtube and if so do they have a link?

https://youtu.be/OU5T-N5gcsc

Anywhere to watch the first half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Great feeling waking up dis morning I can only imagine how happy the players and management feel. If we had of lost I think it would of killed everyone mentally going into the future and some fans might not be able too take it anymore. You have too hand it too Kilkenny they never have up and with a stroke of luck could of won the game in normal time. It's going too feel odd for them all too be finished this early in the summer

Not sure who we want too win today's Munster final. There's a strong possibility of a rematch with Cork in the New Pairc. Davys Wexford and Clare will deff be no pushovers. Be good too see the new stadium in Cork but traffic around the area is going too be chaotic with 4 county's travelling

Hopefully a huge crowd turn up Thursday night for the under 21s vs Cork. What's the possible starting 15

Good post mate. Delighted you enjoyed that I know you are a true Waterfordian. I had a go at you for being negative before the game yesterday. I apologise. I was just so nervous myself I couldn't stomach the thought of another championship exit to the wasps. Onwards and upwards. Deise Abu.

robopaddy2 wrote: »

Good post mate. Delighted you enjoyed that I know you are a true Waterfordian. I had a go at you for being negative before the game yesterday. I apologise. I was just so nervous myself I couldn't stomach the thought of another championship exit to the wasps. Onwards and upwards. Deise Abu.
    I was in pure desperation during the last 10 minutes of normal time.

• Advertisement

Deiseen wrote: »

Absolute desolation at the end of normal time. Pure elation thereafter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

I would just like to say thanks to Derek McGrath and his squad for giving us a day to remember yesterday. Derek has shipped an awful lot of unwarranted and nasty rhetoric from many on this forum and elsewhere.

Also, the constant name calling of Jake Dillion as Derek's pet and that there was favouritism being shown by the manager because of the De La Salle connection was simply disgusting. Jake was super yesterday.

The other target, Barry Coughlan, was his usual brilliant self again and as I stated here before, he is the best full back in the country.

Derek got all of his calls right and the knockers now need to have a long hard look at themselves, for a change............

Deiseen wrote: »

Ye weren't the only people, it was heart breaking and brought back memories of darker days against Kilkenny (Croke Park 2016). The Kilkenny crowd were smiling at the end of normal and thought they had it. I Was in section 206 a few very vocal Kilkenny fans around us and the amount of abuse Dan got off them was horrendous

I'm praying the QF will be on Sunday 23rd and not the sat (22nd) as I'm heading too u2 in Croke Park. Almost sure it's a double header in PUC on the Sunday. Tickets may be hard too source if Cork are involved

Talk is that if cork involved the QF will be split over 2 days.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Talk is that if cork involved the QF will be split over 2 days.

Christ

If it's Waterford vs Wexford and Cork vs Tipp I imagine we will be the Saturday and they will be the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I would just like to say thanks to Derek McGrath and his squad for giving us a day to remember yesterday. Derek has shipped an awful lot of unwarranted and nasty rhetoric from many on this forum and elsewhere.

Also, the constant name calling of Jake Dillion as Derek's pet and that there was favouritism being shown by the manager because of the De La Salle connection was simply disgusting. Jake was super yesterday.

The other target, Barry Coughlan, was his usual brilliant self again and as I stated here before, he is the best full back in the country.

Derek got all of his calls right and the knockers now need to have a long hard look at themselves, for a change............

Derek hasn't learned, we fell over the line into extra time and our subs won us the game. No player within 60 yards of kilkenny goal at times and a horrendous amount of wides and shots falling short is still a huge worry that needs to be addressed. Delighted to beat Kilkenny and congrats to the man on doing so, but the same problems that have been there for 3 years are still killing us making us 10 points worse than we are. If we are to drive on and win an all ireland changes to address these shortcomings still have to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Great win last night and finally the mental block is gone about KK. They nearly threw it away again by withdrawing in the last 10 minutes as they tried to hang on and the goal shouldn't have been given for KK - clear barging.

But they really picked it up in ET and got two cracking goals and defended well. It was the first time this year in the Championship that they threw off the shackles and their fitness was impressive. KK had a few down with cramp in ET. Who do we get in the draw is another day's work but if I had a choice, Wexford would be it.

I'm sure the hype will kick off now but great and all as last night was, watching it with a critical eye, KK were poor (should have beaten them both times last year) and it was a poor match at times but very entertaining. Nothing has been won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

As a Kilkenny person with no ties to Waterford i want to extend heartiest congrats to all genuine Waterford fans.

I've had huge admiration for Derek mcgrath and what he has done with this group over past 4 years. This group of players have bought in outstandingly towards Derek.

Could never ever comprehend the harsh negativity towards Derek and his management. Some very insulting comments about him over past 7 months have been mind boggling to read as a Kilkenny person.

Not getting into a debate about sweepers, systems etc etc. (just one comment about Kilkenny and the "all out attack" they apparently play, first 4 balls that went into Johnjoe Farrell last night he was totally and completely isolated on his own.

Just think alot of Waterford people might just not realise what they have in Derek mcgrath until they've lost it....!! A great manager that has genuinely turned Waterford into all Ireland contenders.

Ye have a great, genuine hurling man that has that group buying in massively. Plenty of ups and downs but that's part of sport and the journey. He makes plenty of mistakes but so does Brian Cody and every other manager. Nobody is perfect.

Enjoy the victory and support your manager.

Hope ye push on and win liam McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Liam Cahill

Continued from

Welcome to the Waterford GAA discussion thread.

This is consistently the most active thread don the GAA forum. As a result, discussion can get quite heated. But there are certain things posters must realise are simply not OK to post:

- Personal abuse of anyone be they other posters, players, managers, referees, pundits etc. Any personal abuse will result in an infraction or a ban.

- Rumours about players'/managers'/anyone's personal lives. This should be self explanatory. Apart from being a dickish thing to do, it can lead to legal trouble for Boards.

- Trolling. Again, self explanatory. Trolls will be banned for a long time.

- Accusations of trolling. Report a post if you suspect it to be trolling. Do not call a troll out on thread as this will be considered back seat modding.

- Speculation into the identity of another poster. This is a site-bannable offence.

This list is not exhaustive. Either myself or another mod may add to this as we see fit. Just because a certain behaviour isn't listed, doesn't mean you can't be banned for it.
    The general Boards.ie rule of Don't be a Dick always applies.

If you feel a post breaks the rules, simply click this underneath the post in question to report the post and a mod will deal with it as they see fit.

So be civil to each other and happy posting.

***EDIT (20/11/2015): Quite frankly I'm getting a bit sick of the thread regularly descending into tit for tat insults between posters. From now on, it won't be a card but a ban straight away for anything like this. The mod warning is clear in the first post but yet people still ignore it.
    Also, I'd like to remind people of the ban on discussing players'/managers'/officials' private lives without any substance. You can be getting into libelous territory there. So a zero tolerance policy will be enforced as well.

Just like the old days on AFR... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Just like the old days on AFR... :)

Feel free to relaunch if you're getting sentimental ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement