Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

well done Waherfur ! out and out Rebel here but married to a Deise woman, a wee bit suicidal at times and took longer than is should but a great win.... Cork all the way for me but I do have ye as a back-up

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Good win last night, great to shake that monkey off our back. Some big performances from boys that were under a bit of pressure going in to the game (or at least on here they were anyway).
    Brick, Moran, Shane Bennett, Shane Fives all having much improved outings from the Cork game.
    Interesting that of the subs to make impacts it was really Maurice, Tommy Ryan, O'Halloran who had impacts. Stephen Bennett although doing well to win the free at the end couldn't have the same impact as his brother when introduced for him. Patrick Curran received a good period of time on the field and overall I was a little disappointed by his contribution. He spent a lot of time on his knees, seemed to give up rather easily a few times rather than harrying as Shane Bennett and Jake Dillon had been doing. Felt he was fouled when going through on goal however.
    Jake Dillon was very effective in the first half. Faded in the second but made a big contribution none the less.
    I wonder have Ryan and O'Halloran pushed ahead of Curran and Stephen Bennett in the pecking order after their cameos?

Disappointed to see no coverage whatsoever of the Waterford Ladies Footballers Munster final loss to Kerry yesterday. How many here even knew this game was on?
    Waterford lost by 2 but were incredibly unlucky, Maria Delahunty rattling the Kerry crossbar twice in the second half. Some dubious decisions against the Deise in the second half didn't aid their cause.
    While Waterford still remain in the hunt for an AI it seems a strange system whereby Waterford beat both Cork and Kerry and had to face one of them again in the final. These earlier victories were viewed as surprising so yesterday would have been a very special victory for the Ladies, unfortunately Lady Luck wasn't in their favour but they certainly did their county proud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So it's Either Wexford or Clare in the Quarters

Galway and Cork qualify for the semi finals

Prob a double header on the 23rd July in PUC or Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

Can anyone give an idea of how the Waterford under 21 panel is shaping up? How many of the senior panel are under 21? I know Shane Bennett is and Conor Gleeson? Tough task for us on Thursday night but we are defending All Ire champions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Would Ryan be wordy of a start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Good win last night, great to shake that monkey off our back. Some big performances from boys that were under a bit of pressure going in to the game (or at least on here they were anyway).
    Brick, Moran, Shane Bennett, Shane Fives all having much improved outings from the Cork game.
    Interesting that of the subs to make impacts it was really Maurice, Tommy Ryan, O'Halloran who had impacts. Stephen Bennett although doing well to win the free at the end couldn't have the same impact as his brother when introduced for him. Patrick Curran received a good period of time on the field and overall I was a little disappointed by his contribution. He spent a lot of time on his knees, seemed to give up rather easily a few times rather than harrying as Shane Bennett and Jake Dillon had been doing. Felt he was fouled when going through on goal however.
    Jake Dillon was very effective in the first half. Faded in the second but made a big contribution none the less.
    I wonder have Ryan and O'Halloran pushed ahead of Curran and Stephen Bennett in the pecking order after their cameos?

Disappointed to see no coverage whatsoever of the Waterford Ladies Footballers Munster final loss to Kerry yesterday. How many here even knew this game was on?
    Waterford lost by 2 but were incredibly unlucky, Maria Delahunty rattling the Kerry crossbar twice in the second half. Some dubious decisions against the Deise in the second half didn't aid their cause.
    While Waterford still remain in the hunt for an AI it seems a strange system whereby Waterford beat both Cork and Kerry and had to face one of them again in the final. These earlier victories were viewed as surprising so yesterday would have been a very special victory for the Ladies, unfortunately Lady Luck wasn't in their favour but they certainly did their county proud!
    O Halloran won the free at the end, not Bennett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PTH2009 wrote: »

How much will Clare and wexford beat us by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

We should be going into quarters full of confidence after last night. Wexford were shown up to be the very limited team that we all knew they were against Galway and in fairness Clare didn't look all that great today and should have lost by more.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Just like the old days on AFR... :)

Great website AFRua

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

KevIRL wrote: »
    How much will Clare and wexford beat us by?

30 vs 15 is a bit unfair.

• Advertisement

I would just like to say thanks to Derek McGrath and his squad for giving us a day to remember yesterday. Derek has shipped an awful lot of unwarranted and nasty rhetoric from many on this forum and elsewhere.

Also, the constant name calling of Jake Dillion as Derek's pet and that there was favouritism being shown by the manager because of the De La Salle connection was simply disgusting. Jake was super yesterday.

The other target, Barry Coughlan, was his usual brilliant self again and as I stated here before, he is the best full back in the country.

Derek got all of his calls right and the knockers now need to have a long hard look at themselves, for a change............

Some brilliant performances on that Waterford team but a bit of perspective here, it is a Kilkenny team in a transition period. You are nearly going on as if he masterminded a win against the four in a row side. The tactics Derek is deploying will only get ye so far. If he was that good they would have won in normal time. The fact is Kilkenny ran out of road and their big players didn't stand up on the day and they still almost snatched it. Waterford retreated so far in that last 15 minutes they needed a divers bell.

Barry Coughlan the best full back in the country?? A decent full back alright but your smoking something very strong if you think he is the best in the country. He has Tadhg de Burca stuck right in front of him? :confused:

Waterford have some terrific personnel and the bones of a really top panel at their disposal. i admire the discipline they play with in particular young Shane Bennett who done his leaving cert a mere two years ago iirc? But they are playing with a tactical strait jacket on. Cork and Tipperary showed that fast intense attacking play is the way to go the last couple of years in Munster and prior to that Kilkenny were sweeping all before them with lethal forward combination play. Clare had their two forward lines withdrawn which allowed Cork to build from short puckouts today. There is the ambition of winning vs the fear of losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

Who passed the ball to Barron for his goal?

Mulbert wrote: »
    Who passed the ball to Barron for his goal?

A Gleeson

jelutong wrote: »
    30 vs 15 is a bit unfair.

If we were the ones with 30 players v 15, PTH2009 would still find a way to convince himself we'd lose

Tramore84 wrote:
    Great website AFRua

Remember they published my quote about how much Henry shefflins head would be worth in a Turkish Street bazaar, great days on AFR and the Examiner.

Thought so, pass was as good as the goal if u look at it. Played a similar ball with similar result in Munster U21 final a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Can anyone give an idea of how the Waterford under 21 panel is shaping up? How many of the senior panel are under 21? I know Shane Bennett is and Conor Gleeson? Tough task for us on Thursday night but we are defending All Ire champions!

Of the starting team in last year's under 21 final, seven are again eligible this year: Jordan Henley, Conor Gleeson, Darragh Lyons, Conor Prunty, Colm Roche, Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran. Peter Hogan, a regular sub last year, is also eligible. I think all of these except Henley are on this year’s extended senior panel. I expect Henley will be playing outfield this year with Billy Nolan in goal. Henley was a good wingback at minor for Waterford and also played well there in the recent Munster Under 25 final.

There were five more from the 2014 minor team in that Under 25 final: Andy Molumby; Cormac Curran (also a minor playing sub in 2013 who wasn’t available last year); Shane Ryan; David Prendergast and Eddie Meaney, and I presume all of these will be involved on Thursday.

Others from the 2015 and 2016 minor teams who might be in the picture include Darragh McGrath, Calum Lyons, Jack Prendergast, Eoghan Murray, Cathal Curran, Conor Dalton, Neil Montgomery.

However, I have no inside information on how things have been going with the Under 21s or who is on their panel. Like most years, Waterford should be potential candidates for a Munster championship at this level provided they play to their potential. However, most years they come nowhere near this level. It will be an interesting test of Seán Power’s managerial abilities to see how he gets on with a team lacking such players as Austin Gleeson, Stephen Bennett, Tom Devine, Michael Harney and Mikey Kearney.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Of the starting team in last year's under 21 final, seven are again eligible this year: Jordan Henley, Conor Gleeson, Darragh Lyons, Conor Prunty, Colm Roche, Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran. Peter Hogan, a regular sub last year, is also eligible. I think all of these except Henley are on this year’s extended senior panel. I expect Henley will be playing outfield this year with Billy Nolan in goal. Henley was a good wingback at minor for Waterford and also played well there in the recent Munster Under 25 final.

There were five more from the 2014 minor team in that Under 25 final: Andy Molumby; Cormac Curran (also a minor playing sub in 2013 who wasn’t available last year); Shane Ryan; David Prendergast and Eddie Meaney, and I presume all of these will be involved on Thursday.

Others from the 2015 and 2016 minor teams who might be in the picture include Darragh McGrath, Calum Lyons, Jack Prendergast, Eoghan Murray, Cathal Curran, Conor Dalton, Neil Montgomery.

However, I have no inside information on how things have been going with the Under 21s or who is on their panel. Like most years, Waterford should be potential candidates for a Munster championship at this level provided they play to their potential. However, most years they come nowhere near this level. It will be an interesting test of Seán Power’s managerial abilities to see how he gets on with a team lacking such players as Austin Gleeson, Stephen Bennett, Tom Devine, Michael Harney and Mikey Kearney.

Cork are going too be strong I reckon but on paper we have a strong enough team. Cork Hurling is on the rise and they will want too do the Munster triple (Senior, Minor and U21)

Limerick are the team too beat in Munster but Clare might be good

Be nice too get to another under 21 Munster final but he bad thing is we will have to Travel too Limerick or Ennis for it

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Worst Kilkenny team I've seen since 98 and we still almost managed to p*ss it away. Can't see us putting it up to Tipp or Galway given the negativity and especially the lack of confidence in the team for the last 10mins of games. They'll need to improve massively from here on if they have any serious ambitions of winning an all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Fantastic to beat Kilkenny in championship finally. Some massive performances with Connors, De Burca, Barron and Aussie outstanding.

So its either Clare or Wexford next up in the quarter finals. We should fear neither, however we will need to improve again. Not scoring for the last 15 minutes of normal against Kilkeeny is concerning and we were very close to paying a high price for it.

Still, we can look forward to a quarter final with confidence after finally beating Kilkenny. Great day for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Cork are going too be strong I reckon

Limerick are the team too beat in Munster

Clare might be good
    So basically, anyone left is good and could go on to win it!? pacman.gif

When is the draw on for the quarters?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

Worst Kilkenny team I've seen since 98 and we still almost managed to p*ss it away. Can't see us putting it up to Tipp or Galway given the negativity and especially the lack of confidence in the team for the last 10mins of games. They'll need to improve massively from here on if they have any serious ambitions of winning an all Ireland.

Jesus wept

Cake Man wrote: »
    So basically, anyone left is good and could go on to win it!? pacman.gif

When is the draw on for the quarters?

Yeah basically

Draw for quarters is 2morrow morning on just after 8.30am on RTE Radio One . Games are due too be played on the weekend of 22nd/23rd July (more likely a double header on Sunday 23rd July)

(Not direcrly intended at you, it's for people who don't understand the draw and are Intent on proving we can ) WE CAN NOT WE CAN NOT DRAW Tipperary, as they are a qualifier like us We can only draw Wexford or Clare. Both Losing provincial finalists are separated as are the 2 qualifers

If I had a choice id take Wexford but it's far from an easy draw and there a better team now too the team we beat in last year's Quarter finals. Clare too can cause trouble for any team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

Well done Waterford at the weekend. Massive result after years of trying to beat Kilkenny.

Yeah basically

Draw for quarters is 2morrow morning on just after 8.30am on RTE Radio One . Games are due too be played on the weekend of 22nd/23rd July (more likely a double header on Sunday 23rd July)

(Not direcrly intended at you, it's for people who don't understand the draw and are Intent on proving we can ) WE CAN NOT WE CAN NOT DRAW Tipperary, as they are a qualifier like us We can only draw Wexford or Clare. Both Losing provincial finalists are separated as are the 2 qualifers

If I had a choice id take Wexford but it's far from an easy draw and there a better team now too the team we beat in last year's Quarter finals. Clare too can cause trouble for any team
    Yeah I've been seeing it everywhere people saying it's an open draw when in reality it's more of a partially open draw with Clare and Wexford being kept apart. By default, this also means ourselves and Tipp can't meet either.
    Would probably take Wexford too, whoever we draw won't be easy but we'd still be confident of overcoming either but Clare and Wexford would be hoping to draw us rather than Tipp.
    Get the feeling it'll be another meeting with Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

nlrkjos wrote: »
    well done Waherfur ! out and out Rebel here but married to a Deise woman, a wee bit suicidal at times and took longer than is should but a great win.... Cork all the way for me but I do have ye as a back-up
    Being married to a Waterford woman I would've expected a better attempt at the impression of the accent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Some brilliant performances on that Waterford team but a bit of perspective here, it is a Kilkenny team in a transition period. You are nearly going on as if he masterminded a win against the four in a row side. The tactics Derek is deploying will only get ye so far. If he was that good they would have won in normal time. The fact is Kilkenny ran out of road and their big players didn't stand up on the day and they still almost snatched it. Waterford retreated so far in that last 15 minutes they needed a divers bell.

Barry Coughlan the best full back in the country?? A decent full back alright but your smoking something very strong if you think he is the best in the country. He has Tadhg de Burca stuck right in front of him? :confused:

Waterford have some terrific personnel and the bones of a really top panel at their disposal. i admire the discipline they play with in particular young Shane Bennett who done his leaving cert a mere two years ago iirc? But they are playing with a tactical strait jacket on. Cork and Tipperary showed that fast intense attacking play is the way to go the last couple of years in Munster and prior to that Kilkenny were sweeping all before them with lethal forward combination play. Clare had their two forward lines withdrawn which allowed Cork to build from short puckouts today. There is the ambition of winning vs the fear of losing.

So perhaps you might like to offer up the name of a better full back. I remind you to give careful consideration before you reply ....there is the clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

So perhaps you might like to offer up the name of a better full back. I remind you to give careful consideration before you reply ....there is the clue.

Tommy Doyle.

Coughlan isn't even the best fullback in the county never mind the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Robo, you can't make a statement like that without saying who in the county is better than him.
    I might not be Coughlans biggest fan but he is the best in the county.

Waternut wrote: »
    Robo, you can't make a statement like that without saying who in the county is better than him.
    I might not be Coughlans biggest fan but he is the best in the county.
    Off hand, I would classify both Shane Fives and TDB as better fullbacks but they happen to be better utilised in other positions on the senior team.

Davy it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Happy with Wexford. Will be tight but I think we're a better team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Anyone know if that draw means we automatically play Cork if we win as beaten provincial finalists (Wexford) can't play provincial winners (Galway) in semis?

Anyone know if that draw means we automatically play Cork if we win as beaten provincial finalists (Wexford) can't play provincial winners (Galway) in semis?

If ourselves and tipp win it'll be an open draw.

Both teams happy with that I'd say, looking forward to it. Still question marks over PuC being ready, may not be. Could be another trip to Thurles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

That's the draw both ourselves and Wexford were looking for so we can't complain. It certainly won't be a game for the purists but it's just about getting the win I suppose. I can't see PUC being ready in time. It will be interesting to see if they delay putting tickets up for sale. I think the crowd will be too big for a double header unless it is croke park but I believe there is a concert there that weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

It's ready alright, there is a club game on there next weekend just to make sure everything will run smoothly on QF day.

Only question is whether it'll be a double header or not.

Cake Man wrote: »
    If ourselves and tipp win it'll be an open draw.

Both teams happy with that I'd say, looking forward to it. Still question marks over PuC being ready, may not be. Could be another trip to Thurles!

Wexford deff a better team than the one we played last year. Could be 3rd time lucky for Wexford vs us in the quarter finals. Won't be easy.

Think PUC is opening for a club match next weekend so might be ready. Hopefully it will be a double header on Sunday 23rd July but not too confident

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Can I just throw out something in reply to all those who are complaining about pulling forwards back deep as if that's 'negative'. Have a look at all four Waterford goals on Sunday. All were either 2 on 1 situations or were situations where the Waterford forwards had acres of space in front of them & the goal when gaining possession.
    This was directly as a result of pulling forwards deep and therefore also sucking the defenders from the goal therefore creating the space in the first place.
    I actually see this as a positive way of creating space for young fast forwards to exploit. It just pisses me off when I hear 'analysts' saying it's negative. I see it as the best way of maximising our strengths.
    On another point - when talking about man of the match performances, why has no expert mentioned Shane fives? I thought he was brilliant throughout and was the main reason kk were kept quiet up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

Bduffman wrote: »
    Can I just throw out something in reply to all those who are complaining about pulling forwards back deep as if that's 'negative'. Have a look at all four Waterford goals on Sunday. All were either 2 on 1 situations or were situations where the Waterford forwards had acres of space in front of them & the goal when gaining possession.
    This was directly as a result of pulling forwards deep and therefore also sucking the defenders from the goal therefore creating the space in the first place.
    I actually see this as a positive way of creating space for young fast forwards to exploit. It just pisses me off when I hear 'analysts' saying it's negative. I see it as the best way of maximising our strengths.
    On another point - when talking about man of the match performances, why has no expert mentioned Shane fives? I thought he was brilliant throughout and was the main reason kk were kept quiet up front.

True. All we lack at times is a really pacy half forward to be able to break forward and join. Basically what Barron did. Going man for man in full back line is suicidal so I'm comfortable with being short one in the forwards. Just need to exploit the space better.

Laziness of the analysis is amazing. There were times when Bennett was standing one on one with the fb in loads of space and people were moaning. Surely that's what we should want? People typically have their gripes pre-prepared

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Bduffman wrote: »

How many counties are going to be tactically naive enough to follow players out the pitch and loose their shape?

The last goal especially if it was waterford conceded it McGrath would be getting slated....several extra defenders jumping for the ball and noone standing off to win the breaking ball...ffs wouldn't happen in minor

Be interesting see how they'll fare againest wexford mind

Wexford is not an easy draw. It's actually nicely set up for them after their come-down to Earth against Galway.Wouldn't necessarily have preferred them to Clare. A different proposition to what we faced at the same stage last year. On paper we are an all round better side but I still have reservations about our consistency. It's like we almost did everything in our power to hand the game to Kk on Saturday. While we are right to celebrate that milestone we need to move on v quick and realise that Saturday was just a qualifier win against a side who are a bit over the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Deliberately did not post since before the Cork game, as I felt it was a game where everything went wrong and we were simply not prepared for the Cork assault, so decided I would wait until things panned out before commenting.

Saturday night was a great achievement because of the pressure of playing KK and the "monkey on the back scenario" it presented. I still however feel that there is room for improvement and we are still making many of the same mistakes that we have been making up to this.

Firstly can i say that i am delighted for Jake Dillon, I feel that he is a very intelligent and skillful hurler who battles for everything and has come in for very undue criticism, and had been carrying a longstanding injury. I thought he led by example last Saturday night and was in fact very unlucky to be the first one withdrawn. I know he was tiring but so were others. Secondly delighted for Brick and Moran who used all their experience.

I have no problem with playing a sweeper, but I still question the impact of pulling almost all the forwards out the field. Yes Shane Bennett was isolated one on one in the inside forward line, but the distance between him and the rest of the players meant that it was impossible to get quick ball into him, it was more likely to be high lofted ball that favours the backs. The two goals we scored in normal time we when we had numbers inside, the first goal you had two on tow, and the second goal we had four forwards pressuring KK backs 30 meters from the Kilkenny goal. Also for Maurice's goal KK had three backs under the ball but we had two forwards Maurice was in there and Dunford was arriving at pace on any breaking ball and this caused that extra little bit of panic.

In extra time we were much more offensive and positive, and i felt that if we did that throughout we would have won the game well in ordinary time. I am willing to accept that part of the reason we dropped off in the last 10 minutes was the fear of what happened previously but we must now learn of the importance of being positive - we cannot just lie back and allow teams to bomb high balls in on top of our box - there is too much risk involved in that.

By all means we can become a bit more conservative rather than going "gung ho", but only if we release the pace that we have on the bench and play the ball into space where they can pressurise defenders to hitting harmless ball rather than direct ball.

We also need to be very patient, with our young players - during the year people on here have been very critical of the likes of the Bennett's, Patrick Curran, Colin Dunford etc.. These are highly skillfull and highly talented hurlers but are still very young and are confidence players - the other night Patrick Curran got a great point was unlucky to not have drawn more frees and very nearly set up Shane Bennett for a goal- this is why it is important to have such depth in your panel because young players will have good and bad days.

Regards the management I have been critical in the past and rightly so, I am still critical of some of the things that happened particularly the last 15 minutes of normal time - as I said I am willing to accept that it was quite possibly because of the history against this opposition, but we do need to show more confidence in being able to finish off opposition and this is the job of management - we have the hurlers to compete with another teams but we need to show that confidence and belief , and Derek needs to start talking our players up rather than looking for the underdog tag the whole time- if we do there is real prospect of reaching the holy grail this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

SW1985 wrote: »
    If I hear another person moan about the sweeper I'll crack up. Extra man around full back line is worth its weight in gold. Playing 3 on 3 there is suicidal these days.

Delighted, what a day! Congratulations to the lads.

The last three AI winners all played 3 on 3 in the FB line?
    inthehat wrote: »
    Well done Deise people!What a great match and a well deserved win.

It really wasn't, it was turgid if you're being totally honest, the end was exciting but the hurling was awful to watch.

The other target, Barry Coughlan, was his usual brilliant self again and as I stated here before, he is the best full back in the country.

Steady on there now!! Even Barry Coughlan doesn't believe that, even mammy Coughlan doesn't believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

How many counties are going to be tactically naive enough to follow players out the pitch and loose their shape?

The last goal especially if it was waterford conceded it McGrath would be getting slated....several extra defenders jumping for the ball and noone standing off to win the breaking ball...ffs wouldn't happen in minor

Be interesting see how they'll fare againest wexford mind

How many counties would be tactically naive enough? You mean apart from kk? If Brian Cody can be 'tactically naive' then it's fair to say other less experienced managers will be the same. I can't see too many teams keeping a FB in front of the goal marking no-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

Coughlan is going to cost Waterford an Ireland. The reason why there is an extra man back i would say is to protect him. He can't be left one on one. Therefore you can't let your forwards free to hurl. Time for a change back there, and Gleason is not a strong enough natural centre back to hold the centre back position, he wanders and is not a man marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Dionysis wrote: »
    Coughlan is going to cost Waterford an Ireland. The reason why there is an extra man back i would say is to protect him. He can't be left one on one. Therefore you can't let your forwards free to hurl. Time for a change back there, and Gleason is not a strong enough natural centre back to hold the centre back position, he wanders and is not a man marker.

If there's nobody better than Coughlan to choose from in the county then how can you attribute blame on him solely if we lose? Ridiculous statement to single out the man alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Dionysis wrote: »

Ahhhhh the auld "blame absolutely everything on the full back" technique.

For years people were crying out for a full back who did what needed to be done. Coughlan does that. I'm not saying he's the best hurler in the world and yes he does have TDB in front of him but he hasn't had a howler for as long as I've been watching him.

Ok as stupid as this sounds I would rather get knocked out by Wexford than having off lost last Saturday too Kilkenny

If we had lost after the lead we had it would of finished this Waterford team and supporters would still be in shock

Ok as stupid as this sounds I would rather get knocked out by Wexford than having off lost last Saturday too Kilkenny

If we had lost after the lead we had it would of finished this Waterford team and supporters would still be in shock

Why would it sound stupid. If we do lose then we go out at a later stage in the competition.

What does sound stupid is again you are focusing on defeat again. Two weeks out from the match and two days after winning our most recent game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement