Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ok as stupid as this sounds I would rather get knocked out by Wexford than having off lost last Saturday too Kilkenny

If we had lost after the lead we had it would of finished this Waterford team and supporters would still be in shock

We're not going to get knocked out by Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Some vintage concern trolling going on here. Should we be worried that we let that eight point lead slip? Had we lost the game, and the two minutes when the team were level at the end of injury time were seriously hairy, then it would have been utterly calamitous. But we didn't and went on to outscore Kilkenny by seven points in 24 minutes of hurling including two goals that, had they been scored at the other end, would have been viewed as evidence of the superior moral fibre of the species (player runs 50 metres without anyone laying a glove on him then another player leaves three lads trailing hopelessly in his wake). As one lad on Twiter said, this isn't a monkey off our back. It's King Kong off our back. Here's to a future of every game just being a game rather than an archaeological expedition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Dionysis wrote: »
    Coughlan is going to cost Waterford an Ireland. The reason why there is an extra man back i would say is to protect him. He can't be left one on one. Therefore you can't let your forwards free to hurl. Time for a change back there, and Gleason is not a strong enough natural centre back to hold the centre back position, he wanders and is not a man marker.

Gleeson is yet to play center back for the Waterford senior hurlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

I expect us to beat Wexford but I'm surprised some are so dismissive of them.

Yes, they were well beaten by Galway but they also beat Kilkenny this year more and more convincingly than us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

deisedude wrote: »
    I expect us to beat Wexford but I'm surprised some are so dismissive of them.

Yes, they were well beaten by Galway but they also beat Kilkenny this year more and more convincingly than us

Yeah it will be interesting, both play a similar type of game with a real emphasis on shutting down the opposition and for that reason it could turn into a very messy game and a tactical minefield. McDonald and Chin are real class players and will cause problems, its not as one-sided as the bookies would suggest, nor is other QF fwiw.

danganabu wrote: »
    Yeah it will be interesting, both play a similar type of game with a real emphasis on shutting down the opposition and for that reason it could turn into a very messy game and a tactical minefield. McDonald and Chin are real class players and will cause problems, its not as one-sided as the bookies would suggest, nor is other QF fwiw.

Chin seemed to fade badly in the Leinster final though he us quality. Very impressed with O Connor so far this year. One big difference seems to be the ball playing ability of the sweepers.

Murphy was very poor in this regard in the Leinster final, Bourke is consistently excellent in his distribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Well done to the players and management. Both were superb Saturday night. Nice draw in Wexford. Will need to be at our best to beat them.

Chin seemed to fade badly in the Leinster final though he us quality. Very impressed with O Connor so far this year. One big difference seems to be the ball playing ability of the sweepers.

Murphy was very poor in this regard in the Leinster final, Bourke is consistently excellent in his distribution.

Absolutely agree, it was very obvious in the Leinster Final that Davy needs to re-consider who he allocates the sweeper role to going forward, it's not a role that suits everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Copied from twitter

Health and safety officers currently assessing Páirc Uí Chaoimh. #GAA CCCC meeting recommences at 4pm. #sportlive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,120 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Copied from twitter

Health and safety officers currently assessing Páirc Uí Chaoimh. #GAA CCCC meeting recommences at 4pm. #sportlive

please be sunday please be sunday :D:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

PTH2009 wrote:
    please be sunday please be sunday

John fogarty on Twitter saying if Pairc ui chapimh passes health and safety inspection there will be one match Saturday and one Sunday

John fogarty on Twitter saying if Pairc ui chapimh passes health and safety inspection there will be one match Saturday and one Sunday

balls are match will deff be the Saturday and Clare vs Tipp will be the Sunday

first championship match i will miss since Westmeath in 2013 :(:(:(:(

****ing Cork anyway

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Clare Tipp is on the Saturday PTH 

Waterford v Wex Sunday at 4pm

Clare Tipp is on the Saturday PTH :)

;););););)

were the sunday there i imagine

would of loved a double header but what can you do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Sunday 4.00 pm not to bad but would not think Wexford not happy and neither will Clare or Tipp be - if not a double header why not Thurles and Limerick instead of dragging some supporters half way across the country - some Crack at Leamybrien, Killeagh and Castlemartyr on a sunny Sunday afternoon - bring the flask and plenty of sambos, could be a long one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

balls are match will deff be the Saturday and Clare vs Tipp will be the Sunday

first championship match i will miss since Westmeath in 2013 :(:(:(:(

****ing Cork anyway

Do you ever have a positive thought PTH2009?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Clare Tipp is on the Saturday PTH :)

would of loved a double header but what can you do
    Seriously, be happy it's on the Sunday.

Crazy. Should be a double header if in Cork. If split games then our match in nowlan park or even thurles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭ForestFire

How does this make any sense (Besides getting some use out of Pairc ui chaoimh)

So all of Wexford will have to travel through Waterford and then everyone use the same roads to cork as the waterford supporters??

What was wrong with Nolan Park (24K) or Thurles, maybe even Carlow for 1 match (21K capacity)?

If either team had any objection to Nolan or Thurles due to familiarity then toss for one of the two venues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Boo no double header was hoping we'd play Wexford then Tipp vs Clare after but i guess the GAA want the extra money.

Lads ye are insane if ye think that Nowlan Park could hold this game or indeed that a double header was an option. Wexford could fill Cork on their own.

Lads ye are insane if ye think that Nowlan Park could hold this game or indeed that a double header was an option. Wexford could fill Cork on their own.

If that's the case then, whats wrong with Thurles for this 1 Match?
    Do you think Wexford prefer Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Yea we're gonna need a serious Waterford crowd going because the Wexford support will be strong again I imagine. Hopefully the KK result will have compelled a few more to go.

Wonder what the tickets will cost. Tickets have been €30 the last few years for the quarter final when it was a double header.

Wexford will deff out number us on support

I'm looking forward too seeing the new stadium but traffic will be manic.

Any news on the under 21 team??

ForestFire wrote: »
    If that's the case then, whats wrong with Thurles for this 1 Match?
    Do you think Wexford prefer Cork?

QF's were announced for Cork a month ago, regardless of participants, not sure why there was any doubt

QF's were announced for Cork a month ago, regardless of participants, not sure why there was any doubt

Really? Why did they say this morning after the draw that the Venues to be decided if that was the case.

And it took them half the day to announce what was already decided?
    Do you have a link to that anywhere that shows that it was already picked?
    Would is still be the case if Cork lost yesterday?

And why would they do that in any case? Again only to give the new ground something?

If it is true it still does not make it right,

Really? Why did they say this morning after the draw that the Venues to be decided if that was the case.

And why would they do that in any case? Again only to give the new ground something?

The doubt and uncertainty was owing to the fact that until 4 o'clock this evening they had no health and safety certification.

The doubt and uncertainty was owing to the fact that until 4 o'clock this evening they had no health and safety certification.

Which surprised me, as it never stopped them before.

Seem to have found reference to this on rte, but still a strange that we are giving these games to counties without any consideration for the teams and fans that will get there.

What would happen if galway, dublin, wexford and Antrim qualified or cork, do they get home advantage?

It must we Waterford turn next year so;)

We have the advantage of have both games on same day at same time if needed in Walsh park and Fahar Field:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

We have the advantage of have both games on same day at same time if needed in Walsh park and Fahar Field:D

I wouldn't graze cattle in Walsh Park, it's an embarrassment to Waterford GAA. If the Championship restructure happens we'll have to seriously look at the stadium issue again or we'll be ceding home advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I wouldn't graze cattle in Walsh Park, it's an embarrassment to Waterford GAA. If the Championship restructure happens we'll have to seriously look at the stadium issue again or we'll be ceding home advantage.

Arent we getting €4 million to do up Walsh Park to allow us have a decent ground for the new Munster championship? Or so the rumour mill has it anyway. It wont be ready for next year even if we get the cash

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Some sour grapes from Shefflin and Larkin. Putrid stuff indeed. Anyone see any sign of Tyrell ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Some sour grapes from Shefflin and Larkin. Putrid stuff indeed. Anyone see any sign of Tyrell ?

Article from Tyrell normally not out via Irish Times until Friday.
    In fairness to Tyrell he tipped Waterford to win in advance of the game.

The articles from Larkin through the pundit arena are awful stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bressi

Will Waterford play Cork in semi final if we beat wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Seem to have found reference to this on rte, but still a strange that we are giving these games to counties without any consideration for the teams and fans that will get there.

What would happen if galway, dublin, wexford and Antrim qualified or cork, do they get home advantage?

It must we Waterford turn next year so;)

Are Antrim still in the championship, who are they playing next?
    (they usually are at this time of year as they get at least 3 bites of the cherry :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

New Páirc Uí Chaoimh layout according to Ticketmaster website (referring to next year's Ed Sheeran concert)

New South Stand has three tiers.

Bottom Tier Section 101 (city end) to 110
    Middle (Premier) Tier Section 201 (city end) to 212
    Top Tier Section 301 (city end) to 312

New North Stand has just one tier Section 410 (city end) to 401.

The sequence for the North Stand may be an error as all the sections for the South Stand start with 01 at the city end.

Rows begin with A at the front and then AA following Z but I don't have information on the letter for the top row in the various tiers.

Terraces behind both goals.

Are Antrim still in the championship, who are they playing next?
    (they usually are at this time of year as they get at least 3 bites of the cherry :rolleyes: )

I used some poetic licence there to highlight my argument;)

Although they have been at this stage before in the championship...don't recall seeing them for a few years now....

looks like they won Ulster and lost to Carlow in the Christy Ring Final...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

bressi wrote: »
    Will Waterford play Cork in semi final if we beat wexford[/

If we win and Tipp win v Clare there will be a draw. If we win and Clare win we play Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

This was announced on 17th June. Only decision today was if PuC was still going to be ready for QF weekend.

http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/bbarry/pairc-ui-chaoimh-opening-games/

This will prob be Wexfords first ever championship game in Pairc Ui Chaomh ???

The place has been a nightmare for us in the past but we did win our first Munster title in 39 years there in 2002 and De La Salle won a Munster club title there in 2010.

Looking forward too seeing the redevelopment. I Remember how tight the seats were and the tunnel in the old place. It was some kip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

bressi wrote: »
    Will Waterford play Cork in semi final if we beat wexford[/

If we win and Tipp win v Clare there will be a draw. If we win and Clare win we play Cork.
    I don't think so, in that scenario there would still be a draw (Cork and Galway in one bowl, Waterford and Clare in the other). I don't think it matters that Clare played Cork more recently than us.

As I understand it:
    Waterford and Tipp win = draw as described above
    Waterford and Clare win = draw as described above
    Wexford and Tipp win = Wx v Cork, Tipp v Gal
    Wexford and Clare win = Wx v Cork, Clare v Gal

Anyway no point really looking much into semi final pairings, focus should be fully on Wexford on Sunday week. What team would people go with? The one that started v KK or something similar to the one that finished?

I think Maurice has likely done enough to warrant a starting spot, possibly BOH and/or Tommy Ryan too. Stephen Bennett and Curran probably haven't done enough to start. Dunford did ok but wasn't really on the field long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

This will prob be Wexfords first ever championship game in Pairc Ui Chaomh ???

The place has been a nightmare for us in the past but we did win our first Munster title in 39 years there in 2002 and De La Salle won a Munster club title there in 2010.

Looking forward too seeing the redevelopment. I Remember how tight the seats were and the tunnel in the old place. It was some kip

It's pretty much a completely redeveloped ground, none of the players involved have ever played on this pitch before. I'm not sure what relevance you think you can attach to those results you mentioned above...?!

It's pretty much a completely redeveloped ground, none of the players involved have ever played on this pitch before. I'm not sure what relevance you think you can attach to those results you mentioned above...?!

I'm almost sure it's the same playing surface ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I haven't read Eoin Larkin before now. I'm in a magnanimous mood, so...it's a Hunter S Thompson homage, right? Properly Gonzo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Deisegodeo wrote: »

Arent we getting €4 million to do up Walsh Park to allow us have a decent ground for the new Munster championship? Or so the rumour mill has it anyway. It wont be ready for next year even if we get the cash
    If that's true it's an absolute disgrace. Pumping more money into Walsh park is pointless. Doesn't have any room to expand, minimal parking etc. County board  ***ked up, they should have sold it 15 years ago and built just outside the city with WIT. Where is the common sense? Could even have done something with Fraher Field but that would never happen for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Once again the achievement of this Waterford side in my view is being totally undermined in all areas of the media, all I am seeing is how wonderful KK were to come back and how this is the worst KK side for the last 20 years , Waterford are not genuine contenders and the usual rubbish.

Facts are facts, this KK side is backboned by a combination of TJ Reid, Richie Hogan, Michael and Colin Fennelly, Eoin Muphy, Paul Murphy, Walter Walsh, Padraig Walsh, Lester Ryan and Cillian Buckley. 10 top class players with an abundance of All Ireland medals, who could also call on the likes of Kieran Joyce and a raft of underage players who have All Ireland minor medals - they may not have lived with the top KK side of the 2004 to 2014 era, but player for player they are far from the worst KK side of the last 20 years.

Against Cork this year we were desperate, we were flat and our game plan was rubbish, none of our big names showed up and we were well beaten by a better side on the day - no excuses. Since then we have put Offally to the sword, while in second gear and on Saturday night we finally defeated KK. Waterford in ordinary time should have put KK to the sword, on overall play in my view they were a 8 point + better side than KK but whether it is a fault in our game plan, or it was just the pressure of getting the KK monkey off the back we failed to push on and left KK back into the game with a mess of a goal.

Full credit to KK yes, but what about credit to Waterford - at the end of ordinary time on Sunday night i would say not one pundit in the country gave us a sniff of a chance in Extra Time and yet Waterford do push on and finally put KK to the sword winning by 7 points. a true reflection of their superiority on the night. Also what is not being mentioned is we scored four goals and could have had another had Patrick Curran slipped the ball across to Shane Bennett.

Last Sunday, the width of the crossbar saved Cork at a vital stage in the game that could have resulted in Clare winning the Munster title but nothing is being made of this - Cork are top of the pile and appear to be everybody's team at the moment. Not saying that this is wrong but it might just be a bit premature. This two months is when the serious hurling begins and teams really start to up their games and pressure really comes to the fore. Expectations rise and nerves set in.

I am not saying Waterford are world beaters, nor am i saying we should be considered favourites, but these players deserve proper credit - over the last three years these players, have achieved at senior and underage level - they have been far from perfect but sometimes it has been the game plan that has left them down. If KK deserve credit for their comeback last Saturday night, our lads deserve even more credit for their response in Extra time.

It is time to be brave and to step up to the plate and show these so called journalists and pundits that we don't need an under-dog tag, and that these player deserve proper recognition and credit.

For me i would inclined to start the same side the next day out as the starting 15 deserve the chance to hold their places, and while there is room for improvement in some of the players in particular, non of them deserved to be dropped on their performance. The lads that came off the bench will get their chance the next day again and so may some of the other subs - the next day it could be Stephen Bennett or Patrick Curran or Colin Dunford or Shane McNulty who really step up to the plate - these are all excellent hurlers who can really make a difference and every game and every night is different.

My one hope from last weekend is that the win and the manner of the way we played in extra time will finally give Derek the confidence to encourage these lads to play - OK we play a sweeper, but that does not mean we abandon attack - our game plan odes not have to be shredded it just needs to be tweaked and adapted.

Roll on Sunday week

Anyone know what the story with tickets is? Have to say, this place is far more bearable the last few days. Was reaching breaking point before the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

The 1998 win against Tipp there is a day I will always remember. First win against one of the 'big counties' in my lifetime after years in the duldrums

blueflame wrote: »
    Once again the achievement of this Waterford side in my view is being totally undermined in all areas of the media, all I am seeing is how wonderful KK were to come back and how this is the worst KK side for the last 20 years , Waterford are not genuine contenders and the usual rubbish.

Facts are facts, this KK side is backboned by a combination of TJ Reid, Richie Hogan, Michael and Colin Fennelly, Eoin Muphy, Paul Murphy, Walter Walsh, Padraig Walsh, Lester Ryan and Cillian Buckley. 10 top class players with an abundance of All Ireland medals, who could also call on the likes of Kieran Joyce and a raft of underage players who have All Ireland minor medals - they may not have lived with the top KK side of the 2004 to 2014 era, but player for player they are far from the worst KK side of the last 20 years.

Against Cork this year we were desperate, we were flat and our game plan was rubbish, none of our big names showed up and we were well beaten by a better side on the day - no excuses. Since then we have put Offally to the sword, while in second gear and on Saturday night we finally defeated KK. Waterford in ordinary time should have put KK to the sword, on overall play in my view they were a 8 point + better side than KK but whether it is a fault in our game plan, or it was just the pressure of getting the KK monkey off the back we failed to push on and left KK back into the game with a mess of a goal.

Full credit to KK yes, but what about credit to Waterford - at the end of ordinary time on Sunday night i would say not one pundit in the country gave us a sniff of a chance in Extra Time and yet Waterford do push on and finally put KK to the sword winning by 7 points. a true reflection of their superiority on the night. Also what is not being mentioned is we scored four goals and could have had another had Patrick Curran slipped the ball across to Shane Bennett.

Last Sunday, the width of the crossbar saved Cork at a vital stage in the game that could have resulted in Clare winning the Munster title but nothing is being made of this - Cork are top of the pile and appear to be everybody's team at the moment. Not saying that this is wrong but it might just be a bit premature. This two months is when the serious hurling begins and teams really start to up their games and pressure really comes to the fore. Expectations rise and nerves set in.

I am not saying Waterford are world beaters, nor am i saying we should be considered favourites, but these players deserve proper credit - over the last three years these players, have achieved at senior and underage level - they have been far from perfect but sometimes it has been the game plan that has left them down. If KK deserve credit for their comeback last Saturday night, our lads deserve even more credit for their response in Extra time.

It is time to be brave and to step up to the plate and show these so called journalists and pundits that we don't need an under-dog tag, and that these player deserve proper recognition and credit.

For me i would inclined to start the same side the next day out as the starting 15 deserve the chance to hold their places, and while there is room for improvement in some of the players in particular, non of them deserved to be dropped on their performance. The lads that came off the bench will get their chance the next day again and so may some of the other subs - the next day it could be Stephen Bennett or Patrick Curran or Colin Dunford or Shane McNulty who really step up to the plate - these are all excellent hurlers who can really make a difference and every game and every night is different.

My one hope from last weekend is that the win and the manner of the way we played in extra time will finally give Derek the confidence to encourage these lads to play - OK we play a sweeper, but that does not mean we abandon attack - our game plan odes not have to be shredded it just needs to be tweaked and adapted.

Roll on Sunday week

Well said blueflame there is a lot of lazy analysis happening in the media and outside it. But perhaps for the best in the long run.

Something that is definitely being overlooked is that Derek McGrath had the option to change the 15 that finished normal time as he went into extra time. He could have brought back in some of the players that went off, but didnt. Then in extra time the subs that came on were all players who hadnt played in the regular 70 mins, again some of the players subbed in the 70 could have come back on. That he didnt bring back in players showed great belief in the squad.

As someone else mentioned, McGrath got all the calls correct on Saturday, with his team selection, and during the match and extra time. He does seriously need to examine the teams reaction to being well ahead in such big games though. In contrast, Brian Cody got it horribly wrong with his pre-game changes (so much for KK never naming dummy teams), this has been mentioned on the KK thread here, but not in the national media. JJ Farrell starting was crazy given he didnt play the other two games including the Wexford game where the sub goalie was judged to be a better option up front than him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement