Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

914 wrote: »
    No long injuries that I remember, plenty of substitutions but I would have said 3minutes 4max injury time.

Also the fact the foul/penalty took 40 - 60 seconds and he blew once the puckout was taken is also a head scratcher. A referee in the GAA world who doesn't play for a draw, that is bloody rare!

Cork no 11 was down for a while after a dangerous hurley to the head which should have been a straight red as dangerous and Waterford lad no where near the ball. Waterford keeper went down as if shot and paid the price for his antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Deiseen wrote: »
    Not when the almighty Cork are on a roll and they have a shiny new Stadium to pay for.

Final is in Limerick so no benefit to Cork GAA apart from a chance of getting to the All Ireland semi final

If anything the replay would have been in Cork so it would have been an extra game in the new stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

ovalu wrote: »
    "One good game"!!!!!!!

He is a very good hurler and will get a proper chance but he was on the panel since thw start of last year and didn't do enough.

People on this thread make two annoying misjudgements constantly:

1) That they know more about who should be playing than management despite the fact that management see them in training/challenges etc

2) That there are 30 first team inter county standard hurlers in Waterford at the moment. There really isn't, there never was on any county panel ever including Kilkennys much vaunted B team.

Somebody has a good game (in fairness an excellent game in this case) in a club game or an u21 match and suddenly its an absolute mystery how they are not starting on the Senior team. It's extremely annoying and delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

914 wrote: »
    No long injuries that I remember, plenty of substitutions but I would have said 3minutes 4max injury time.

Also the fact the foul/penalty took 40 - 60 seconds and he blew once the puckout was taken is also a head scratcher. A referee in the GAA world who doesn't play for a draw, that is bloody rare!

Cork no 11 was down for a while after a dangerous hurley to the head which should have been a straight red as dangerous and Waterford lad no where near the ball. Waterford keeper went down as if shot and paid the price for his antics.

Yet Cork got 5 minutes to come back and score a penalty. It's beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

Dalton put up his hurley hand with no protection . Henley was intitled to go for the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,120 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

best thing Fergal Horgan could do is ask could he change and be a sideline offical for the senior QF if he feels he may be subject of more abuse by Waterford fans

Tickets for the QF for Season ticket holders are now in the my ticket section on the accounts page. North Stand Block 405 Row W

pairc-ui-chaoimh-stadium.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

thesultan wrote:
    Dalton put up his hurley hand with no protection . Henley was intitled to go for the ball.

Correct, from what I saw, the referee wasn't even giving a free until a Cork mentor ran onto the pitch remonstrating for one.

If a player gets a belt on the hand going for a high ball it is not necessarily a foul, no matter how bad it looks.

Did he catch his helmet or his hand?

Did he catch his helmet or his hand?

His hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

thesultan wrote: »

Of course he's entitled to go for the ball but when you swing one handed like that it's a wild pull.
    He hit Dalton on the head...very lucky he didn't get the line.

Of course he's entitled to go for the ball but when you swing one handed like that it's a wild pull.

Just watched it back on TG4 player, they slow it down and it was clearly the hand. It was late, but Dalton went down clutching his head. As guilty of play acting as Nolan, and neither were red cards.

I thought it was the hand which was unprotected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I thought it was the hand which was unprotected.

To be honest it grinds my gears to see people not protecting their hands.
    It was drilled into us when we were younger that if you got a belt from sticking your hand up unprotected then tough sh!t.

To be honest it grinds my gears to see people not protecting their hands. It was drilled into us when we were younger that if you got a belt from sticking your hand up unprotected then tough sh!t.

Agree with you 100%. Looking at games recently if a player pulls on a high ball, his opponent often gets a free if he goes up with the hand but not if he protects himself.

The player striking is going though the same process either way. He is not to know what his opponent is going to do. This is highlighted even more when only two opposing players are contesting the ball.

When it's three/four or more it's a free for all. No one can see what's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Mulbert wrote: »
    Agree with you 100%. Looking at games recently if a player pulls on a high ball, his opponent often gets a free if he goes up with the hand but not if he protects himself.

I actually thought there had been some rule change there because if you pull on a high ball now and connect with anything else instead or as well, it's almost a guaranteed free.

• Advertisement

Maybe so, can anyone give a ruling?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

He is a very good hurler and will get a proper chance but he was on the panel since thw start of last year and didn't do enough.

People on this thread make two annoying misjudgements constantly:

1) That they know more about who should be playing than management despite the fact that management see them in training/challenges etc

2) That there are 30 first team inter county standard hurlers in Waterford at the moment. There really isn't, there never was on any county panel ever including Kilkennys much vaunted B team.

Somebody has a good game (in fairness an excellent game in this case) in a club game or an u21 match and suddenly its an absolute mystery how they are not starting on the Senior team. It's extremely annoying and delusional.

I'd agree with your 2 general points but would disagree with you 100% on Roche who it is clear from your "one good game in an under 21 match" comment , that you have haven't even seen him play before

ovalu wrote: »
    I'd agree with your 2 general points but would disagree with you 100% on Roche who it is clear from your "one good game in an under 21 match" comment , that you have haven't even seen him play before

I've seen him play loads. He was excellent for the 21s last year, got a great goal v Clare. Remember him scoring 0-3 points in the all ireland minor final in 2013 as well. I saw him play in the semi final in 2014 when he didn't have his best day but just as one game does not make a great player it doesn't make a bad one either.

And I recall him playing a few league games last year, starting v Galway but a few cameos prior to that as well. Hes a very good prospect, but he was on the panel and no doubt looked at. In fairness, I would think he should be in a panel of 30 odd players in Waterford to be fair, surprised he's not as has been suggested.

My frustration is more at the fact that there have been so many names trotted out as if we should have a completely different 15 starting. Stephen Bennett, to me our best underage prospect (excluding Austin Gleeson) since Paul Flynn, is a perfect example of how difficult it can be to adapt to Senior level.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

My frustration is more at the fact that there have been so many names trotted out as if we should have a completely different 15 starting. Stephen Bennett, to me our best underage prospect (excluding Austin Gleeson) since Paul Flynn, is a perfect example of how difficult it can be to adapt to Senior level.

You may have forgotten Ken McGrath there :) . The original point was fair though, people have huge expectations of our under 21s from last and this year . It's simply not true that we have a golden generation of players available. There was 5 or 6 on the team last night that are way off inter county standard and will never get near it . Colm Roche is very good and no doubt his time will come but probably not at midfield

Who will replace Brick and Kevin Moran

Heard Keivn Moran may go this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Who will replace Brick and Kevin Moran

Heard Keivn Moran may go this year

People won't realise Brick's true value until he's gone. For me, he's been the best player we've had for the last 10 years. Never gives less than 100% and I think he deserved an All Star last year, he was incredible in the replay against Kilkenny and was very good against Wexford in the Quarter Final. He's the last link to the great team we had under Justin and I'm dreading seeing him go. An absolute warrior and for him to keep going at the stage of his life he should be applauded. He's 34 and has a very young family, for him to still be doing what he's doing shouldn't go unnoticed. Would love to see him get his hands on a medal in September, of all the players we've had not to get one he'd be one of the most deserving of a medal.

Moran is another player we won't realise how good he is until he's gone. It took him a while to nail down a position but he's been a brilliant player for us over the last 6 or 7 years. I remember him playing wing forward under Davy and he couldn't catch a ball to save his life, he just didn't look at all comfortable as an inter county hurler but he grew into a serious player. His performance against Kilkenny in Thurles in 2013 is up there with anything Ken McGrath produced down through the years. I wouldn't say there's too many miles left on the clock but if a new manager came in and favoured a more attacking and direct approach then maybe there's a spot for Moran on the edge of the square?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I just don't see how someone can be so negative...every single statement he puts up is ridiculous. Why talk about replacing Brick and Moran when the season isn't finished yet? Judging by the performances of Brick, there's no reason why he can't be a 50minute man again next season..the man gives his all.

You may have forgotten Ken McGrath there :) .

Be a long time before anyone matches his Senior exploits, but what Bennett did going back to his hat trick v Limerick as a 15 year old and the 9 goals in the 2013 minor championship coupled with his displays in last years u21 championship are hard beat in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JonnieGee

Did anyone hear any news on Paudy Mahoney? Did he leave the ground on crutches last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Mulbert wrote: »
    Correct, from what I saw, the referee wasn't even giving a free until a Cork mentor ran onto the pitch remonstrating for one.

If a player gets a belt on the hand going for a high ball it is not necessarily a foul, no matter how bad it looks.

Agree 100%, I was right in front of it, he did not protect his hand. between number 2 before he went off, Fitzgibbon and Dalton, Cork were ruling the aerial battle on their puckout, the only way to beat it was to try and break the ball, Dalton made a big technical error in not protecting his hand, I had some Cork lunatic behind me shouting that he should be sent off

As for the mentor, yes you are right, there was no free, but he ran onto the pitch mouthing off, then when the play was stopped he ran back onto to the field to seemingly give one of his players instructions, but made a point of shouting at the ref again, the ref did not react. the same fella was encroaching on the field all night

One question, after he played on after Dalton went down, the ball went wide I thought, but yet when play resumed it was a sideline to Cork on the stand side???

P.S. I thought Cork were the better team on the night, more aggressive, better in the air and their back six were very strong, motm IMO was Fitzgibbon and Dalton not far behind him, phenomenal free taker, it was a good game and Waterford had chances to close it out.

I don't think Cork will beat Limerick in the final, but should be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Ticket allocation to the clubs has been reduced even further for next Sunday. Has anyone a reason for this? Surely the powers that be knew there would be huge demand especially with Wexford's attendance at the Leinster final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭914

cul beag wrote: »
    Ticket allocation to the clubs has been reduced even further for next Sunday. Has anyone a reason for this? Surely the powers that be knew there would be huge demand especially with Wexford's attendance at the Leinster final.

Cork have 2,500 season ticket holders not sure if that is effecting the club's but it's a chunk of tickets which are not available.

Seems to be no issue getting the terrace tickets in the club but stand tickets seem seem fewer than usual

They have also scheduled Cork v kilkenny intermediate game before our game.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

JonnieGee wrote: »
    Did anyone hear any news on Paudy Mahoney? Did he leave the ground on crutches last week?

Lads where do ye all be gettin your stories from at all.

1) Pauric Mahony is not injured he was in Pairc ui Caoimh yesterday hitting free's.

2) Colm Roche was injured and missed training and the league campaign for Waterford hence the reason he was not with Senior panel.

3) Kevin Moran will not be retiring this year at the age of 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

cul beag wrote: »

Serious shortage on stand tickets. Most clubs won't even get half of what they need. It makes the decision to bring it to cork look crazy. Wexford band wagon is going strong and they are bringing massive crowds with them to every game so games could have been played in croke park. They had biggest leinster final attendance in years and Waterford supporters will travel in numbers could have got 60000 in croker. But now alot of people won't travel if all they can get are terrace tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

debok wrote: »
    Serious shortage on stand tickets. Most clubs won't even get half of what they need. It makes the decision to bring it to cork look crazy. Wexford band wagon is going strong and they are bringing massive crowds with them to every game so games could have been played in croke park. They had biggest leinster final attendance in years and Waterford supporters will travel in numbers could have got 60000 in croker. But now alot of people won't travel if all they can get are terrace tickets

Waterford people haven't travelled in numbers for some time though unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

KevIRL wrote: »
    Waterford people haven't travelled in numbers for some time though unfortunately.

After the kilkenny win im sure more want to travel the band wagon be in full swing. Sure if we not travelling in numbers anymore then theres no issues with tickets. Anyone hear what pairc ui caoimh revamp is like? Is parking any better

Thought there was a healthy Waterford crowd the last day for a qualifier given how bad they were v Cork as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

After the kilkenny win im sure more want to travel the band wagon be in full swing. Sure if we not travelling in numbers anymore then theres no issues with tickets. Anyone hear what pairc ui caoimh revamp is like? Is parking any better

Parking issue will still be the same. Best thing is to walk out from city centre or arrive very early. The stadium looks great from what I have seen and much improved but then it should be after the money spent.

KevIRL wrote: »

I imagine the big screens in the Apple market and Bailey Street won't help either. I'm not hearing of any big screens in Wexford showing the match ???

Ticket price may put people off

Traffic will be terrible , I would advise people to head for Tallow and go to conna and on to watergrasshill. Ongoing road works in killeagh will make traffic very heavy for city and Wexford supporters.

Thought there was a healthy Waterford crowd the last day for a qualifier given how bad they were v Cork as well.

It was OK but don't forgot a lot of noise too from the Tipp crowd

It was OK but don't forgot a lot of noise too from the Tipp crowd

I was judging more by the white in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I was judging more by the white in the crowd.

Yeah I thought there was a good Waterford crowd there, more turned up than I thought would after the poor performance against Cork. Kilkenny friend of mine thought the same. Id be hopeful we will have a good crowd following the team the next day too.

I wonder will Mcgrath have a plan for Lee Chin. If he has a good game Wexford always have a good game

Davy will have a plan to try and stop Barron and Aussie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I wonder will Mcgrath have a plan for Lee Chin. If he has a good game Wexford always have a good game

Doubt it, I'd say he'll be given the freedom of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Gavlor wrote: »
    Doubt it, I'd say he'll be given the freedom of the park.
    Yeap they'll give em his own personal sliothar too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Every time we have a game you say the opposition have a plan to mark our best players, I'd say it's pretty much a given that any team will set out to target our best players! You were saying the same about Offaly!

Wexford have improved hugely in terms of commitment, physicality, fitness etc but at the end of the day it's more or less the same team we beat easily last year. If we perform to the levels we're capable of we should win this game and the team should be confident after the win last week.

Every time we have a game you say the opposition have a plan to mark our best players, I'd say it's pretty much a given that any team will set out to target our best players! You were saying the same about Offaly!

Wexford have improved hugely in terms of commitment, physicality, fitness etc but at the end of the day it's more or less the same team we beat easily last year. If we perform to the levels we're capable of we should win this game and the team should be confident after the win last week.

They have that Monkey man on the sideline though who has turned there form right around and has brought his army of backroom experts with him too. He will knw what the Waterford players had for breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭914

They have that Monkey man on the sideline though who has turned there form right around and has brought his army of backroom experts with him too. He will knw what the Waterford players had for breakfast

No different to when he was managing clare and we beat them in the munster championship, and we should have beat them in the league final, so I wouldn't worry too much about that factor.

It's also 6 years since he managed Waterford, a lot has changed since then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'm sure he knew what the Kilkenny players had for breakfast in September 2008. Fat lot of use it did him or his experts.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote:
    They have that Monkey man on the sideline though who has turned there form right around and has brought his army of backroom experts with him too. He will knw what the Waterford players had for breakfast[/quote.

All the players are in the public eye. Davy will have coached a few of the players, like he has coached many inter county players through LIT.

The likes of Jim Payne know **** all about hurling and is a conditioning trainer. Maybe Fanning will give them an insight.

There have been a number of couple of Waterford coaches that could offer an opinion on the Wexford club scene though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Take no prisoners

Looking for some tips from those in the know about Cork and getting out of there for the match. I'm travelling from Laois so heading down on the main Dublin-Cork motorway. I had an awful experience getting out of Blackrock after the hammering in the 2011 Munster final so the next time we played there I drove out to Little Island or Glounthaune and got a local train back to Cork. However, I looked at the timetable and after 6.15 (too early), the next train doesn't leave Cork til 7.40 which is ridiculous. Are there park and ride facilities or is there anywhere ye'd recommend to park considering where I'm coming from? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

There is an intermediate game on before the waterford wexford game between killkenny and cork as far as I know and a percentage of the tickets had to go that way aswell which reduced tickest for Waterford and wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Looking for some tips from those in the know about Cork and getting out of there for the match. I'm travelling from Laois so heading down on the main Dublin-Cork motorway. I had an awful experience getting out of Blackrock after the hammering in the 2011 Munster final so the next time we played there I drove out to Little Island or Glounthaune and got a local train back to Cork. However, I looked at the timetable and after 6.15 (too early), the next train doesn't leave Cork til 7.40 which is ridiculous. Are there park and ride facilities or is there anywhere ye'd recommend to park considering where I'm coming from? Thanks.

Expect most of the traffic will be coming from N25 and you might not be too bad coming down M8. If you don't mind a half hour walk I would park in city and walk to ground, it will be much easier getting out afterwards. I can never understand why everyone parks in Blackrock/Ballinlough/Ballintemple as these areas are complete bottlenecks and there will be huge congestion there next week despite whatever GAA or City Council say.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Take no prisoners

Expect most of the traffic will be coming from N25 and you might not be too bad coming down M8. If you don't mind a half hour walk I would park in city and walk to ground, it will be much easier getting out afterwards. I can never understand why everyone parks in Blackrock/Ballinlough/Ballintemple as these areas are complete bottlenecks and there will be huge congestion there next week despite whatever GAA or City Council say.
    Cheers for that. I thought city centre traffic would be woeful too but I was starting to come to the conclusion that it's the lesser of evils myself anyway. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement