Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

SW1985 wrote: »
    Typically some are using Tom's decision as a stick to beat Derek with. The board seems to be a magnet for lunatics

TBH my deleted reply was unnecessary hence being deleted (why get into things with drunk posters??)

But I do view the post searching as an attempt to identify me (could be 100% wrong tbf) as in other forums listed there's pics of me and very identifiable details aboyt me/including my employers name and I value my privacy and anomity here...so it's time to leave behind contribution until closer to championship time.if atal

In short real life and boards are coming too close for people I'm not friends with on here

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

The London Club Deise outing is true, complete piss up. I think a lot of players travelled at their own expense however so are free to do as they please. Some were asked to attend but not all.
    Pity to lose Tom. Had big hopes for him for the coming year. Had heard it months ago from Modeligo people but presumed a change of heart when he featured so much towards the end of the league. If they were aware he was leaving it was strange to play him against Clare and Galway rather than looking at viable options. The talk of Boston, where has this come from? Last I heard he was going to Africa volunteering? It's unlikely he'll play for Waterford as long as most players do anyway given the nature of the career he has undertaken and the demands that come with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Its a fundraiser in London is it not? Surely this is welcome. The dire need of funding was there for all to see during the week with the minor result, we need to be pumping money into underage coaching and development squads again. With only 2 home league games this year, no minor games and only 1 u21 game, the County Board need to look at other options to get money in. If we can tap into Waterford people willing to help out who are based in London then why not. They did it before and it must have worked if they're back there doing it again.

As regards Devine, it is extremely disappointing to see him go, but he has to to what is right for himself and I wish him all the best. I know one of the mainstays of the team that challenged seriously for us between 2002 and 2007 said after he retired that not doing a summer away with friends was a big regret. He just couldnt leave and maybe miss the All-Ireland medal, I do think, regardless of what Tom may say, he doesnt think the team is headed towards an All-Ireland this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Those suggesting he thinks that they won't win an all-ireland and is leaving as a result...regardless of whether it's actually true, if it is then are they not better off without him for this year at least? If anyone doesn't believe they can win the all-ireland this year, they shouldn't be involved.

Not saying I personally think that's what's made his decision just to be clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

In the past didn't A few players have leave the panel too travel/army duties etc Shane O Sullivan, Stephen Molumpy ??

looking forward to the championship this summer but going by our league form I fear the worst (like I always do lol) but according to McGrath he will say after a bad year 'the lads are still young and still maturing into senior hurlers'.

To all the gods in heaven Just one senior All Ireland we want please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

cul beag wrote: »
    Old news about Devine heading to Boston, some people knew of it before xmas. Nice to see Club Deise funding this weekend's piss up in London I'm sure the clubs are delighted to see their star players on the lash 1 week out from championship. Can you imagine the shoe on the other foot? And please don't insult my intelligence by saying they're on the dry.... Unfortunately I have seen pictures to prove it. To be honest it's a disgrace and a total lack of respect by management towards the clubs that supply these players.Again the ordinary club players suffer the consequences.

He's going travelling to Africa and South America so when you've even made up bull**** in your very first sentence it doesn't bear much hope for the rest of your post. As for the players drinking in London I sincerely hope to god that they are letting their hair down and enjoying a few drinks, considering they've just been Ko of the league and no county game for 3 months. As for the ordinary 'poor' club players you refer to , nice too see your heartfelt compassion for them. I'm sure they feel badly let down by the county lads having a a few pints as no doubt the club players have all been as good as gold on the dry with the past 6 months

amazing to think GAA players go on the dry for most of the year while Soccer and Rugby players drink after almost every game

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Its a fundraiser in London is it not? Surely this is welcome. The dire need of funding was there for all to see during the week with the minor result, we need to be pumping money into underage coaching and development squads again. With only 2 home league games this year, no minor games and only 1 u21 game, the County Board need to look at other options to get money in. If we can tap into Waterford people willing to help out who are based in London then why not. They did it before and it must have worked if they're back there doing it again.

How do you square going to Galway and throwing away a Q/F spot in the League and the financial benefits that would have brought to the County Board with going to London with a begging bowl to the ex pats over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

SW1985 wrote: »
    Typically some are using Tom's decision as a stick to beat Derek with. The board seems to be a magnet for lunatics

To brand someone as a "lunatic" for merely putting across a different point of view from your own would suggest that you're the one that's not quite the full shilling.

Deise Gael wrote: »
    How do you square going to Galway and throwing away a Q/F spot in the League and the financial benefits that would have brought to the County Board with going to London with a begging bowl to the ex pats over there?

Separate issues, in my view. Derek McGrath sets the priorities for the senior hurlers for the year, and clearly the league was not a priority this year. After going for the league all out the past 2 years they are trying a different approach of seeking to peak later in the summer, or so it appears to me.

I would think Derek's thinking when setting out the focus for the year is in targetting silverware and not what will benefit the county board financially. Which is the way it should be. McGrath will be judged by this summer's performances and achievements.

I dont know why people on here have an issue with a fundraiser for Waterford hurling in London. As far as I know nobody is forced to attend and forced to contribute financially, they want to help out. And from what I've heard most people enjoy the event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Separate issues, in my view. Derek McGrath sets the priorities for the senior hurlers for the year, and clearly the league was not a priority this year. After going for the league all out the past 2 years they are trying a different approach of seeking to peak later in the summer, or so it appears to me.

I would think Derek's thinking when setting out the focus for the year is in targetting silverware and not what will benefit the county board financially. Which is the way it should be. McGrath will be judged by this summer's performances and achievements.

I dont know why people on here have an issue with a fundraiser for Waterford hurling in London. As far as I know nobody is forced to attend and forced to contribute financially, they want to help out. And from what I've heard most people enjoy the event
    (1) Affects preparation for upcoming club championships. I know the current management of senior team couldn't care less about this.
    (2) Failure to progress in the League means that the Co Board may lose at least 100,000 euro income. Will the trip to London raise 100,000 euro + ??
    (3) Finally SW1985 referring to posters here stated that the "board was a magnet for lunatics". What an idiotic post!!! There is a tradition in Waterford for years of branding those -who dare to challenge selectorial decisions- as lunatics and eccentrics and malcontents. This is what has left Waterford where it is, without a Senior Hurling All Ireland since 1959. We are not living in North Korea! By any chance is SW1985 a psychiatrist ? LOL

culbaire wrote: »
    (1) Affects preparation for upcoming club championships. I know the current management of senior team couldn't care less about this.
    (2) Failure to progress in the League means that the Co Board may lose at least 100,000 euro income. Will the trip to London raise 100,000 euro + ??
    (3) Finally SW1985 referring to posters here stated that the "board was a magnet for lunatics". What an idiotic post!!! There is a tradition in Waterford for years of branding those -who dare to challenge selectorial decisions- as lunatics and eccentrics and malcontents. This is what has left Waterford where it is, without a Senior Hurling All Ireland since 1959. We are not living in North Korea! By any chance is SW1985 a psychiatrist ? LOL

While I would agree that the fundraiser in London may affect some clubs preparations for upcoming games, with players attending the event in London, the structure of the senior club championship whereby the top 4 in both groups of 6 qualifies for quarter finals leaves plenty of room for error for any club with serious ambitions of making progress. I dont think any club would be blaming the fundraiser in London should they fail to make an impression on the championship this year.

I dont know the ins and outs of the financial impact of losing the quarter final of the league, but I would question whether your assertion that we would have gotten €100,000 for making a league semi final. Anyway, the priorities and focus of the senior team are set by management based on ambition to win trophies and not for financial reasons.

While I would agree that the fundraiser in London may affect some clubs preparations for upcoming games, with players attending the event in London, the structure of the senior club championship whereby the top 4 in both groups of 6 qualifies for quarter finals leaves plenty of room for error for any club with serious ambitions of making progress. I dont think any club would be blaming the fundraiser in London should they fail to make an impression on the championship this year.

I dont know the ins and outs of the financial impact of losing the quarter final of the league, but I would question whether your assertion that we would have gotten €100,000 for making a league semi final. Anyway, the priorities and focus of the senior team are set by management based on ambition to win trophies and not for financial reasons.

the county board fixed the start of the senior hurling championship with Derek Mcgraths blessing for the same weekends as the NHL semis and final but why start them so early ??. Were not playing in the munster championship til June 18th (in fact were the last team to kick off there 2017 championship). The qualifers (Round 1 July 1st and Round 2 July 8th) and Munster final is July 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

PTH2009 wrote: »
    the county board fixed the start of the senior hurling championship with Derek Mcgraths blessing for the same weekends as the NHL semis and final but why start them so early ??. Were not playing in the munster championship til June 18th (in fact were the last team to kick off there 2017 championship). The qualifers (Round 1 July 1st and Round 2 July 8th) and Munster final is July 9th

I think that says a lot. You don't see Kilkenny or Tipperary or football teams like Dublin or Kerry do thinggs like this. McGrath clearly did not want to progress past a quarter final. As an outsider looking in, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Django99 wrote: »
    I think that says a lot. You don't see Kilkenny or Tipperary or football teams like Dublin or Kerry do thinggs like this. McGrath clearly did not want to progress past a quarter final. As an outsider looking in, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Its not like this hasn't happened before, sure didn't we throw the league final in 2004 when Justin was in charge? Then went out the following week and annihilated Clare in the first round of the championship. I dont think Tipp or Kilkenny have exactly gone flat out for the league the last few years - though Tipp look like they want it this year.

Derek's standing and future in the job will be determined by how we do this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Its not like this hasn't happened before, sure didn't we throw the league final in 2004 when Justin was in charge? Then went out the following week and annihilated Clare in the first round of the championship. I dont think Tipp or Kilkenny have exactly gone flat out for the league the last few years - though Tipp look like they want it this year.

Derek's standing and future in the job will be determined by how we do this summer.

Theres a difference between not going flat out, and maybe trying a few things to see how they go. But to deliberately lose a game is something different.

Kilkenny might put out a second string team for a league game but I guarantee they are still trying to win that game. Players will be expected to give 100% effort and there'll be a game plan. This is done for a few reasons, to give players experience, to develop a Plan B, to test panel players and see can they compete in an important game. They're not thrown together with the intention of losing and to give them a run out. Tipperary the same. If they change the team significantly it's not because they want to lose. It's a measured approach to develop a panel.

That's not what Waterford did. A second string was put out and by the looks of it given no game plan with the intention of losing the game. When it looked like they would win, changes were made that were never going to benefit the team. Kilkenny or Tipperary would never do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fieldcow

Theres a difference between not going flat out, and maybe trying a few things to see how they go. But to deliberately lose a game is something different.
    That's not what Waterford did. A second string was put out and by the looks of it given no game plan with the intention of losing the game. When it looked like they would win, changes were made that were never going to benefit the team. Kilkenny or Tipperary would never do that.

That is very revisionist and, to be honest, reads like you didn't watch the match. Waterford's second-string dominated Galway's championship fifteen for the majority of the match. No one could watch that performance and say the Waterford players went out to lose.
    Players will be expected to give 100% effort and there'll be a game plan. This is done for a few reasons, to give players experience, to develop a Plan B, to test panel players and see can they compete in an important game.

Valid point, but I really fail to see how that doesn't apply to what Waterford did last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fowlerDgrowler

100,000 lol, don't become an Accountant anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Kilkenny might put out a second string team for a league game but I guarantee they are still trying to win that game. Players will be expected to give 100% effort and there'll be a game plan. This is done for a few reasons, to give players experience, to develop a Plan B, to test panel players and see can they compete in an important game. They're not thrown together with the intention of losing and to give them a run out. Tipperary the same. If they change the team significantly it's not because they want to lose. It's a measured approach to develop a panel.

What are you talking about? They were ten points up and the tide started to turn so they brought on their championship team essentially. How is that throwing a game?

My starting 15 for the munster semi final is

Soky

Shane Fives
    Connor Gleeson
    Noel Connors

TDB
    Darragh Fives (Will have to prove himself fit in the club championships)
    Philip Mahony (will have too prove himself fit too)

Jamie Barron
    Aussie Gleeson

Kevin Moran
    Pauric Mahony
    Brick Walsh

Shane Bennett
    Stephen Bennett
    Maurice Shannahan

• Advertisement

100,000 lol, don't become an Accountant anyway!!
    The board received €205,975 from National League gate receipts in 2016. Highly unlikely to get anything like that in 2017.

The board received €205,975 from National League gate receipts in 2016. Highly unlikely to get anything like that in 2017.

And half that was from a semi final? Lol, I presume the bulk came from their home ties

And half that was from a semi final? Lol, I presume the bulk came from their home ties
    Where did I mention semi final? You did that. This was the relevant part of my post "Failure to progress in the League means that the Co Board may lose at least 100,000 euro income. Will the trip to London raise 100,000 euro + ??" Also note the use of the word may.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Fair play, a bit of praise for Derek from you at last. He was the manager for the last two league finals which the money your talking about resulted from, was he not. All we now need now are the four mystery men that only you know and we will win the All Ireland.

Where did I mention semi final? You did that. This was the relevant part of my post "Failure to progress in the League means that the Co Board may lose at least 100,000 euro income. Will the trip to London raise 100,000 euro + ??" Also note the use of the word may.

It has no basis and is a unsustainable comment, just searching for another stick to beat up McGrath with. Sad really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

with how close ye came to win league and make all ireland last year i doubt the board are bothered about the league , regssrdles of the financial situation

It has no basis and is a unsustainable comment, just searching for another stick to beat up McGrath with. Sad really
    Face facts. You just dont like them. Exiting too early from the League will cost Waterford Co Board dearly. McGrath was not slow to rubbish the achievements of the U-21 team. We know he is very thin skinned as evidenced by some of his comments.

Deiseland wrote: »
    Cascade12 It's easy for him to hide behind a keyboard, if he values his opinions he should share THE FAMOUS FOUR for the rest of us to give our opinion. I can remember you naming a team December 2 years ago and that was nearly the team that started championship with a few debutants that most had never heard of.
    Maybe you will post under your real name? I see the McGrath supporters have rushed to man the barricades. Deal with the issue at hand!! Adopting diversionary tactics are we?

Cascade12 It's easy for him to hide behind a keyboard, if he values his opinions he should share THE FAMOUS FOUR for the rest of us to give our opinion. I can remember you naming a team December 2 years ago and that was nearly the team that started championship with a few debutants that most had never heard of.
    You cant remember me naming a team. I have never named a team here.
    More concocted stuff!! The issue is the financial implications for Waterford Co Board! Deal with it and stop trying to introduce red herrings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 Deiseland

Maybe you will post under your real name? I see the McGrath supporters have rushed to man the barricades. Deal with the issue at hand!! Adopting diversionary tactics are we?

There is plenty of us Mcgrath supporters on here.looking at your posts I'd say everything is negative in your head. If we were to win an all Ireland you'd still find negativity in it.

cascade12 wrote: »
    Fair play, a bit of praise for Derek from you at last. He was the manager for the last two league finals which the money your talking about resulted from, was he not. All we now need now are the four mystery men that only you know and we will win the All Ireland.
    Still not as much as a Munster Senior Hurling title under Derek McGrath!

There is plenty of us Mcgrath supporters on here.looking at your posts I'd say everything is negative in your head. If we were to win an all Ireland you'd still find negativity in it.

Never said you named it read the post. Mr negative

When do you anticipate that eventuality happening ?

You cant remember me naming a team. I have never named a team here.
    More concocted stuff!! The issue is the financial implications for Waterford Co Board! Deal with it and stop trying to introduce red herrings.
    Have you anything to say about the financial windfalls of the last two years and Derek Mcgrath's contribution to it, seeing that it seems to be his fault we are not going to get one this year. Deiseland has you rattled and I doubt he is talking about a team that you named since all your energies are reserved for attacking our manager. Time for you to give it a break now and concentrate on supporting our County team.

Never said you named it read the post. Mr negative
    Read your own post: You dont even know what your posted: Here it is:
    Originally Posted by Deiseland View Post

QED

What does this mean? You posted this: "I can remember you naming a team December 2 years ago and that was nearly the team that started championship with a few debutants that most had never heard of"

A Fantasy! You alleged that I posted a team here. It was a concoction on your part.

• Advertisement

Have you anything to say about the financial windfalls of the last two years and Derek Mcgrath's contribution to it, seeing that it seems to be his fault we are not going to get one this year. Deiseland has you rattled and I doubt he is talking about a team that you named since all your energies are reserved for attacking our manager. Time for you to give it a break now and concentrate on supporting our County team.

Well said cascade. There is some sh.t been posted here by him and as for the 4 players. I'd say there juveniles and 10 years away from a minor or senior team.

Face facts. You just dont like them. Exiting too early from the League will cost Waterford Co Board dearly. McGrath was not slow to rubbish the achievements of the U-21 team. We know he is very thin skinned as evidenced by some of his comments.

But your willing to stick by your original assessment that this is to the tune of €100k or are you willing to remove the hyperbole?

Read your own post: You dont even know what your posted: Here it is:
    Originally Posted by Deiseland View Post

QED

What does this mean? You posted this: "I can remember you naming a team December 2 years ago and that was nearly the team that started championship with a few debutants that most had never heard of"

A Fantasy! You alleged that I posted a team here. It was a concoction on your part.

Who did I address in the post opening line, now do us all a favour and crawl in under the rock you crawled out from underneath

I will continue to criticise Derek McGrath when I deem it necessary. My criticisms are mild in comparison with the criticism around the county. There was no huge windfall in 2015. McGrath rubbished the achievements of the u-21 team. Not bad at criticism himself!

Child I wont take dicatation from you!

I wouldn't class that as dictation. Just a thought on what I'd do if I were you

• Advertisement

I wouldn't class that as dictation. Just a thought on what I'd do if I were you
    You wont shut me up! Period! Maybe you would prefer bury your head in the sand rather than face reality. Just a thought on what you should do!

When do you anticipate that eventuality happening ?

When you tell Derek and Dan the 4 names

When you tell Derek and Dan the 4 names
    The McGrath apologists keep throwing in this red herring. When are you going to discuss the financial implications of the early exit from the League? Diversionary tactics wont work. McGrath has a CLOSED MIND Period.

The McGrath apologists keep throwing in this red herring. When are you going to discuss the financial implications of the early exit from the League? Diversionary tactics wont work. McGrath has a CLOSED MIND Period.
    I think if you look back over the posts that you will find that it was you who threw in that particular red herring. The financial implications would be much the same as they would have been the last two years if the Mcgrath managed team had not progressed to two League finals. I dont remember you coming on here talking about the financial windfalls for the County board then, maybe because you might have to give Derek a bit of praise if you did. Anyway, getting back to the four players .....

Is this the red herring you are talking about. I refer you back to a post you made on the fifth of February.

I am not related to anybody dropped off the panel. Period!! I know McGrath is very sensitive about criticism. I stand by may posts. I campaigned against the ruck and maul bastardised hurling style favoured by Derek McGrath and by some others.It took the U21s to show how it should be done. Cheapshots about the Vauxhall Conference dont alter reality. I could name at least four players who are better than those chosen on the team. To name them is to reduce further their chances of ever being chosen under this regime. Not just my view either. Hurling experts from outside of the county have seen several of them play and are amazed that they cant make the Waterford panel.

Is this the red herring you are talking about. I refer you back to a post you made on the fifth of February.

I am not related to anybody dropped off the panel. Period!! I know McGrath is very sensitive about criticism. I stand by may posts. I campaigned against the ruck and maul bastardised hurling style favoured by Derek McGrath and by some others.It took the U21s to show how it should be done. Cheapshots about the Vauxhall Conference dont alter reality. I could name at least four players who are better than those chosen on the team. To name them is to reduce further their chances of ever being chosen under this regime. Not just my view either. Hurling experts from outside of the county have seen several of them play and are amazed that they cant make the Waterford panel.
    I stand by the substance of that post. No red herrings there. It is really getting to you. Thank you for keeping me awake as I do my nights work LOL!

I stand by the substance of that post. No red herrings there. It is really getting to you. Thank you for keeping me awake as I do my nights work LOL!
    Not getting to me at all. I am merely pointing out that you are the person that made the point about the four players that should be on the team. Nobody else is throwing in a red herring. You did not rate a League title as an achievement when we won it a couple of years ago and now you are making a big deal about not reaching a semi final because of financial implications. You harbour a serious resentment towards Derek Mcgrath and you need to get over it. It is unhealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

I heard the u17s are playing this week. Anyone know when and if a team has been announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bluelad1

I must say that was an excellently worded statement from Tom Devine...You'd swear it was written by someone with alot of time on their hands, always in the media and who is used to writing or correcting English.
    It's a shame this person didn't seem it important to write a statement for the other player who recently left the panel or the selector who quit. Maybe he was too busy on Newstalk or indeed planning the piss up to London 6 days before the club championship begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bluelad1

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    I heard the u17s are playing this week. Anyone know when and if a team has been announced?

Under 17 on Easter Monday in Ennis

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement