Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread - **MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

bluelad1 wrote: »
    I must say that was an excellently worded statement from Tom Devine...You'd swear it was written by someone with alot of time on their hands, always in the media and who is used to writing or correcting English.
    It's a shame this person didn't seem it important to write a statement for the other player who recently left the panel or the selector who quit. Maybe he was too busy on Newstalk or indeed planning the piss up to London 6 days before the club championship begins.

It's posts like yours that made them feel it was necessary to release a statement. It was a completely excessive act, but caused by the rush to criticize management no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I must say that was an excellently worded statement from Tom Devine...You'd swear it was written by someone with alot of time on their hands, always in the media and who is used to writing or correcting English.
    It's a shame this person didn't seem it important to write a statement for the other player who recently left the panel or the selector who quit. Maybe he was too busy on Newstalk or indeed planning the piss up to London 6 days before the club championship begins.

I read in the local papers that McGrath said the selector left due to personal reasons.
    The player that left was only there to make numbers for a match in training. He is no loss to the set up. Devine on the other hand is a massive loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bluelad1

I read in the local papers that McGrath said the selector left due to personal reasons.
    The player that left was only there to make numbers for a match in training. He is no loss to the set up. Devine on the other hand is a massive loss.
    Oh ya he really left for personal reasons alright!! Just eventually realised he had as much say in the team as the bus driver.
    Gavin O Brien is a decent hurler and fine young man...trained his club minors last year I think and is extremely well liked in BCS so please keep your snide personal comments to yourself

It's posts like yours that made them feel it was necessary to release a statement. It was a completely excessive act, but caused by the rush to criticize management no matter what.

No need whatsoever to release the statement. The dogs on the street knew Tom was going away with months. And certainly it's pathetic to write a statement which makes yourself look great while pretending Tom wrote it. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Isn't Devine studying medicine in UCC? I'm sure he is well able to write a statement like that himself.

Deiseen wrote: »
    Isn't Devine studying medicine in UCC? I'm sure he is well able to write a statement like that himself.

There's not a hope in hell that the semi retired one didn't write that statement..time we stayed out of the media now for christ sake

There's far too much about Waterford in the media over the last number of weeks...time to shut up talking crap and concentrate on championship.

Agree with you there but coming on here and saying McGrath wrote that statement is unfair on Tom Devine.

Anyway any word on a new selector. Someone with a different philosophy to McGrath on how to play the game would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

or indeed planning the piss up to London 6 days before the club championship begins.[/quote]

How was this allowed to happen. Absolute disgrace. Clubs are without their players all year and the weekend before club championship a weekend to London is organised. Shows a total lack of respect to the club championship by players management and fundraising committee.
    No coincidence I suppose that it was organised at the start of the Easter holidays for all our teachers on the panel. This is why I'm afraid the CPA will struggle. No matter what the majority of players on inter county squads don't care enough about their clubs to to go against the inter county manager if it could cost them a place on the team.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

How was this allowed to happen. Absolute disgrace. Clubs are without their players all year and the weekend before club championship a weekend to London is organised. Shows a total lack of respect to the club championship by players management and fundraising committee. No coincidence I suppose that it was organised at the start of the Easter holidays for all our teachers on the panel. This is why I'm afraid the CPA will struggle. No matter what the majority of players on inter county squads don't care enough about their clubs to to go against the inter county manager if it could cost them a place on the team.

I think it was only a handful of the players that went over , it certainly wasn't the full panel . Players only going back to their clubs this week as they were training a couple of nights in Walsh park last week . People losing their minds over a fund raiser , goes on in every county and players take part .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Jesus Christ lads. Davy Fitz was less divisive than this when he was with us.

Not a huge fan of McGraths tactics at times but the sheer level of anger in the criticism here is beyond belief.

The man is putting his best into the county for nothing more than the love of the Jersey, you might not agree with everything (i don't) but a minimum level of respect and manners are required.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've had to clean up a lot of borderline posts here. Firstly, we do not tolerate rumours or speculation, nor do we allow abuse of players/managers. Open discussion is absolutely fine, but a lot of stuff here was borderline

If you have a problem with a post, report it instead of replying to it and continuing the off topic rubbish. Our actions will not be instantaneous, our mod team are all volunteers and aren't online 24/7. Little patience is appreciated when you report it, but we would ask in order to make our roles a little easier, report it and don't respond to it

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

I think it was only a handful of the players that went over , it certainly wasn't the full panel . Players only going back to their clubs this week as they were training a couple of nights in Walsh park last week . People losing their minds over a fund raiser , goes on in every county and players take part .

That some players went to London for a fundraiser is not the point. the fact that a week before championship, when players should be preparing with their club mates they felt it was ok to go to London for the weekend on the piss is the issue for me.
    If a non intercounty player told a club manager he was going to London on the piss a week before championship when they've known for months the game was fixed for that weekend how do you think he'd be treated ? If a club held a fundraiser the weekend before intercounty championship where players were off drinking there would be uproar. And the players would not go as they know there would be consequences from intercounty manager.
    Whoever organised this fundraiser has shown a total lack of respect to the clubs and so have the players that went. Clubs being treated as 5th class citizens

Far more than a handful went to London and they would have been much better off playing with their clubs like the kilkenny players did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

culbaire wrote: »
    I will continue to criticise Derek McGrath when I deem it necessary. My criticisms are mild in comparison with the criticism around the county. There was no huge windfall in 2015. McGrath rubbished the achievements of the u-21 team. Not bad at criticism himself!

He didn't rubbish their achievements he merely pointed out that the connection between U21 success and Senior success is non-existent, its has zero relevance, he happens to be 100% correct in this regard.
    culbaire wrote: »
    Still not as much as a Munster Senior Hurling title under Derek McGrath!

Are you trying to argue that Waterford are better than Tipp, if so then the dose of reality that McGrath was talking about seems apt.

Waterford under McGrath have pretty much been exactly where they aught to be with a couple of exceptions either way, they have had one major under performance and at least one where they punched above their weight. Waterford hadn't won a Munster title in the previous regime either and infact have 9 in 130 years.
    cascade12 wrote: »
    I could name at least four players who are better than those chosen on the team. To name them is to reduce further their chances of ever being chosen under this regime.

Picking a championship team is not about picking the 15 best players, what ever that even means, taking Tipp as an example again do you really believe that Dan McCormack or even Seamus Kennedy are in the best 15 players in Tipp, its about a lot more than hurling ability, application and attitude, physical attributes etc. and of course the correct balance is needed. 15 skillful flashy players will win fcuk all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

with Iggy playing 4 out of our 6 league games this year do u think he will get the nod to start on June 18th ???

btw the match will be in Thurles even if it is Tipp, PUC wont be ready to host a match til the munster final

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    He didn't rubbish their achievements he merely pointed out that the connection between U21 success and Senior success is non-existent, its has zero relevance, he happens to be 100% correct in this regard.

Are you trying to argue that Waterford are better than Tipp, if so then the dose of reality that McGrath was talking about seems apt.

Waterford under McGrath have pretty much been exactly where they aught to be with a couple of exceptions either way, they have had one major under performance and at least one where they punched above their weight. Waterford hadn't won a Munster title in the previous regime either and infact have 9 in 130 years.

Picking a championship team is not about picking the 15 best players, what ever that even means, taking Tipp as an example again do you really believe that Dan McCormack or even Seamus Kennedy are in the best 15 players in Tipp, its about a lot more than hurling ability, application and attitude, physical attributes etc. and of course the correct balance is needed. 15 skillful flashy players will win fcuk all.

Agreed on a lot of fronts, but It was stupidity for McGrath to compare the 21s to the Vauxhall Conference. He could have made the point without the hyperbole and should have known it would not be met well by anybody, especially his detractors.

That said, it was said and criticized and that should be the end of it. People bringing it up at every opportunity need to get a life. He's given 11 of them a chance with Waterford this year and of the 4 that didn't 2 have long term injuries. He obviously rates the players on that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Waterford under McGrath have pretty much been exactly where they aught to be with a couple of exceptions either way, they have had one major under performance and at least one where they punched above their weight. Waterford hadn't won a Munster title in the previous regime either and infact have 9 in 130 years...

(1) Comparing it to the Vauxhall Conference amounts to rubbishing it. Period. That's the reality whether you like it or not!
    (2) The previous regime did not got the same length of time as Derek McGrath.
    (3) Davy Fitzgerald with an old Waterford team won a Munster title.
    (4) Tipperary has fifteen players on the field of play. They are very skilful but not unbeatable. Do you think Brian Cody-who at present has a big job on hands to rebuild Kilkenny- would bend the knee to Tipperary in public? You must be joking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

PTH2009 wrote: »
    with Iggy playing 4 out of our 6 league games this year do u think he will get the nod to start on June 18th ???

btw the match will be in Thurles even if it is Tipp, PUC wont be ready to host a match til the munster final

Hope you're right. No offence to Limerick people but the Gaelic Grounds is a dump - so too was the old Pairc Ui Chaoimh (if there's a chance on that ground being ready, the Cork co board might make it available rather than wait for Munster final, i.e. for the extra few bob).

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

Any predictions for the first round this weekend? Any shocks on the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fowlerDgrowler

Lol! You think Tom Devine is willing to release a statement that was written for him! That's delusional

• Advertisement

Lol! You think Tom Devine is willing to release a statement that was written for him! That's delusional

You're even more delusional to think Derek didn't write it!! Full of his buzzwords!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Not a huge fan of McGraths tactics at times but the sheer level of anger in the criticism here is beyond belief.

The man is putting his best into the county for nothing more than the love of the Jersey, you might not agree with everything (i don't) but a minimum level of respect and manners are required.
    Its always been the same. In fact I cannot think back to a single manager that certain Waterford public didn't crib about.  Back as far as Justin McCarthy, Davy Fitz, Skully Ryan and now Derek McGrath. Its boring at this stage. At least with outside managers we had none of this 'pet' and only 'picking him because of his club' nonsense. But people will always point to the manager as excuses for us not winning an AI. It was Justins fault in 07', Davy Fitz in 08'. Skully took us backwards and now people are ready to hammer Derek Mac if we don't win it in the next year or 2.
    The abuse of McGrath though has been on a different level, Ive never witnessed anything like it. Some of it personal and vile like we've seen above. you've people insinuating that he wrote a statement that praises himself. Its getting ridiculous some of the theories, I wonder if some people actually really believe the crap they are posting

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Anyone care to talk about the upcoming County championship games the weekend, instead of petty arguments?

Who is going to put it up to Ballygunner this season or is it simply their's to lose?

Lot of new faces on the sidelines for a lot of teams.

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Its always been the same. In fact I cannot think back to a single manager that certain Waterford public didn't crib about.  Back as far as Justin McCarthy, Davy Fitz, Skully Ryan and now Derek McGrath. Its boring at this stage. At least with outside managers we had none of this 'pet' and only 'picking him because of his club' nonsense. But people will always point to the manager as excuses for us not winning an AI. It was Justins fault in 07', Davy Fitz in 08'. Skully took us backwards and now people are ready to hammer Derek Mac if we don't win it in the next year or 2.
    The abuse of McGrath though has been on a different level, Ive never witnessed anything like it. Some of it personal and vile like we've seen above. you've people insinuating that he wrote a statement that praises himself. Its getting ridiculous some of the theories, I wonder if some people actually really believe the crap they are posting

I'm not insinuating anything at all...I'm saying it's a fact Derek wrote the statement. There was no need to release any statement...just shows the obsession with media that exists

I'm not insinuating anything at all...I'm saying it's a fact Derek wrote the statement. There was no need to release any statement...just shows the obsession with media that exists
    So you do believe your own crap. Thanks for clarifying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

The player that left was only there to make numbers for a match in training. He is no loss to the set up.

That's a terrible comment to make. Gavin has been part of the panel since 2012 & did his bit whenever he was called upon. I thought he was excellent in his first season and for whatever reason he just didn't feature in McGrath's plans - like a few decent players. To say he's no loss is just plain wrong and it's a nasty comment to pass about someone who gave a huge amount of time and effort for Waterford. I really don't think it's fair for anyone to say that about a player on the panel whether they are on the starting 15 or just on the match day extended panel. I'm not a Roanmore man, far from it, but I respect what he's given for Waterford and he doesn't deserve comments like that.

And by the way, yes he is a loss to the set up. You're forgetting that a lot of these lads are very good friends away from the panel and Gavin would have been a positive influence on a lot of lads. Iggy has been sub keeper for a few years now and if he was to walk away in the morning I'm sure people would say he's no loss to the set up. What people don't know is that Iggy is probably the most respected player on the panel and I think he's the players "representative" on the panel (someone more in the know might correct me on this if I'm mistaken). Every single one of the players on the panel bring their own qualities to the set up. Whether it's leadership, humour etc. They all bring something so you're actually wrong on every aspect of that rubbish comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone care to talk about the upcoming County championship games the weekend, instead of petty arguments?

Who is going to put it up to Ballygunner this season or is it simply their's to lose?

Lot of new faces on the sidelines for a lot of teams.

unless a few clubs improve on there form last year than Ballygunner could win it handy. DLS and Mount Sion are not the teams they were and seem to be struggling, Dungarvan are good on paper but always seem to fall short, Passage, Fourmilewater and Abbeyside can be hot and cold. Roanmore, Tallow, Ballyduff Lower and Portlaw are not good enough too go all the way but can cause problems for teams. be interesting to see will Lismore bring there 2016 form into the senior championship

Fact is ATM waterford senior clubs dont have the ability to challenge for Munster and All Ireland titles. Ballygunner have the strenght too challenge for prov honors but like last year cant get over the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Who would be the main young prospects making their first (or second) year at senior for each of the clubs, to keep an eye out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Its hard to see past Ballygunnar again and I think the only club with the panel to challenge are Dungarvan, but they need big improvements from the last few years where they have under performed - this will be a big year for them.

JesusRef wrote: »
    Its hard to see past Ballygunnar again and I think the only club with the panel to challenge are Dungarvan, but they need big improvements from the last few years where they have under performed - this will be a big year for them.
    Whose managing them this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

where have you been for the last 15 years?

The Current Waterford manager has a young family yet he has decided not to work. Do you think he is signing on and living off that?

Can you tell me what the previous Waterford Clare and now Wexford manager did for a living during the years he has been coaching?

There is nothing nefarious whatsoever about what they are doing but the gaa needs to get a grip on the amounts of money being spent on managers.

Shortening the intercounty season is a critical step in reeling in the spend on intercounty sides.

The second step would be a requirement that payments to all individuals who are not players would have to be put in the annual accounts as a direct sum of money rather than the current situation which allows a lump sum to be displayed. This would have the effect of forcing county boards to cook their books in a very open forum if they were of a mind to do so.
    They should also outlaw supporters clubs that do not publish accounts as was the case in Clare for the last five years

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

There's not a hope in hell that the semi retired one didn't write that statement..time we stayed out of the media now for christ sake

there are a few of you on here that are gone off the wall with rage

So you do believe your own crap. Thanks for clarifying that.

You're really need to wake up if you think Derek didn't write that statement...his obsession with the media is far too much...as I said earlier it's time to start concentrating on tipperary and stop giving constant interviews

JesusRef wrote: »

Think dungarvan are slipping back a good bit tbh...dls should be much better this year..stronger panel and a happier camp

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Think dungarvan are slipping back a good bit tbh...dls should be much better this year..stronger panel and a happier camp

Thats a shame about Dungarvan - I thought they would damage but they may have too many of the same type of forward.

I discounted DLS based on the last few years, they certainly have the panel if they have got their act together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

If you actually believe that why did you have to open a new account to post your anti McGrath rhetoric?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Might want to read his statement
    his statement was not going to be anything other than polite and gracious ,but the way i see it is ,he may as well go off on a holiday ,he is busting his balls training and then has to sit out every match while he looks on at the unfolding chaos that is Mc Grath.s brand of hurling ,watching many non scoring forwards get in ahead of him ,he will not get a game ahead of the Brick ,he knows it ,mc Grath knows it ,so its off to the sunshine

If you actually believe that why did you have to open a new account to post your anti McGrath rhetoric?

What's point are you trying to make?? I saw something happen which I felt was wrong and basically pathetic really so I decided to post my opinion and in order to do so I had to create an account. Again I fail to see your point

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

What's point are you trying to make?? I saw something happen which I felt was wrong and basically pathetic really so I decided to post my opinion and in order to do so I had to create an account. Again I fail to see your point

Don't let the bullies get to you lad.

Anyone who knows anything about what's going on in the camp knows that the whole thing is falling apart.

Pretty fed up with the subterfuge going on here.

Big meeting on the Monday night after the Cork game when Philip Murphy was told to sling his hook because he challenged McGrath to try to play a more positive game.

McGrath likes to talk a good game but just imagine if it was any of the previous Waterford managers in the last twenty years who couldn't hold on to a selector for longer than one season.

Anyone tuned in around the town knows that McGrath's latest ravings over the past month on the media are designed to position himself for a job next year out of Croke Park.
    This guy hasn't confidence in himself not to mind trying to having what it takes to bring a team with him.

Keep on posting lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Sorry just wondering how do you know magrath wrote the statement ? Like is that official cos i find it hard to believe that devine would give the go ahead for it.There was a need to release a statement because there would be fellas on here coming up with crazy reasons for him leaving panel if a statement wasn't given.hes a big loss though cos when he gets his first touch right hes hard man to stop

Deise Gael wrote: »

Anyone who knows anything about what's going on in the camp knows that the whole thing is falling apart.

Big meeting on the Monday night after the Cork game when Philip Murphy was told to sling his hook because he challenged McGrath to try to play a more positive game.

McGrath likes to talk a good game but just imagine if it was any of the previous Waterford managers in the last twenty years who couldn't hold on to a selector for longer than one season.

Anyone tuned in around the town knows that McGrath's latest ravings over the past month on the media are designed to position himself for a job next year out of Croke Park.
    This guy hasn't confidence in himself not to mind trying to having what it takes to bring a team with him.

Keep on posting lad.

The turnover in selectors and members of backroom team over last 4 years is something that would make you wonder what's going on in the squad....

Keep on posting lad.

And what job would that be. Would it be Martin Fogartys job cause he would have to resign up in Croke Park as he will be too busy training Ballygunner, like you said earlier in the year. How many sessions has Fogarty and Tommy Dunne done with the gunners by the way?

On Philip Murphy challenging McGrath to play a more positive game, I highly doubt that. The Roanmore teams he trained were even more defensive than Waterford under McGrath. We need someone like Paul Flynn as a selector. Someone who would get us playing attacking hurling. If only.

debok wrote: »
    Sorry just wondering how do you know magrath wrote the statement ? Like is that official cos i find it hard to believe that devine would give the go ahead for it.There was a need to release a statement because there would be fellas on here coming up with crazy reasons for him leaving panel if a statement wasn't given.hes a big loss though cos when he gets his first touch right hes hard man to stop
    I'm not telling you here how I know but I'm telling you its fact Derek wrote it and anyone who knows him can see Derek's phrases all through it. I'm sorry there was no need to release a statement as it's fairly common knowledge Tom had this in mind since Christmas. Tom is an independent free spirited kind of fella too so nobody would have read anything sinister into it.

I'm sorry there was no need to release a statement as it's fairly common knowledge Tom had this in mind since Christmas. Tom is an independent free spirited kind of fella too so nobody would have read anything sinister into it.

Clearly not the case reading this forum though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I'm not telling you here how I know but I'm telling you its fact Derek wrote it and anyone who knows him can see Derek's phrases all through it. I'm sorry there was no need to release a statement as it's fairly common knowledge Tom had this in mind since Christmas. Tom is an independent free spirited kind of fella too so nobody would have read anything sinister into it.
    Fair enough but I just find it hard to believe that tom being the type of character ya said he is would let someone else speak for him. Fair play to him I think hes dead right to go travel if thats how he feels.id say there is alot of fellas who give there best years to hurling regret not going off for a while.

• Advertisement

debok wrote: »
    Fair enough but I just find it hard to believe that tom being the type of character ya said he is would let someone else speak for him. Fair play to him I think hes dead right to go travel if thats how he feels.id say there is alot of fellas who give there best years to hurling regret not going off for a while.

Tom wouldn't see the need to issue a statement

Keep on posting lad.
    Lol, Murphy was axed as the west contingent didn't like him!! Please state facts!!

Tom wouldn't see the need to issue a statement

So Tom Devine is such a weak character he would allow a statement to be written on his behalf and release it!!

Waterford players have proven before that they are willing to oust a manager if they deem that they are not worthy of the position. Who can blame them based on the level of commitment they need to give and sacrifices they make.

Thus it is evident that McGrath has the backing of the the team whether you like or not.

The turnover in selectors and members of backroom team over last 4 years is something that would make you wonder what's going on in the squad....

Selector turnover is quite common annually on every intercounty team

Selector turnover is quite common annually on every intercounty team

Selector turnover after 3 years maybe ...not 5 months or 1 year...what about turnover of volunteer members of backroom team????

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement