Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose pruning

Options
  • 28-03-2017 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice about what to do about a too tall rose plant. We just moved into the house in November last and now the weather has improved I'm starting to think about the garden. There is a very tall plant which I think is a rose of some kind (I'm completely new to any sort of gardening) and I suspect it needs to be cut back.

The plant is about 10ft high is in very much bending over on itself and blowing about in the wind. I assume if it keeps growing like this it will eventually break.

What I'd like to know is how I go about pruning it back? Should I only cut off the worse of the bend for now or should I go straight in and cut it back to a manageable height. I can't see any sort of buds but the top of the plant has leaves.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Cut it immediately to whatever height you like and feed it after. Might spray as well for black spot in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

griffzinho wrote: »
    Cut it immediately to whatever height you like and feed it after. Might spray as well for black spot in a few weeks.

Thanks for your advice. I'll have a go this weekend so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Put up a photo so we can establish that it is in fact a rose :)

Advertisement