Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I stand with landlord?

Options
  • 28-03-2017 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,
    So I left the country for a month and the rent was due just before I left. I paid for the months rent I was gone and the landlord also wanted me to pay 50 for bills but I said I would be gone for the month. I come back and now he wants 100, for the bills for the month I was gone and the next month(which is fair). I moved in on november. Where do I stand if I argue with him, can he just kick me out?
    The bills are on pre-paid meters if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does the landlord also live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

You'd still be liable to pay for electricity/gas/internet, as they are being used/paid whether you're there or not. If the prepaid amounts seem excessive to normal I'd consider querying it, but to be honest I think you should pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If it's a prepaid meter then surely it shouldn't run up anything if there is no-one there.

Unless you are a licensee in which case you have a share of bills regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Its a shared house and the landlord does not live there. I guess I have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Maybe I'm mistaken,and probably am,but I though the whole idea/advantage with prepay meters is that the tenants themselves top it up as needed?
    This sounds like the landlord collects £50 euro from each tenant and then tops it up by that total collected amount for the month which doesn't seem quite kosher to me.
    What if it builds up credit,does he just pocket the money himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

fiload wrote: »
    Its a shared house and the landlord does not live there. I guess I have to pay?

Depends on what is in your lease, if it mentions bills, you must pay.

TBH it sounds reasonable enough, 50 euros doesn't really sound excessive when you consider refuse, TV licenses, common areas, the radiator in your room (did you turn it off), etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Prepaid metres still have a daily standard charge. Can't remember how much it is but I was away for 6 weeks last year and when I returned had to top up approx €70 just to clear the DR Balance that had accrued in the time I was away. I would suspect something similar here. I will see if I can find the current standard charges.

OP who is your prepay provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Prepaid metres still have a daily standard charge. Can't remember how much it is but I was away for 6 weeks last year and when I returned had to top up approx €70 just to clear the DR Balance that had accrued in the time I was away. I would suspect something similar here. I will see if I can find the current standard charges.

It's a shared house though, so his housemates were there. The landlord doesn't live there, so who involved him, OP?

Advertisement