Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skerries train 2017

Options
  • 28-03-2017 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

We're in the process of buying a house in Skerries. Just wanted to ask if it's usual to get a seat on the train to Tara st on weekday mornings between 7.30am and 8.30am. Also coming out of town to Skerries boarding at Tara st station between 5pm and 6pm.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

In my experience in the morning train usually full or very near on leaving Balbriggan. In the evening train tends to be standing only after Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

That's a hard one to answer, and is very seasonal - i.e. when the college students are off, it probably adds about 20% to capacity. And I reckon that impacts about 30% of the year, especially June-end Sept. So for the remaining 70% of the year, here is my experience:
    7.45am Skerries to Connolly (limited stops). You have about a 90% chance of getting a seat. 8am to Bray, about 5% chance of getting a seat. 7.35am to Bray, 70%
    In the evenings: 5.34pm 0% chance, 5.57pm 10% chance. Don't know about the earlier ones. If a seat was important, I would suggest grabbing a train back to Pearse. You will increase your chances on that 5.34 to about 25% (it starts in Bray), and to about 90% for that 5.57pm. A lot of seats become available at the Dublin end of the trains at Malahide and even more @ Donabate.
    Hope that helps a little. I aim for the 6.40pm fast train most evenings, as you are about 95% guaranteed a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

EmmaL1980 wrote: »
    Hi,

We're in the process of buying a house in Skerries. Just wanted to ask if it's usual to get a seat on the train to Tara st on weekday mornings between 7.30am and 8.30am. Also coming out of town to Skerries boarding at Tara st station between 5pm and 6pm.

Thanks for your help.

Depending on where your new house is, but you might consider the 33X (5 services morning and evening to Stephen's Green (a.m.) and p.m. from Custom House Quay). Takes between less than an hour and a bit more than an hour depending on which one you pick. I never have a problem getting a seat - it gets jammers at Lusk. Worth a look. PS: Welcome to Skerries!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hammy007

EmmaL1980 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for your help.

The 5:33 pm from Tara towards Drogheda is usually jammers. You're better off trying to walk to Pearse if you can, as you'll have a better standing spot, and a better chance of catching a seat. During school breaks you can usually find a seat, but most of the time it's hard to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hope I don't sound facetious but why would getting a seat be important to people on a short train journey (leaving aside those with a disability, ill health, pregnancy etc.) I would just presume that there are no seats anyway. Even when they are available I'd prefer to let others use them.

• Advertisement

Hope I don't sound facetious but why would getting a seat be important to people on a short train journey (leaving aside those with a disability, ill health, pregnancy etc.) I would just presume that there are no seats anyway. Even when they are available I'd prefer to let others use them.

Because commuting is draining, quite simply, and a lot of people have different reasons for wanting to sit. In my situation, I walk for 20 minutes to get to the train station in the morning, stand on the train for a half hour, and then walk another 20 minutes to work (and do it all the opposite going home at the end of the day). At work I have a fair amount of physical labor. While I'm young and theoretically can stand, by the end of the day I'm exhausted and just want to sit down. 1/2 hour standing on a crowded train is a long time, at least for me, and I find it uncomfortable trying to balance myself, or being squished and pushed by strangers. But maybe that's just me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hammy007 wrote: »
    Because commuting is draining, quite simply, and a lot of people have different reasons for wanting to sit. In my situation, I walk for 20 minutes to get to the train station in the morning, stand on the train for a half hour, and then walk another 20 minutes to work (and do it all the opposite going home at the end of the day). At work I have a fair amount of physical labor. While I'm young and theoretically can stand, by the end of the day I'm exhausted and just want to sit down. 1/2 hour standing on a crowded train is a long time, at least for me, and I find it uncomfortable trying to balance myself, or being squished and pushed by strangers. But maybe that's just me :D
    Fair enough - I usually cycle anyway so always guaranteed a seat then! :D

Fair enough - I usually cycle anyway so always guaranteed a seat then! :D

You're brave! I don't think I'd ever have the courage to cycle around the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EmmaL1980

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Don't know if this helps, but there's 2 trains that start in Connolly that you should definitely get a seat on if you're not jumping on last minute. They're the 17.07 and the 18.40.

You should usually get a seat on the 7.21 in the morning if you're able to get there a bit earlier. The earlier the train, the more likely it is to get a seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

RockDesk wrote: »
    You should usually get a seat on the 7.21 in the morning if you're able to get there a bit earlier. The earlier the train, the more likely it is to get a seat.
    I get the 6.52am Skerries train - I get on at an earlier stop. The Skerries passengers are lucky to get a seat on it. I estimate they're standing 60% of the time. The train is only four carraiges so gets full quite quickly. Loads of passengers board at Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

hammy007 wrote: »
    The 5:33 pm from Tara towards Drogheda is usually jammers. You're better off trying to walk to Pearse if you can, as you'll have a better standing spot, and a better chance of catching a seat. During school breaks you can usually find a seat, but most of the time it's hard to get one.

Agree this is a horrible train which I have to use a few times a week , always late very crowded leaving Connolly then crawls out to Malahide as there is a Dart in front , unlike the third world countries you can't sit on the roof due to the overhead electrical cables.

Advertisement