Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from After Hours - double standards applied by Mods

Options
  • 28-03-2017 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hello

I was banned from After Hours for 2 days for calling out an obvious Troll's posting. I would have no issue with this, if I felt the Mods were not entirely arbitrary in who they decided to enforce this rule on. Here is the link to that thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057722804

In the past I have been called and likened to a troll by other members in the same forum (After Hours) - and I highly suspect that the same mod who banned me this time around - ignored this same offence when I was the one being attacked.

Here is the screenshot of that event: HhFPHRb.png - note: the Moderator is the same user who banned me, but, to my knowledge, did not punish the user who basically committed the same act. And here is the link to that old thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057716168&page=16 - I think it is pretty self-evident what I was called in this image. And I also think it is pretty obvious the Mod in question seen this post as he or she was directly quoted in the reply.

If I am wrong, and the user who called me a "Trollup" was punished, then I will withdraw my complaint - but I strongly doubt that is the case and would like some kind of documented evidence.

I tried PMing the mod - but he or she refused to acknowledge any double standards at play, before basically terminating any discussion - so I present my case here.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I can look at this for you. Please forward (or post here) any correspondence with the mod in question.

Note that I will be looking at your ban and not anyone else posts. Nor would it be appropriate to share here action that was taken against a third party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

I could not figure out how to forward the entire conversation via PM in one neat bundle - but here is the transcript. And though I admit, in hindsight, the PM conversation I had with Mod after the factwas handled rather poorly - I still suspect my point about double standards applies.

Peregrine wrote:
    Dear JackTaylorFan,

You have been banned from After Hours for two days for a breach of the forum charter.

Every forum on Boards.ie has a charter which lists any specific rules that forum may have and it is really important that you read this as it'll help you familiarise yourself with how that forum works. You should also understand that every forum is different and that charters are how you learn the differences.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Peregrine

Moderator Note

post103049082

Don't call other users trolls.

Your post:
    Bambi985 wrote: »
    So does your face

OP, just for future reference: Ignore obvious troll
    So your policy is you can act as deliberately dismissive and trollish as you like - but you can't call somebody out on their bull**** when you see it. Just look at the user's history; the person contributes nothing to discussions, just snippy, derisive little comments aimed at other users.

Yeah, good job, Mods.
    Peregrine wrote:
    So your policy is you can act as deliberately dismissive and trollish as you like - but you can't call somebody out on their bull**** when you see it. Just look at the user's history; the person contributes nothing to discussions, just snippy, derisive little comments aimed at other users.

Yeah, good job, Mods.
    I have looked at their history and it's better than your history on this site. Does that make it okay for people to call you a troll?

I suggest you have a read of our charter. You can't call people trolls.
    Nah, their posts are definitely not better than mine - but thanks for proving your own bias.

I suspected you were playing favourites.
    Peregrine wrote:
    Oh, and I should mention that I have been called a troll by users in AH beore and they recieved no punishment. Can't give the link as I am blocked from AH as things stand. But the thread concerned Boyfriend wantimg to go to Amsterdam - i believe the user who more or less called me a "troll" is a regualr in AH too.

So yeah, double standards are great.
    Did you reort that post? It might interest you to know that I don't read every post in AH. So drop the petty double standards argument. Repeating it won't make it so.

I won't be replying further.
    Yeah, 'cause you know you are wrong on this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ok I have reviewed this and will be upholding the mod action. Your comment was unhelpful at best and calling other posters trolls will always be off topic. It would not normally warrant a ban but as you know AH have a totting up process with regard to mod actions so you landed yourself with this ban. That said as it is not the crime of the century I am willing to lift it at this point on the understanding that your next mod action in the forum will incur a months ban (being your fourth in the forum). Please let me know if this is agreeable to you and I can arrange.
    What actions are taken against other posts is between the mods and the relevant poster but I would note that you did not report either of them. It is not possible for mods to read every post in AH.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ok I have reviewed this and will be upholding the mod action. Your comment was unhelpful at best and calling other posters trolls will always be off topic. It would not normally warrant a ban but as you know AH have a totting up process with regard to mod actions so you landed yourself with this ban. That said as it is not the crime of the century I am willing to lift it at this point on the understanding that your next mod action in the forum will incur a months ban (being your fourth in the forum). Please let me know if this is agreeable to you and I can arrange.
    What actions are taken against other posts is between the mods and the relevant poster but I would note that you did not report either of them. It is not possible for mods to read every post in AH.

My fourth? I have only been made aware of one prior to this.

In AH you have received the following bans
    11/3/17 1 day ban
    21/3/17 1 week ban (subsequently reduced by the mod)
    28/3/17 2 day ban

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    In AH you have received the following bans
    11/3/17 1 day ban
    21/3/17 1 week ban (subsequently reduced by the mod)
    28/3/17 2 day ban

Oh, sorry. I thought she or he rescinded the 2nd one.

Nevermind.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Marking as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement