Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on cutting wood panel

• 28-03-2017 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Looking for some advice on how to cut a wood panel I have. It's a bit tricky to explain so bear with me:

The panel is part of a hard wood counter top. It's 900mm x 600mm x 40mm deep. I want to cut this into 2 pieces that are 20mm deep - so each piece will be 900x600x20mm. Now, I actually only need the pieces to be 200mm x 900mm x 20mm so I could actually cut it into smaller pieces first if it helped.

I'm thinking of getting it cut with a band saw or a circular saw? The back side of it can be rough as it won't be seen.

If you understand what I'm trying to achieve, any thoughts on how I could achieve this?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

You could also cut it to the required width and run it through a thicknesser to get to 20 mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You will obviously need a big bandsaw with a 20 cm+ cutting depth. If you have that it can be done with care although be prepared for some warping as 20 mm is relatively thin for a panel. One trick I use is to run it through a table saw first on both sides to cut 4" slots.This leaves less wood in the middle for the bandsaw and gives you a guide to feed the wood through the blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mashed13

Hello,

Looking for some advice on how to cut a wood panel I have. It's a bit tricky to explain so bear with me:

The panel is part of a hard wood counter top. It's 900mm x 600mm x 40mm deep. I want to cut this into 2 pieces that are 20mm deep - so each piece will be 900x600x20mm. Now, I actually only need the pieces to be 200mm x 900mm x 20mm so I could actually cut it into smaller pieces first if it helped.

I'm thinking of getting it cut with a band saw or a circular saw? The back side of it can be rough as it won't be seen.

If you understand what I'm trying to achieve, any thoughts on how I could achieve this?

Thanks all

make 200x900x40 first and then if you have enough depth just run them through table saw on both sides, it would require fair amount of skill to run the piece through the band saw and make it straight so you may loose another few mm getting it through thickenser at the end

You could also cut it to the required width and run it through a thicknesser to get to 20 mm

I wouldnt dare to waste half of the panel like this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

mashed13 wrote: »
    I wouldnt dare to waste half of the panel like this :(

Yeah I was thinking that, I would be losing half the entire panel

• Advertisement

make 200x900x40 first and then if you have enough depth just run them through table saw on both sides, it would require fair amount of skill to run the piece through the band saw and make it straight so you may loose another few mm getting it through thickenser at the end

Ok this sounds like the best bet. I'll give this a whirl

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Yeah I was thinking that, I would be losing half the entire panel

if you cut it you will end up with 2 warped panels.
    if you plane it you can plane 1/4 of each side and keep it flat

Ok this sounds like the best bet. I'll give this a whirl

Thanks!

another thing just came to my head, take into account the actual depth of your saw which will take off few mm while doing cuts, so seems like no way u could get your exact 20mm without sacrifising a piece... or you may be ok with 18-19mm

another thing just came to my head, take into account the actual depth of your saw which will take off few mm while doing cuts, so seems like no way u could get your exact 20mm without sacrifising a piece... or you may be ok with 18-19mm

Yeah I'm not worried about a few mil. Should be good with 18 or so.

Thanks again

Advertisement