Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile home

Options
  • 28-03-2017 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello,

I'm just seeking some advice about purchasing a mobile home.

I have a small sum of money saved up and really in desperate need of some housing . Renting is out of the question since nobody will accept us.

Can someone help with explaining how to find somewhere to place a mobile home for about 6-12 months. Is their any holiday parks that allow this?

I worked with a few members of the travelling community and they said that the council rented them land for their mobiles.

Anything similar I can do?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭emma6606

Im thinking of doing the same - getting a small mobile home and living on it so I can save... I cannot afford to rent anymore... Ive been looking into mobile home parks but they dont seem to let new MHs in... Im thinking of asking some random farmers... they always have spare land... and we only need a tiny bit?
    Did you find anywhere or get any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Great idea.

I see vans parked in fields; maybe ask farmers in the area you seek?

Good thinking and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Graces7 wrote: »
    Great idea.

I see vans parked in fields; maybe ask farmers in the area you seek?

Good thinking and good luck

Not a great idea. Needs planning permission and connection to services. Neither will be easy to get

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sunday Morning

Don't tell people, don't tell council, just do it..forget about the nanny state that has crippled those trying to rent..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Don't tell people, don't tell council, just do it..forget about the nanny state that has crippled those trying to rent..

It's possibly illegal to do what you are advocating.
    Not a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You'll need plumbing and power. A farmers field wouldn't work for that.

See

https://www.donedeal.ie/mobilehomes?words=on%20site%20to%20rent

https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/cars-
    motorbikes-boats/caravans-mobile-homes/mobile-homes/1140/

and google has many others.

Saw one on daft too but cannot mind where.

emma6606 wrote: »
    Im thinking of doing the same - getting a small mobile home and living on it so I can save... I cannot afford to rent anymore... Ive been looking into mobile home parks but they dont seem to let new MHs in... Im thinking of asking some random farmers... they always have spare land... and we only need a tiny bit?
    Did you find anywhere or get any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hello,

I'm just seeking some advice about purchasing a mobile home.

I have a small sum of money saved up and really in desperate need of some housing . Renting is out of the question since nobody will accept us.

Can someone help with explaining how to find somewhere to place a mobile home for about 6-12 months. Is their any holiday parks that allow this?

I worked with a few members of the travelling community and they said that the council rented them land for their mobiles.

Anything similar I can do?

Thanks for any advice!

Travellers pay rent ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Travellers pay rent ?

They are charged rent. Big difference between being charged and paying rent in this country, especially with the councils who have huge rental non payment problems. Which could be a reason they don't build council homes anymore so they don't have to chase non payment of rent, much easier to pass the buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

A mobile home is NOT a permanent structure. Why would putting one into a field require planning permission? Just keep it mobile!

We have a fcuking housing crisis ppl!!! When someone tries to deal with their housing needs in this way, why should local authorities stand in their way, especially when thise LAs have totally failed in their housing respinsibikities.!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    A mobile home is NOT a permanent structure. Why would putting one into a field require planning permission?

Mobile homes are considered development, as such they require planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Graham wrote: »
    Mobile homes are considered development, as such they require planning.

That could only be considered as a development if was a development of a preexisting dwelling (i.e within the curtilage of said dwelling) or were located in such a way as to cease to be mobile.

If I park a caravan in a field that I own, are you suggesting I'd need planning permission?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If I park a caravan in a field that I own, are you suggesting I'd need planning permission?

The OP isn't proposing to park a caravan in a field, the OP is considering placing a mobile home as a dwelling.

It shouldn't take you more than 30 seconds on Google to find examples where caravans/cabins/mobile homes were found to require planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

If its there more than a certain number of days then yes you do.
    There are some good threads on this topic in the construction and planning forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Travellers pay rent ?

As mentioned, they are billed for it.

Just like non-travellers, some pay what they owe and some don't.

That could only be considered as a development if was a development of a preexisting dwelling (i.e within the curtilage of said dwelling) or were located in such a way as to cease to be mobile.

Parking it there is fine. Having people living in it is a whole different proposition.

Advertisement