Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepalooza 2017

Options
  • 28-03-2017 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

I couldn't find a thread for this festival. tickets are at €109 for 3 days or €119 camping are very reasonable.
    Girl Band (Irish festival exclusive), Wild Beasts, Waze & Odyssey, David Kitt, shi* Robot, I Have A Tribe, Heroes In Hiding, King Bones and Lumo Club. Comedy: Deirdre O’Kane, Kevin Mc Gahern, PJ Gallagher, Colm O' Regan
    Thumper, Le Boom, Frankenstein Bolts, Wolff, Aik J, Oh Boland, Appella, Farah Elle, Participant, Rosa Nutty, Cinema, Beach, Damola, Phare, Nimino, Spud Gun, Video Blue, Show Fur, Tu-Ki, Lumigraph, Barry Redsetta, Apres Ski, Boca 45, Pete Isaac, Baz Hickey, HVMMINGBYRD, Let's Sail, Robocobra Quartet and Beauty Sleep

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

No head liner announced yet for Sunday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Very weak line up so far, compared to Indiependence on the same weekend and for more or less the same price. A bit peeved that I jumped at the early birds now, if i had waited I probably would have gone to indie instead.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Unfortunately Girl Band have cancelled their entire tour do to health issues. Organisers are working on getting a replacement.

Well that is terrible news, they were probably the band I was most looking forward to seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

So is that two headliners Castlepalooza have to pull out of the bag now? Fairly sure they didn't have the Sunday headliner announced yet either.

• Advertisement

So is that two headliners Castlepalooza have to pull out of the bag now? Fairly sure they didn't have the Sunday headliner announced yet either.

Yeah no Sunday or Friday (I'm pretty sure Girl Band were down to headline Friday night) and I can't imagine ticket sales are that strong so I am not holding my breath on any decent names, which is a pity, last years was great and I was hoping that with a few flaws ironed out this year would be even better.

endabob1 wrote: »
    Yeah no Sunday or Friday (I'm pretty sure Girl Band were down to headline Friday night) and I can't imagine ticket sales are that strong so I am not holding my breath on any decent names, which is a pity, last years was great and I was hoping that with a few flaws ironed out this year would be even better.

Likewise, last year was really good and had a great lineup but this years isn't as strong. Caribou, Jurassic 5 and The Villagers were three strong headliners last year but this year we only have Wild Beasts at the minute. Waze & Odyssey and **** Robot play here every year. I'm worried they will cheap out on the last 2 headliners. Would like to go but if they don't have anyone else half decent then Beatyard might be the more tempting option the same weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Is anyone going this year?

Their alcohol/ campsite policy seems ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Won tickets to this so I'll be heading down for the weekend. Was really surprised reading the drink policy, I've never heard of any other festival doing this. No wonder there seems to be piles of tickets left floating around.

Not familiar with a lot of the lineup, anyone have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

GingerLily wrote: »
    Is anyone going this year?

Their alcohol/ campsite policy seems ridiculous

Ha Ha, just going on here to rant about that.

Cant bring your own Booze,
    Cant Bring Booze from Campsite to Venue,
    Bars Close at 10...

There is an Off Licence, anyone know is this on site or in campsite?

Never been there before but seams a bit anti fun compared to EP for example

• Advertisement

I'm going for the weekend. Weather forecast doesn't look great as usual for castleplaooza! Drink policy is annoying, going to try and sneak in a bottle of spirits I'd say. Slab of cans is €50 on site which isn't great value.. I saw the map as Well, it looks like they have moved the campsite again.. looks like the campsite is in the main arena practically, right beside some of the music tents.

Ronney wrote: »
    Ha Ha, just going on here to rant about that.

Cant bring your own Booze,
    Bars Close at 10...

There is an Off Licence, anyone know is this on site or in campsite?

Never been there before but seams a bit anti fun compared to EP for example

I've gone twice before but I can't really remember what the story is with alcohol. Dont remember them closing so early in past years. Vodafone Centre stage on Twitter posted the map which shows where the bars and campsite are.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Do thye check the bags that much? Is it possible to sneak in a litre of spirits?

I've gone twice before but I can't really remember what the story is with alcohol. Dont remember them closing so early in past years. Vodafone Centre stage on Twitter posted the map which shows where the bars and campsite are.

Cheers, I'm sure you'd remember if it was a negative on the weekend.

I'm guessing Buy their cans from Off licence onsite for campsite (pricey but not pub pricey so no choice).

In practice it should be handy enough to sneak in to the main venue a couple of cans in the pockets/Down the wellies every few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Cheers, I'm sure you'd remember if it was a negative on the weekend.

I'm guessing Buy their cans from Off licence onsite for campsite (pricey but not pub pricey so no choice).

In practice it should be handy enough to sneak in to the main venue a couple of cans in the pockets/Down the wellies every few hours

Can you at least bring alcohol to the campsites?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

The layout seems to be back to the layout that it was two years ago (and most years before that), having been different completely last year.

You can't bring alcohol into the campsite as the campsite and the "arena" are not segregated. It's a bit annoying having to buy offo cans in there at €2 a pop but what it does mean is that once you have your cans you can bring them anywhere on site (assuming you aren't sleeping off-site).

Means you can spend all day around the stages checking out different bands and don't spend much time sitting around the tents.

There is no security between the campsite and the venue. You can bring booze from campsite to the venue but you can't bring outside booze to the campsite in the first place. So you can stock up in the on-site offo when you arrive and then bring cans to and from your tent as you please.

The offo is central, right beside one of the bars and tbh you can walk the entire arena in 10 minutes so nothing is out of the way (once you don't need to go to the atm).

Do thye check the bags that much? Is it possible to sneak in a litre of spirits?

I recall bag searches on entry being pretty thorough and they normally have a massive wheely bin full of confiscated booze! If you're planning on bringing in a litre of spirits, definitely split it into smaller bottles so they've less chance of finding them all and sometimes a "decoy" bottle can work well - "ah you caught me" etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

The offlicience is an actual joke, only 24cans of cheap lager or 12L of cider available, no smaller quantities, no wine or spirits, your screwed if you don't drink lager :(

Off Licence Cans 500ml

·       Stoya: 24 Cans for €50

·       Budvar: 24 Cans for €60

·       Dan Kelly’s Cider Growler: 12 litres for €65

I'll probably leave early cause I don't think I can afford it, also bars closing at 10pm is insane, I'm so unimpressed by the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Anyone know how close the campsite is to the car park? They don't show it on the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

nommm wrote: »
    Anyone know how close the campsite is to the car park? They don't show it on the map.

Interested in this also...

Haven't been in several years and the trek up that long path used to be a nightmare!

Anyone have any experience of the "Boutique Camping"?

nommm wrote: »

I would think that it's at the entrance to the castle grounds as it has been in previous years (exluding last year), which is around 1.3km + whatever distance is between your parking spot and the entrance to the carpark.

Worth bringing a trolley or something as once you're out of the carpark, the track is paved.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I would think that it's at the entrance to the castle grounds as it has been in previous years (exluding last year), which is around 1.3km + whatever distance is between your parking spot and the entrance to the carpark.

Worth bringing a trolley or something as once you're out of the carpark, the track is paved.

Cheers.

Out of interest: what was it last year and why would it be different this year?

Cheers.

Out of interest: what was it last year and why would it be different this year?

Last year there was no camping within the arena, the car parking was right beside the campsite, which was just outside the castle grounds to the south of the castle.

I don't know why it is different this year but it obviously is so from the map. The layout shown this year is the same as the years previous to last year.

I thought the car park and camp site were much better last year. I went in 2014 as well and camped on the car park side of the campsite but it appears it is an artist campsite now.

I definitely managed to sneak drink in Both years but in 2014 I was volunteering and got it in on the Thursday night. Last year I can't remember there being no alcohol allowed in but maybe I'm wrong.

I thought the car park and camp site were much better last year. I went in 2014 as well and camped on the car park side of the campsite but it appears it is an artist campsite now.

I definitely managed to sneak drink in Both years but in 2014 I was volunteering and got it in on the Thursday night. Last year I can't remember there being no alcohol allowed in but maybe I'm wrong.

Last year you could bring booze to the campsite as it was not inside the area as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sufei

The off licence prices are such a rip off. Really hope we can get away with sneaking something in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Simona1986 wrote: »
    The layout seems to be back to the layout that it was two years ago (and most years before that), having been different completely last year.

You can't bring alcohol into the campsite as the campsite and the "arena" are not segregated. It's a bit annoying having to buy offo cans in there at €2 a pop but what it does mean is that once you have your cans you can bring them anywhere on site (assuming you aren't sleeping off-site).

Means you can spend all day around the stages checking out different bands and don't spend much time sitting around the tents.

I don't mind buying cans at €2 each but I think it's a disgrace to have to buy them in batches of 24.

It's actively encouraging people to buy much more than they want.

Also, what happens to the 18 cans you leave at your tent while you take 6 with you to the stage? In my experience some tents are going to get ransacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Choochtown wrote: »
    I don't mind buying cans at €2 each but I think it's a disgrace to have to buy them in batches of 24...

Yeah I wouldn't be a big critic of the alcohol policy as I'm in favour of the freeflow once you've gone through the main gates. But I definitely agree with your point; giving people no other choice than to buy 24 at once appears a bit irresponsible. Batches of 8 or 12 should surely be permitted.

Overall, I think a compromise like Body & Soul where you can bring X amount on first arrival and then there's freeflow from arena to campsite is definitely the best policy.

Advertisement