Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit limit

Options
  • 28-03-2017 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Hi,

How can I find out what the limit is on my visa debit card? I tried to ring BOI but it is too hard to get through to a human!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Hi,

How can I find out what the limit is on my visa debit card? I tried to ring BOI but it is too hard to get through to a human!
    Hi Kauto0709, 

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

There is no limit when you use your Visa Debit card at a point of sale in a shop or online- you can use up to your available funds. For withdrawing cash at an ATM, the limit is generally €700 per day. 

Please let us know if we can help with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chalky024

Hi Bank of Ireland,

Just to be clear on this, I have a bill of €4500 to be paid on Monday morning for VRT on an imported vehicle. Can this be paid without any issues using my debit card. I will have sufficient funds in my account to cover the payment.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

You should have a POS limit of 50k for chip and pin transaction.

Inform boi you are doing this TX and it should sail through.

I bought a car for 9000 using Visa debit.

If you don't inform bank the transaction can possibly go on hold and phone authorisation with the bank at the time of TX will have to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

chalky024 wrote: »
    Hi Bank of Ireland,

Just to be clear on this, I have a bill of €4500 to be paid on Monday morning for VRT on an imported vehicle. Can this be paid without any issues using my debit card. I will have sufficient funds in my account to cover the payment.

Thank you.
    Good Morning chalky024, 

Thank you for coming back to us here. 

Yes, once the funds are available, there are no limits to point of sale, online or phone transactions. However, we would suggest that you check with the company to ensure that they accept cards for this type of payment to avoid disappointment. If this transaction is outside of your normal pattern of spend you can give notification of intention to process this payment via the Service Desk 'Ask a Question' option on 365Online. 

I hope this helps and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ptha

Hi Bank of Ireland,

Thank you.
    Good Morning chalky024,

Yes, once the funds are available, there are no limits to point of sale, online or phone transactions. However, we would suggest that you check with the company to ensure that they accept cards for this type of payment to avoid disappointment. If this transaction is outside of your normal pattern of spend you can give notification of intention to process this payment via the Service Desk 'Ask a Question' option on 365Online.

I hope this helps and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks,
    Elaine
    Just an update on this, it seems like there is a 25K daily limit. I tried to make an online purchase with my BOI visa debit card above this amount and it was declined. I contacted BOI customer service and was informed there was in fact this €25,000 daily limit. I reduced my purchase to this amount and it went through. I had the funds available for the higher amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ptha wrote: »
    Hi Bank of Ireland,

Thank you.
    Good Morning chalky024,

Thanks,
    Elaine
    Just an update on this, it seems like there is a 25K daily limit. I tried to make an online purchase with my BOI visa debit card above this amount and it was declined. I contacted BOI customer service and was informed there was in fact this €25,000 daily limit. I reduced my purchase to this amount and it went through. I had the funds available for the higher amount.
    I confirmed this today when I phoned Bank of Ireland that there is now a maximum €25,000 daily limit on BOI debit card purchases.  It's a wonder BOI doesn't publish this somewhere on their website as I googled extensively for it and this page was the closest I got to finding info before I phoned them.. The guidance the official BOI rep above gave is misleading or out of date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

ongarboy wrote: »
    ptha wrote: »
    Hi Bank of Ireland,

Thank you.
    Good Morning chalky024,

Thanks,
    Elaine
    I confirmed this today when I phoned Bank of Ireland that there is now a maximum €25,000 daily limit on BOI debit card purchases.  It's a wonder BOI doesn't publish this somewhere on their website as I googled extensively for it and this page was the closest I got to finding info before I phoned them.. The guidance the official BOI rep above gave is misleading or out of date!
    Hi ongarboy, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today. The original response from our reps was a reply from 2017.  Procedures are constantly evolving to ensure the best service for our customers.  We are very happy to hear that our advisors resolved this for you over the phone today. Please feel free to get back in touch if we can help with anything else. 

We hope that you remain safe and well during this time. 

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TommyGrealy

@BankOfIreland reps. Why cant this info (25K limit) be documented here - which is the first link in the google results for "Bank of Ireland Debit Card Transaction Limit" - and which would save people a lot of time - your page mentions the 50 euro limit on Contactless (which most people know about already because its something we are used to) - it could also mention the upper limit of a PIN authorised transaction.

Had to wait on the phone for ages to get confirmation from one of your agents, unnecessary waste of my time and his time!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

@BankOfIreland reps. Why cant this info (25K limit) be documented here - which is the first link in the google results for "Bank of Ireland Debit Card Transaction Limit" - and which would save people a lot of time - your page mentions the 50 euro limit on Contactless (which most people know about already because its something we are used to) - it could also mention the upper limit of a PIN authorised transaction.

Had to wait on the phone for ages to get confirmation from one of your agents, unnecessary waste of my time and his time!.
    Hi TommyGrealy,

Thanks for getting in touch. We really appreciate your feedback and we'll certainly pass this on to the relevant team to look into. Just to mention, if you are registered for 365online.com, you can certainly send off a request or query by selecting "service desk" > "ask a question". One of our colleagues will respond to your query as soon as possible.

Thanks for chatting with us today. Feel free to get back in touch if we can help with anything else.

Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Just in case anyone wants an update - the limit of €25k was confirmed to me via query on BOI App:

"The maximum transaction amount (Visa Debit card Point of sale transaction limit) is €25,000 that you may make in a single day, subject to the funds in their account. You can also make multiple transactions totalling €25,000 in one day subject to the funds in their account."

• Advertisement
Advertisement