Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine degree

Options
  • 28-03-2017 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Guys

Just wondering how important is it to gain a medical degree with honours in terms of future career progression. I'm in final year medicine at the moment but I'd say I'm probably going to come out with a pass degree judging by how the exams have gone so far. I'm worried that this is going to be a major negative in terms of getting onto a scheme after intern year. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I'm in the exact same position as you mate. From what I've heard, it doesn't matter in the slightest after you get your intern place. It may be a couple of points in job applications but you can easily supplement it with research, presentations, publications etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Boredguy123

Thanks for the reply. It's 50-50 really at the moment. Nice to know that there's still a good chance of progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

As I say, I'm very borderline. However the only thing that bothers me about it is getting my first choice next year, after that I know it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm only a year out of intern year, but I've heard many people say it doesn't matter a bit. Maybe individual exam results (e.g. surgery) might count for scheme applications but overall I don't think it's anything to get too worried about. Do some ****ey audits or projects throughout intern year and you'll bump up a few points for applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Incorrect. The OP's question asked if it would affect his ability to get onto schemes after intern year. The short answer is that it will, unfortunately. To what extent depends on your CV.

A pass degree for example when applying for the BST in Paediatrics will get you 10/20 in that section. A 2:1 will get you 15/20, or a first 20/20. If you think those 5 points won't matter... think again.

You can max out your marks in research and clinical skills but this will not make up for the initial deficit - and schemes can be extremely competitive. Will you have a better research mark than those applying with 2:1 scores? Possible, but a final degree mark in most cases (barring personal issues) reflects a students hard work and the students who score higher tend to engage in research more than those who score lower.

Ultimately in your career it will not matter, however in the first few years be prepared for possible disappointment as you attempt to bulk up your CV.

I would advise that you take your pass degree as a warning sign. Every year there will be more graduates looking to get onto schemes and progress. You need to work hard and improve on the failings that led to your pass mark in order to get where you want to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement