Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone listening to conversations for advertising?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Panimorph

I can't link, just set up the account.

You can easily verify anything I've said yourself.

Literally just google "Vault 7 wikileaks March 7"

You can use keywords to search through it once there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Panimorph wrote: »

When you can post links, drop in a few about the targeted advertising.

Vault 7 appears to concentrate on Malware and hacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

This discussion has shot past iPhone, crashed into Facebook and is careening off into conspiracy theory land.

Siri/iPhone doesn't listen for advertising. Apple aren't in the ad business.

It's possible that Facebook or any other app could do so. In iOS you have to give each app permission to use the microphone. If you think they are spying on you deny access to the microphone and problem solved.

If anyone has a link to reliable evidence to the contrary please post it. Anecdotes of I spoke about x and an ad for x appeared don't count. How many times did you speak about x and an ad didn't appear. It's like when you get a shiver down your spine and you later find out your someone is dead. How often do you get a shiver and nobody dies? We only remember cases fit our theory. Have a google for confirmation bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pinkmonkey045

Some interesting points thanks, and I am laughing out loud at the silver hat����

I read this article this morning which in the heading and first two paragraphs would make you think google is able to record everything you say around it. If that was the case would people not be about protesting against this?!! However reading the content I think the heading and intro are misleading - the rest of the article seems to say it's recorded voice searches only that are stored by google. There are no references to the source of these facts. So - unclear info and no references, cheers for that.

http://m.independent.ie/world-news/google-voice-searches-records-and-keeps-conversations-people-have-around-their-phones-but-the-files-can-be-deleted-35582500.html

Anyway in relation to advertising I did go to my 'google history' this morning - not my first time clearing/checking privacy settings. I had chosen no to google using my searches for personalised advertising already. But it won't let me deselect the use of personalised ads for websites outside google/when signed out. Not sure why they bother including it in their options then!

I know my question was linked to my iPhone, but I suppose I'm just interlinking the iPhone and/it's functions and basic apps....

I read this article this morning which in the heading and first two paragraphs would make you think google is able to record everything you say around it.

It's the Indo, they need the clickbait to keep all those advertisers fed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Graham wrote: »
    While I have no doubt the Indo has it's own sales team

Here's a list of the other 93 advertising networks with a presence on the Indo homepage as of about 45 seconds ago.
    • Chango
    • Simpli.fi
    • Videology
    • SiteScout
    • Turn
    • Rocket Fuel
    • DemDex
    • Google Publisher Tag
    • Advertising.com
    • Media Innovation Group
    • RadiumOne
    • AppNexus
    • Atlas
    • Aggregate Knowledge
    • Mediaplex
    • Evidon
    • BlueKai
    • BlueKai DMP
    • DoubleClick.Net
    • Google Adsense
    • Google Adsense Asynchronous
    • AudienceScience
    • Digilant
    • Openads/OpenX
    • The Trade Desk
    • Neustar AdAdvisor
    • Dstillery
    • Connexity
    • DoubleVerify
    • Tribal Fusion
    • Pubmatic
    • Rubicon Project
    • Burst Media
    • Integral Ad Science
    • 161Media
    • AcuityAds
    • eXelate
    • Datonics
    • Drawbridge
    • Criteo
    • IponWeb BidSwitch
    • AdGear
    • Index Exchange
    • Tapad
    • Adap.TV
    • Specific Media
    • Flashtalking
    • Yahoo Small Business
    • VINDICO
    • Adconion
    • Zedo
    • SpotXchange
    • ContextWeb
    • Adify
    • Switch Ads
    • Adform
    • AOL-Time Warner Online Advertising
    • eyeReturn
    • Adition
    • MyBuys MyAds
    • Improve Digital
    • Metrigo
    • DoubleClick Bid Manager
    • Quisma
    • Magnetic
    • RhythmOne
    • TripleLift
    • Twitter Ads
    • JustPremium
    • HotelsCombined
    • Nativo
    • RUN Ads
    • StickyAds TV
    • AdMeta
    • DynAdmic
    • Teads
    • AdRoll
    • Adnologies
    • Eye View Digital
    • Bidtellect
    • Adobe Audience Manager Sync
    • GumGum
    • AlephD
    • AdsNative
    • Crosswise
    • Yahoo Ad Sync
    • BidTheatre
    • Taboola
    • Media.net
    • ADTECH
    • Jumptap
    • Yashi
    • Facebook Custom Audiences

Didn't you post that before?

Panimorph wrote: »

I think we all know the CIA tried to circumvent ios. Nothing to do with this topic.

Controlling the microphone on ios needs user permission. And I think the app needs to be foreground.

Didn't you post that before?

It's a fairly staggering list isn't it but no, it wasn't posted twice. One is a list of trackers, the other is a list of advertisers although I'd guess at least some of them fall into both lists.

That's by no means unusual either, most websites that support any amount of advertising are the same.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

This discussion has shot past iPhone, crashed into Facebook and is careening off into conspiracy theory land.

Siri/iPhone doesn't listen for advertising. Apple aren't in the ad business.

It's possible that Facebook or any other app could do so. In iOS you have to give each app permission to use the microphone. If you think they are spying on you deny access to the microphone and problem solved.

If anyone has a link to reliable evidence to the contrary please post it. Anecdotes of I spoke about x and an ad for x appeared don't count. How many times did you speak about x and an ad didn't appear. It's like when you get a shiver down your spine and you later find out your someone is dead. How often do you get a shiver and nobody dies? We only remember cases fit our theory. Have a google for confirmation bias.

What constitutes "reliable evidence?

You've already been given 2 similar examples. what more do you need? Does an ad have to pop up for every single topic of conversation to be reliable?

pajero12 wrote: »

You've already been given 2 similar examples. what more do you need? Does an ad have to pop up for every single topic of conversation to be reliable?

Reliable evidence is more than 2 examples posted by pseudonymous Internet posters that are lacking technical expertise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

pajero12 wrote: »

I'll settle for a report from the New York Times, Washington Post, Guardian, Electronic Freedom Foundation, Wired, Arstechnica, etc. I'm not so fussy. I'll even take a look at something from russiawikileaks (the CIA/NSA stuff doesn't count as advertising)

Advertisement