Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting Knives

Options
  • 28-03-2017 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just wondering if there are many knife makers in Ireland. I make folders and fixed blade knives myself so was interested in seeing a few more Irish makers works but some I have found on here, like Davy Moore, seem to have finished up and no pictures of the knives are on line any more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I don't know anything about them, but this company from Roscommon looks interesting: http://smythknives.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

hi tony just wondering where you get your materials.. id love to try make one

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Have a lovely copy of The Complete Encyclopedia of Knives' for sale, hardback 484 pages mint cond-- anyone interested? any offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TonyConlon

daithi55 wrote: »
    hi tony just wondering where you get your materials.. id love to try make one

I source a lot of my materials from America. I get the steel from there. I do the heat treatment myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevegentech

Hi Tony I'm Davy's son Steve used to make knives with my dad any questions you have I can answer for you I'm sure I can dig up some photos of our knives for you and tell you how we made them and with what materials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 stevegentech

Hi Tony I'm Davy's son Steve used to make knives with my dad any questions you have I can answer for you I'm sure I can dig up some photos of our knives for you and tell you how we made them and with what materials

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

TonyConlon wrote: »
    I make folders and fixed blade knives myself

Tony - why not stick up some photos of the knives you've made? - would be a very interesting thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Davie Crawford, broc knives makes some really nice blades. I bought one a couple of years ago, a big multipurpose outdoor knife called the horseman. He has a good selection and makes a few nice hunting knives

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Picked this knife up in Berlin, handmade in a Swedish style I think with reindeer and walnut handle. If I never carried another one I'd still be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

That's a beauty - is there any fastener on the leather sheath to stop it falling out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Cheers. No fastener JR. But the leather sheath is so neat it's like a hand in a glove. It holds it very tight and I've done a lot of crawling with it to get into position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

aaakev wrote: »
    Davie Crawford, broc knives makes some really nice blades. I bought one a couple of years ago, a big multipurpose outdoor knife called the horseman. He has a good selection and makes a few nice hunting knives

Few pics of mine

Advertisement