Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gill Netting

• 28-03-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

Just enquiring what is the law on gill net fishing in Ireland ? I understand drift net fishing is banned but is gill net ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Answering a question with a question, I'm afraid.
    Why are you asking? And What species?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bigman420

Answering a question with a question, I'm afraid.
    Why are you asking? And What species?

As i have recently bought old land and in one of the sheds are some old nets and I'm wondering can i use them for the likes of mackerel or a they just going to gather dust in my shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭nokiatom

theres dozens of different types of nets. you need to be more accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bigman420

nokiatom wrote: »
    theres dozens of different types of nets. you need to be more accurate

I know what the different nets are gill, seine, drift etc. These are gill nets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

To use a net in freshwater is illegal.

To use a net in saltwater you must be a licensed commercial fisherman. You can get all the information you need from the Sea Fisheries Protection Authority. I doubt you would get a licence without a track record in the industry and a licensed boat. Besides, gillnets are stationary nets and not really much use for mackerel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It's not much fun getting a meshing of mackerel, a lot of picking involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭nokiatom

You never mentioned the size of the mesh. That makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Some of ye might be interested, the ERSI are holding a conference on pike removal and in particular about recent research carried out. It's on next Wednesday, the 24th at 4pm at their HQ in Dublin, ya register your name online to sign up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Some of ye might be interested, the ERSI are holding a conference on pike removal and in particular about recent research carried out. It's on next Wednesday, the 24th at 4pm at their HQ in Dublin, ya register your name online to sign up

“Pike stock management in designated brown trout fisheries: anglers’ preferences”
    MAY 24, 20174:00 PM
    ADD TO GOOGLE CALENDAR
    Speaker: John Curtis, ESRI
    Venue: ESRI, Whitaker Square, Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin 2
    This paper examines anglers’ preferences for active stock management of pike populations within designated wild brown trout fisheries in Ireland. While the policy of pike control has a long history, it is not without controversy and conflict. As the objective of pike control is the protection of trout stocks, a superficial view might be that trout anglers favour and pike anglers oppose such management intervention. Pike and trout anglers do not have homogeneous preferences, in fact, a substantial minority of pike anglers also fish for trout and vice versa. The current paper examines Irish pike and trout anglers’ preferences over fishery attributes, including pike stock control methods. Preference data was elicited by means of choice experiments for pike and trout anglers and a latent class site choice model is used to estimate anglers’ utility functions. Not surprisingly model results show that pike anglers do not support pike stock control and almost universally would choose fishing sites where there are no pike stock controls, all else equal. We find that the majority of trout anglers are negatively disposed towards pike stock control, and all else equal, are more likely to choose fishing sites where pike stocks are not actively managed. A substantial minority of trout anglers could be considered advocates of pike control, with about one-third of these being more extreme in their preferences, with site choice probabilities of such anglers being largely determined by the pike control management option.
    There is no fee for this event but please register your attendance using the following link.
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Q2ZVJSY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

jkchambers wrote: »
    “Pike stock management in designated brown trout fisheries: anglers’ preferences”
    MAY 24, 20174:00 PM
    ADD TO GOOGLE CALENDAR
    Speaker: John Curtis, ESRI
    Venue: ESRI, Whitaker Square, Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin 2
    This paper examines anglers’ preferences for active stock management of pike populations within designated wild brown trout fisheries in Ireland. While the policy of pike control has a long history, it is not without controversy and conflict. As the objective of pike control is the protection of trout stocks, a superficial view might be that trout anglers favour and pike anglers oppose such management intervention. Pike and trout anglers do not have homogeneous preferences, in fact, a substantial minority of pike anglers also fish for trout and vice versa. The current paper examines Irish pike and trout anglers’ preferences over fishery attributes, including pike stock control methods. Preference data was elicited by means of choice experiments for pike and trout anglers and a latent class site choice model is used to estimate anglers’ utility functions. Not surprisingly model results show that pike anglers do not support pike stock control and almost universally would choose fishing sites where there are no pike stock controls, all else equal. We find that the majority of trout anglers are negatively disposed towards pike stock control, and all else equal, are more likely to choose fishing sites where pike stocks are not actively managed. A substantial minority of trout anglers could be considered advocates of pike control, with about one-third of these being more extreme in their preferences, with site choice probabilities of such anglers being largely determined by the pike control management option.
    There is no fee for this event but please register your attendance using the following link.
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Q2ZVJSY

WELL just to let you know most of the trout anglers on sheelin are all for pike control about 90% thank god, so you are at it again a good few years now shoving you pike control down every trout anglers mouth once the pike are looked after when they are netted their should be no problem ,and what i have seen they are looked after ,but then you have fake news that suits the likes of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

blackpearl wrote: »
    WELL just to let you know most of the trout anglers on sheelin are all for pike control about 90% thank god, so you are at it again a good few years now shoving you pike control down every trout anglers mouth once the pike are looked after when they are netted their should be no problem ,and what i have seen they are looked after ,but then you have fake news that suits the likes of you.
    The ESRI survey showed that 61% of trout anglers are against any pike removal and only 13 % are strongly in favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Your some piece of work.

Pike anglers of this country want a fair and balanced system where everyone can have a chance to fish for what they want...and allow the ecosystem to manage itself and stay healthy.

Certain Trout anglers... Such as yourself... Only want trout in specific lakes.. And all other fish removed... An out of balance ecosystem which will not survive for long.

Pike anglers aren't the ones being greedy here... This is evident from posts such as yours.

Removing large pike from an ecosystem the size of lough sheelin will only present a bigger problem, an explosion of small pike with no large females to control them.
    Then you will have real problems because those smaller pike WILL predate on small trout... And your ecosystem is out of balance.

Large pike will control the smaller like and also remove sick and dying fish and keep the system healthy.

My home lake... Lough ree... A great mixed fishery for Coarse, Game and predator fishing all year round... No pike control takes place throughout the year, its not needed because the system looks after itself.

The trout fishing is exellent.
    The pike fishing is exellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Your some piece of work.

Pike anglers of this country want a fair and balanced system where everyone can have a chance to fish for what they want...and allow the ecosystem to manage itself and stay healthy.

Certain Trout anglers... Such as yourself... Only want trout in specific lakes.. And all other fish removed... An out of balance ecosystem which will not survive for long.

Pike anglers aren't the ones being greedy here... This is evident from posts such as yours.

Removing large pike from an ecosystem the size of lough sheelin will only present a bigger problem, an explosion of small pike with no large females to control them.
    Then you will have real problems because those smaller pike WILL predate on small trout... And your ecosystem is out of balance.

Large pike will control the smaller like and also remove sick and dying fish and keep the system healthy.

My home lake... Lough ree... A great mixed fishery for Coarse, Game and predator fishing all year round... No pike control takes place throughout the year, its not needed because the system looks after itself.

The trout fishing is exellent.
    The pike fishing is exellent.

Ree 26,000 acres sheelin 4,000 acres the pike fishing is exellent on ree you say well their is a enough water their to keep you happy for the rest of your life ecosystem out of balance you say what a load of old balls if that is the case sheelin should be finished are you a marine bio or someing like that the removal of pike is going on in sheelin a long time now and it has worked wonders for the lake its stuffed with trout dam all pike its a jewel of a lake and its going to stay that way. Sheelin must be a torn inyour side or some pikers sides trumping up fake news about what is happing on the lake so away with you now to your 26,000 acres and leave the fairy pool alone ,like the other fellow who blabbers on about pike removal i am saying the same to you you are greedy and i have trout to catch 2 weeks holiday fishing on the greatest trout lake in the world thread finished for me your a sad bunch.

Ree 26,000 acres sheelin 4,000 acres the pike fishing is exellent on ree you say well their is a enough water their to keep you happy for the rest of your life ecosystem out of balance you say what a load of old balls if that is the case sheelin should be finished are you a marine bio or someing like that the removal of pike is going on in sheelin a long time now and it has worked wonders for the lake its stuffed with trout dam all pike its a jewel of a lake and its going to stay that way. Sheelin must be a torn inyour side or some pikers sides trumping up fake news about what is happing on the lake so away with you now to your 26,000 acres and leave the fairy pool alone ,like the other fellow who blabbers on about pike removal i am saying the same to you you are greedy and i have trout to catch 2 weeks holiday fishing on the greatest trout lake in the world thread finished for me your a sad bunch.

And that there is the mindset of a certain amount of trout anglers who are greedy and want nothing else in the lakes only trout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Can anyone actually understand this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Can anyone actually understand this??

You would need to be a paleolithic anthropologist to decipher such neanderthal views. I have seen similar etchings on a cave wall in Gibraltar.

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    You would need to be a paleolithic anthropologist to decipher such neanderthal views. I have seen similar etchings on a cave wall in Gibraltar.

Sounds like the ramblings of a disgruntled trout angler at the thoughts of predator control possibly ceasing on a lough he fishes.

Advertisement