Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distracted driving & appropriate penalties

Options
  • 29-03-2017 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

As a both a driver and cyclist I'm finding it astonishing that so many cyclists are being mowed down by inattentive motorists, in some cases on long straight roads in clear conditions. Every day I see motorists speeding along the M50 gazing into their phones.

Considering the recent spate of cyclists dying on our roads it's really about time the Government got serious about penalising motorists who use mobile phones while driving.

It seems the State of Alaska have recognised this and impose a fine of $10,000 and one year in jail. An accident caused by the use of a cell phone resulting in a death can result in a 20 year prison sentence.

I see we impose a paltry fine of €1000 for first offence and €2000 for a second offence, haven't heard of this being enforced as yet. There must be a good case now to go straight in at the 10k level not that it'll ever happen never mind someone serving a prison sentence for killing a cyclist.

For what it's worth I'll be lobbying my local numpty TD regarding this. Just saying!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The solution isn't huge penalties, it's automatic detection and fines. The country is flocking with cameras; these could detect people using phones in cars, and fines could be issued automatically, accompanied by a photo, and delivered by registered letter.

The only law change needed is that the fine should be doubled if not paid immediately, and doubled again - in the same manner that has worked very well for tolls.

It's typical of Ireland that if people behave dangerously we want to make it illegal - when it is already illegal; and institute huge penalties - when the existing penalties are not being imposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Doesn't matter what the fine is if there is no enforcement. Gardai sitting inside 50km speed zones in the back of a van isn't an answer, unless of course you're just collecting money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AmberGold wrote: »
    It seems the State of Alaska have recognised this and impose a fine of $10,000 and one year in jail. An accident caused by the use of a cell phone resulting in a death can result in a 20 year prison sentence.
    america loves jailing people though. not a template i'd like to see used here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Loss of licence, simple as.

Unless people genuinely think/fear that their licence is at risk behaviour won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Enforcement is one thing, but bringing about a cultural change is the ideal.
    Many just think it's acceptable to be on the phone when driving, despite the penalties that exist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'll beat the drum of my particular favoured solution again - confiscation of the car for X number of days, say the same number of days that you would get penalty points for that offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

i'll beat the drum of my particular favoured solution again - confiscation of the car for X number of days, say the same number of days that you would get penalty points for that offence.

I like that......especially if the driver also has to pat the towing and storage cost.

and if it's someone else's vehicle, tough. unless it was stolen, it'll make that person very wary about lending the car to the same person again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Deedsie wrote: »
    One of the things that annoys me from AGS is when they say it's hard to catch and prove mobile phone use.

Get a Garda on a bicycle with a go pro on his helmet to cycle through traffic and tilt his head right. You would have caught several motorists texting in that time. No doubt about it.

Same on the national/motorway roads network. Unmarked squad car, Garda in passenger seat with a camera? Is it really that complicated?

yea, firstly catching people texting while sitting stationary in traffic isn't gonna save lives. Secondly the Garda will have to face forwards while cycling (I guess you could tilt the camera). Thirdly it would be very dangerous not to mention an invasion of privacy having a squad car pulling up beside you with the guard looking in with a camera.

Fourthly I really don't think it save any lives.

I think if people are serious about calling their TDs they'd be better served encouraging a massive investment in cycle lanes , Amsterdam style.

That would serve two purposes. 1. Make the issue about cyclist rights not people on their phones. 2: it would actually save lives.

Punishment ain't the solution here in my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

zig wrote: »
    yea, firstly catching people texting while sitting stationary in traffic isn't gonna save lives. Secondly the Garda will have to face forwards while cycling (I guess you could tilt the camera). Thirdly it would be very dangerous not to mention an invasion of privacy having a squad car pulling up beside you with the guard looking in with a camera.

Fourthly I really don't think it save any lives.

I think if people are serious about calling their TDs they'd be better served encouraging a massive investment in cycle lanes , Amsterdam style.

That would serve two purposes. 1. Make the issue about cyclist rights not people on their phones. 2: it would actually save lives.

Punishment ain't the solution here in my opinion.

It's not an invasion of privacy when you're on a public road. If you're breaking the law and claiming an invasion of privacy too, you deserve even greater punishment.

Getting people off their phones while in cars won't just help cyclists. IT will help other drivers who may be wiped out by inattentive drivers, or even those in fender benders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Gardai could be waiting on street corners fining every 3rd or 4th driver who's on the fone€1000

It's ridiculous the amount of drivers engrossed in conversation

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is a topic better suited to the motors forum. Rather than move it and risk incurring the wrath of the mods over there though I'm closing this.

OP if you wish to discuss this further please feel free to start a thread over there, once you have had a chance to familiarise yourself with the relevant charter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement