Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC 11 Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

even though it's very dated now, i still much prefer the htc dialer over google....and of course it can be themed with htc themes so you can have it light, dark or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Basil3 wrote: »
    Google photos for gallery, and chrome for browsing. Rooted users still install the old gallery, but that's very outdated. Google photos also takes care of the HDR boost that improves photos as soon as they're taken, as far as I know.

From the 10 on, HTC dropped all their apps that just replicated Google apps.

Thanks, the google photo apps is that one that looks like a flower with a few different colours and just called Photos ?

Is it possible to hide albums appearing when you go into google photos? Used to be able to do it on the Gallery app.

For camera shots, is it best to leave flash on auto and HDR on auto?

Thanks

Thanks, the google photo apps is that one that looks like a flower with a few different colours and just called Photos ?

Is it possible to hide albums appearing when you go into google photos? Used to be able to do it on the Gallery app.

For camera shots, is it best to leave flash on auto and HDR on auto?

Thanks

Yeah, thats the app. Auto for both is the safest option.

What do you mean by albums appearing? When I go into photos, it's just into the photos view with all my latest pics.

If you're in the themes app on your phone, there should be a search icon at the top. If you search Pixel, I'm sure you'd get a few things.

Can't really say I recommend any themes, I mainly just modify stock. If you have spare time on your hands, you can make your own theme on the htc theme maker website and keep it for yourself or share on the theme store. I think Sammy only let certain people make themes for their store, which theoretically keeps the standard high, but I found that the themes weren't actually that great, small colour issues with a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Quick query guys : can I activate Google assistant without rooting the phone? Doesn't appear to available to me.

Quick query guys : can I activate Google assistant without rooting the phone? Doesn't appear to available to me.

Settings > edge sense > activate advanced.

Long squeeze is set to assistant by default.

Settings > edge sense > activate advanced.

Long squeeze is set to assistant by default.

Cheers guys. Also, my notifications issue was my own bad, it was down to the fact that I had power saver constantly on. Thanks again guys, ye've been a great help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭GIMP

Google Photos is the default gallery app. I was going to install another but it seems to work fine. The HTC gallery app won't install on the U11.

For browsing I'm using Samsung Internet Beta, mainly because I can install an adblock extension and that it has the 'forward' button on the screen without having to go into the overflow menu for it like in Chrome. The video full screen popup extension is handy too.

Where did you get the Samsung Internet beta?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

If you're in the themes app on your phone, there should be a search icon at the top. If you search Pixel, I'm sure you'd get a few things.

Can't really say I recommend any themes, I mainly just modify stock. If you have spare time on your hands, you can make your own theme on the htc theme maker website and keep it for yourself or share on the theme store. I think Sammy only let certain people make themes for their store, which theoretically keeps the standard high, but I found that the themes weren't actually that great, small colour issues with a lot of them.

If you fancy a fully functional pixel launcher without root, then grab it here:
    https://github.com/amirzaidi/Launcher3/releases/tag/Pixel-v1.2

That what I'm putting on my U11 as soon as it arrives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Reviewers are already talking about Samsung Lag setting in on the S8.

I'm torn... my M10 is still going strong & as much as I'd like the U11, i think I might have to flush my old phone down the bog to be able to justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭GIMP

Not compatible with my device, M8s, will have to buy U11 ...bummer: :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Bit the bullet. Three have them in black!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So ive been trying to find a solution to this data connect issue im having online and im yet to find anything that relates to the issue im having.

I did go into the xda thread for viper and i see two people mentioning the same issue im having of the data turning itself back on everytime you turn it off but no answer has been given.

Its weird not only does the icon not appear in notifications but the setting lights up in android settings as if its on but it says its off.

Its a very annoying issue as i dont want my phone constantly connected when im not using it as its draining the battery and using my data allowance.

So ive been trying to find a solution to this data connect issue im having online and im yet to find anything that relates to the issue im having.

I did go into the xda thread for viper and i see two people mentioning the same issue im having of the data turning itself back on everytime you turn it off but no answer has been given.

Its weird not only does the icon not appear in notifications but the setting lights up in android settings as if its on but it says its off.

Its a very annoying issue as i dont want my phone constantly connected when im not using it as its draining the battery and using my data allowance.

yeah, can confirm it. would hardly say the battery drains with data on....battery life should be fine with it on. you could try using the data saver option as well, if data getting used in the background is a big deal to you.

in any case, it probably won't be looked at for the best part of a week until jan is back.

yeah, can confirm it. would hardly say the battery drains with data on....battery life should be fine with it on. you could try using the data saver option as well, if data getting used in the background is a big deal to you.

in any case, it probably won't be looked at for the best part of a week until jan is back.

Might have to go back to stock so.

• Advertisement

So, following on from my previous post, I have Google assistant activated and my wake word recorded and set to activate the assistant even when the screen is off, but it's not detecting my wake word. Am I doing something wrong?

So, following on from my previous post, I have Google assistant activated and my wake word recorded and set to activate the assistant even when the screen is off, but it's not detecting my wake word. Am I doing something wrong?

Just tested it there and seems to work fine.

Has anyone good a decent case for the U11. I'd like to get a spigen Crystal case but they don't seem to be available yet. Anyone find something similar

1jcdub wrote: »
    Has anyone good a decent case for the U11. I'd like to get a spigen Crystal case but they don't seem to be available yet. Anyone find something similar

Not a lot of options out there. I had a couple of Spigen cases for the 10 a month before the device was released.

Have ordered a Fitbag with the plan of using the phone naked and just keeping it in the bag. Not sure if I'm that brave, though.

The stock case will do Me for now I guess. Have screen protector coming soon then when spigen start selling there clear cases on Amazon I'll pick one up.

I know the American Amazon said two weeks so who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Got my screen protector today - Olixar Tampered Glass. Unfortunately it is the wrong fit - a few MMs too short on each side, leading to lines / weird optics. If you are going to buy one I'd hold off until they have it sorted, they must have got the measurements wrong in the first batch. Have mailed them.

I just got my email with return instructions, they're quick off the mark are HTC. Is there a customer service number anywhere for Ireland as naturally I'm keeping it now since I scratched the screen.

I'd be 90% confident that if I do nothing then that'll be that, but I'd have a slight fear they'll block the handset.

The HTC Ireland site has support via phone and email. I tend to use the UK site, as it has live chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I might ring them myself tomorrow. When I took the phone out of the box I noticed a minor build quality issue with the power button, it sits at an angle with it stuck in a bit at the bottom, its functions fine though, I emailed them straight away and received a ticket number and promise of a response in 48 hrs. That was week and half ago.

I'm not sure whether to waste energy even chasing it up but i did spend a fortune on it to.

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I might ring them myself tomorrow. When I took the phone out of the box I noticed a minor build quality issue with the power button, it sits at an angle with it stuck in a bit at the bottom, its functions fine though, I emailed them straight away and received a ticket number and promise of a response in 48 hrs. That was week and half ago.

I'm not sure whether to waste energy even chasing it up but i did spend a fortune on it to.

Yeah, those little things can get annoying. I had a Moto Z and the volume up button stopped clicking but still functioned. Drove me mad.

Has anyone wiped there phones threw the settings or recovery mode and found it didnt fully wipe when you booted back up?

Ive tried more then one kind of wipe in recovery mode and i tried doing it threw backup and reset on the phone but each and everytime i end up with the phone still running viper rom and half the apps missing including no keyboard.

Reason i want it to work is cause im still trying to sort this data connection issue and if i can get it back to stock and it works ill keep it that way.

Has anyone wiped there phones threw the settings or recovery mode and found it didnt fully wipe when you booted back up?

Ive tried more then one kind of wipe in recovery mode and i tried doing it threw backup and reset on the phone but each and everytime i end up with the phone still running viper rom and half the apps missing including no keyboard.

Reason i want it to work is cause im still trying to sort this data connection issue and if i can get it back to stock and it works ill keep it that way.

XDA is the best place for that kind of stuff. Just flash a RUU or restore your stock backup if you want to return to stock.

Is this phone worth getting?

Specs look decent. Just wondering what's it like from actual users.

RoboKlopp wrote: »

It's a decent device. Good all-rounder. Wouldn't say it has any weakness, unless you count something like lack of headphone jack, or the glass construction.

I've found it to have decent battery life, smooth performance, nice camera, good sound. Can't say there's anything about it I don't like, but I also know what I'm getting with HTC at this stage.

I'm big into the dev community with HTC, so my view is pretty skewed. I'm sure there's people here who haven't used HTC before and would have a more balanced opinion.

I’m very happy with it. I’m an average user and it ticks all the boxes for me.

Edge Sense I could take or leave at the moment - but, it’s good that it’s not obtrusive so you can just ignore it if you don’t buy into it right now.

Speed is excellent (downloading/updating apps is lightning quick), camera is great, external audio is good, headphone audio (thru supplied headphones) is incredible, looks are amazing, battery life is exceptional (again, I’m an avarage user so I’m averaging 36 hours).

I’m coming from a HTC One M8 so anything would have been a significant upgrade but I’m very happy I chose the U11 (Sapphire Blue).

One thing that I’m having to get used to is the position of the power button (One M8 was top right), this is at the side - but that’s a personal thing, nothing against the phone.

Don’t like the vibrate feedback on the fingerprint scanner but, again, that’s personal preference. First time using a fingerprint scanner on a phone and I do like it - it works very well.

Phone currently not recognising my ‘Ok, Google’ wake word but I think that’s a combination of things, not specific to the U11.

Really love the phone. Basil, will you let us know if you come across a suitable case for it, when the time comes? Ta.

One little bug I’m getting within the camera app is, occasionally, when I take a photo, and click on the thumbnail it generates, the screen displays the photo briefly, then goes black. Happening anyone else?

• Advertisement

I received my U11 on Fri and really happy with it that was until Sunday when I went to fit a tempered glass and notice after cleaning the screen and inspecting for dust before applying the glass a hairline running from the home button towards the left of the screen. The phone hasn't been dropped scratched etc. I had to have happened during the manufacturing process. Really annoying. I'm bringing it back to a Vodafone shop in the hope they'll exchanged. I bought it online from Vodafone. I don't want it repaired, just replaced

One little bug I’m getting within the camera app is, occasionally, when I take a photo, and click on the thumbnail it generates, the screen displays the photo briefly, then goes black. Happening anyone else?

are you accessing the camera from when the phone is off or at lockscreen? i think it sometimes happens like this because theoretically you can't get from locked device to camera and then in to the gallery.

another cause might be saving photos to external sd. i've had loads of problems with that over the years, so now always save to internal. with 64gb, there's plenty of space.

Edit: actually, just checked. should be fine coming from lockscreen/off. i still get the thumbnail and can access gallery.

are you accessing the camera from when the phone is off or at lockscreen? i think it sometimes happens like this because theoretically you can't get from locked device to camera and then in to the gallery.

another cause might be saving photos to external sd. i've had loads of problems with that over the years, so now always save to internal. with 64gb, there's plenty of space.

Edit: actually, just checked. should be fine coming from lockscreen/off. i still get the thumbnail and can access gallery.

Cheers Basil. I can't replicate it all of the time but I'd imagine it's an SD Card issue alrite. No biggy. Cheers again.

Any decent covers for this out yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

py2006 wrote: »
    Any decent covers for this out yet?

Belive some spigen models are on the way soon.

Well I finally got through to htc about my power button issue and the rma process has start.

First I thought yesterday I would ring the irish 1800 support number but it keeps hanging up. The I foolishly thought I would ring digital river but no answer.

Then I rang the English support number and had a drawn out conversation trying to give over references numbers but eventually got cut off. Had to ring again and eventually got told what would need to happen but got cut off again!

Sorted it out today through live chat and the phone will be going back to England. Apparently I'll be getting a refund. I would prefer if they just send me a new phone because I'm just going to buy another one anyway.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I've a HTC m8 which is still working brilliant after 2 years. I'll probably stick with HTC.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I've a HTC m8 which is still working brilliant after 2 years. I'll probably stick with HTC.

I was in the same boat Robo. M8 is such an awesome phone, I just found the camera was a bit sluggish after a couple of years so I took the plunge to the U11. Build quality is excellent, but glass now, as you know, so it will feel different initially. You'll grow to love it though. Worth noting, I sold my m8 for €100 privately.

for some reason boards.ie won't load for me on Chrome on this

py2006 wrote: »
    for some reason boards.ie won't load for me on Chrome on this

Try going to the chrome settings and scroll down to data saver. If say it's turned on. If so turn it off and you should be sorted.
    It's a problem with the boards website that causes the error.

• Advertisement

1jcdub wrote: »
    Try going to the chrome settings and scroll down to data saver. If say it's turned on. If so turn it off and you should be sorted.
    It's a problem with the boards website that causes the error.

yayyy thanks

Advertisement