Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC 11 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I use the selfie camera all the time :o:D

Another thing that I am considering is insurance, I will get the phone on contract but can't justify paying nearly 13 euro in insurance as the monthly bill would be around €73, not sure how good/bad gadgetinsurance.ie is - if I can't get cheaper insurance, I will probably just hang on to my S6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Thanks! I am a bit like you as well, I prefer a bigger phone, a phone that you can hang on to. I feel that the S8 isn't a practical phone, it seems to be aesthetically pleasing no doubt but I am not a fan of curved displays which is why I always went previously for the flat version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Vahevala wrote: »
    Thanks! I am a bit like you as well, I prefer a bigger phone, a phone that you can hang on to. I feel that the S8 isn't a practical phone, it seems to be aesthetically pleasing no doubt but I am not a fan of curved displays which is why I always went previously for the flat version.

I bought an S8 having previously had the massive-bezels of the Pixel and I can assure you it's very practical to use. The edge are barely noticeable and nothing close to as sharp as the ones on the S7 Edge, they really don't impact anything, and despite being 5.8 inches in height the phone is still easy to use with one hand (and I don't have big hands!).

The only impractical thing is the fingerprint scanner, which is terribly placed, aside from that it's amazing, although I would have to recommend a case!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

How do you find the camera compared to the S7?

Ordered both them there meself. Dunno which to stick with but guess they will both serve there purpose!

Did your Spigen cases arrive? I ordered with 1 day delivery on Wed, should have had them yesterday. Still no sign, so Amazon have refunded my shipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Basil3 wrote: »
    Shafted in the sense that it's meant to be an identical product, but both the chip and camera sensor are clearly inferior. On the flip side, the selfie camera is better on the eu model, if you're into that kind of thing.

It's also a bit of swings and roundabouts. Last year the EU model was much better than what the US got.

The performance differences are marginal in terms of day to day use. Noone got shafted. Your being over dramatic

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-benchmarks_id93192

Also owned the exynos and my sister has the Chinese 835 variant. Almost no difference in real world use.

BTW, the solar red u11 is dual sim only. So no SD card possible?

Flaccus wrote: »
    The performancev differences are marginal in terms of day to day use. Noone got shafted. Your being over dramatic

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-benchmarks_id93192

Also owned the exynos and my sister has the Chinese 835 variant. Almost no difference in real world use

The US model gets better sustained performance and better battery life, from what I've seen and read. In real world use you might not notice a clear difference, but it's there. As I said, last year the EU model was better, this year it's the other way around.

Shafted is just a figure of speech, maybe it is too dramatic. If I was spending some €800-900 outright on an S8 or S8+ I wouldn't want to know that it has the best possible hardware options available.

• Advertisement

BTW, the solar red u11 is dual sim only. So no SD card possible?

I was of the understanding that the SD can be mounted in the second SIM slot? Open to correction there!

Testament1 wrote: »
    I was of the understanding that the SD can be mounted in the second SIM slot? Open to correction there!

Yup, that's correct. All the European guys I know with dual SIM are just using it the same as our model, with the second SIM slot holding an SD card instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Did your Spigen cases arrive? I ordered with 1 day delivery on Wed, should have had them yesterday. Still no sign, so Amazon have refunded my shipping.

No got an email saying was a delay that if don't receive it by Tuesday to get in contact.

It's hard to decide which is better on a crap computer screen. Does the U11 shot look a bit dark in the left corner.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0aDVK

Disclaimer: I'm no photographer.

S8 certainly does look good in that outdoor shot! I fancied a change for a bit again so have gone ahead and ordered a Sapphire Blue 11. Might swap it for an S8 if I end up not liking it haha.

Testament1 wrote: »
    S8 certainly does look good in that outdoor shot! I fancied a change for a bit again so have gone ahead and ordered a Sapphire Blue 11. Might swap it for an S8 if I end up not liking it haha.

Does the S8 shots look a bit samsung oversaturated ? I had an S8 plus and while I liked the photos I guess I didn't have a comparison. Got rid of it over the lag setting in which no amount of factory resets sorted.

The G4 looks nice.

• Advertisement

To me, it just looks like the U11 is the only one that didn't use HDR.

The U11 is finally getting 1080p 60fps video in an upcoming update.

Can you change your LED notification light to be any colour you want? (Like you can on a Samsung?)

Vahevala wrote: »
    Can you change your LED notification light to be any colour you want? (Like you can on a Samsung?)

Only has amber and green LEDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yuGfzw8uxw

This guy considers the U11 the best overall flagship smartphone.

• Advertisement

The problem is the iris scanner does not work reliably outdoors in bright light and even Samsung warns about this. Hopefully your phone won't start lagging like my s8 plus.

The problem is the iris scanner does not work reliably outdoors in bright light and even Samsung warns about this. Hopefully your phone won't start lagging like my s8 plus.

Sammy lag is like the OnePlus jelly effect. Some people will never notice it, for other people it will drive them crazy.

Sammy lag is like the OnePlus jelly effect. Some people will never notice it, for other people it will drive them crazy.

Don't agree entirely. The one plus lag is all about what your eyes/brain perceive. The lag on the S8 i am talking about is actually measurable in real time and is not really to do with frame drops when scrolling through home screens, app screens or web pages (which I think it what most people refer to as the samsung touchwiz lag). The lag I am referring to is more to do with transition delays inside and between apps. Example, when sharing a link on youtube for example I have seen delays of up to 3 or 4 seconds before an app opens. I have also seen the same issue in the google photos app though not as bad where swiping across will cause the screen to judder and then sharing a photo will result in a delay before the app opens. The camera app can take an age to open sometimes. Or the dialer can take a few seconds to disconnect. Most annoying is this is random.

How long from order to delivery on the U11 from HTC Ireland ? thanks.

• Advertisement

Last ****ing time I bother with parcel motel. Still waiting on these covers told me this morning was out on order. Then gave me estimate time 7pm.

After 8 now. 11 ****ing euro delivery as well.

Last ****ing time I bother with parcel motel. Still waiting on these covers told me this morning was out on order. Then gave me estimate time 7pm.

After 8 now. 11 ****ing euro delivery as well.

Can't remember if I posted in here or not. Mine arrived on Saturday. How come your delivery is so expensive? I paid £8 for next day delivery which was refunded.

Can't remember if I posted in here or not. Mine arrived on Saturday. How come your delivery is so expensive? I paid £8 for next day delivery which was refunded.

The Amazon delivery was delayed so it wasn't out for delivery with parcel motel till today.

I had to pay the standard fee and extra to have it delivered to my place. Never again.

Ok so delivery finally comes tried both cases first major issue is both covers push the screen protecter s up slightly which creates bubbles and must be raising the glass protector to.

Ok so delivery finally comes tried both cases first major issue is both covers push the screen protecter s up slightly which creates bubbles and must be raising the glass protector to.

Don't use screen protectors. Fixed.

• Advertisement

Don't use screen protectors. Fixed.

Not risky without one?

The one I have on is actually really good as well for once!

Never came across any screen protector ever (at least glass) which was worth a damn on curved glass. Full screen ones only have adhesive along edges and ruin touch or pop off, others don't cover enough of screen and lift and let dust under, others just mess with the clarity.

Is the back of the U11 more at risk of scratches then the front. I assume the back is gorilla glass 5 ?

Also Sapphire blue or Solar Red ? will use a spigen liquid crystal clear case if I decide on getting the U11.

Mine scratched first day which I found surprising so I reluctantly put one on. You need one that covers only the bare screen and not the curved bezels.

Did you find one yourself that fit fine?

I did, but after trying a glass one that lifted on the edges I went with a plastic one.

I used plastic on all my phones before this and found they worked fine.

Which one did u use?

This one. Luckily it's a two pack as I made a balls of the first one.

http://ie.mobilefun.com/63874-olixar-htc-u11-screen-protector-2-in-1-pack.htm

Nice one thanks I'll give it a look.

I got the same brand in a gel case too which for pretty nicely and has separate cutouts for the flash and camera which I preferred, though it has loosened over time which I never found with the Spigen on my old phone.

The blue is so sexy and the phone feels great with no case but I had the fear. Too nice a back to put a dbrand on too.

Ya there's no way I'm using it without a case! Ha.

The two spigen cases seem like great cases so be worth changing screen protecter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement