Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC 11 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Going to post in here as I feel if I post in the S8 thread people are going to be biased after paying so much for a phone.

Moving away from iPhone 6 during the week, have narrowed it down to 3 contenders:
    Samsung S7 Edge - €250
    HTC U11 - €300 (comes with RE camera also)
    Samsung S8 - €400

What are peoples suggestions? Have never used HTC or Samsung so have no idea what to expect, done quite a bit of research into the phones and finding it hard to decide. Samsung definitely looks like a nicer phone but I don't care too much about the appearance, I'd be more concerned with how well it works and how practical it is to use.

HTC seems to have a better camera and sound from the headphones (although lack of jack is annoying), the fingerprint scanner on the S8 is putting me off and the fact that it doesn't have a home button, but maybe these are trivial things that I will get used to. Which phone has a nicer interface to use? Presuming same apps are available on both as they are both Android but generally does Samsung or HTC have better features? Girlfriend has a Samsung S6 and it seems to have some cool features that I don't have on my iPhone 6.

Any advice would be appreciated! Struggling to think of a time I have been so indecisive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Patww79 wrote: »

Cheers for that post, exactly what information I was looking for. I found the more I read reviews online and watched comparisons on youtube the harder it was making my decision. Went for the S8 in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Question for Basil3 - just ordered the U11 solar red from HTC Ireland. Can't wait for it. On my HTC 10 I really enjoyed the viper rom and think I will be flashing again.
    http://venomroms.com/downloads-htc-u11/

After the usual unlocking bootloader, install twrp and backing up stock, is it just a matter of flashing ViperU_1.3.0_MAGISK.zip. Does this automatically root the phone as well ? What are the implications of not having soff ?

thanks

Flaccus wrote: »
    Question for Basil3 - just ordered the U11 solar red from HTC Ireland. Can't wait for it. On my HTC 10 I really enjoyed the viper rom and think I will be flashing again.
    http://venomroms.com/downloads-htc-u11/

After the usual unlocking bootloader, install twrp and backing up stock, is it just a matter of flashing ViperU_1.3.0_MAGISK.zip. Does this automatically root the phone as well ? What are the implications of not having soff ?

thanks

I personally don't use the Magisk ROM, I just use the standard ROM. Of course, the main reason is that my theme isn't Magisk compatible.

No S-OFF only really means we can't update firmware, so you need to return to stock and take official OTA. I guess that's a benefit of running stock with Magisk ROM, you can easily return to fully stock to take the HTC OTA's. Myself and most of the venom guys are still running the original firmware, with the latest ROM based on newer firmware and there's no issues.

Actually, seems you can flash the new firmware as long as it's signed, so I'm gonna update my firmware to 1.13 base now. I think it will wipe the device, though.

I'm trying to find a simple guide.

Basic steps are:

1. Unlock bootloader using HTC Dev here: https://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/

2. Flash custom recovery: https://twrp.me/devices/htcu11.html

3. Install custom ROM.

Your device will be wiped during the process. I can help via PM or hangouts if you need it, but it's pretty straightforward.

Basically the firmware part of your device is protected by security, so flashing a ROM doesn't touch this bit. If HTC send out an OTA, it will usually update this part of your device. When you're rooted and have an unlocked bootloader, you don't receive these OTA's any more.

In my case, I was still on the original 1.03.401.x firmware, even though I'm running a 1.13.401.x ROM. It's not a big deal, but my firmware isn't matching the ROM. I actually just flashed the signed OTA now, followed by recovery and ROM again to get my up to date with firmware matching the ROM. Took 5 mins max.

In your case, it won't be a problem, because you've already updated to the 1.13 firmware from HTC, so you'll already have matching fw and ROM. It will only be when HTC push out further updates where you might have to worry about it. It's actually quite easy to update the fw separately, though. I've just done it without having to return to stock or wipe my device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Quick query guys. Is there such a thing as a Macro mode on the U11 Camera? Or, is it just a case that the camera just detects what mode it needs to be for any given instance?

Also, is there an option to 'Tap to focus', or, again, should that just be automatic?

Ta.
    R

Quick query guys. Is there such a thing as a Macro mode on the U11 Camera? Or, is it just a case that the camera just detects what mode it needs to be for any given instance?

Also, is there an option to 'Tap to focus', or, again, should that just be automatic?

Ta.
    R

No macro, it just focuses on what it needs to. It's tap to focus by default. It will focus on the object in the middle of the screen, unless you tap elsewhere.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I personally don't use the Magisk ROM, I just use the standard ROM. Of course, the main reason is that my theme isn't Magisk compatible.

No S-OFF only really means we can't update firmware, so you need to return to stock and take official OTA. I guess that's a benefit of running stock with Magisk ROM, you can easily return to fully stock to take the HTC OTA's. Myself and most of the venom guys are still running the original firmware, with the latest ROM based on newer firmware and there's no issues.

Actually, seems you can flash the new firmware as long as it's signed, so I'm gonna update my firmware to 1.13 base now. I think it will wipe the device, though.

Cool. If I go with standard rom (so I can use the dark theme of course :), I assume I need to root with Magisk/Magisk Manager. This seems like a good guide which covers everything up to installing the viper rom.
    http://www.theandroidsoul.com/htc-u11-root-twrp-recovery-and-bootloader-unlock/

One last question. On the HTC10 you could restore stock very quickly by simply having the ruu on your sd card. You just had to rename the file and boot into htc download mode and it would be picked up automatically. Can you still do this with the U11 reliably.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72831916&postcount=3

As no soff do the cid and mid for the ruu have to match your phone exactly ?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15JL3tRWDSVOUKo_revEYtQ_tRcOSJ0vWcvk8a7TK8Hk/edit#gid=0

I ordered the Solar Red dual sim from HTC Ireland so presumably this may be an RUU to use :
    1.13.401.1 2PYC30000 HTC__001, DUGL (Dual SIM) EMEA

Thanks

Flaccus wrote: »
    Cool. If I go with standard rom (so I can use the dark theme of course :), I assume I need to root with Magisk/Magisk Manager. This seems like a good guide which covers everything up to installing the viper rom.
    http://www.theandroidsoul.com/htc-u11-root-twrp-recovery-and-bootloader-unlock/

One last question. On the HTC10 you could restore stock very quickly by simply having the ruu on your sd card. You just had to rename the file and boot into htc download mode and it would be picked up automatically. Can you still do this with the U11 reliably.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72831916&postcount=3

As no soff do the cid and mid for the ruu have to match your phone exactly ?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15JL3tRWDSVOUKo_revEYtQ_tRcOSJ0vWcvk8a7TK8Hk/edit#gid=0

I ordered the Solar Red dual sim from HTC Ireland so presumably this may be an RUU to use :
    1.13.401.1 2PYC30000 HTC__001, DUGL (Dual SIM) EMEA

Thanks

Yeah, you can still use the SD card method, and that would be the right RUU for you, if you have a dual SIM.

Noticed you and Basil3 had light bleed issues on bottom of screen. Other then the reviewer in Android Police reporting this also; I have not seen any other reviews or users on forums mention this. Do you think this bleed is hard to notice and is something that could be on a significant number of U11's due to the way they panel is fitted/manufactured. That being the case, going through RMA's till you get a good 'un would be pointless. Seems to be sport over an AVForums for TV's.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, you can still use the SD card method, and that would be the right RUU for you, if you have a dual SIM.

Sound. I'd just feel comfortable having some sort of fallback in case rooting, flashing vipe goes wrong. Plus if you wanted to return from Viper to get a firmware update through OTA, this sounds like the way to do it easily. Alternatively, I assume you can use TWRP to restore your Nandroid backup.

That definitely sounds like a manufacturing defect allright. I hope the return process is straightforward. I'm surprised more users on this thread don't have the issue considering you have seen a good few reports on other forums.

• Advertisement

I'd posted this picture I found of a HTC 10 and it's the closest thing I can see to what my U11 is like. Mines not quite as prominent but it's pretty close.

226920d1462675216t-bleed-seepage-bottom-screen-20160507_222445a.jpg

I mentioned it to HTC US when they called to see if I was happy with the phone and she seemed aware of it and said to contact support here about it. If I wasn't heading away Monday on my hols I'd have done it already.

Yeah, that's a big exaggeration of how mine is. I don't really notice it too much, but it is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I had the tiniest hint of the light bleed thing on mine. You'd really have to be looking for it to notice.

Doesn't matter now as I think I'm seeing the end of my arguments with htc over the lob sided power button, they've finally offered me a refund so I'm tracking the phone on the way to Poland again tonight.

Going to buy a new unit asap. Briefly considered if there are any other options but there isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

It seems like every phone has an issue these days :(

The U11 with this light bleed, S8 with the lags and Bixby button nonsense so I guess there just is no perfect device.

Would the light bleed be bad enough to advise others not to buy the phone?

Vahevala wrote: »

To me absolutely not.

The U11 with this light bleed, S8 with the lags and Bixby button nonsense so I guess there just is no perfect device.

There has never been a perfect phone, and there never will be.

Absolutely zero light bleed on mine

My customer service saga continues. They agreed last week to refund me finally, but the ticket sheet they sent to include specifically said no accessories. So queried this as i thought it was strange but i was reassured it was right.

They ring me today asking why i didn't include the accessories! After some back and forth they gave me 3 options, they deduct the price from the refund, I send them at my own cost, or they send a replacement unit.

They flat out refused multiple times already to offer a replacement unit! So fit to burst I held it together and said yes I will accept a replacement unit. **** sake.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    My customer service saga continues. They agreed last week to refund me finally, but the ticket sheet they sent to include specifically said no accessories. So queried this as i thought it was strange but i was reassured it was right.

They ring me today asking why i didn't include the accessories! After some back and forth they gave me 3 options, they deduct the price from the refund, I send them at my own cost, or they send a replacement unit.

They flat out refused multiple times already to offer a replacement unit! So fit to burst I held it together and said yes I will accept a replacement unit. **** sake.

They sound like complete morons to deal with.

Anyone get the spigen cases yet? Im thinking of ordering the liquid crystal, wondering if there is much of a lip on the screen edges? The olixer case barely comes to the edges so doesn't offer much in terms of screen protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyone get the spigen cases yet? Im thinking of ordering the liquid crystal, wondering if there is much of a lip on the screen edges? The olixer case barely comes to the edges so doesn't offer much in terms of screen protection.

I have liquid and rugged both have slight lip doesn't seem be as much as before but I'd imagine give certain amount protection.

Nice case overall doesn't slip as much and feels sturdy. Obviously there's issue with screen protecter s as lot of us have found!

Yeah, there's a definite lip. It would protect it if it fell face down. I do still miss the smooth slide in from the side to open the navigation drawer in a few apps, though. The side of the case makes it a bit more awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Anyone use the Google search widget.. I've always turned on the feeds for travel time etc which normally shows below the widget but it doesn't do it on the U11. It worked on my previous OPO 3t and Nexus 6. The U11 shown the information in the notification bar, but it's hidden until you scroll down.
    Can anyone confirm they are having the same issue..

1jcdub wrote: »
    Anyone use the Google search widget.. I've always turned on the feeds for travel time etc which normally shows below the widget but it doesn't do it on the U11. It worked on my previous OPO 3t and Nexus 6. The U11 shown the information in the notification bar, but it's hidden until you scroll down.
    Can anyone confirm they are having the same issue..

Can't say I've ever used it. Is that the Google feed widget, where it just says 'more cards' at the bottom?

Personally, I just use Nova launcher with the Google Now add-on, where you swipe left to go to your Google now feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wamwig

Does the U11 not support 4G+ or just not show it on the screen? I've 2 friends with one and both only show 4G where my S7 shows 4G+

Wamwig wrote: »
    Does the U11 not support 4G+ or just not show it on the screen? I've 2 friends with one and both only show 4G where my S7 shows 4G+

It supports it. Are they on custom ROMs? I know some people were saying the 4G+ icon wasn't showing on custom ROMs, but it was there on stock.

I guess the simple test is to do a speed test and see what they get.

No they've no ROM on them. Both are on 3 so maybe it's a 3 thing

• Advertisement

The amount of people in the various threads wondering about signal/coverage and then it always turns out to be with 3.

No the coverage is fine. I'm with them myself and have full 4G+ so was wondering why their phones only show as 4G. Maybe it's the Three software or something. I'll try a Speedtest later and check if there's a difference

Check the apn settings off yours.

I think it's the way Three have it displayed. Did a test there and the HTC had a ping of 25 with 73.8 down and 44.3 up where my S7 had a ping of 13 with 50.6 down and 40.7 up

Wamwig wrote: »
    I think it's the way Three have it displayed. Did a test there and the HTC had a ping of 25 with 73.8 down and 44.3 up where my S7 had a ping of 13 with 50.6 down and 40.7 up

It could be to do with HTC as well. Pretty sure I can remember 4G+ displaying on my old S6 Edge+ when I was with 3, but can't remember ever seeing it on my HTC 10.

• Advertisement

Pop a 3 SIM in and let us know if you can find 4G+ anywhere :P

By the way, a guy I know has done an app for the U11 that unlocks more functionality for edge sense. Some things restricted to having root and/or paying for premium.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.duong.edgesenseplus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭GIMP

Bought U11 over weekend, great phone. One annoyance is Heads off Notifications,

Is there any solution for disabling Popups from Whatsapp.

On Marshmallow you could adjust peaking in the settings.

With Nougat it disables the sound and popup with no other option

• Advertisement
Advertisement