Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finglas, Dublin 11 - Ballyconnell, Cavan - My Journey

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mope wrote: »
    That is cool, did not know this... so I can wave with AIB or Leap card and I am in? (provided they are compatible)
    Basically they read data of who is using the system, but not charging anything yet, correct?

Yes. I used my PTSB ATM card on my Belfast-Dublin trip when I first bought the car.

But. Some people have said that some chargers have been updated and don't accept them.

If I was you, id contact eCars and tell them
    You are buying an EV. Link the car you are buying and they'll ask for proof of address and ID and they will send the cards to you. You then send a copy of the vlc once bought in your name for their records. This is all done by email also.

ecars@esb.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Slightly high jacking your thread here kceire but just to note i needed to use a granny for first few weeks of ownership but needed windows and doors locked also. What worked for me was a downstairs vent. It was large enough to accommodate the bulky granny EVSE and allow the cable to reach the car and socket.
    Might be an unusual solution for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Hi kceire,

Thanks for the info!
    I've applied for Access card on Tue night and first thing in the morning, like 8.15 AM, got an email that it's in the post (2 cards) to me. Was VERY surprised with such a quick reply. I simply said I am buying the car, quoted dealer iD, Grant application reference, that was enough for them.

Hi s.welstead,

This is what I think of doing myself. I have 2 vents in Living room, one of them is low to the ground. Will try to hold of doing holes in vents and see if IONIQ is that good so I can charge on way home in station to full and then home -> work -> station -> home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Charging to full takes quite a long time but charging from 30%-80% on a 50kW charger in the Ioniq takes just over 15 minutes :cool:

And would be a lot faster again if the fast chargers in Ireland weren't so slow...

unkel wrote: »
    Charging to full takes quite a long time but charging from 30%-80% on a 50kW charger in the Ioniq takes just over 15 minutes :cool:

And would be a lot faster again if the fast chargers in Ireland weren't so slow...

Yes agree. I got from 48% to 80% in less than 20mins.
    Every 1% increase above 80% took 2 mins.

• Advertisement

Ok, on to the return leg.

Left The Slieve Russel Hotel at 100% at 11.10am.

Drove the twisty roads to Cavan town junction in B mode and no cruise with heater off (14 degrees temp external).

Got to the junction which is circa 24km with 80% remaining.

Arrived at Maxol Navan with 18% Battery Remaining.
    Used heater on and off occasionally and cruise control set to 100kmh on motorway and a mix of 90-95kmh driving in between.

Short test on M3 = 100kmh cruise set with no heater, 5.1km used 5%.

Here now, another leaf using but he said he be only 10 mins. All I need is a 22% boost to get home but I'll try to get l up to 60% plus so I can boot it home :)

Roads seem to be more up hill coming back.

Home al done.
    Got to 73% by 1.05pm in Navan so headed home.
    Not many stats, just booted it. Used a lot more battery getting from navan to finglas then I did the opposite way the other day, but I wasn't Battery watching this time.

Cruise set to 110kmh and 4km used 5%.

kceire wrote: »
    Home al done.
    Got to 73% by 1.05pm in Navan so headed home.
    Not many stats, just booted it. Used a lot more battery getting from navan to finglas then I did the opposite way the other day, but I wasn't Battery watching this time.

Cruise set to 110kmh and 4km used 5%.

80km range at 110km/h indicated (real speed a tiny bit over 100km/h). Ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats not the true range.

The % readout isnt linear so you cant work it out like that. Not sure if the Ioniq is the same or not. What you really need to see to figure out range at a particular speed is the Wh/km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,162 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah I'd say thats a little underestimated but not far off.

I would do 120km on around 85-95% at indicated 102 km/h depending on a/c use.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Thats not the true range.

The % readout isnt linear so you cant work it out like that. Not sure if the Ioniq is the same or not. What you really need to see to figure out range at a particular speed is the Wh/km.

It should be linear! If you drive at a constant speed from 100% to 95% your distance times 20 should be your total range at that speed, although it obviously isn't as precise as going from 100% to 5% at that speed :)

Driving from full to (almost) empty, disregarding speedo / guesso / Wh indication and just looking at time + odo before and after should give much more accurate reading of range and average speed.

160km/h real speed is indicated in some cars as 160km/h, in others as 180km/h. Both would be fully compliant with the regulations...

It should be linear! If you drive at a constant speed from 100% to 95% your distance times 20 should be your total range at that speed, although it obviously isn't as precise as going from 100% to 5% at that speed :)
    In the 24 kWh leaf it is most certainly not linear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

ELM327 wrote: »
    In the 24 kWh leaf it is most certainly not linear.

+1

I know it isn't but it should be :D

In the mean time, best not to trust it or the guessometer. Was that last term not invented for the Leaf?

When I test drove it, it seemed to behave. But when I put my foot down hard a few times it lost 20km in about 1km :D

I regularly leave my house with 20-30 km more on the guessometer than I have ever achieved in even the most hypermiling of driving. It's not so much a guessometer as a "wrong because I am overoptimistic"-ometer

My guess is that Nissan made a design decision to make the % non-linear to reduce the risk of running out of power along with the fact that it over-reads the speed by ~10%.

Its "cheating" but its in the users best interest I suppose.

If you want to see the true figures you need to look at LeafSpy.

45 % in instrument cluster is just over 50 percent of battery remaining if I remember correctly checking my 24 kWh car with LeafSpy. When the VLBW kicks in at around 7 percent my car at least can still go another 10 kilometers when driven carefully before the turtle mode. The turtle allowed another few kilometers (3 if I remember it right) before shutdown. The car should be driven like an egg between your shoe and the pedal at low battery level to maximize the range. The car will shutdown early if it detects any of the cells getting below the safe voltage. When driven really carefully during VLBW the drain/load induced voltage sag is minimized and you get more watt hours out before the voltage goes too low and the car shuts down.

I have actually never bothered driving without heating. As the GOM will always show the expected range left and the nav shows the distance to the charger just make sure you always have at least a few extra kilometers of buffer. If the buffer at level road starts to close towards 5 km just reduce your speed by 5 km/h. I suspect that cycling the heating on an off might actually be worse for the range than just having it on permanently. Just leave it at low constant setting in auto mode. The heating will automatically enter to a low drain mode after the low battery warning anyway.

My guess is that Nissan made a design decision to make the % non-linear to reduce the risk of running out of power along with the fact that it over-reads the speed by ~10%.

Its "cheating" but its in the users best interest I suppose.

That's patronising. I'd prefer all instruments to be accurate (like you typically get in a Porsche or BMW). That said, I think the turtle mode is a good idea. Is it reliable? As in when it comes on, performance is severely restricted and you have at the very least 2km left or something like that?

I'm not aware if other EVs have something similar? Ioniq?

That's patronising. I'd prefer all instruments to be accurate (like you typically get in a Porsche or BMW). That said, I think the turtle mode is a good idea. Is it reliable? As in when it comes on, performance is severely restricted and you have at the very least 2km left or something like that?

You could look at it as patronising. I didnt take it personally myself! :)

The km's remaining that you see in an ICE car is pessimistic as well for the same reason. Think of it as a reserve.

But the 10% over-read on the speedo is a bit too much for my liking.

The turtle mode is not an exact science either. If you draw high power for even a short period of time it will hit turtle well before the 2 or 3km.

Turtle (apparently its actually a tortoise!) is really only meant to be used to get you off the road to a safe place rather than get you to a charger.

Turtle mode gave me 2.8-3km of urban driving before complete shut down.
    Heavily reduced power.

• Advertisement

I'd find that very useful. Petty the Ioniq doesn't have it. Basically you know what your range is (after a while). If you push it too far (or forget about range) and you can't make it to your destination and the car goes in turtle mode and you won't be able to reach home, you're pretty much guaranteed to be no further than 3km from a slow charge point anywhere in the Dublin area. I like that idea.

I'd find that very useful. Petty the Ioniq doesn't have it. Basically you know what your range is (after a while). If you push it too far (or forget about range) and you can't make it to your destination and the car goes in turtle mode and you won't be able to reach home, you're pretty much guaranteed to be no further than 3km from a slow charge point anywhere in the Dublin area. I like that idea.

This post details exactly my limits from my. Real down

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102961031&postcount=147

I wouldn't at all bank on being able to get 3km every time turtle comes on. It depends on how balanced the cells are, temp and for instance if those 3km's are up or down hill.

Some folks have reported as little as a few 100 metres.

I wouldn't at all bank on being able to get 3km every time turtle comes on. It depends on how balanced the cells are, temp and for instance if those 3km's are up or down hill.

Some folks have reported as little as a few 100 metres.

May be best to say that once the double dash lines come on, you have 5km to get to a plug!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ioniq has a turtle mode, even has the turtle logo. We kicked into with 5km left on the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Ioniq has turtle mode too :-)

Cool. I'd say that's very useful. 5km is even better. Pretty much means that if I'm anywhere in the Dublin area, I don't really have to worry about range. Turtle kicks in => go to nearest slow charger to charge up for up to half an hour => make it home / to fast charger

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Who's going to be the first to test the full Ioniq Turtle Range. Baggsy not me!

Cool. I'd say that's very useful. 5km is even better. Pretty much means that if I'm anywhere in the Dublin area, I don't really have to worry about range. Turtle kicks in => go to nearest slow charger to charge up for up to half an hour => make it home / to fast charger

Or plug in when the low battery warning comes on or when the very low battery warning comes on! :)
    Turtle is there for safety more than to get you to a charger.

Also, I dont know about the Ioniq, but the Leaf turtle mode restricts power quite a bit. You will hold up traffic in a bad way.

@liamog, what was turtle mode like in the Ioniq? Was power severely restricted?

• Advertisement

Also, I dont know about the Ioniq, but the Leaf turtle mode restricts power quite a bit. You will hold up traffic in a bad way.

Extremely restricted!
    So much so, that the driver behind you could get out of his car, bang on your window, then get back to his car before you have even reached 20kmh!

Advertisement