Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heart rate and cycling...

• 29-03-2017 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

So I took up cycling for my commute. 26 Km per day. I've been doing it since October.
    I'm seeing a small drop in my weight, which is nice, but I'm not really seeing any huge difference in my time (I'd be expecting this to drop) or my fitness (I'd be expecting it to become easier).
    So I got a heart rate monitor as I figured a new gadget would sort out all of this.

In short, according to this gizmo,
    44% of my time is spent in "speed/pwr" ie rate over 160 bpm.
    37% is spent anerobic,
    4% aerobic,
    9 % fat burn,
    and 12% warm up.

So fantastic, right? It's telling me that I'm spending 81% of my time really working hard. So I should be seeing results...

So I do some research, and I see that really, I'm doing it wrong. I should be taking my time and spending more time in the aerobic/fat burn stage.

Is this right? Is going easier the better way to do it?
    I'm confused.

I'd appreciate anyones time to cut through the jargon, and explain it to me in simple terms.

Many thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Don't focus on weight loss when it comes to exercise. Working out is good for your cardiovascular health and appearance (builds muscle). The more intense the exercise the better an impact it has on your health. I would not deliberately reduce my pace for the sake of optimising calorie burn. It would make a trivial difference anyway. Hurray, you burned 12 extra calories today by adjusting your heart rate zone slightly!

Weight is mostly a factor of your diet. If you're not losing weight at the rate you want then you should reduce your calorie intake. Easier said than done for some, but it's where the issue lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thanks for replying.

So keep going as hard as I can then?
    Shouldn't my time be getting better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zulu wrote: »
    Thanks for replying.

So keep going as hard as I can then?

What's your average speed? On titres where's there's traffic lights it can be hard to improve speed

It should, if you're really pushing yourself. Are you literally no faster than Day 1?

most of my route is cycle lane thankfully (about 2/3 of it).
    Average speed is 23 kmph.

• Advertisement

most of my route is cycle lane thankfully (about 2/3 of it).
    Average speed is 23 kmph.

What type of bike? If you on flat cycle lane with no lights on s road bike you should be averaging about 30odd kph

ted1 wrote: »
    What type of bike? If you on flat cycle lane with no lights on s road bike you should be averaging about 30odd kph

What an odd thing to say. Everyone will be slower or faster depending on their fitness level.

Zillah wrote: »
    What an odd thing to say. Everyone will be slower or faster depending on their fitness level.

That's the average he should be aiming for on a road bike on a straight. And is quite attainable. On a heavier bike with fat tyres it would be much less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

30 odd is a bit high in fairness!

Actual average of most cyclists is 27kph in my experience.

As a indication, 30 odd (35) would result in a close to 5 hour ironman bike split which most dont come close to.

So heart rate be damned. 30kpmh is the goal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So heart rate be damned. 30kpmh is the goal?

The goal is to improve. Forget about a magic number. Just build on what you can do. It will feel easier. And your average will increase accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In short, according to this gizmo,
    44% of my time is spent in "speed/pwr" ie rate over 160 bpm.
    37% is spent anerobic,
    4% aerobic,
    9 % fat burn,
    and 12% warm up.
    My fitbit has 3 zones fat burn from 50-70%, cardio 70-85%, and peak 85% plus. Most advanced systems use 6 zones. The 4 zones above is probably a happy medium.

How that work it out those zones? That's more important that the names. It's not really clear what's anaerobic vrs power would be.
    So I do some research, and I see that really, I'm doing it wrong. I should be taking my time and spending more time in the aerobic/fat burn stage.
    Should be in that zone based on what?
    Different zones have different training effects.

That's the average he should be aiming for on a road bike on a straight. And is quite attainable. On a heavier bike with fat tyres it would be much less

That's a ridiculous generalization.
    Like saying everyone should be aiming for a double bodyweight HB squat, or a sub 20min 5km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Mellor wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous generalization.

30 odd was the best bit.

Keeping everything else the same(on hoods, flat cycle with clinchers etc), and just varying speed from 30km-35km increases power from 183W to 274W for an 80kg rider on a 9kg bike.

http://bikecalculator.com/wattsMetric.html

OP just ride your bike, enjoy it. Forget about the numbers data etc.

Advertisement