Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Composite door

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

Munster doors are cheaper because the frame and door are made separately. So fit may not be as good.

It's obvious too. The frame is always white and the door is whatever colour you choose. Doesn't look as good.
    im afraid to tell you but all frames and doors are made seperate. Of all the doors mentioned above apeer are the only ones who actually make a composite frame to match the door, but ive only seen it used once. Its nearly always a cheap pvc frame thats used with nearly all of the companies, but the majority of people dont even notice. Munster joinery are about the only ones out there who will give the person the option of whether they want, timber, pvc or a heavy grade frame.
    Palladio in my opinion are one of the poorest doors available with a crappy locking system.
    A good composite door fitted will cost 2k plus whatever bells and whistles you want then. Anything less and there is corners being cut. No two doors being quoted here will be identical in size , detail and structure, sidelights, fan lights, colours will even have an effect so unless your all from the one estate, looking for the same door there wont be a true comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Who2 wrote: »
    im afraid to tell you but all frames and doors are made seperate. Of all the doors mentioned above apeer are the only ones who actually make a composite frame to match the door, but ive only seen it used once. Its nearly always a cheap pvc frame thats used with nearly all of the companies, but the majority of people dont even notice. Munster joinery are about the only ones out there who will give the person the option of whether they want, timber, pvc or a heavy grade frame.
    Palladio in my opinion are one of the poorest doors available with a crappy locking system.
    A good composite door fitted will cost 2k plus whatever bells and whistles you want then. Anything less and there is corners being cut. No two doors being quoted here will be identical in size , detail and structure, sidelights, fan lights, colours will even have an effect so unless your all from the one estate, looking for the same door there wont be a true comparison.

I have fitted many of these doors and TBH I find the Palladio to be the best quality door.Any apeer doors I have seen the leaf fades terribly and I have seen a few with cracks in the leaf too.The mj doors I have worked on have all been wooden frame and leaf and they are shocking quality I have a neighbour who has had over 12 dg units fitted in her door and sidescreen,s. so 3 times they have been out and Everytime the satin glass inside the units has been marked,and they are refusing to refund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

listermint wrote: »
    Picked this Camden Palladio up for 999 eur. Side panels integrated . Self install so not for the faint hearted obviously.

Out of interest did they give you a u-value?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

massy086 wrote: »
    I have fitted many of these doors and TBH I find the Palladio to be the best quality door.Any apeer doors I have seen the leaf fades terribly and I have seen a few with cracks in the leaf too.The mj doors I have worked on have all been wooden frame and leaf and they are shocking quality I have a neighbour who has had over 12 dg units fitted in her door and sidescreen,s. so 3 times they have been out and Everytime the satin glass inside the units has been marked,and they are refusing to refund

We will agree to differ but I wouldn’t have Palladio doors around the place, they look alright but they are pure scrap. A massive seller up around Dublin. Apeer did have a run of discoloration on doors but they have that sorted now but then again so did Palladio especially. Now tell me that any of the doors mentioned will match Munster joineries structurally, the only one to come close would be the apeer with composite frame but it’s cost will deter most. Munster has its flaws yes but it’s hard to beat its product, even compare the bottom rails, they go with either a full pvc rail, which will scuff Mark and eventually snap along the top of it or else the flimsy aluminum low level that depends on a seal of silicone to stop moisture ingress. The muster one is full aluminum dropped 25mm into the floor with a thermal break.
    Then compare the e999 option, looks alright but when that 20mm panel starts to fade and the frame shakes more than normal due to no stiffeners or the sidelights crack when the pressure comes on wrong some day and yes it will because that frame is depending on some of its strengths from the glazing well then it won’t be the price that’s wrong it’ll be the manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

that's not a composite door it's a pvc door with a panel

Shows what you know. It's a composite door. I know full well what the difference is you absolute looper.

If your thinking it's not composite because of the price it's because it's wholesale.

Go back to bed Massy.

• Advertisement

Out of interest did they give you a u-value?

There was u valu stickers on it. Can I remember what they are no I installed it about 4 months ago.

Shows what you know. It's a composite door. I know full well what the difference is you absolute looper.

If your thinking it's not composite because of the price it's because it's wholesale.

Go back to bed Massy.

I can assure you your door is not a composite door I'm not having a pop at your door it is a nice looking door. but a composite door has a leaf that is made composite material and a pvc frame.your door has a PVC frame then the door frame and then a panel in the center.thus making it a upvc door not a composite door.

https://www.camdengroup.co.uk/products/inliten-doors/

https://pin.it/3eX5mZq

You will notice on the second link the composite door is one peice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I saw this on the front page and am in the market for a new front door.
    So have been researching and the last few posts haven’t really shed any definitive light on the matter either.

Isn’t Palladio a manufacturer of composite doors,
    Cant be a Camden Palladio? Must of meant a Camden composite?

So PVC is crap from I can gather from researching.
    I see many complaints about composites and which is best and not the best.

Anyway whats the deal with a solid wooden door and frame?
    I don’t see any complaints about wooden doors.
    Is it Just that they require maintenance ?

After trawling through the internet for the last day or 2 I’ve my mind made up on a wooden door if the price is cheaper , if it’s the same price as a composite I will go with a composite.

So any Opinions on why not to go with a good wooden door?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Picked this Camden Palladio up for 999 eur. Side panels integrated . Self install so not for the faint hearted obviously.

Camden and Palladio are different manufacturers. Palladio is manufactured in Limerick by Profile Developments while
    Lintern is a Camden Group product manufactured in NI.

Camden make PVC and composite doors.

I can assure you your door is not a composite door I'm not having a pop at your door it is a nice looking door. but a composite door has a leaf that is made composite material and a pvc frame.your door has a PVC frame then the door frame and then a panel in the center.thus making it a upvc door not a composite door.

https://www.camdengroup.co.uk/products/inliten-doors/

https://pin.it/3eX5mZq

You will notice on the second link the composite door is one peice

Apologies your probably right. Look like like it , assumed it was because of actual weight ,depth, materials inside hinge holes and low u value.

• Advertisement

Apologies your probably right. Look like like it , assumed it was because of actual weight ,depth, materials inside hinge holes and low u value.

No probs at all.i was,nt being smart. I was just trying to show for the point of the thread that there is a big price difference between a composite door and a pvc door.They are 2 very different products and price will always reflect this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm going to be looking for a new door in the near future. Are there any noticeable differences or must haves between the likes of palladio, apeer, solidor etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well I got a quote for a Palladio composite door with 1 side panel frosted glass from a company in Limerick.

2080 euro fitted which is good Value I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭in2dark

Im looking for a single composite door with no side panels.

I have quotes for the same door that range from 1600-2400 !

Most of them are around 1900

Always for the same palladio model.

They all say that apeer would cost 100 more.

Im sooo confused, dont know if the 1600 or 1700 will cut corners. What I know for sure is that Im not paying more than 2000.

Any ideas/hints?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

in2dark wrote: »
    Im looking for a single composite door with no side panels.

I have quotes for the same door that range from 1600-2400 !

Most of them are around 1900

Always for the same palladio model.

They all say that apeer would cost 100 more.

Im sooo confused, dont know if the 1600 or 1700 will cut corners. What I know for sure is that Im not paying more than 2000.

Any ideas/hints?

Read up on the installers. See how peoples experiences have been.

I got a quote of 1600 and 1800 for a Paladio door on its own. The 1800 guy was recommended (friend is a friend of his), but he was doing it on his own time so he agreed to 1600 for me.

~2400 was a price I got for side panels (even though we don't have any). I'd rule them out anyways.

Read up on the installers. See how peoples experiences have been.

I got a quote of 1600 and 1800 for a Paladio door on its own. The 1800 guy was recommended (friend is a friend of his), but he was doing it on his own time so he agreed to 1600 for me.

~2400 was a price I got for side panels (even though we don't have any). I'd rule them out anyways.

The 1600 are two different ppl who only have fb page presence. Have positive reviews but then again it is just fb page...

The 1850-1900 are local companies

Then there is a shop that sells not only doors but also floors and stoves and they advertise on their website 1600 supply and fitted by their own fitters (i guess contractors). This shop is in west dublin and i think i will pay them a visit to see. Their google reviews are almost positive (only couple negatives).

Sooo confused

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

The 1600 are two different ppl who only have fb page presence. Have positive reviews but then again it is just fb page...

The 1850-1900 are local companies

Then there is a shop that sells not only doors but also floors and stoves and they advertise on their website 1600 supply and fitted by their own fitters (i guess contractors). This shop is in west dublin and i think i will pay them a visit to see. Their google reviews are almost positive (only couple negatives).

Sooo confused

I also got a price from 3 different people on the same door. One had a showroom, the other two didnt. €2,300 for the Apeer and €2,200 for the Palladio in the first place. The other two were €1,900 and €1,700.

peteb2 wrote: »
    I also got a price from 3 different people on the same door. One had a showroom, the other two didnt. €2,300 for the Apeer and €2,200 for the Palladio in the first place. The other two were €1,900 and €1,700.

Im really afraid handing deposit to ppl with no showroom presence. What have you decided? Is it a single door your are looking at?
    If there was a way to pay the deposit directly to the manufacturer...

Im really afraid handing deposit to ppl with no showroom presence. What have you decided? Is it a single door your are looking at?
    If there was a way to pay the deposit directly to the manufacturer...
    Maybe ask the company/tradesman would that be possible to pay the manufacturer.I personally wouldn't have a problem with it.and tbh I find the bigger the showroom. The bigger the price.2200-2300 showroom.1800-1900 no showroom.some price difference.As for apeer doors I don't rate them at all. I see more and more fade on the door and the skins crack also.I know of a few companies who won't fit them point blank.

so just to update on my research.

I went today to the company that sells it for 1600 supplied and fitted. Descent people is all i can say. They charge extras for the likes of door knocker etc. So the design I like will eventually cost 1680. Nowhere near the 2250 or the 2400 I got from other ones with showroom.

As i said before i got from individuals with no showroom prices from 1600 up to 1900.

I believe it is a no brainer to go with the co i visited today, On top of that they have a couple positive reviews on google regarding their fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I went today to the company that sells it for 1600 supplied and fitted. Descent people is all i can say. They charge extras for the likes of door knocker etc. So the design I like will eventually cost 1680. Nowhere near the 2250 or the 2400 I got from other ones with showroom.

As i said before i got from individuals with no showroom prices from 1600 up to 1900.

I believe it is a no brainer to go with the co i visited today, On top of that they have a couple positive reviews on google regarding their fitting.

Can you post name of company please?

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Can you post name of company please?

I thought it is not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I thought it is not allowed

Not sure, if you could send it by pm that would be great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jocasta

Would you mind sending on the name of the company to me please? Need to get our door replaced soon. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭creedp

Would also appreciate a pm of company as am looking to replace a front door in the next few weeks. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Are Apeer really that bad quality?
    Was contemplating their Silka doors. I just do not like the look of Palladio doors and I can't seem to find anyone else that does contemporary style front doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bnck

@TheBody pls can you send me on info on where you got doors? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭geo88

For anyone that has had a composite door installed - what can you expect in terms of installation and damage to the walls/hallway, if any?

Do you need to do any work after the door is installed to get everything good again? (E.g.: plastering, re-painting, re-flooring, skirting re-done around the door etc.). Or is it generally done in such a way that there's no damage at the end?

PS: could you also PM me the name of the companies that you guys used? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paulos

Would you mind sending on the name of the company to me please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

in2dark wrote:

in2dark wrote:

in2dark wrote:

in2dark wrote:

in2dark wrote:

in2dark wrote:

Hi, I'd appreciate the name of the company too if you wouldn't mind sending it on to me. Thanks

Advertisement