Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip switch goes no matter what plug in

Options
  • 29-03-2017 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Turned on immersion this am and power to sockets went off. Have everything plugged out now and trip switch(is that what's in photo?) turned back on. As soon as I plug anything in the trip goes again. Any ideas? Lights are all grand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Turn off immersion switch in hot press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Did that but everything still tripping.
    My partner is up the walls at work and wants me to wait till he gets home this evening but it'll be too late to call electrician at that stage so if reckon we'll need one anyway, then I'd prefer make the call now so we at least have power tonight!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The device in the photo is an RCD.

I would follow this procedure, it might work:
    1) Turn off all MCBs.
    2) Turn on the RCD. It may stay on now.
    3) Turn on the MCBs one at a time.
    4) See if turning on a particular MCB causes the RCD to trip.
    5) Don't turn this MCB on. This circuit should be left isolated.
    6) Turn on what you can. This will get most circuits back on.
    7) Call an electrician.

2011 wrote:
    I would follow this procedure, it might work: 1) Turn off all MCBs. 2) Turn on the RCD. It may stay on now. 3) Turn on the MCBs one at a time. 4) See if turning on a particular MCB causes the RCD to trip. 5) Don't turn this MCB on. This circuit should be left isolated. 6) Turn on what you can. This will get most circuits back on. 7) Call an electrician.

Thanks for that. MCB means the smaller switches in the photo yeah? They never turn off which is weird. You reckon we'll definitely need an electrician anyway even if isolate the issue ?? Himself is all for saving money whereas I just want it fixed regardless of cost !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »

1) Turn off all MCBs.
    7) Call an electrician.
    It won't help if there is a neutral/earth fault though.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote:

Thanks for the responses.How do we identify if that's the issue? The later we leave it, the less chance of getting an electrician to call out this evening!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »

Hence my statement that it "might" work :)

2011 wrote:
    I would follow this procedure, it might work: 1) Turn off all MCBs. 2) Turn on the RCD. It may stay on now. 3) Turn on the MCBs one at a time. 4) See if turning on a particular MCB causes the RCD to trip. 5) Don't turn this MCB on. This circuit should be left isolated. 6) Turn on what you can. This will get most circuits back on. 7) Call an electrician.

Tried your suggestion but RCD stayed turned on for all the mcbs. Electrician I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

seefin wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.How do we identify if that's the issue?

You don't... The electrician does.

Probably should give one a call. At least you'll know you'll have power tonight.

No chance of getting an electrician in Limerick city at this hour . Suffice it to say am like a beatch and he will be in doghouse for the night for not letting me contact one a day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Also turn off any panel heaters/fan heaters by the switch on the wall.
    Double check your immersion is switched off and not on boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Anything plugged in causing RCD tripping usually suggests neutral to earth short.

2011 wrote: »

1) Turn off all MCBs.
    7) Call an electrician.

If the RCD is tripping wherever anything​ is plugged in, the above is unlikely to show much. That usually shows either which circuit a faulty appliance is already plugged into, or a phase to earth fault. In this case the RCD is staying on until something is plugged in, suggesting it is faulty, or more likely a neutral to earth short.

seefin wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.How do we identify if that's the issue? The later we leave it, the less chance of getting an electrician to call out this evening!!

With everything plugged out and all trip switches on, try plugging in a plug in lamp in various places around the house. See if it trips the RCD everywhere, or just in some rooms. Try it with a low wattage CFL if possible, and if that trips nothing, try a standard 60 watt bulb.

Might not show much, but can sometimes indicate the circuit a fault might be on with a low wattage load plugged in various places on different circuits.

Electrician just called.. there were 2 issues, no doubt related? The RCB was broken and also the immersion switch was bust( burnt inside?!) . All fixed now so all's good. Just a bit frustrated that can still see no logic to how problems manifested themselves...Tempted to do an electrician course just so I can make sense of it! I hate not understanding how these things work and how to troubleshoot. Thanks for the advice here

Advertisement