Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this weed-and how best to eradicate it from my lawns?

Options
  • 29-03-2017 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    as the thread title suggests, I have noticed a weed starting to take over in my lawn. Seems to be there all year round. Photos taken recently.

What is it? And what is the best way to get rid of it without killing the grass.
    A general-purpose feed and weed seemed to not affect it last Autumn.

Thanks.
    MtM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Feasog Dearg

Looks a little like buttercup? Best removal is turf replacement, unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, it is creeping buttercup. You can get lawn weedkiller for broad-leaved weeds which is probably the best approach. You probably will not have a lot of grass left when the buttercup is gone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have some of this in my lawns, and yet often get complimented on the quality of them.

They look green and healthy but if you look up close there's buttercup.

I have never had the urge to try to get rid of it to be honest. I do spread 3 in 1 annually, and this may be attacking them somewhat, but I apply it more as a grass feed.

If they aren't doing any damage, leave alone I say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have it in my beds (more to do with lack of maintenance really), but don't have the time or patience to worry about it in the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Would Verdone Extra slow them down, I wonder?? Anything better?
    It's not a huge lawn, would raking help?

MtM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Would Verdone Extra slow them down, I wonder?? Anything better?
    It's not a huge lawn, would raking help?

MtM

Verdone and raking help big time with creeping buttercup, if you can rake over the grass just to raise up the buttercup runners it allows the mower to take a bigger bite out of it when you cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Grazon pro should sort it, would be no harm to spread a bit of granlime on the lawn as well to raise the ph a bit. Spray when conditions for growth are strong so the weed will take it in. May be no harm to spread a small bit of fert prior to spraying. It would only check the grass slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

'Dicophar' is the best treatment for this in my experience. One application will kill all buttercup within 6-10 days. Use as directed.

Also if you have buttercup plants in other areas of your property (like borders), etc then pull/dig up the plants.

After raking out the dead buttercup in lawn, you might need to reseed any bare patches left behind too.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Grazon pro should sort it, would be no harm to spread a bit of granlime on the lawn as well to raise the ph a bit. Spray when conditions for growth are strong so the weed will take it in. May be no harm to spread a small bit of fert prior to spraying. It would only check the grass slightly

I tried something called Grazon 90 a few years ago. It knocked out the thistles, docks and clover, but didn't seem to do anything to the buttercup.
    Is the Grazon Pro different stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I use an agri product called Mortone, gets rid of the creeping buttercup for a couple of years in my lawn, just done my lawn on saturday and can see the buggers dying allready, great stuff. Very good for rushes too.

• Advertisement

I've a lawn full of buttercup and daisy. I'm looking for a recommendation for a spray to kill these off without harming grass and other plants.
    Do I just spray it over the full lawn to cover all weeds and not kill grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I tried something called Grazon 90 a few years ago. It knocked out the thistles, docks and clover, but didn't seem to do anything to the buttercup.
    Is the Grazon Pro different stuff?

It may be the same not sure if they changed it when changing name. It's possible you may need to leave the weed grow for 2/3 weeks before spraying in order for it to take it in.properly? I saw buttercup mentioned on it anyway from memory , perhaps check a label to see for sure

Hi all. Thanks for all the advice.
    Just an update. I applied DICOPHAR at the correct dosage just before going on holidays 2 weeks ago.
    Attached are the photos of the lawn from today.

The buttercup is certainly yellowed and wilted. The grass is checked a little, but mostly fine.

My question is: Can I safely mow away this buttercup now, or do I have to wait for it to die off completely? Should I reapply the DICOPHAR? Can I safely feed the lawn now - I generally use a light sprinkle of 7-6-17.

Re-posting - the images were too big in the last post. Anybody have any advice?

"Hi all. Thanks for all the advice.
    Just an update. I applied DICOPHAR at the correct dosage just before going on holidays 2 weeks ago.
    Attached are the photos of the lawn from today.

The buttercup is certainly yellowed and wilted. The grass is checked a little, but mostly fine.

My question is: Can I safely mow away this buttercup now, or do I have to wait for it to die off completely? Should I reapply the DICOPHAR? Can I safely feed the lawn now - I generally use a light sprinkle of 7-6-17."

Advertisement