Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla - 3 Phase Home Charging [Split Thread]

• 28-03-2017 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

What MIC in kVA should I apply for for a 3 phase connection with ESB for charging a new Tesla. Finding mixed info all over the web

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

What MIC in kVA should I apply for for a 3 phase connection with ESB for charging a new Tesla. Finding mixed info all over the web

How many Tesla's are you charging?
    Are you going to use Tesla's wall connectors?
    Would you be OK with using the load sharing function (splits the power automatically) if you are charging multiple cars?

I assume you want it to charge as fast as possible...

The base Model S and X draw 11kW.
    For 2016 forward, the "High Amperage Charger" option uprates this to 16.5kW.
    For older cars the same option allows the car to draw 22kW.
    "High Amperage Charger" can be enabled after delivery via the online store.

So if you are ordering three-phase I think the standard MIC is 36kVA.
    Assuming you were charging one car at 22kW you'd have almost the equivalent of a whole standard 12kVA single phase supply in spare capacity for the rest of your house.

However you will need an electrician to balance the loads from your main board across the three phases as you could exceed the load on one of the phases if the car was charging and say.. you turned on an electric shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cros13 wrote: »
    So if you are ordering three-phase I think the standard MIC is 36kVA.

Assuming this is a domestic scenario, Page 5 of this doc from ESB Networks shows the 3 phase connections are 20kVA, 29kVA and 30+kVA

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/esb-networks-dac-statement-of-charges.pdf?sfvrsn=16

The 30+kVA connection is likely to be very expensive since they point you to the "business section" and the work required to support it could be ridiculously priced. You can but ask them I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

What spec charger have you in the tesla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Yawlboy wrote: »
    We have a 3 phase supply at work and I am looking for advice on options for a charging station. With the i3 I'd prefer to have CCS but the minimum needed will be a 2 car station. I've been looking online and there seems to be loads of options but I was hoping someone on here could recommend a specific device.

DC CPs cost $$$. AC CPs are a lot cheaper (car does AC to DC conversion) but with the exception of the Zoe you're looking at around 7kw/h max (22 for Zoe).

Does your budget cover a DC FCP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I split the thread... the original thread was from 2015.. just to limit the confusion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement