Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High VG + higher nicotine juice

Options
  • 29-03-2017 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, can anyone advise?

My husband has started to vape the last two weeks, he's not fully given up smoking yet either. He's had to tweak a little as was experiencing a horrible cough at first (coughing fits where his face would go really red). He had an eleaf inano starter kit with 12mg high PG juice but swapped out to a Joyetech eVic VTWO mini with a nautilus 2 tank on it last week. He started to vape Max VG 6mg by Witchcraft (80/20 VG/PG) and that seems to have stopped the horrible coughing fits, still coughs a bit but nowhere near as bad as before. Problem is he's saying he's not getting a proper nicotine hit from the 6mg but we cannot seem to find higher nicotine in the VG juice.

Is there any on the market, or what do others suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

In the Nautilus he probably does want 12mg. It's a mouth to lung tank with 1+ ohm coils. It's in sub ohm tanks that people tend to cut nic levels. I used to vape 18mg at one stage, but I was using 1.8 - 2.4 ohm coils. There was no sub ohm vaping. Now I'm on 3mg as most coils I'll build or buy will be more like 0.2 - 0.4 ohm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

In the Nautilus he probably does want 12mg. It's a mouth to lung tank with 1+ ohm coils. It's in sub ohm tanks that people tend to cut nic levels. I used to vape 18mg at one stage, but I was using 1.8 - 2.4 ohm coils. There was no sub ohm vaping. Now I'm on 3mg as most coils I'll build or buy will be more like 0.2 - 0.4 ohm.

The nautilus does have a 0.7ohm coil but I'm not sure that makes a difference as the tip is still thin and it's still primarily a m2l tank. He now has the 1.8ohm one in anyway as it's leaking... He went in to get the cubis pro but the guy in the shop sold him the nautilus said it's better...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nobodys_hero

I loved the Witchcraft Apple Pie.

It's fairly normal I think to cough for the first while when you switch to vaping. I know I did. I think it's a mix of the lungs clearing out a bit and getting used to the different stuff being inhaled - cigarettes contain chemicals specifically to "smooth" the smoke and make smokers cough less than inhaling bonfire smoke. I was smoking along with vaping for about a month before I stopped smoking completely, but I was smoking very little (2-3 a day) towards the end of that time. Little enough for me to start coughing my lungs up of the smoking crap and get my sense of taste and smell back. That's how I kicked the cigarettes - I realised I didn't like them as much as the nice e-juice once I could taste them.

If he really likes the Witchcraft juice then I suggest he try a higher nic juice even if it's the 60/40 VG/PG. Most of what I use now is 70/30 that I make myself, although I have a 50/50 in my tank at the moment and it's definitely a bit harsher. A higher level of nicotine will allow a shallower inhale = less vapour per inhale which will help.

When I first stopped (8 months now) I was using 12 or 16mg nic. 18 was too high for me but I was direct lung inhaling from the get go. I used two tanks with two different flavours and strengths. I'd try to stick to the lower strength for the most part, but if I needed a stronger hit or a change in flavour it was right there rather than reaching for a cigarette.

There are lots and lots of different liquids out there. If he's sure he needs higher VG juice then the best thing to do is go into a bricks and mortar shop and tell them what he's after and try out a few flavours.

There's a bit of a learning curve at the start, but it's so worth it! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nobodys_hero

Oh, and one more thing. A bottle of water as a constant companion is a necessity. Vaping dries out the mouth very quickly which would also not help with the coughing. Also, as the mouth dehydrates, the sense of taste / smell deteriorates so it's not as enjoyable. I realised I'd been permanently dehydrated before I started drinking more when I started vaping.

He definitely needs the higher vg stuff. Like I know you cough when you start to vape but this was next level nearly passing out from coughing and now it's just a normal cough.

He reckons he'll just invest in a good quality direct lung tank and stock with the witchcraft juice for now. Can anyone recommend one? One that you just change the coils in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

It has nothing to do with VG, he just needs to get used to it. Go for high resistance coils, low watts/temperature and let him work his way down. If that means he has to smoke at the same time while he gets used to it, so be it. In my experience this happens to every long term smoker who starts vaping on new powerful vape gear.

chipfox wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with VG, he just needs to get used to it. Go for high resistance coils, low watts/temperature and let him work his way down. If that means he has to smoke at the same time while he gets used to it, so be it. In my experience this happens to every long term smoker who starts vaping on new powerful vape gear.

The high VG stuff has sorted the problem with him nearly passing out from coughing when he's vaping. He still coughs, that's not the problem now, it's just not as bad now, he knows he'll cough, he doesn't have a problem with that. The problem now is that he's not getting enough of a nicotine hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

There is definitely a period of physical adjustment when going from smoking to vaping but I wouldn't rule out PG sensitivity as a reason for the coughing.

Sadly the e-cigarette industry today is completely dominated by sub-ohm devices and low nicotine-high VG juices for the snapback flat bill hat crews to blow big clouds. But that's another story.

I think the coughing will probably go away in time.

Maybe you could look into making your own liquid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

January wrote: »
    The high VG stuff has sorted the problem with him nearly passing out from coughing when he's vaping. He still coughs, that's not the problem now, it's just not as bad now, he knows he'll cough, he doesn't have a problem with that. The problem now is that he's not getting enough of a nicotine hit.

The Nautilus with 1.6 or1.8 coil & 18mg liquid should give him a satisfying throat hit,vaping at 12w,I'm using 24mg in a Nautilus (MTL) & that really makes me :):)

10 - 30 fags a day....18mg
    30 - 100 fags a day...24mg

I'm vaping over 8 years & still love 24mg or 18mg if I can't get 24mg,I mostly sub-ohm with 6mg...DL

Hope this helps a little...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Without sounding harsh no matter what ejuice, nic or VG/PG he uses he's always going to struggle because vaping and smoking at the same time is just so much harsher on the chest and lungs and should be avoided.

I've spent the last few months not heeding my own advice, I did the same first time around when I quit smoking. Both methods are so different, Its a bit like your lungs don't know who to trust!

Best of luck to him though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement