Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nissan Figaro insurance

Options
  • 29-03-2017 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Here goes...

I need to get my Nissan Figaro back on the road. Problem is EVERY bloody insurance company has said no based on the damn age of the car. What should it matter, if I have an NCT and a vehicle roadworthiness cert then that should be that.

So I'm on here asking if there are any Figaro owners still out there, where you have your insurance and if you have any advice for me getting my car back on the road!

***Just to say how bad insurance in this country is, I was quoted, for a 987cc car, no claims, 4 years I've had my license and 1 years no claim...3,800 euro. ***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

The are such wonderful cars! I hate that the insurance industry is pushing cars like this off the roads.

What age is it now? is it close to classic at this stage? would you hold out for that?

Its a Micra basically so i wonder would they quote the same if it was an actual Micra?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 andrewosdit

Parchment wrote: »
    The are such wonderful cars! I hate that the insurance industry is pushing cars like this off the roads.

What age is it now? is it close to classic at this stage? would you hold out for that?

Its a Micra basically so i wonder would they quote the same if it was an actual Micra?

It's ridiculous! It's in perfect condition and they just don't want to know.

It's 26 years old now, same as myself, it can qualify for classic car insurance but I don't qualify because they have ridiculous requirements!

That's the frustrating thing too. I can go online right now and get a quote of 2000 for a 2000 Nissan micra, which is over 15 years old yet they don't mind quoting on it.

The system is so flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Try axa

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bee71

I'm in exactly the same position. Had my figaro insured with Axa for 8 years but let it expire when I left the country in 2015. When I returned but couldn't renew with Axa due to the new rules about cars over ten years old. I got a quote through quotedevil and I think the underwriter was prestige...but anyway cheapest I could get was €794 which was double my old premium...female driver, mid 40s,full no claims etc. my car is immaculate..rust free, new roof, new windscreen, the most reliable car I've ever owned and looks like it rolled out of a showroom but I can't justify spending that much to insure it as I drive only about 2k per annum so sadly after owning it for ten years Im going to to have to sell it. It qualifies for vintage/ classic insurance but only as a second vehicle. If you find anyone else quoting for figaro please let me know..and any figaro owners currently insured with Axa don't let it expire!

Car over 10 yr exclusion is not AXA

Did u declare car off the road whilst u were away? It's called a SORN?
    Without same it's not possible unless u may have to proof passport for leaving DVD returning to Ireland.

Did ur NCB expire as possibly over 2yrs away ?

PM me if needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Bee71

Yes my car is declared my car off the road. It's been parked in my back garden under tarpaulin since 2015.

Axa do insure old cars but only if you had them insured before this age rule, if you are continuing a policy. Once my insurance expired when I tried to renew a year later they treated me as a new customer. They will not insure new customers in old cars. If I hadn't let the insurance expire there would be no issue. My neighbour has a figaro insured with Axa but she had no break in the policy.

I realise now after 2 years away it affects my NCB so was expecting to pay more but not double.

It seems it's insurable as a second vehicle under a classic policy only. I only drive max 2k per year this would be perfect for me but it's my only car.

PM me..

Advertisement