Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour leaving notes on car

Options
  • 29-03-2017 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

My visitors have been getting unsigned notes on their cars asking them to park in their own driveway when visiting me. I actually do have space for another car in my drive behind my own car but people often leave it outside. It's a public road, it's very wide, the cars are outside my wall, not blocking anyone and plenty of other houses park their cars outside their house. I have a fair idea that it's the person across from us who has glared at a few of them as if waiting for them to move but funnily enough, half the time she parks her jeep Outside her own house which she can't do if someone is parked outside mine as then people couldn't get by. If she calls over should I tell her where to go? I don't feel like asking people to park in my drive as it's clearly not an obstruction at all. Plus I don't appreciate the passive aggressive notes.

I'm also annoyed about the fact that when someone random parks outside my wall, which they do on occasion, they'll get a note and think it's me!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I'd tell her to take a running jump !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Thanks, glad you agree!! I was thinking is it "neighbourly" to suck it up and ask them to park in the drive but given she only wants them to move so she can park outside I don't want to!! I reverse out with her jeep parked across no problem so she can do the same.
    Plus if it's not her and it's someone else it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. It's not one of these beighbourhood where there's no parking either, there's loads

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Try get her on camera and then pop her a letter saying you are looking for her to pay for a damaged window wiper

I don't want to go that far. I don't want to start any arguments but I just wanted to see if people agreed with me or would they do anything for a quiet life. Next time I'm going to get someone to park outside and put a note of their own car that says "NO, I will not" !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What's the big deal with asking your visitors to park in your drive?

Not telling you either way what to do, just wondering!?

• Administrators Posts: 14,043 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Maybe she's a really bad driver and can't park her jeep in her own garden without risk of damaging it? Either way, not your problem. I'd just ignore all notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

lawred2 wrote: »

Not telling you either way what to do, just wondering!?

Public road no restrictions anyone can park there so the issue really is the fool leaving notes as its not up to them and life is too short to get into such little stupid issues that actually aren't even an issue.

Don't live in an estate if you feel you have ownership of the road outside your house.

lawred2 wrote: »

Not telling you either way what to do l, just wondering!?

Most do actually. It's just when someone comes and rings the bell and they are parked outside I don't ask them to move. It's literally maybe once every two weeks that someone parks there. Also it's not the type Of road that gets congested, and people can't get by- if that was the case I'd make sure people used my drive

Maybe she's a really bad driver and can't park her jeep in her own garden without risk of damaging it? Either way, not your problem. I'd just ignore all notes.

I thought that but I can get my car out no bother when her jeep is across from me. Also half the time she parks it across from mine when her drive is empty. I just think it's her as one person said she drove up and waited and glared at them when they got out of their car waiting for them to move they think. It could be some other house but that would make even less sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Beanybabog wrote: »
    It's a public road, it's very wide,
    half the time she parks her jeep Outside her own house which she can't do if someone is parked outside mine as then people couldn't get by.!

Obviously not that wide then.

Obviously not that wide then.

I mean if there was two cars parked straight across from each other it'd be a squeeze. In fact you could still get through but no one parks like that around here , it's not necessary when there's so much space.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Give her a wide berth and just ignore the notes. People are mad. Just moved into a new house myself and having similar issues with next door neighbour.no notes but he's pulled his car out of the driveway and parked outside our houses while iv gone to the shop. He only has one car. Came home this evo to the neighbour the other side almost apologising for parking outside my house. Told her it's fine but I got the impression yer man might have said something to her as iv met her multiple time getting in and out of her car outside mine and strange she's chosen now to say something and in the manner she did. End of day I don't own the road and either does anyone else.

I probably will just ignore it and if she wants to call over I'll say no. It's just really annoying me, probably more than it should!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Next time, scrunch the note up without even looking at it and put it in the bin. Make sure as much of this as possible is visible to anyone who might be peering out a window.

Your visitors are doing nothing wrong as long as the road isn't being blocked, and they shouldn't have to put up with this sort of passive-aggressive harassment from people who haven't even got the manners to identify themselves. Neither should you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I'd ignore them OP. Usually the type of person who engages in that kind of smarmy behaviour won't stop at that should they feel they got one over.
    If that person had knocked on your front door I'd have had a lot more respect for them.
    I'd park my own car on her footpath for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Put the notes under her wiper?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

the_syco wrote:

That's criminal damage, apparently...

the_syco wrote: »

I don't know it's her. I don't know her at all but after the "glaring" and the location of that house the only person it could be. In fact I'm not even sure she lives there, the jeep is only there a few days a week. I always thought she was a visitor. I'm starting to wonder did she take to parking the jeep across from my house to make a "point" and I didn't get it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Best thing you can do is ignore the bully behaviour and laugh at the stupidity of it all .... I personally wouldn't go banging on doors or leaving notes or whatever . You canT teach common sense to stupid people . It's wasted energy

If you do find out its your neighbour you could be smart and tell your visitors to park on your neighbours side or when she parks outside on road go over and leave a note on her bus but that's all a bit childish . Anyways if there's enough room for a car to get by well then it's plenty , most housing estates are a tight squeeze anyways and people there learn to accept it .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

dev100 wrote: »
    most housing estates are a tight squeeze anyways and people there learn to accept it .

Just leaving this here:
    https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/845373089840054272

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/845624050407915521

markpb wrote: »
    Just leaving this here:
    ]

It would be nothing like that (there's rarely more than one or two cars outside on the whole road) but a good point nonetheless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Most do actually. It's just when someone comes and rings the bell and they are parked outside I don't ask them to move. It's literally maybe once every two weeks that someone parks there. Also it's not the type Of road that gets congested, and people can't get by- if that was the case I'd make sure people used my drive

Never mind her then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'd just ignore all notes and carry on as usual. Nothing she can do and she knows it. She thinks by persuing this passive aggressive thing she'll get her way because you'll feel somehow intimidated. Don't give in to the non sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

! I reverse out with her jeep parked across no problem so she can do the same.

You should reverse in, not out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

road_high wrote: »
    I'd just ignore all notes and carry on as usual. Nothing she can do and she knows it. She thinks by persuing this passive aggressive thing she'll get her way because you'll feel somehow intimidated. Don't give in to the non sense.

Exactly, if anything can be left with neighbours leave it. If you've got good neighbours treasure them! With a little understanding... okay this has gone far enough. Joking aside though there's no point in having a confrontation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

markpb wrote: »

If these is illegal parking then why wasn't it enforced. Were all these cars towed?

I wonder why these problems are only dealt with when its a crisis. Why no one is responsible for allowing the situation to happen in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

markpb wrote:
    Just leaving this here:

It's called bad planning more than anything else ....

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

If she leaves a note every time, preempt her - next time someone is coming, having a large note ready to put inside car window. « please stop leaving notes on visitors'cars. This is a public road and all arefree to park as they wish. Call to house if you wish to discuss, butNO MORE NOTES.....» :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

beauf wrote: »
    If these is illegal parking then why wasn't it enforced. Were all these cars towed?

I wonder why these problems are only dealt with when its a crisis. Why no one is responsible for allowing the situation to happen in the first place.

It's likely that it's not illegal as there are no parking restrictions on that road. It's just inconsiderate by whichever one of those cars parked last. In all likelihood, I would not think it was intentional. You would also find it is more hassle then it's worth to try and prosecute that as a parking offence. Which car do you blame? One parked there causing no obstruction. The other arrived later and parked opposite and there are no parking restrictions signed or marked.

On narrow roads they really need to do alternating double yellows or something to ensure that's not likely to happen.

The local authorities need to ensure access for fire and other large vehicles is kept clear.

A lot of urban streets in Ireland are too narrow and it's fairly inexcusable that relatively modern housing estates, built long after the advent of the car are that narrow.

If the OP is not parking obstructing an entrance or the road and is on a street without parking restrictions just ignore the silly notes.

I was parking to go to a bank in Dublin 7 a while back and someone came out of her house yelling at me about how i couldn't park there a it was her space. I just ignored her and pointed out it was a public road and i was paying for parking (park by text).

She told me she would call the guards. I just said that'd fine. Ring away! I'm sure they'll rush out to remove a legally parked car and continued about my business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

If you find out its her putting notes out, save all the notes your visitors get. then start putting them on her car when she parks on the road. She'll get the message fairly quickly.

Failing that, go park outside her house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement