Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour leaving notes on car

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Beanybabog wrote: »
    My visitors have been getting unsigned notes on their cars asking them to park in their own driveway when visiting me. I actually do have space for another car in my drive behind my own car but people often leave it outside. It's a public road, it's very wide, the cars are outside my wall, not blocking anyone and plenty of other houses park their cars outside their house. I have a fair idea that it's the person across from us who has glared at a few of them as if waiting for them to move but funnily enough, half the time she parks her jeep Outside her own house which she can't do if someone is parked outside mine as then people couldn't get by. If she calls over should I tell her where to go? I don't feel like asking people to park in my drive as it's clearly not an obstruction at all. Plus I don't appreciate the passive aggressive notes.

I'm also annoyed about the fact that when someone random parks outside my wall, which they do on occasion, they'll get a note and think it's me!!

Next time one of your friends is going on holidays, offer to car sit for them and leave the car outside for 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

People are so strange. This situation is so odd. If the person left notes explaining why you shouldn't park there, then maybe you could rationalise (that's if the reason is logical), if they just don't want you to park there, then f them.

I have been in situations like this before, but the twat always made himself known so I politely told them to get f***ed. I was a student in my early 20's so they probably thought I was a pushover.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    What's the big deal with asking your visitors to park in your drive?

Not telling you either way what to do, just wondering!?

This question has no merit what so ever. There's no reason for the OP to ask anybody to park in his drive. Nobody should have to facilitate the arsehole neighbor and his arseholey ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

Once the vehicle is taxed, NCT'd and insured, anybody can park outside anybody's house on the proviso that it's not a disabled spot or there's no single or double yellow lines. Nobody owns the road space outside their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Logo

Once the vehicle is taxed, NCT'd and insured, anybody can park outside anybody's house on the proviso that it's not a disabled spot or there's no single or double yellow lines. Nobody owns the road space outside their house.

So if a neighbour has one car in their driveway and another on the public roadway for the last year - both of which are un-NCT'd/ taxed - who can I call to get them removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Don't underestimate the value of a quiet life.

You are within your rights to completely ignore the notes. However, given the amount of effort required to make your neighbour happy, why not just do it?

Being right isn't always the only thing that is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I had this problem. Apartments across from my house with no designated spaces. Myself and friends were getting notes for parking in their supposed space.

So I now park there all the time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Is where the car is parked directly opposite her driveway? Is it possible that its making it awkward for her to get in and out of her driveway?

It's not illegal but it could be just making life a little more difficult for her and this is her way of communicating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

Logo wrote: »
    So if a neighbour has one car in their driveway and another on the public roadway for the last year - both of which are un-NCT'd/ taxed - who can I call to get them removed?

Well i suppose you have three options. You can mind your own business. Or you can act like a grown up and call to the neighbours door and ask them to remove the vehicle on the road which is causing you some bother. Or you could call the council or the Gardai. Once a car is taxed, NCT'd and insured, you can park wherever you like providing you're not blocking a driveway, or parking in a disabled spot or on double or a single yellow line. The neighbour in this case cannot dictate where another neighbour or their visitors choose to park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Is where the car is parked directly opposite her driveway? Is it possible that its making it awkward for her to get in and out of her driveway?

It's not illegal but it could be just making life a little more difficult for her and this is her way of communicating it.

This was exactly my thoughts on it. As a woman who's not very good at parking it is a pain if there's a car directly across from you.

She may be too shy to knock on your door either.

I mean if there's a space in your driveway I don't see the problem. Why go out of your way just to make things awkward for people?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

pilly wrote: »
    This was exactly my thoughts on it. As a woman who's not very good at parking it is a pain if there's a car directly across from you.

She may be too shy to knock on your door either.

I mean if there's a space in your driveway I don't see the problem. Why go out of your way just to make things awkward for people?

What if one of the OP's guests is a poor unfortunate person who's not very good at parking and the passive aggressive neighbour is parked on the road?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

What if one of the OP's guests is a poor unfortunate person who's not very good at parking and the passive aggressive neighbour is parked on the road?

Yeah, good point. I don't know, it's all a bit tit for tat isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

pilly wrote: »
    Yeah, good point. I don't know, it's all a bit tit for tat isn't it?

It's always a shame when neighbours cause problems for each other, we're all just trying to live our lives! I'd be on the OP's side here, a note on a windscreen would normally make a situation like this worse in my opinion!

The proper thing to do would have been to knock on the OP's door and ask nicely, maybe explain why it's causing such hassle for her. If the neighbour is too cowardly to do that and thinks bullying with notes is the way to manage the situation then I'd be very reluctant to give in as well!

For the record, I'm rather cowardly too and the thoughts of knocking into my neighbour for a matter like this makes me feel sick! The last thing I'd do is leave notes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

Get a hunting camera from Aldi/Lidl or online and point at where people are leaving notes. You'll quickly know who is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Thanks all. Well I've just come in and they have one car parked in their drive And one outside on the road, directly opposite mine. So if it is them, that's the exact thing they told us not to do so I'm inclined to say f them. And if it's not them, I don't know what lunatic it could be

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

First course of action should be to find out exactly who is putting them there.

foxatron wrote: »
    First course of action should be to find out exactly who is putting them there.

To be honest all the solutions to that problem are more hassle than the notes!! I'll just ignore them. I'm not investing in CCTV or whatever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »
    Can you not see who is doing it from your house?

No, sure I'd have to spend the whole day looking out the window!! Plus I have a hedge so I couldn't see the car, so I'd have to look out te upstairs window. I'm not that upset that I'd do that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Do nothing and if they ever call in to your house to complain just explain to them in a calm assertive manner that you dont think it's a big deal for your friends to park on a public road and that you wont be asking them to move their car into your driveway if they do.

If they dont like that then it's really their problem not yours. Leave it at that and dont bother getting into arguments over stupid stuff like this, it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Next time you've a friend over with a car outside pop your phone in the upstairs window and record a video for a few hours. You should be able to identify who it is by scanning through the footage after they leave a note without investing in expensive CCTV. When you know who it is you can decide what course of action to take (if any).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Beanybabog wrote:
    To be honest all the solutions to that problem are more hassle than the notes!! I'll just ignore them. I'm not investing in CCTV or whatever!

Yeah true and you're probably right. The ocd side of me wouldnt be able to leave it though. I'd have to find out so i could throw the notes back into their garden.

foxatron wrote: »
    Yeah true and you're probably right. The ocd side of me wouldnt be able to leave it though. I'd have to find out so i could throw the notes back into their garden.

Yeah that's why I posted the thread I suppose... i know it's not really a big deal but it got under my skin for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

If she is not even going to put her name or a contact number on the notes so that you can discuss the matter with her then fcuk her!

As long as they are parked legally and are in a public area it's fair game.

Every now and then I see some estates where residents put cones outside their places or signs saying resident parking only, both of which are not enforceable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭blackbox

In general, anyone is allowed to park on a public road but there are some restrictions. For example, you are not supposed to park directly opposite an entrance or beside a junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

OP as you seem intent not to do anything with the advice you've been given there's no point in people giving up time to reply any more. Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement