Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus £5.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

What's the catch?

I know peoples who'd stop pirating it at that price lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I'm also a bit apprehensive.

It states that just over 7000 sold, and they're second hand licenses (from uninstalled PC's).

So, should that mean that they have uninstalled MS Office 7000 times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

me_irl wrote: »
    I'm also a bit apprehensive.

It states that just over 7000 sold, and they're second hand licenses (from uninstalled PC's).

So, should that mean that they have uninstalled MS Office 7000 times?

Probably a corporate volume license being sold to individual's. You'd probably get the same serial twice if you bought 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I will never stop being amazed how people burn money...

You buy software to have piece of mind... Otherwise you can have it for free...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭the14thwarrior

grogi wrote: »

k i'm lost. what do you mean by above?
    i was going to buy one as they handy to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

k i'm lost. what do you mean by above?
    i was going to buy one as they handy to have

He means you can get it free elsewhere, or possibly that there are already free alternatives out there that work just as well, if not better.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭wiz569

Presumably he means if you are going to buy software then buy it from a reputable source, if not you may as well chance the "free" versions knocking around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

He means you can get it free elsewhere, or possibly that there are already free alternatives out there that work just as well, if not better.

Not at all. As much as LibreOffice is great, it is not as good as Microsoft Office. Not if you have to exchange the documents with anybody else.

Personally I would stick to Latex, but that's too geeky even for my wife ;)
    wiz569 wrote: »
    Presumably he means if you are going to buy software then buy it from a reputable source, if not you may as well chance the "free" versions knocking around

Thanks. Spot on... I was writing from a phone and it started to act funny - so I wrapped it into a grammatically correct sentence (which wasn't easy) and submitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Esel wrote: »
    What's the catch (or is there one)?

The catch is you'd be still pirating office, just with a licence key you shouldn't have access to rather than a software crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

No comeback through PayPal or eBay if this fails because its not a tangible item its an emailed Key although for that amount thats hardly a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I took the chance with a cheaper seller, who did have good seller rating etc, seems fine, was e-mailed the key and codes in an hour and installed no problem.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I took the chance with a cheaper seller, who did have good seller rating etc, seems fine, was e-mailed the key and codes in an hour and installed no problem.

You're only paying for the convenience here, not the legal software...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tomasL

Had bought cheap keys for minecraft and win7 on ebay. Sellers had good feedback too. Month later both keys were blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

grogi wrote: »

While you may not agree with the price of the software, downloading without paying is theft ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

While you may not agree with the price of the software, downloading without paying is theft ;)

The point he's making is that if you're going to pay someone £6, you may as well download it for free, as Microsoft won't see a penny in either case. So this is theft too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Wheety wrote: »
    The point he's making is that if you're going to pay someone £6, you may as well download it for free, as Microsoft won't see a penny in either case. So this is theft too.

Not sure how they work but I assume they will get some money, maybe as mention before they are corporate license so microsoft will get something per activation?

The license you get from ebay or adverts are valid on the Microsoft website to download the software, also you can get updates for it. If you download from other sources the code will not work or maybe you cannot get updates.

nava wrote: »
    Not sure how they work but I assume they will get some money, maybe as mention before they are corporate license so microsoft will get something per activation?

Nope... Unless the volume license user pays M$ per activation... But that would still not be coming from the money the seller gets anyway...
    The license you get from ebay or adverts are valid on the Microsoft website to download the software, also you can get updates for it. If you download from other sources the code will not work or maybe you cannot get updates.

They work until Microsoft realises the serials are misused. They WILL get blocked eventually.

Unless you are getting a retail/box license, buying from adverts/ebay/donedeal is simply throwing the money away.

What's more, you're exposing yourself to the police forces, as there is a trace of you paying for dodgy license. You probably won't be prosecuted, but the sole probability of need to deal with authorities is not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

No, the seller of these keys did pay for the keys but specifically only to be used within their business they have also signed an agreement not to resell them. Buying one of these keys is theft, or to but it better, you are buying stolen goods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If you want Microsoft software or any vender software for that matter then buy it of the vender directly or if it's a reseller then get the boxed version and a know seller like for example PC world if possible. It will cost you but it's the real deal.

Office 365 to me is the same as office just online and it's a lot cheaper then MS Office full.

Bill Gates doesn't mind either way. Remember him saying he doesn't mind people pirating his software. Eventually they will pay for it.

Suppose he is right, you'll eventually get sick of bugs/no support/no updates/keys not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Not giving an opinion here. But if this is illegal or immoral, why is the post allowed and not stopped already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

T-Bird wrote: »
    Not giving an opinion here. But if this is illegal or immoral, why is the post allowed and not stopped already?
    Bought. Cheers OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭sk282

Their 24 Hour Sale has been going on since two days at least... They claim to be selling keys from no longer used PCs so if some of you guys who purchased can post the last 4 digits of your keys, then maybe we can find out if what they say is true and they have more than one key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Apart from it ceasing to work/update at some unexpected point, is there any other downside to using this code? Any issues that might arise on the PC itself?

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Apart from it ceasing to work/update at some unexpected point, is there any other downside to using this code? Any issues that might arise on the PC itself?

The PC won't blow up or anything and iirc if the keys are invalidated windows carries on working with a notice in the bottom left hand corner saying it doesn't have a valid licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

my3cents wrote: »
    The PC won't blow up or anything and iirc if the keys are invalidated windows carries on working with a notice in the bottom left hand corner saying it doesn't have a valid licence.

Keep in mind this is for Microsoft Office. So the only way this will go wrong is that Word, Excel etc will just stop working and will probably prompt you to enter a new valid license key.

You seem to be referencing Windows 10 licenses, which when they expire will simply cause a non-removeable message to appear in the bottom right corner of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BluePaddy

Two guys in work bought Office from this seller and both got totally different unique keys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

BluePaddy wrote: »
    Two guys in work bought Office from this seller and both got totally different unique keys?
    How do you know the keys are unique?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Keep in mind this is for Microsoft Office. So the only way this will go wrong is that Word, Excel etc will just stop working and will probably prompt you to enter a new valid license key.

You seem to be referencing Windows 10 licenses, which when they expire will simply cause a non-removeable message to appear in the bottom right corner of the screen.

No. The top bar turns red and it says unlicenced copy and that happened to me in a corporate environment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Seller must be using volume licence keys. They are only to be used by the company that they are registered to. It is technically possible to transfer some licences that are no longer used by a license holder, but it's a loophole. But no way is the seller doing these transfers properly. There is paperwork involved. You are as well off going on piratebay to get the software as buying these.

TallGlass wrote: »
    No. The top bar turns red and it says unlicenced copy and that happened to me in a corporate environment!

I was of course mistakenly making reference to Windows 10, afaik same happens with the retail version of Office 2016 as your VL version. Last time I noticed it was on a retail version of Office 2013 and the title bar was black not red but the unlicensed text was still very obvious.

kc66 wrote: »
    Seller must be using volume licence keys. They are only to be used by the company that they are registered to. It is technically possible to transfer some licences that are no longer used by a license holder, but it's a loophole. But no way is the seller doing these transfers properly. There is paperwork involved. You are as well off going on piratebay to get the software as buying these.

I thought M$ stopped doing VL keys like that? Don't you need a licensing server that clients need to connect to every so often to validate the volume license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

my3cents wrote: »
    I thought M$ stopped doing VL keys like that? Don't you need a licensing server that clients need to connect to every so often to validate the volume license?

You may be right, haven't setup 2016 myself. Have setup 2010 and it had a central license activation server. But it is about what you are legally entitled to use. This is a >€500 product selling for less than a tenner. Piratebay is guaranteed to be as legal as this.

Well for anyone interested. Costs about 60€ extra but this pretty much is the same as a locally installed version of Office, I have used both.

69€ from Currys PC world.

http://www.currys.ie/Product/microsoft-office-365-personal-1-license1-year/337908/400.6.3

66€ from Argos loaded with some McAfee software

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4505037/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780850%7CPC+and+laptop+software%7C14419045.htm

59€ Komplett.ie

http://www.komplett.ie/microsoft-office-365-personal-engels/80044132/details.aspx

Lets get the ball rolling, can anyone find a legitimate retailer that is cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I dont use ms office as i find it hard on resources...i use Open Office...which is free and can open any MS Office file I've received so far anyhow 😊

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Some good prices for 365 there, TallGlass. I paid 99 for my most recent 365 purchase. €59 on Komplett isn't bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 p4xel

byte wrote: »
    €59 on Komplett isn't bad at all.
    ex. VAT. Also mind that this is 1 year subscription only for 1 user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well for anyone interested. Costs about 60€ extra but this pretty much is the same as a locally installed version of Office, I have used both.

69€ from Currys PC world.

http://www.currys.ie/Product/microsoft-office-365-personal-1-license1-year/337908/400.6.3

66€ from Argos loaded with some McAfee software

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4505037/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780850%7CPC+and+laptop+software%7C14419045.htm

59€ Komplett.ie

http://www.komplett.ie/microsoft-office-365-personal-engels/80044132/details.aspx

Lets get the ball rolling, can anyone find a legitimate retailer that is cheaper?

Office 365 is not the same. For the gimped functionality you might as well use open office. And it's more expensive in the long run as you have to buy it every year.

p4xel wrote: »

It's 48€ ex vat.
    Office 365 is not the same. For the gimped functionality you might as well use open office. And it's more expensive in the long run as you have to buy it every year.

But the OP didn't say a free version of an office product, they mentioned MS Office, for a legitimate low price version that gets the job done then Office 365 will get the job done.

Yes it will cost more in the long run.

Again these are viable options and that will last rather than pissing money down the drain on a 5-10€ key.

Yes again, if you are looking for a free office style product that will work, then Open Office is fine and will get the job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Tazium

[url]Http://www.microsofthup.com[/url]

Less than 14 euro for a direct, fully licensed copy IF your company supports it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

p4xel wrote: »
    That price includes VAT, and I realise it's 365, which is what I use anyway. I paid 90 or so a few months ago on the renewal so €59 seems good value to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Deal of the day on Amazon today until 11.59pm tonight.

£30 for Office 365 Personal or Home. 1 user.
    £43 for 5 users

1 year sub....

Advertisement