Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adive needed

Options
  • 29-03-2017 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,
    I was wondering could anyone give me some advice.
    I got a 2.1 IT degree 11 years ago, but for several reasons never worked in IT.
    I know my degree is out out of date and have no chance of getting a job.
    Is there any point in me trying to update my degree.

I always enjoyed networking and systems design in collage, less so programming.
    Would doing ccna and mcsa help me get an entry level job
    Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Degree in what sector of IT specifically? A more CS based degree is always basically useless for a non programming job.

CCNA and MCSA are not entry level certs. Right now there is an abject shortage of entry level staff and the #1 qualification needed is a full driving licence. Ability to pass a technical test and talk right in an interview will get you an entry level job even with an 11 year old degree.

Jobs that, when I was 18 with a full driving licence, went to 18 year olds with a full driving licnece now can't find any and have to go to more experienced/older people for more money. Teenagers stopped learning to drive in the crash, which was 10 years ago, so there's a huge lack of entry level staff with driving licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

L1011 wrote: »
    so there's a huge lack of entry level staff with driving licences.

Entry level in what industry, what roles specifically are you taking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Senna wrote: »
    Entry level in what industry, what roles specifically are you taking about?

Help desk would be level 1 support

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Help desk would be level 1 support

Help desk and a drivers license?

Senna wrote: »
    Help desk and a drivers license?

Plenty of entry level field also. And it's pretty much a given that you need a car to do 24/7 desk also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I have been to interviews with the opposite. Suited not to have a car as there was no parking.

I don't see it as being essential. You will broaden your reach if you have a license though.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

L1011 wrote: »
    Degree in what sector of IT specifically? A more CS based degree is always basically useless for a non programming job.

CCNA and MCSA are not entry level certs. Right now there is an abject shortage of entry level staff and the #1 qualification needed is a full driving licence. Ability to pass a technical test and talk right in an interview will get you an entry level job even with an 11 year old degree.

Jobs that, when I was 18 with a full driving licence, went to 18 year olds with a full driving licnece now can't find any and have to go to more experienced/older people for more money. Teenagers stopped learning to drive in the crash, which was 10 years ago, so there's a huge lack of entry level staff with driving licences.

Forgive me for what is possibly a stupid question, but the majority of level 1 support jobs i have seen advertised require 2 years, of experience in ms server or exchange etc. linux, cisco networks, ESxi etc.
    Am I looking in the wrong places, should i ignore the agencies and go direct to companies? Would even the CCNA alone make a huge difference? I was hoping of course to go for more certification after, the CCNA, I love virtualization but i know the VMware certs are supposed to be extremely tough, so was thinking of linux.

The last support job a recruiter put me forward for he said he thought I was an ideal candidate, the worry was my age, he thought they would assume due to my age i would want a lot more money, I assured him that I money was not a concern I just wanted to gain experience. I didn't get an interview.
    I have spoken to numerous recruiters saying I will take anything at all, for the sake of experience. They of course said they would keep me in mind. I felt I was being fobbed off.

My issue may be I only a lvl6 cloud infrastructure cert from CIT and did not complete my CS degree. Currently studying the CCNA again to sit the exams.
    But having said that two friends of mine with 0 IT experience or education are happily chugging along, one in VMware, the other in VCE (hopefully i dont sound begrudging, it just compounds my frustration).

I was in electronics for years, now I'm just faffing around with temporary contracts in production.

The majority of ads are written by HR and are unrealistic

Advertisement