Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How prove property is empty for Revenue purposes

Options
  • 29-03-2017 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I own a rental property which has been empty for a couple of months (awaiting renovation). Prior to that it was rented out on a cash basis which I declared.

How to prove to Revenue that the house is unoccupied so that they don't assume there's ongoing rental income?

Thanks
    PJ.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

pj9999 wrote: »
    I own a rental property which has been empty for a couple of months (awaiting renovation). Prior to that it was rented out on a cash basis which I declared.

How to prove to Revenue that the house is unoccupied so that they don't assume there's ongoing rental income?

Thanks
    PJ.

Esb meter readings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Receipts for the work done with dates. Ultimately it is not up to a taxpayer to prove they didn't earn income. the taxpayer declares what is earned and then the taxman has to gather evidence if he wants to prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Receipts for the work done with dates. Ultimately it is not up to a taxpayer to prove they didn't earn income. the taxpayer declares what is earned and then the taxman has to gather evidence if he wants to prove otherwise.

Yeah ... but when there have been unverifiable cash payments previously, a tax inspector (of either gender, btw) could reasonably conclude they were ongoing.

OP as stated, receipts and invoices would be good. Along with photos. Did you take any when the tenants moved out? Did they sign anything acknowledging that you returned their deposit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Yeah ... but when there have been unverifiable cash payments previously, a tax inspector (of either gender, btw) could reasonably conclude they were ongoing.

OP as stated, receipts and invoices would be good. Along with photos. Did you take any when the tenants moved out? Did they sign anything acknowledging that you returned their deposit?

A tax inspector can't conclude there are payments without evidence. They might have a suspicion but they would have to carry out an audit and find evidence in order to assess the o/p. They would check bank accounts, utility providers, mobile phone records, RTB and social welfare records and may even speak to the neighbours or postmen to verify what the o/p says but they can't reasonably conclude there was an income on the basis that there had been unverifiable cash payments previously.

Advertisement