Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

jimmii wrote: »
    Was never much of a cyclist but round there is a great spot for a run. Used to have friends in Cramond and would go running round the island almost got caught by the tide one time it was up to me knees by the time I got back to the beach!

Water of Leith is a nice spot to run. I live to the east of the city and the Edinburgh to North Berwick and back route is a very popular one if you fancy going a little further afield.

Yeah, I lucked out one Sunday morning and the tide was out so I had time to cycle across and go for a nose around the island, but I wouldn't fancy getting stuck there if the tide was inbound.

There are some great stretches of WoL for cycling, but I usually feel like I'm being arsey to people walking along it as there are a fair few narrow stretches. I'll have a look at the route out to North Berwick, that could be a winner - cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That cycle path would bring you from Leith to Murrayfield or turning off earlier and heading to South Queensferry and across the bridges.
    The canal is another option (though relatively flat), jump on at Fountain Bridge and you'll end up way out past the airport.

Water of Leith is a bit tight in places alright, lots of broken path too so you'd end up jumping on and off, but it's do-able, folk are going past all the time when I'm out with the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I ran that path from Leith to Murrayfield for Kilomathon not so long ago not been around there before was a lot flatter and easier than I was expecting for a route around Edinburgh!

Fysh wrote: »
    Yeah, I lucked out one Sunday morning and the tide was out so I had time to cycle across and go for a nose around the island, but I wouldn't fancy getting stuck there if the tide was inbound.

There are some great stretches of WoL for cycling, but I usually feel like I'm being arsey to people walking along it as there are a fair few narrow stretches. I'll have a look at the route out to North Berwick, that could be a winner - cheers :)

It would suck to get stuck there if you hadn't planned for it could be fun if you took the right gear though. Remember that party out there a few years back where coastguard had to go rescue a load of people?

I was up around Arthur's Seat on Sunday with the madra.
    Had planned to try and get to the top, but I came at it from the Duddingston Loch side, there was, what I can only describe as a queue of people going up that path.

The tourist season is here folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

razorblunt wrote: »
    Had planned to try and get to the top, but I came at it from the Duddingston Loch side, there was, what I can only describe as a queue of people going up that path.

There is some really good group dog walks around , I have a dog aswell and we often go on pack walks

Where do you normally go?
    She walks with a pack with her dogwalker during the week.

At the weekends then we tend to do The Hermitage, Arthur's or Bonaly Reservoir.

Gullane Beach out towards the Black Rocks is a great spot too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You may have discovered this already, but there's a lovely pub called The Sheep's Heid Inn in Duddingston if you're looking for grub or beverages. Tends to be busy enough on Sundays, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

You may have discovered this already, but there's a lovely pub called The Sheep's Heid Inn in Duddingston if you're looking for grub or beverages. Tends to be busy enough on Sundays, though.

Best part of The Sheep's Heid is the free old fashioned bowling (Skittles) in the back, great laugh

On the topic of cycling, I've started cycling to work recently which is really nice. Apart from the cobbles on part of my route. Seriously, the City Council can find a bajillion quid for the vanity-project-adjacent tram (which they didn't even do right!), but they can't find money to get rid of the 18th century nonsense masquerading as road surfaces in substantial chunks of the city? Nul points all round.

• Advertisement

They seem to be hitting the worst affected areas, Frederick Street is currently getting re-laid I think.
    The issue is a lot of the areas need to be "protected" so cobbles come up, cobbles go back down. Can't replace the windows in a lot of the old style tenements around West End and New Town either.

Makes winter fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

They seem to be hitting the worst affected areas, Frederick Street is currently getting re-laid I think.
    The issue is a lot of the areas need to be "protected" so cobbles come up, cobbles go back down. Can't replace the windows in a lot of the old style tenements around West End and New Town either.

Makes winter fun!

The entire new town and old town are UNESCO world heritage sites and nearly all the buildings are listed.

I'm living in one of the listed buildings on the edge of the new town with single glaze sash windows. No problems with heat and insulation though (combined gas and electricity bills are 40-50 per month averaged across the year), I think some windows are just poorly maintained.

Yeah that's probably a truer point to be honest. Saying that, I'm still thankful for my triple glazed windows in my tenement flat.
    Can't hear JCBs going past for road works, but I can still hear the wagon across the way when she's out for a cigarette.

I looked up ticket prices for that craft beer show at the Biscuit Factory and they're looking for something daft like ?40 per day, so that's right out. I like my poncy beers, but not that much.

On the other hand, there's a beer/streetfood/science festival in Summerhall running from tomorrow through Saturday that's cheap and should be pretty good.

There's also the Hidden Door Festival coming up, which is mainly in Leith this time around. Some good gigs along the way, including Anna Meredith on the opening Friday and Idlewild on the Saturday. I'm also a bit tempted by the Midi Paul gig on the Thursday. There are also several short film and animation programs on which sound fantastic, along with a screening of Metropolis with a live score performance - I've been to similar screenings of Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr Caligari and they're a lot of fun.

I was at that Dr Caligari screening that was brilliant. I seen the other day that place looks like it may be gone again fairly soon to make way for developers. Shame as it brings something a little different to the area.

There's a fanzone setup on George Street for the rugby finals that are on tonight and tomorrow.
    The organisers and the publicans are disgusted none of the Irish teams qualified.

Might be worth sticking the head into anyway but I'd imagine a lot of casual fans planning on going there might actually go to the game itself as it won't be anywhere near selling out.

Did the 10k as part of the emf today glad it was in the morning! The security was pretty crazy we had police checking the car as soon as we were parked and when we were leaving there were guys with some pretty serious looking guns.

Did the 10k as part of the emf today glad it was in the morning! The security was pretty crazy we had police checking the car as soon as we were parked and when we were leaving there were guys with some pretty serious looking guns.

Congrats on the run. Thinking of doing it next year.
    I went out to Gullane thinking I'd be on a different part of the road to Longniddry, alas not, hit a closed road just before the turn around on the Full.
    Armed police fella there, pretty sound, went to do a u-turn, met a van full of armed police sitting and waiting!

Congrats on the run. Thinking of doing it next year.
    I went out to Gullane thinking I'd be on a different part of the road to Longniddry, alas not, hit a closed road just before the turn around on the Full.
    Armed police fella there, pretty sound, went to do a u-turn, met a van full of armed police sitting and waiting!

The 10 was good it's definitely not a route to go for a time though. I've only just got the wife running so we're building up. Was very eerie walking round this morning our street is normally very busy but this morning it was straight out of 28 days later! It was quite the novelty walking down the middle of the road at 9am to get the paper! Signed us up to do the half in September it follows a similarish route and goes past our place as well. One day I plan on giving the John Muir ultra a go great way to see East Lothian!

Ah jeez I wouldn't be doing anything for time!
    I'd be running for the sake of running!

I think I'll bite the bullet and just sign up this week while the early bird offers are out.
    I have no interest in the Half again but the 10k could be the job.

September is the Scottish Half isn't it? Starts off at Meadowbank and heads around Musselburgh race course too?
    That might be an option too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Anyone head to Hidden Door this weekend?

We popped down after getting some food in Pitt Street market.

Unfortunately we only went in the daytime but all the art installations etc. were quite cool and the old Leith theatre is something else, can't believe it's been lying empty since 1990, would be a great gig venue and far enough away from residential areas that it wouldn't have the noise issues the city centre venues are being forced to shut down for.

Ah jeez I wouldn't be doing anything for time!
    I'd be running for the sake of running!

I think I'll bite the bullet and just sign up this week while the early bird offers are out.
    I have no interest in the Half again but the 10k could be the job.

September is the Scottish Half isn't it? Starts off at Meadowbank and heads around Musselburgh race course too?
    That might be an option too.

Yeh that's the one. Heads out to Longniddry then back through port seton and Prestonpans then ends in Musselburgh. There's a 10k on the Saturday of that run too.

Anyone head to Hidden Door this weekend?

We popped down after getting some food in Pitt Street market.

Unfortunately we only went in the daytime but all the art installations etc. were quite cool and the old Leith theatre is something else, can't believe it's been lying empty since 1990, would be a great gig venue and far enough away from residential areas that it wouldn't have the noise issues the city centre venues are being forced to shut down for.

I was along for the Kinoclub screening and Anna Meredith performance last Friday and Idlewild on the Saturday, and have to say the venue blew me away. I don't know what exactly has motivated the various clowns in the city council to enact its ongoing war on live music, but that theatre is an amazing venue and it's ludicrous to have had it sitting empty and unused for so long. Hopefully it'll be revitalised now and come back into regular use soon.

As part of the film festival there are several "enhanced" Edgar Wright film screenings - sort of like what Secret Cinema do in London, except without the ~£100 price tag. Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz.

As part of the film festival there are several "enhanced" Edgar Wright film screenings - sort of like what Secret Cinema do in London, except without the ~£100 price tag. Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz.

That looks fun. I went to a big lebowski one in London it was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I wonder how many festivals Edinburgh hosts in total - this (http://www.edinburghfestivalcity.com) would suggest 12 !

Only 12? Assume that's just in August is it link isn't working for me.

I ended up going to see Melt Banana in the Caves on Niddry Street South last night, and was pretty impressed with it as a venue for live music. I'm not sure how often they have gigs on, but it seems worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Only 12? Assume that's just in August is it link isn't working for me.

Everything is a festival in Edinburgh. Having an event? Have 3 more similar events and call it a festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Hi all, I've just found this forum hidden in the "Abroad" section, brilliant :)  Living in Edinburgh about 6 years or so.  Just looking forward to the Fringe at the minute.  Judging by the posts, some of you may be interested in the EH6 festival in October; lots of live music, across various venues around Leith - looks good!
    Fysh, I'm trying to do more cycling, particularly trying to cycle in and out to work but it's a bit hit & miss at the moment!  Cramond or Portobello is my usual relaxed cycle if I head out in the evenings.  Check out the Innertube map, or Spokes have a map to purchase online, which shows lots of different cycle paths & networks for inspiration.

Advertisement