Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh chat thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The city really feels dead the last couple of days with the post-festival exodus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

The city really feels dead the last couple of days with the post-festival exodus.

Yeh its so weird you get used to the crowds then all of a sudden they are gone overnight! It is nice to get back to normal at the same time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeh its so weird you get used to the crowds then all of a sudden they are gone overnight! It is nice to get back to normal at the same time though.

Brace yourself.... The Students are coming.

Fuuuck missed the aurora last night. It was supposed to be pretty intense too.

kj13w1q1bkkz.jpg

Dam didn't hear about that at all!

• Advertisement

Dam didn't hear about that at all!

I have an app that warns me of high activity which causes auroras but I woke up this morning with an alert from 3am. No good to me now!

This was the activity recorded last night. Usually above the orange line you might see something. This was well into the red.

0gm6Wt4.jpg

The graph has pushed into the red again, pity the forecast for this evening is total cloud cover.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

On the cycling front, I ended up joining Sustrans there, and one of the things I'm looking forward as a member to is the choice of a couple of free cycle route maps. I tend to be a fairweather cyclist so as we head inexorably towards more feeble weather, I need new routes to try out to keep my interest.

On a different note - there are a couple of things coming up in Edinburgh including the Tequila festival (bit spendy for my tastes, since I'm not sure how much I'd get out of trying a variety of tequilas) and Oktoberfest (11th-15th October). Anyone spotted other events worth looking out for in the near future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

In the market for a bike myself now, will probably wait for the cycle to work scheme to open in work before I get one. Nothing fancy, a hybrid will do. Just bought a house in "the sticks" aka past the bypass so it's back on the rothar for me.
    Looking forward to the snappy January mornings already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Fysh wrote: »
     Anyone spotted other events worth looking out for in the near future?

There's an "Edinburgh Irish Culture & Heritage Day" coming up at the end of September. And a cocktail weekend in October. 

The Krafty Brew EH6 Festival in Leith looks good for live music :)  & there's an Outdoor Film Tour in the Hub at the end of October.

Got my bike on Saturday so it's the canal out and in for me now, what a beautiful commute though, has the urban side and then rural before and after the bypass.

Went to The Bridge Inn in Ratho too over the weekend, just off the canal itself, definitely worth stopping for a tipple if you fancied a weekend cycle, food is very, very good too, you can order the restaurant menu in the bar ... I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Red sky at night.

Looks like The Dome's Xmas Decorations went up (at least externally) over the weekend.
    I always thought it was in November they went up?

razorblunt wrote: »
    Looks like The Dome's Xmas Decorations went up (at least externally) over the weekend.
    I always thought it was in November they went up?

They always seem to one of the first. I saw some street decorations up in one town already too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

The Beer Kitchen on Lothian Road have their 'trees' up but no lights yet.

Massive installation going up on Castle Street/George Street too.
    Probably that Street of Lights.

Northern lights might be viewed in the lothians tonight apparently. Pretty cloudy though be lucky to get to see much by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Anyone had any issues with the snow today? I'm not too bad so far but tomorrow's walk to work looks set to be an adventure, of the "try not to break my face off the floor" variety...

Anyone had any issues with the snow today? I'm not too bad so far but tomorrow's walk to work looks set to be an adventure, of the "try not to break my face off the floor" variety...

I was driving home about half nine and the main roads were grand but some of the side roads were like ice rinks! I'm glad I'm not heading out into it today!!

• Advertisement

I was stuck at home yesterday, the estate is on a hill, some houses didn't bother clearing outside their own place if the neighbour's part was clear. This meant we could get down one hill but not up another. Selfish kants.

2 hours clearing the road then yesterday morning, salted it, another quick clear at 6pm another salting and we were able to get out this morning.

The footpaths in the city center are a disgrace, I saw only one place on George Street out trying to de-ice the front of their building.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I was stuck at home yesterday, the estate is on a hill, some houses didn't bother clearing outside their own place if the neighbour's part was clear. This meant we could get down one hill but not up another. Selfish kants.

2 hours clearing the road then yesterday morning, salted it, another quick clear at 6pm another salting and we were able to get out this morning.

The footpaths in the city center are a disgrace, I saw only one place on George Street out trying to de-ice the front of their building.

I had yaktrax on for my entire walk to work, although I saw plenty of folks powering along in normal business footwear (which I have to assume was both gripless and cold). Heck, I even saw two cyclists commuting to work, and of course neither of them had a helmet on because of the current fad of arguing that cycle helmets don't make a difference to injuries.

I had yaktrax on for my entire walk to work, although I saw plenty of folks powering along in normal business footwear (which I have to assume was both gripless and cold). Heck, I even saw two cyclists commuting to work, and of course neither of them had a helmet on because of the current fad of arguing that cycle helmets don't make a difference to injuries.

I walked from the tram stop to my office in my work shoes, I will NOT be doing that tomorrow morning. I pretty much skated up the street.

I was just out at lunch, most of its gone now so footpaths are a lot better having been heavily salted.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

Been a while since I had a look here, how are ye all? Survive the snow ok?

Grand stretch to the evenings, get to see daylight before and after work now :)

Yeah nice to be able to see the evenings getting longer! Fingers crossed the freezing temperatures don't materialise next week can't be going back to that again!

Is anyone going to own up to going to see Harry and Meghan :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

Grand stretch to the evenings, get to see daylight before and after work now :)

I was just thinking that on my walk home from work yesterday. Put a smile on my face.

Is anyone going to own up to going to see Harry and Meghan :pac:

If there was a bank holiday to be had from the wedding I'd have been there, maybe

Yes, I was the donkey that bit Harry!

It's great seeing the light in the evenings now, its definitely making me get out of the office in good time too.
    Should be back on the bike soon too, need to go on a reccy run down the canal paths to see what its like!

Yep, it's that wonderful time of the year where I pump up the tyres on the bike and maybe use it about 4 times

• Advertisement

So how much snow are we expecting next week. Everyone in Ireland seems to think the end of days is upon them.

Advertisement