Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yes, I was the donkey that bit Harry!

It's great seeing the light in the evenings now, its definitely making me get out of the office in good time too.
    Should be back on the bike soon too, need to go on a reccy run down the canal paths to see what its like!

I still find it a bit too cold to be cycling, I've taken up running to keep me active over the winter months. The light in the evenings is great though, lovely to be leaving the office before it's dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

So how much snow are we expecting next week. Everyone in Ireland seems to think the end of days is upon them.

Guessing there will be a fair bit. Looks like it could be one of those rare occasions where Edinburgh gets it worse than Glasgow what's that about ffs! I thought the whole point of Glasgow was to keep the bad stuff away from the night place!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

That's the snow starting, time to crack out the rosary beads and hope for the best

That's the snow starting, time to crack out the rosary beads and hope for the best

Nothing to the east of Edinburgh quite yet. It tried to snow around lunchtime but wasn't able to get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭biketard

Yeah, I opened the curtains this morning expecting a blanket of snow. Nothing at all.

You can see it's trying, but nothing of substance so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A dusting out my direction. I'd gritted the "Loan" last night though, but it would still have been passable anyway.
    Ingliston P&R was really quiet so I think many folk may have stayed at home. Tell ya what, its a lot harder scattering salt from a shovel than I thought it'd be!

Looking at yr.no I think tonight and tomorrow morning might get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭crushproof

See how it forms overnight and cross my fingers it paralyses the tram and bus network :)

So I'm sitting at work and we've got a good, albeit thin, base of snow outside. Wind's picking up too. Kids are at home instead of school, happy as Larry, and I just got a text that schools are off tomorrow too because of a red weather warning.

Still waiting for the big snow to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I made an early exit from work after lunch. The roads look bad if you're driving, saw a few fender benders on the way home. Careful out there!

got away from the office a while ago, took 1.5 hours to get the bus from Corstophine to Meadowbank. Mighty value for £1.70 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Went home from work at lunchtime. It's pure bitter out there, interesting to see what it'll be like overnight.

That was a fun afternoon!! Fair play to the bus drivers for still going all evening.

Never seen anything like this before :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Took me well over 2 hours to get from Leith to Slateford this afternoon, the tailbacks were something else!
    Getting off the bus it was easy to see why; all the cars were struggling for grip. The wind has eased off a bit, so it doesn't feel anywhere near as cold as earlier.

The office is closed and the pubs are open, seems a biteen of a session might be unavoidable

Dammit, our office is open as usual. Didn't even get away early yesterday.

It was actually a lovely walk in this morning, but I think I got really lucky as the sun was out and there was no wind at the time.

A colleague lives out in the Borders and had 2 feet of snow this morning. Might be more by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

It keeps looking as if it's going to stop and then whoosh another hour long snow storm hits - solid 30-40 cm here in the city centre.

It keeps looking as if it's going to stop and then whoosh another hour long snow storm hits - solid 30-40 cm here in the city centre.

It was drifting up against the door here as well. I had to brush some of it away earlier. Looks like another work from home day tomorrow as I doubt it's gonna be safe enough to travel then either.

Crap. It's not looking nice for walking home out there at all. Oh well, here goes...

• Advertisement

I used to have a fence here!

IMG_20180301_111841.jpg

So my sister-in-law was due to fly to Taiwan (via Doha) this morning at 7:45. Finally got confirmation late last night that it was (amazingly) still on schedule. I mean that's great and all, and the 100 airport bus was thankfully still running, but it did mean she needed to be dropped off at Waverly Bridge at 5 am. The main roads were pretty good, but getting out of the side street I'd been parked in for the past three days was quite an adventure.

Fort was open today they were getting a fair bit of bashing for it on social media! I'm certainly not driving anywhere unless it's essential!

That could involve going for milk though scotmid, coop, day to day and Lidl all out ffs!

What's left in the shops? I'm about to venture out but wondering if it's worth my time.

What's left in the shops? I'm about to venture out but wondering if it's worth my time.

Milk and bread were all gone when I ventured out earlier. Greggs was open though!

sounds like it'll be back to normal by monday, a colder version of normal but i'll take it! Gone through a lot of beer and 3 series of The Wire over the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Plenty in Morrison's Livingston. There were only a dozen semi skimmed milk left but they confirmed there's more in the back.
    I went there coming back from the gym, yes I was THAT guy in shorts!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Lads, it's feckin' cold out but I'm beyond happy at how much of the snow has melted. Just wish I hadn't left ondnof my gloves at home this morning...

Fysh wrote: »
    Lads, it's feckin' cold out but I'm beyond happy at how much of the snow has melted.

Yeah, me too. Never been so happy to walk into work in freezing cold rain.

• Advertisement

Ffs with the snow again >:(

Already got so soaked on the way to work I had to change my trousers when I got to the office. It's a fierce winter we're having this spring eh?

Advertisement