Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a tutor?

Options
  • 29-03-2017 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm just finishing up my first year of college and haven't been able to find a job so I was thinking about tutoring junior or leaving cert kids after the summer. The only problem is I didn't do exceptional in any of my classes for the LC. I got a few D's, C's and B's but no A's. I'm doing Classical studies in college as part of my degree so I thought I could tutor that, but I never did it for the JC or LC. I would be willing to look up past papers and get a better understanding of what the course entails. Do you think I could still tutor it? Even though I never did the exam?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Being able to tutor it requires a good knowledge of the course and marking schemes for relevant subjects.

Legally theres nothing to stop you doing it as there no regulation in this area.

So you'd be setting up as your own business but to be honest the way your coming across would not instill any confidence.
    I would say the market for classical studies grinds is very small - I've never seen any advertised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Megan2016 wrote: »
    I'm just finishing up my first year of college and haven't been able to find a job so I was thinking about tutoring junior or leaving cert kids after the summer. The only problem is I didn't do exceptional in any of my classes for the LC. I got a few D's, C's and B's but no A's. I'm doing Classical studies in college as part of my degree so I thought I could tutor that, but I never did it for the JC or LC. I would be willing to look up past papers and get a better understanding of what the course entails. Do you think I could still tutor it? Even though I never did the exam?

If you're providing a service, you should be suitably qualified and experienced both of which you are not. Teachers are experts of their subjects having studied to degree level but also complete teacher training in order to deliver that subject to the highest level i.e. leaving cert. They are also trained in how the subject is examined, corrected and deliver a syllabus. I can't understand why you think you would be able to do this having no qualifications and more importantly you have not even sat the exam yourself. Think about it - do you think you could do a bit of medicine to make an income? Get real and leave the teaching to the people who have slogged to get where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Megan2016

The reason I thought I could do it is because many of my friends tutor to get some extra cash.What your saying about needing qualifications isn't true there are so many college students who tutor teens, my college even asks students to volunteer to do it. I get what you're saying about me not being able to tutor Classical studies because I never set the exam. But you're wrong about needing qualifications. I know people in my year who would never have been able to afford full price tutors who were also teachers, less expensive college students were the ones who got them through their exams and into college. So don't put them down. I am willing to except that I can't tutor. Guess I'll have to figure out a different way to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

If you're providing a service, you should be suitably qualified and experienced both of which you are not. Teachers are experts of their subjects having studied to degree level but also complete teacher training in order to deliver that subject to the highest level i.e. leaving cert. They are also trained in how the subject is examined, corrected and deliver a syllabus. I can't understand why you think you would be able to do this having no qualifications and more importantly you have not even sat the exam yourself. Think about it - do you think you could do a bit of medicine to make an income? Get real and leave the teaching to the people who have slogged to get where they are.
    Was there really a need to try to rip her a new one in such an agressive way......there is a difference between a teacher and a tutor....your comprehension seems a bit off...... :-)

Megan2016 wrote: »
    The reason I thought I could do it is because many of my friends tutor to get some extra cash.What your saying about needing qualifications isn't true there are so many college students who tutor teens, my college even asks students to volunteer to do it. I get what you're saying about me not being able to tutor Classical studies because I never set the exam. But you're wrong about needing qualifications. I know people in my year who would never have been able to afford full price tutors who were also teachers, less expensive college students were the ones who got them through their exams and into college. So don't put them down. I am willing to except that I can't tutor. Guess I'll have to figure out a different way to make money.

Yes I'm aware third level students tutor some get paid and as you said some volunteer. If you are tutoring or whatever you want to call it - these students are obviously having trouble with the subject and require extra help but because they are paying for the service - they deserve to have someone who knows what they are talking about. I wouldn't dream of giving grinds/tutor in a subject I hadn't studied before. You have to remember that if you are only tutoring a student - you are affecting their lives - you could be giving incorrect information which could be the difference between a grade. Now if you were a third level graduate, there may a chance but your fresh from the leaving yourself.

I also resent that comment in bold - its an insult to the many teachers on this forum who work hard to get their students the best results they can get by saying third level students get them the grades from maybe an hour or two a week.

• Advertisement

Was there really a need to try to rip her a new one in such an agressive way......there is a difference between a teacher and a tutor....your comprehension seems a bit off...... :-)

Too many people think that anyone can teach/tutor and it's just not so. As I have said, a tutor that tells a student something that's incorrect can have consequences for the students grades. If she was to tutor for free - fair play but she wants to make an income when she has no experience in the subject. Anyway it doesn't matter because classical studies is a minimal subject in the lcert so the op won't be affecting many students.

Advertisement